Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Desmond - High Winds 4/5 December 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

This wind definitely is stronger than I have seen for a long time its dangerous right now walking in Galway City, people walking and holding onto buildings its so strong, I was stopped at traffic lights and the car was rocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Utdfan20titles

I'm going for a walk at 5pm.
    Am I likely to be blown away?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

yop wrote: »
    I'm about 20km from you, and the office i work upstairs in the shed is currently vibrating the desk, that i haven't experienced before.
    And it hasn't even started yet!! :)

That's the scary bit, its gonna be a long weekend.
    Strong winds will calm a little late tonight and pick up again tomorrow. Ultimately it won't really calm down properly on the northwest coast until the early hours of Sunday morning when winds will drop off quickly.. Notice it's still shown to be very windy in Galway, Clare etc. even at that time, with inland gusts around 110 km/h.

arpegeuk-11-42-0_cdh3.png

So if I read the map correctly then Clare and Galway are in for a worse time than us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

I'm going for a walk at 5pm.
    Am I likely to be blown away?

Little hint about where you might be in the country would help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Little hint about where you might be in the country would help :)

manchester?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 YeaYeaSure

Relatively quiet in west Limerick at the moment. Hopefully it will stay that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The wind looks like it will be worse further south.
    Wind rather than rain could be the talking point come Sunday
    We shall see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Just look at all the French and Spanish trawlers heading to Castletownbere in Co Cork for shelter, those boys don't go in unless its really bad

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/shipid:290916/zoom:10

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

corsav6 wrote: »
    So if I read the map correctly then Clare and Galway are in for a worse time than us.

That's just what that model is showing for gusts during that particular hour. The winds have eased off to the northwest at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

That's just what that model is showing for gusts during that particular hour. The winds have eased off to the northwest at that point.

Thanks maq.
    What part of the country are you in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

corsav6 wrote: »
    Thanks maq.
    What part of the country are you in?

Waterford. Parts of the city were badly flooded here yesterday but not expecting much in terms of wind or rain from this down here this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

YeaYeaSure wrote: »
    Relatively quiet in west Limerick at the moment. Hopefully it will stay that way.

Different west limerick to me, very windy here but I am exposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Padster90s

Up with family in northeast Galway. Wind is very strong and sustained, roof is starting to creak. Don't know how we'll manage this till Sunday morning!! No rain yet, worried to be honest, its fairly scary outside and we're still 2 hours off the red alert kicking in....
    Lights are flickering too. One long weekend ahead (I know the red alert is for rain but the wind is causing enough problems without a flood on top of it)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

Stay safe guys

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭shmaupel

Gusting 54kmph here in south west Donegal (1.5mm rain so far)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 YeaYeaSure

ch750536 wrote: »
    YeaYeaSure wrote: »

Different west limerick to me, very windy here but I am exposed.

Im fairly exposed to the southwest here myself but this is much quieter than the last few storms so far. I know tis early yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭elaney

Very scary here in east galway . Im surrounded by trees hoping it eases a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

elaney wrote: »
    Very scary here in east galway . Im surrounded by trees hoping it eases a bit.

Yeah, it is rather wild out. Just watching my neighbours new shed disintegrate. It's one of those cheap corrugated ones but he would have hoped for it to last longer than a week!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Picture from Galway City Tribune of Salthill, spot the swimmer needs head examined.

https://www.facebook.com/ConnachtTribune/photos/a.154527567936827.36001.148746965181554/984774164912159/?type=3&theater

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Measured ASCAT winds at 11:43 today. Some nice 50-kt vectors well out to sea.

370668.png

Donegal Airport 37 gust 52 kts at 4 pm.
    Mace Head 42 gust 58 kt. Its 10-minute mean speed reached a high of 23 m/s (45 kts) in the past hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,096 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

1600 met eireann reports - Mace head gusting 58 knots, Newport Mayo Gusting 56 knots , Belmullet 55 Knots....

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭elaney

Yeah, it is rather wild out. Just watching my neighbours new shed disintegrate. It's one of those cheap corrugated ones but he would have hoped for it to last longer than a week!

Yeah normally i don't notice the wind as i'm well sheltered but the last
    hour has been mad. :mad:

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Picture from Galway City Tribune of Salthill, spot the swimmer needs head examined.

https://www.facebook.com/ConnachtTribune/photos/a.154527567936827.36001.148746965181554/984774164912159/?type=3&theater

Still not as foolhardy as this fella https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnVqAJ2iq7Y

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Valentia sounding data at 12Z. Some nice windshear with height. The gust during the surface observation at that time was reported as 41 knots, which is around the speed from 100 m above the surface.

370669.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Getting even worse here (Sligo) - greenhouse is disintegrating in front of my eyes - trying to salvage the poly windows from the ditches but it's scary out there - we had a red wind warning last year and it did not feel as rough as this one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Storm 10 wrote: »

Fair play to him or her. Brave. Nothing stops those Blackrock folks. 365 days a year. They never miss a day. And I've never heard of any of them getting into trouble. Tough as old rope. I swim down there a lot, its all about timing and going with the flow on days like that. Hope its nicer on Xmas day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Kerry county council reporting a few tress down in North Kerry.

"Kerry County Council ‏@countykerry 8m8 minutes ago

Tree down blocking road to Duagh R555, KCC crew on the way there at the moment. Also tree down at Dromin L1018
    Gardaí are being notified."

Also a flight into Kerry diverted to Cork after two failed attempts at landing, landed safely.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97963619&postcount=8355

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Very steady avg of 35 kph SW here in Ardfert , still highest gust 66 kph

No rain yet, just a few drops.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭horsefarm

Jeez it's very windy here in the Dublin hills, can't imagine how bad it must be out whest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,096 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

1700 Reports, Malin Head gusting 59 knots

Advertisement