Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Desmond - High Winds 4/5 December 2015

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Supercell wrote: »
    Yellow warnings for wind and rain in Leinster, I think I'll start a new thread for that.

/I'll get my coat :pac:

Don't worry...I'm off out!

Just behave and sort it between you.

Keep the volume on the TV down and just remember I've marked all the levels on the bottles in the drinks cabinet!!!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,342 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

About 7kt winds here currently, very sheltered from the SW in this location.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Wind really picking up in Cork City, beginning to whistle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Gusty in west Galway now. Quite mild. No rain yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭coillsaille

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I don't necessarily disagree...but you are dammed if you do and dammed if you don't!

Problem is that Met Eireann have 6 separate weather warnings in place, from red to yellow!!!

Red warning is just for rain, for western counties. Orange warning is for wind, which will be more widespread.

If everything is lumped on here into one red warning there are those who will be critical of that too!

Would it be possible to say Level 1 -2 or something like that in the title?
    It could get quite messy later if posters have to split their reports of conditions into wind and rain parts and post them in separate threads. Just my humble opinion..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I think this is the only way to accommodate the red rainfall warning situation, otherwise you have a thread title that many will interpret as being a red wind warning (which is not the case) and we'll be hearing about that for months afterwards.

It will also make it somewhat easier for people to find recent reports on wind or rain if they are mainly interested in one more than the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

The wind in Galway now is serious, where I am working the roof is creaking and making terrible noise, there are leaves blowing like snow, pretty scary right now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Don't worry...I'm off out!

Bring an umbrella. Oh wait, should that go in the Rain thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Storm desmond has knocked me to my feet while filming and stolen my hat,bugger

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I think this is the only way to accommodate the red rainfall warning situation, otherwise you have a thread title that many will interpret as being a red wind warning (which is not the case) and we'll be hearing about that for months afterwards.

Exactly! For every one person who suggests that there should be one thread, there will be two people afterwards moaning that they cancelled their trip from south Dublin to north Dublin because there was a red warning on Boards!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Dollseyes

Whereabouts are you squarecircles?

Roonagh point louisburgh mayo

Rain has arrived,turning very nasty now,This is unlike other storms in that the wind seems to be relentless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

My greenhouse will need serious work after this! Wild gusts south Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The M6 buoy report on met.ie has no wind data but this is partially available on the NDBC site, most recent hour reported (14z) was 42 kts, down from 44 kts at 13z.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

The wind is really whipping in Galway now!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

when will it be at its worst in south west, right now it is fairly windy

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Got my new Power supply unit for my desktop, which also updates my weather website. Storm Barney destroyed the PSU with a power cut, and I just installed the new one in the past hour, so up and running.
    Desmond better not do me any harm.

Currently a F5 with a highest gust just over 61km/hr.
    Location 6 miles north of Kilkenny city, exposed to the south west, west and north.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭littlema

Suffering windstorms, if the peak winds aren't TIL 9pm tonight, Ballymote hills will be blown away......VERY gusty here already as well as the sustained winds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Yes the main thing you notice about the wind is how relentless it is very strong sustained wind which will be almost continuous from now till Saturday evening/night in some places

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

RobertKK wrote: »
    Got my new Power supply unit for my desktop, which also updates my weather website. Storm Barney destroyed the PSU with a power cut, and I just installed the new one in the past hour, so up and running.
    Desmond better not do me any harm.

Currently a F5 with a highest gust just over 61km/hr.
    Location 6 miles north of Kilkenny city, exposed to the south west, west and north.

Do you not have it hooked up to surge protected sockets?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Currently gusting 45mph with recent gust of 63mph in Galway, very long sustained wind don't remember wind like this before.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Do you not have it hooked up to surge protected sockets?

Yes, but it was over 8 years old, so maybe it was one power cut too many.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Its bloody hairy here already lads. Nearly took the 2 kids out of my hands

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Dollseyes

Same here just outside Ballina, wind was lifting me while carrying a two year old and collecting 2 kids from school.. Kids couldn't walk to the car, nice kind chap helped me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

yop wrote: »
    Its bloody hairy here already lads. Nearly took the 2 kids out of my hands

Hard to believe it's only an orange warning for wind, its by far the worst wind since we moved in 3 years ago.
    If the worst is yet to come then I'm sleeping downstairs tonight.
    Living in a dormer house on a hillside outside Newport, Mayo.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

corsav6 wrote: »
    Hard to believe it's only an orange warning for wind, its by far the worst wind since we moved in 3 years ago.

I'm about 20km from you, and the office i work upstairs in the shed is currently vibrating the desk, that i haven't experienced before.
    And it hasn't even started yet!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Strong winds will calm a little late tonight and pick up again tomorrow. Ultimately it won't really calm down properly on the northwest coast until the early hours of Sunday morning when winds will drop off quickly.. Notice it's still shown to be very windy in Galway, Clare etc. even at that time, with inland gusts around 110 km/h.

arpegeuk-11-42-0_cdh3.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

corsav6 wrote: »

It is picking up alright, biggest gust so far in Castlebar was 76km/hr about 15 minutes ago.

Advertisement