Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Desmond - High Winds 4/5 December 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭Comhrá

pad199207 Anyone who hasnt heard siobhan say 'excessive' 'relentless' or 'incessant' should watch the six one forecast!

Rosenstock, take note!

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

CVUOhI5W4AEKBTc.jpg:large
    laurel bends,Isle of Man
    CVUaYOgWEAI6Tpj.jpg:large
    Parliment Square courtesy Paul Philips tweeter

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

12Z ECM seems to have rain over parts of the country continously from Friday evening to Sunday morning. And a further spell of rain Sunday night into Monday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

I can confirm that there were various roads with flooding in West Limerick today and one diversion as a result of flooding that I'm aware of.

Travelling tertiary roads, particularly in hilly locations I encountered a "flooded" roads that were passable with care. The standard of driving observed was generally poor given road conditions with several motorists observed entering standing water on the road whereby the water thrown up obscured driver visibility.

On the motorway, there was a lot of surface water encountered and this resulted in a lot of reduced visibility due to spray from large vehicles.

While the rain was reasonably heavy it wasn't actually too bad. It was the sheer length of time that it fell for at a consistemt rate and the already saturated ground conditions that brought about what I encountered.

I fully expect impeded travel over the weekend due to the forecast conditions, especially on the tertiary road network.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭cml387

Drove from Clonmel to Mullingar in relentless driving rain.
    And I'm supposed to pick up a gang from Dublin Airport tomorrow evening and drive back to Clonmel.

Looking forward to it:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

cml387 wrote: »
    Drove from Clonmel to Mullingar in relentless driving rain.
    And I'm supposed to pick up a gang from Dublin Airport tomorrow evening and drive back to Clonmel.

Looking forward to it:eek:

I'll be on the road late Friday night / early Saturday morning and am prepared for a careful drive. I honestly don't expect any issues on the motorway and national primary road network, its the tertiary roads that would present anything of interest.

To those travelling, simply heed prevailing weather conditions and adjust to suit. I carry some common sense gear appropriate to the conditions I expect to encounter so that if I do run into a problem and am delayed, I am self sufficient and not reliant on anyone else to come to my aid (barring a genuine emergency or major breakdown etc...)

Tactical wrote: »
    I'll be on the road late Friday night / early Saturday morning and am prepared for a careful drive. I honestly don't expect any issues on the motorway and national primary road network, its the tertiary roads that would present anything of interest.

To those travelling, simply heed prevailing weather conditions and adjust to suit. I carry some common sense gear appropriate to the conditions I expect to encounter so that if I do run into a problem and am delayed, I am self sufficient and not reliant on anyone else to come to my aid (barring a genuine emergency or major breakdown etc...)

The left lane on one section of the M9 had to be closed earlier due to flooding. Heavy persistent rain can cause problems even on motorways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

I'm a bit nervous about the weekend now. SW winds are funnelled through the landscape and really pack a punch, we're fairly sheltered from other directions.
    Rainfall around Newport has been unreal in the last few weeks, not sure how much more we can take before the stream running down our land starts coming onto the driveway.
    Our driveway has chippings and is at a steep angle so every few months we need to cover it again. Since the start of the month it's become nearly undrivable, there's a large pile of chippings at the bottom and ridges created by the water flowing down.

Sorry for the long post.
    Tldr: pissed off with all the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭cml387

The left lane on one section of the M9 had to be closed earlier due to flooding. Heavy persistent rain can cause problems even on motorways.

True. The M8 had particular problems after opening but in fairness it was pretty ok this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Rainfall totals up to 12pm Saturday as forecast by HIRLAM. The high totals in the east include today's forecast totals.

15120512_2_0312.gif

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,850 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Compared to vanilla GFS (12z anyway) I would have thought totals on the west coast would be quite a bit higher than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭shmaupel

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Rainfall totals up to 12pm Saturday as forecast by HIRLAM. The high totals in the east include today's forecast totals.

