Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Desmond - High Winds 4/5 December 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭omicron

Out of interest when is the last time we had a red warning for rain?

This is the first one but we haven't had the warning system very long, thinking of recent times I'd imagine November 2009 would have seen red warnings in the west if we had them at that time, with daily figures of up to 100mm in places although it was the repeated rainfall over a few weeks that caused most of the flooding.

September 2010 also had a day with 90mm in the south east but it fell on dry ground, would have qualified for a red warning in volume terms although the dry ground may have made it unnecessary.

October 2011, there was extremely heavy rain and flooding in the east, 70-90mm in the Dublin area and more in the mountains, led to serious flooding and would have been a red warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭omicron

pad199207 wrote: »
    Yah and actually how long is it going to to take for us to have a red warning for Snow?

Criteria for red warnings for snow are extremely low so I'd imagine we'll see one at some point, accumulations of 8cm below 250m asl is all that is required - would have had multiple red warnings for snow and also cold temperatures in the winters of 08/09, 09/10, Nov/Dec 2010 and March 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Gone very wild in Galway in the past few hours, very strong wind gusts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Our building is going on shutdown for the weekend in Cork city. Flood barriers going up. Prevention is better I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Gone very wild in Galway in the past few hours, very strong wind gusts

It should start to calm down again....around 3am Sunday morning. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭Storm 10

It should start to calm down again....around 3am Sunday morning. :P

Thanks maq is it likely to go to a Red Warning with this storm ?

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Thanks maq is it likely to go to a Red Warning with this storm ?

Nope. Just a long duration event. Nothing higher than around 120 kmh gusts.

UKMO has an Amber warning for 60-100mm likely widely and up to 200mm locally, under review for future updates and currently one notch below their highest level warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭squarecircles

*** Storm Desmond Update ***

Winds gusting locally at approx 100 kmh. No rain at present.

Achill coast guard via twitter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭Weatherproof79

UKMO has an Amber warning for 60-100mm likely widely and up to 200mm locally, under review for future updates and currently one notch below their highest level warning.

Yeah although just yellow for NI

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Storm Rachel, January 14th

Yes, and we all remember how that ended up
    Ui64Zu9.gif

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: Can we keep everything wind related to this thread. This thread is solely in relation to an orange warning for expected widespread strong winds to many parts of the country.

All rain related posts should be posted here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057531858

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Gusts fairly ramping up in Castlebar.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Wind picking up all the time here in Ardfert, 10 min avg 34 kph SW, gust 66 kph

Bar1016.3 hPa Falling Rapidly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Due to fly from Glasgow to Dublin in a Stobart ATR this evening, scheduled to arrive at 21.05.

Should be an interesting flight :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Dollseyes

getting fairly wild around Ballina (Mayo) now.. I was just lifted off the ground with that gust..

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭aisling86

We've kicked into first gear wind wise in cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,548 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Highest gust so far: 79.6 km/h at 12:28.

370632.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭woody1

looking out the window of an office in ballina looks and sounds grand to me, im sure when i get home to the sticks in an hours time itl be very different out there
    supposed to drive across the country and back tomorrow from the looks of it getting out of connacht will be the hardest bit might have to reconsider

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Aimsir

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Mod Note: Can we keep everything wind related to this thread. This thread is solely in relation to an orange warning for expected widespread strong winds to many parts of the country.

All rain related posts should be posted here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057531858

Maybe the name of the thread should be renamed as this weather event should really be in one thread for us followers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

Aimsir wrote: »
    Maybe the name of the thread should be renamed as this weather event should really be in one thread for us followers

I agree

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Aimsir wrote: »

I don't necessarily disagree...but you are dammed if you do and dammed if you don't!

Problem is that Met Eireann have 6 separate weather warnings in place, from red to yellow!!!

Red warning is just for rain, for western counties. Orange warning is for wind, which will be more widespread.

If everything is lumped on here into one red warning there are those who will be critical of that too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Hooter23

The winds in Galway are very sustained.. gusts not too bad though with all the rain forecast and the winds to last so long it wont take extreme gusts to bring down trees id say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Are the winds expected to get stronger than what we're experiencing now?
    It's very windy outside Newport, NW Mayo at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,094 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Extremely windy in Castlebar now, sustained strong wind!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,339 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I don't necessarily disagree...but you are dammed if you do and dammed if you don't!

Problem is that Met Eireann have 6 separate weather warnings in place, from red to yellow!!!

Red warning is just for rain, for western counties. Orange warning is for wind, which will be more widespread.

If everything is lumped on here into one red warning there are those who will be critical of that too!

Yellow warnings for wind and rain in Leinster, I think I'll start a new thread for that.

/I'll get my coat :pac:

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Winds steadily ramping up in mayo,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

O-bla-dee, o-bla-dah, life goes on, yah ...

Peak winds will be around 9 p.m. to 11 p.m. according to guidance, that's when the gradient is strongest. It gets incrementally stronger each hour to then, and afterwards begins to reduce especially north of Mace Head. I would estimate that the peak winds at any location will be 20-25% stronger than they are now if wind direction doesn't shift. So if you presently have 80 km/hr gusting to 100, that could peak at 100 gusting to 125. (I am indicating that gusts are not that much stronger than mean wind speeds in this event).

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭sc9736

Hi All,

Quick question, group of us are due to do the Clonakility Cork Marathon tomorrow morning at 9am.

I have tried numerous attempts to get a reply from organisers if it will be going ahead.....and we are due to travel down this evening from Dublin.

Do you reckon it will be very bad then? Its right along seafront

Many thanks
    S

• Advertisement

O-bla-dee, o-bla-dah, life goes on, yah ...

Peak winds will be around 9 p.m. to 11 p.m. according to guidance, that's when the gradient is strongest. It gets incrementally stronger each hour to then, and afterwards begins to reduce especially north of Mace Head. I would estimate that the peak winds at any location will be 20-25% stronger than they are now if wind direction doesn't shift. So if you presently have 80 km/hr gusting to 100, that could peak at 100 gusting to 125. (I am indicating that gusts are not that much stronger than mean wind speeds in this event).

Also a second phase of strong winds around equal strength tomorrow.

Advertisement