Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Desmond - High Winds 4/5 December 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

The five warnings in full.

National Weather Warnings

STATUS RED

Rainfall Warning for Connacht, Donegal, Clare and Kerry
    Incessant falls of heavy rain overnight and for all of Saturday. Accumulations in excess of 70mm expected, with greater totals on higher ground.
    Issued:Friday 04 December 2015 09:00
    Valid:Friday 04 December 2015 18:00 to Sunday 06 December 2015 03:00

STATUS ORANGE

Wind Warning for Donegal, Galway, Leitrim, Mayo and Sligo
    Southwest winds with mean speed of 55 to 75 km/h will gust 100 to 120 km/h. Winds will be strongest for coastal areas.
    Valid:Friday 04 December 2015 09:00 to Saturday 05 December 2015 18:00

STATUS ORANGE

Rainfall Warning for Cavan, Clare, Cork and Limerick
    Incessant falls of heavy rain overnight and for all of Saturday. Accumulations of 50 to 70mm expected.
    Valid:Friday 04 December 2015 21:00 to Sunday 06 December 2015 03:00

STATUS YELLOW

Wind Warning for Leinster, Cavan, Monaghan, Roscommon, Cork, Kerry, Limerick, Tipperary and Waterford
    Southwest winds with mean speeds of 50 to 65km/h will gust 90 to 100km/h
    Valid:Friday 04 December 2015 15:00 to Saturday 05 December 2015 21:00

STATUS YELLOW

Rainfall Warning for Leinster, Monaghan, Tipperary and Waterford
    Heavy rain tonight and all day Saturday. Rainfall totals of 30 to 50 mm
    Valid:Saturday 05 December 2015 00:01 to Saturday 05 December 2015 23:59

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Fair enough but I still think it's over hyper
    Time will tell it's just my opinion.
    The west is well used to rain and bear in mind yesterday's rain was mainly a southeast event.

Local spot flooding is likely

Lots of flooding already here, ground is saturated. Will be flash flooding in locations this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

The west is well used to rain

As opposed to any other part of Ireland, where it only rains once in every 10 years on average.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Amazed at a red warning.
    Immediate danger to life isn't it?

Not necessary imo

There have been a number of deaths in storms where people drove into floods , Red warning covers all this type of incident. So not a danger to life, get real.

http://www.evoke.ie/news/priest-drowned-in-car-floods-ireland

Rescue 117 and Rescue 115 currently on a long range mission off the South West Coast, no idea what ship they are going to

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-11/centery:51/zoom:8

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

Can someone put that 70mm into perspective as in how much would fall in an average day/week? Just told someone we're getting 70mm and she laughed at me and measured it out on a ruler. (Not the first time a girl has laughed at me in such circumstances.)

Getting a bit breezy in Westport. Still dry though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Should be an interesting weekend. I have a lot of driving to do this weekend too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Its official,Met eireann now refering to it as storm desmond,already getting rough out on the coast in mayo,

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

The rain that fell yesterday in leinster was unreal, constant heavy rain all day from the early hours. Drove from Kilkenny to Dublin and the flooding on some of the smaller roads was unreal, even the motorways were full of water. The barrow is at breaking point in several locations so I find the yellow warning a little confusing for leinster. I understand the west will bare the brunt this time but there will still be up to 50mm of rain over the next 48hrs in leinster. I suppose it will be a very localised thing(as is every weather event in Ireland ha ha).If you live near a river or are already in a flooded area I would seriously be worried about the next couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Was almost completely calm here in south east Kerry at 7am,
    Really after picking up in the last few hours,weak enough gusts yet though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

Can someone put that 70mm into perspective as in how much would fall in an average day/week? Just told someone we're getting 70mm and she laughed at me and measured it out on a ruler. (Not the first time a girl has laughed at me in such circumstances.)

Give or take 3 inches of that's any use to you ...... Or to be a bit more precise it's 2.8 inches, basically a good amount of rain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Dry and bright for a time this afternoon, but becoming windy everywhere. Storm Desmond will bring some significant rainfall totals, with the rain arriving into the west and northwest later this afternoon, extending eastwards this evening. Wind and rain warnings in effect right across the country, including the highest level RED for rainfall. Southwest winds will increase strong and very gusty, with some severe gusts for west and northwest coastal areas. Feeling cool with highest temperatures of 10 to 12 degrees Celsius.

will bring some significant rainfall totals, with the rain arriving into the west and northwest later this afternoon, extending eastwards this evening. Wind and rain warnings in effect right across the country, including the highest level RED for rainfall. Southwest winds will increase strong and very gusty, with some severe gusts for west and northwest coastal areas. Feeling cool with highest temperatures of 10 to 12 degrees Celsius.

