Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Desmond - High Winds 4/5 December 2015

Options
1131415161719»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,808 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

waterways wrote: »
    Sorry lads but all the talking about walking the dog along the shore or around the headland in gale force winds and swimming in the sea in rough conditions, I don't want to read that sort of stuff anymore. It is reckless. :mad: rant off
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/1206/751678-hook-head-teenagers-rescued/

i was watching a chap surfing yesterday. met another two lads considering going kitesurfing. ive seen lads surfing in similar weather before. they have my respect. even though i know where you're coming from, i respect people that stick their necks out from time to time in these conditions. if we experienced hurricanes and tornadoes like some parts of this world, id be out there chasing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭waterways

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    i was watching a chap surfing yesterday. met another two lads considering going kitesurfing. ive seen lads surfing in similar weather before. they have my respect. even though i know where you're coming from, i respect people that stick their necks out from time to time in these conditions. if we experienced hurricanes and tornadoes like some parts of this world, id be out there chasing them.

I have followed surfing events worldwide but these guys know how to promote their sport without bringing others at risk. Where is the line?

Beyond that, the weather forum, was (is?) a science forum.
    Point.

Not that the lads that are running weather stations at home don't like a joke, but in a responsible way. What has been / is going on here the last days is incredible. This isn't afterhours, why don't respect people that? At times I have felt in the last two days as if people have left their brain elsewhere before any wind has picked up. No wonder that all the regular valuable posters are no longer here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,111 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

. No wonder that all the regular valuable posters are no longer here.

There are certainly some very valuable posters still here, some of which are relatively new to the fourm.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,808 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I have followed surfing events worldwide but these guys know how to promote their sport without bringing others at risk. Where is the line?

Beyond that, the weather forum, was (is?) a science forum.
    Point.

Not that the lads that are running weather stations at home don't like a joke, but in a responsible way. What has been / is going on here the last days is incredible. This isn't afterhours, why don't people respect that? At times I have felt in the last two days as if people have left their brain elsewhere before any wind has picked up. No wonder that all the regular valuable posters are no longer here.

it is a good point alright. unfortunately since this new age of social media, people seem to be taking increased risks in adverse weather just so they can get hits on social media more so than anything else. this is extremely dangerous behaviour, as you said, people like pro surfers are exactly that, pro, i.e. they know what theyre doing. ive stuck my neck out many times in dangerous situations, not to make myself look good but because it basically makes me feel alive and i have an interest in extreme weather etc. i was glad to see many others out and about the last couple of days that were in the same boat.

im thinking of that girl from the hook incident, her family and friends tonight. i wish them well.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Sorry lads but all the talking about walking the dog along the shore or around the headland in gale force winds and swimming in the sea in rough conditions, I don't want to read that sort of stuff anymore. It is reckless. :mad: rant off

I've been down at Hook Head during stormy weather and the one place you don't go is near the rocks,it can be dodgy enough on a good day.It's grand to witness the power of the sea from the car park-you are pretty near the shoreline anyway.Anyone that goes close to the waters edge down there in bad weather is asking for trouble.
    All along that coast there have been incidents of people ending up in the water due to freak waves even in good weather.
    Anyhow,our thoughts are with the injured parties and their families.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Carnacalla wrote: »
    There are certainly some very valuable posters still here, some of which are relatively new to the fourm.

I have a weatherstation on my Xmas list so hopefully we get a chance to pop down to maplins and pick it up.
    Living 3 miles from Newport and at a decent height so hopefully some interesting data.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭moeblogs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    it is a good point alright. unfortunately since this new age of social media, people seem to be taking increased risks in adverse weather just so they can get hits on social media more so than anything else.

No, people always took advantage of dangerous conditions to do crazy things, always, it's the nature of being alive. Risk, excitement, life. The social media element you talk of is only reporting it more. Just as people are saying on the thread that everyone gets hysterical now about a bit of wind - its the instant media that whirls itself into a frenzy.

Everything is just as it always was. People can be a bit crazy. Sometimes they die because of it. Most times they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I would agree with you regarding the swimming however I know my beach & the local conditions better than anyone. I have walked along there over 9000 times. I also checked the tide height before walking.

Many people are irresponsible. I am definitely not ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Amazed at a red warning.
    Immediate danger to life isn't it?

Not necessary imo

Well what are your comments now on storm Desmond considering you said it was all over hyped, one poor man dead in a flood in Monaghan and you quoted the above. Homes and business destroyed by still rising floods hundreds of flights cancelled I could go on but I won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Honister in Cumbria got 341mm in 24hrs from Desmond :eek:

Thats over three times what fell in Claremorris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭Weatherproof79

Yeah impressive 356m asl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Sure that's only enough to wet your toes...

/ gets coat >>>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

/ gets coat >>>

Gets coat.....comes back for wellies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Storm Desmond will be more known for its rainfall and flooding than for its winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,111 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Jpmarn wrote: »
    Storm Desmond will be more known for its rainfall and flooding than for its winds.

The winds most noticeable problem was the 150+ cancelled Ryanair flights at Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Some of the flooding damage around Galway is devastating, mostly people who couldn't get insurance after 2009. Very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Your heart would break for those being reported on on the 9pm news. Devastating for so many.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Here is Met Éireann's agri summary of the past 7 days:
    Farming Weather Analysis
    Tuesday 08 December 2015 16:00

Rain
    Vast quantities of rain fell in all parts of the country during the past seven days. All places recorded at least twice normal amounts for the first week of December, and many parts of the northwest, west and southwest returned three to four times the weekly average. The coming seven days will not be as wet as this recent exceptional period, and it is likely that eastern parts of Leinster will record only 50-75% of normal totals. However, it will be wetter to the north and west of this region, with the further reaches of western and northwestern counties likely to receive between 125 and 200% of normal over the week.

Temperatures
    Mean air temperatures for the past week were above normal everywhere by about 0.5 to 1 degree Celsius on average. Predictions for the coming week indicate that it will be much milder than normal everywhere, with positive mean air temperature anomalies of 2 to 3.5 degrees Celsius generally. Mean soil temperatures will continue on the high side of normal also in the next seven days, with similar positive anomalies.

Sunshine
    Being such a wet week gone by, it is no surprise that there was no significant sunshine in some parts of the country. In fact, all areas were generally dull, and only parts of the north and west coast reached about 50% of normal sunshine hours for early December. The coming week may not be quite as dull overall but the ongoing unsettled pattern will make it difficult for normal sunshine hours to be attained.

Drying Conditions
    This is normally the worst time of the year for drying, and this December is no exception to the rule.

Spraying
    Similarly, there will be little if any opportunity for spraying in the coming week given the ongoing changeability.

Field Conditions
    All lands are either saturated or waterlogged, and flooding near many watercourses in the western half of the country will continue to be an issue in the days ahead.

Further Comments
    A brief cold interlude this coming Thursday and Friday may result in some wintry showers over higher ground in the north and northwest, with a possible dusting of snow on mountain tops. However, there are no indications that any hard frosts will occur at night anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,949 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

/ gets coat >>>

Gets boat!

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Advertisement