15120512_2_0312.gif

That '53mm' is pretty much exactly where I live.

Just got my weather station back up and running yesterday so will be interested to see how the rainfall mounts up.

Edited to add: we've had zero rainfall today btw

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

15120512_2_0312.gif

Interesting to see the difference on the models. Euro4 more than double that in places by the same time.

15120512_2_0312.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

corsav6 wrote: »
    I'm a bit nervous about the weekend now. SW winds are funnelled through the landscape and really pack a punch, we're fairly sheltered from other directions.
    Rainfall around Newport has been unreal in the last few weeks, not sure how much more we can take before the stream running down our land starts coming onto the driveway.
    Our driveway has chippings and is at a steep angle so every few months we need to cover it again. Since the start of the month it's become nearly undrivable, there's a large pile of chippings at the bottom and ridges created by the water flowing down.

Sorry for the long post.
    Tldr: pissed off with all the rain.

I live at the bottom of a hill with a pond about 50 yards away from us, the pond is now full so our drainage pipes are useless now and its backing back up into our site, our neighbour got flooded earlier, ours didnt but the house looks like its sitting in a moat, i am not looking forward to the weekend

Interesting to see the difference on the models. Euro4 more than double that in places by the same time.

I'd not discount either as both are pretty good at given a general overview of rainfall totals. I think during the last wet spell in early Nov, Euro4 tended closer to the mark for here locally at least, but at the same time, can overdo totals too. A conundrum :o

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Siobhan just said we could see a Red Warning coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,111 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Villain wrote: »
    Siobhan just said we could see a Red Warning coming!

For wind?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Some forecast from Siobhan just now!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Met just mentioned a possibility of a red alert.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

A bit ott I thought.
    My wise old years I've seen many a situation where Met Eireann react to conditions rather than predict.
    I stated last night that today would see exceptional rainfall which we did
    The next few days looks more normal stuff to me.
    Yes it will add to totals but in general shouldn't be disruptive with a period of low tides coinciding.

As for a possible red warning........no cigar!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

leahyl wrote: »
    Some forecast from Siobhan just now!

What did she say ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,850 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Sheer volume of rain forecast for the west coast could trigger a red in places, I reckon.

Cancelled my trip to Cork on Saturday on account of likely conditions. No point facing a long drive if its going to be dangerous.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    For wind?

I would guess for rainfall since models like the Euro4 are showing around 80-100mm over 24 hours in places in the west. Red warning criteria is 70+ in 24 hours.
    Met Eireann don't use Euro4 but perhaps their hi-res models are showing potential for something similar now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Hooter23

There was alot more emphasis on the heavy rain than the winds on the forecast with such a prolonged period of heavy rain and strong winds it wont take much to bring down trees not surprised there was mention of a red warning...

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

I would guess for rainfall since models like the Euro4 are showing around 80-100mm over 24 hours in places in the west. Red warning criteria is 70+ in 24 hours.
    Met Eireann don't use Euro4 but perhaps their hi-res models are showing potential for something similar now?

What time does the latest Euro4 roll out next maq?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Sheer volume of rain forecast for the west coast could trigger a red in places, I reckon.

Cancelled my trip to Cork on Saturday on account of likely conditions. No point facing a long drive if its going to be dangerous.

The roads in Cork City are in total sh*te today, lots of flooding (not as bad as parts of the East by all accounts) but if there's more on the way it's not going to be pleasant :(

What time does the latest Euro4 roll out next maq?

In a couple of hours.

Have to say, Siobhan Ryan seemed quite grave about the situation in her forecast after the nine news. She spoke about a possible 'Red' warning being issued for tomorrow night and Saturday.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Yes she mentioned up to 100mm of rainfall which would warrant a Red warning imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Its gonna be a long haul for people living areas prone to strong SW winds!

24-289UK_okv7.GIF

45-289UK_mfl6.GIF

Advertisement