For Westport probably something like an average of 150mm in a month at this time of year. So 70+ in one weekend when the ground is already saturated and cannot hold any more water is significant. High ground would be higher still, maybe 150+, and that then flows down into the streams and rivers later.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Rescue 117 and Rescue 115 currently on a long range mission off the South West Coast, no idea what ship they are going to

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-11/centery:51/zoom:8

Update they are recovering a critically ill crewman from a cargo ship, Rescue 117 doing the job and Rescue 115 doing top cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

You can see the total daily rainfall for ME weather stations here:
    http://www.met.ie/climate/daily-data.asp

11 mm fell on Wednesday at Knock airport...

(totals by hour are shown in the charts if you scroll down)

data for yesterday isn't up yet though..

Edited to add: looking back at previous years, 70 mm, would be 1/3 of the monthly rainfall for December for Newport (closer to you than Knock)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Amazed at a red warning.
    Immediate danger to life isn't it?

Not necessary imo

It's a warning.

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

A warning such as this is quite valid. For example I can immediately think of three areas in Kerry that have the potential for landslide. It allows people be aware of the possibility of bad conditions and to plan accordingly.

Yesterday in West Limerick there was quite an amount of water present on the roads, so with further rainfall things won't get better.

It's about advising people rather than giving a cast iron guarantee that a weather event will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I don't get this thinking of saying a red warning might come and then only putting the red warning in operation so close to the event, how many people left areas in the Red Warning this morning thinking nothing about flooding etc and now are at work or away wondering what to do.

I've said it before we need advisories earlier than these warning for this type of setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Update they are recovering a critically ill crewman from a cargo ship, Rescue 117 doing the job and Rescue 115 doing top cover.

Aircorp CASA not available for top cover?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,372 ✭✭✭irishgeo

What's top cover?

Getting windy in mayo.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Wind picking up here in Ardfert, 10 min avg 29 kph, gust 61 kph

Report at 11.00:

Valentia gust 27, 39 Kts
    Mace 36, 46 Kts
    Bellmullet 32 ,47Kts

Nice bright morning so getting some work done around the place before the deluge :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Screenshot of Warnings and it has been named Storm Desmond.
    Screen-Shot-2015-12-04-at-11.22.14.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    As opposed to any other part of Ireland, where it only rains once in every 10 years on average.

Well I think the west gets about 3 times the annual east coast total.

Pinch of salt, but this model is showing up to 300mm on high ground in Donegal over a period of 36 hours.

nmm_uk1-25-36-4.png?04-12

Final update on this, Rescue 117 has recovered the casualty and on the way to Cork Hospital, Rescue 115 Returning to base in Shannon, great work well done.

irishgeo wrote: »
    What's top cover?

Getting windy in mayo.

Top cover is when a Rescue helicopter goes on a long range mission, an Air Corps Casa or in this case a second Coastguard Helicopter accompanies the helicopter in case of an emergency ditching or if the need to return to base with a problem, they carry life saving equipment in case it does have to ditch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭Weatherproof79

Pinch of salt, but this model is showing up to 300mm on high ground in Donegal over a period of 36 hours.

nmm_uk1-25-36-4.png?04-12

Damn that would eclipse last month's rain which saw the worst flooding in some areas Donegal since the 1960s. Could get very bad indeed. Coincidentally it was a Friday/Saturday event as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭Weatherproof79

Out of interest when is the last time we had a red warning for rain?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭pad199207

Out of interest when is the last time we had a red warning for rain?

Yah and actually how long is it going to to take for us to have a red warning for Snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Damn that would eclipse last month's rain which saw the worst flooding in some areas Donegal since the 1960s. Could get very bad indeed. Coincidentally it was a Friday/Saturday event as well

looks really hit and miss for my area in east galway
    between 30-50mm would be my guess
    and its not good when I'd be happy with "just" that
    last time there were charts like this last year it was overcooked for everywhere bar the mountainous areas
    fingers crossed

• Advertisement
Advertisement