Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Desmond - High Winds 4/5 December 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

For what it's worth, WRF NMM 5km has 200mm over high ground in Mayo by 6pm Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭Weatherproof79

It showed 200-250mm over high ground in the severe flooding in Donegal last month. I'm not really familiar with it tho tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Last evening's EC didn't have anything too drastic wind wise
    (DO NOT REPRODUCE IMAGE)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Last evening's EC didn't have anything too drastic wind wise
    (DO NOT REPRODUCE IMAGE)

Even so, I think it's overdoing the gusts again, just like it did on Sunday. I can't see 75 kts anywhere. I would say <65 kts. Unless it is referring to mountain gusts?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭eastmayo

And still no rainfall warning from met eirann

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

FWVT wrote: »
    Even so, I think it's overdoing the gusts again, just like it did on Sunday. I can't see 75 kts anywhere. I would say <65 kts. Unless it is referring to mountain gusts?

It is mph on that image.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

7am Sat. Looks mean.

370590.PNG

New Moon

It is mph on that image.

Ah yes, so it is. That would be more like it. :)

I think max gusts will be in the range of around 120 km/h and restricted to coastal areas in the west. But nevertheless a long period of windy weather even if wind speeds won't be remarkable.

The rainfall looks like being the more interesting element though. Widespread flooding in the west possible.

15120600_2_0400.gif

David Rogers at 7.55 am said max gusts 90-100 kph.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Frontal analysis at 6am. Warm front drawing rapidly closer.

370593.PNG

Already getting a quite a few ominous sounding gusts here that have already broken the 34 knot barrier. As was the general view yesterday, gust speeds won't be the big issue with this event, but mean speeds look to be consistently high for an extended period so they will be quite noticeable.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭axe2grind

eastmayo wrote: »
    And still no rainfall warning from met eirann
    I am curious about this, surely well within time frame to issue some sort of an alert, even if it's amended as later guidance comes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Barna77 wrote: »
    Same here.

Bumpy take off... or no take off at all :mad:

From this thread, looks like there will be delays at least because of those strong winds.

We're going over and back to Gatwick in the one day tomorrow so it could really mess up our day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

The rain doesn't look like it's going to be so bad in the south (except for Kerry) am I right?

axe2grind wrote: »
    I am curious about this, surely well within time frame to issue some sort of an alert, even if it's amended as later guidance comes in.

Will be out in a few minutes.

Yeah they just removed the wind warning so expect new warnings soon

As expected

STATUS ORANGE

Wind Warning for Donegal, Galway, Leitrim, Mayo and Sligo
    Southwest winds with mean speed of 55 to 75 km/h will gust 100 to 120 km/h. Winds will be strongest for coastal areas.

Will be out in a few minutes.

But not for rain yet...

axe2grind wrote: »
    But not for rain yet...

More warnings will be added shortly. I'd imagine an orange rain warning too that might get upgraded to red later for certain areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

The wind seems to be coming from the west for now, some decent gusts early on too.
    I have a feeling this is going to be a long weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Red rainfall warning for Connaught Donegal Clare and Kerry

Yellow wind warning for other parts of the country, nothing about rainfall yet

A straight red.

STATUS RED

Rainfall Warning for Connacht, Donegal, Clare and Kerry

Incessant falls of heavy rain overnight and for all of Saturday. Accumulations in excess of 70mm expected, with greater totals on higher ground.

Orange warning for cavan Clare Cork and limerick. 50-70mm expected

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Amazed at a red warning.
    Immediate danger to life isn't it?

Not necessary imo

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭omicron

Amazed at a red warning.

Not necessary imo

They have set requirements for Red warnings, danger to life is not one of them, >70mm rain in 24 hrs is.
    The issue of RED level severe weather warnings should be a comparatively rare event and implies that recipients take action to protect themselves and/or their properties; this could be by moving their families out of the danger zone temporarily; by staying indoors; or by other specific actions aimed at mitigating the effects of the weather conditions
    2. Rain 70mm or greater in 24 hrs
    50mm or greater in 12 hrs
    40mm or greater in 6 hrs

Amazed at a red warning.

Not necessary imo
    Read here
    Red alert
    2. Rain 70mm or greater in 24 hrs
    50mm or greater in 12 hrs
    40mm or greater in 6 hrs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Fair enough but I still think it's over hyper
    Time will tell it's just my opinion.
    The west is well used to rain and bear in mind yesterday's rain was mainly a southeast event.

Local spot flooding is likely

Amazed at a red warning.

Not necessary imo

Last night you said you didn't see more than two inches 50mm of rain over 2-3 day period you said it was standard. Well you were wrong

It meets the criteria of a red warning. No immediate danger to your life? Yes there is for those near rivers, near flood plain. Roads near streams and burns etc. It's an incredible amount of rain falling so areas that don't usually flood will. And the West isn't used to this amount of rain hence the red warning

The models show it, met professionals are forecasting it. So what is your problem? Will it take a death to make it worthy of a red warning?

The one that blows a bit of transient snow out of proportion dismisses a red warning for no reason

• Registered Users Posts: 28,808 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

ould 'deasy' is on the way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭omicron

Fair enough but I still think it's over hyper
    Time will tell it's just my opinion.
    The west is well used to rain and bear in mind yesterday's rain was mainly a southeast event.

Local spot flooding is likely

Whether or not the criteria they've set for a red warning are correct is another issue, however in this case the pre-existing criteria have been met so they're right to issue the warning.

I reckon they probably shouldn't set the bar so low for red warnings, and they don't take regional differences into account (70mm in the east would have far more effect than in mountainous areas in the west) but that's an issue for another time.

Advertisement