Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rotterdam Marathon 10th April '16

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Was just thinking of you, assuming you'd decided based on good race today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

According to their facebook page Rotterdam Marathon is nearly sold out, so for anyone still in the 'maybe' camp now's the time to register!

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

ASIMON0V wrote: »
    Just a thought but why not keep your 5 days, and reduce your immediate aspiration on target pace for your speedwork. The goal isn't to hit your paces in speedwork - its to optimise the training load....

Never thanked you for your advice or reported back! Thank you. I powered through and hitting the targets fine now. Think it just took me a while to get back to proper fitness after being sick over Xmas.

Just ordered my new marathon shoes! A shiny new pair of Brooks Pureflow. Anyone else splurging for the occasion?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Myself and another lad booked into the Bilderberg Park Hotel. No flights booked yet. Must get on it. Oh yes, and training. That's the other thing I've been meaning to get to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Hope training is going okay for all.
    Another long run ticked off today. 2 months and it'll all be over. ;)

• Advertisement

Hope training is going okay for all.
    Another long run ticked off today. 2 months and it'll all be over. ;)

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Only 5 long runs to go :D

7 is you count easy week long runs, but I don't. 5 LONG ONES TO GO!!!!!

Apologies to anyone running long tomorrow ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,756 ✭✭✭corny

18 miles today. Cold wind and hail stones in the face. Why do we bother?:confused:

Its all about timing ;). Got 31k in yesterday, 13k in today in sunshine after the snow showers. Good vibes to fellow Rotterdamers.

corny wrote: »
    18 miles today. Cold wind and hail stones in the face. Why do we bother?:confused:

because we LOVE it! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

26k (or 16miles) of a god damn hilly run done yesterday. Those hill would make it 30-32k on flat roads!

I rebooked my accommodation last night changed for a central apartment on Airbnb, I know it's marathon weekend but places are fairly expensive at this stage. If you haven't done it already I'd book now or you'll get totally ripped off given its normally a cheap place to stay every other weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Only 5 long runs to go :D

7 is you count easy week long runs, but I don't. 5 LONG ONES TO GO!!!!!

Apologies to anyone running long tomorrow ;)

What are we constituting as a long run?

Long runs for me left are between 31 and 33k, around that.

What are we constituting as a long run?
    Long runs for me left are between 31 and 33k, around that.

Yah 18 miles and upwards :)

Yah 18 miles and upwards :)

Using a P&D 12week 55miler plan and they only have 2 long runs at 20 miles each.

Yes have psyched me out now 😭

Sold out now! they're expecting 40,000 runners between all the races :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

40,000 runners in total that means there should be great support around the course to carry us home!

40,000 runners in total that means there should be great support around the course to carry us home!

carry us home? deadly, I can rest up for the next few weeks so :p

Another long run ticked off. 100km for the week. Conditions tough today with gusting wind.

Looking at some Dutch footy at the moment. Considering going to a match over the weekend. Local club Excelsior are playing at home on Sat evening, so that might be an option. Website is double dutch though. :rolleyes: I'll decide nearer the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Another long run ticked off. 100km for the week. Conditions tough today with gusting wind.

Looking at some Dutch footy at the moment. Considering going to a match over the weekend. Local club Excelsior are playing at home on Sat evening, so that might be an option. Website is double dutch though. :rolleyes: I'll decide nearer the weekend.

Was considering the same myself, it doesn't have the same appeal as De Kuip and a Feyenoord home game though. Mind you there is little difference in Excelsior and Feyenoord going by the Dutch League table.

• Advertisement

No long run for me last week. Not 100% - between heel pain and other things I had a poor week over all. Even the 10 miler yesterday wasn't up to much. Just one of them weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

No long run for me last week. Not 100% - between heel pain and other things I had a poor week over all. Even the 10 miler yesterday wasn't up to much. Just one of them weeks.

Shame to hear, it'll not make or break your marathon. Just one of those weeks as you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

Just took a look at the course in Strava. Had is in my head that it was pancake flat. Strava has the elevation gain at 844ft and says my gain was 577 ft for Dublin last year. Is that right? Maybe I should hit up a hill or 2 tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭aero2k

paulers06 wrote: »
    Just took a look at the course in Strava. Had is in my head that it was pancake flat. Strava has the elevation gain at 844ft and says my gain was 577 ft for Dublin last year. Is that right? Maybe I should hit up a hill or 2 tonight!

My Garmin from last year shows 454 ft of elevation gain. https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/746941203

It's definitely not pancake flat, but I reckon it's about 1 min faster than Dublin given similar weather conditions. The only notable hills are the bridge (twice in opposite directions) which is long and gentle, and there are a couple of short sharp inclines as you get back towards the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

paulers06 wrote: »

Hills should be included in every marathon training programme regardless of course profile but as demfad says it's as close to pancake as makes no difference, very fast course and more than 1 minute faster than Dublin. I'd estimate 2 to 5 minutes faster depending on your pace.

aero2k wrote: »
    My Garmin from last year shows 454 ft of elevation gain. https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/746941203

It's definitely not pancake flat, but I reckon it's about 1 min faster than Dublin given similar weather conditions.

I sincerely hope in my case its a lot more than 1 min faster than Dublin :o

If you thought I was panicking earlier I'm completely freaked out now :eek: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

One other big factor; road conditions.

The state of the roads in Ireland (DCM in particular) plays a huge role in my opinion. The roads in Holland are generally way better and in Rotterdam, smooth.

Rotterdam has no climb or hills, just small drags. Nothing at all if you run hills. Hill training is where it's at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Firedance wrote:
    I sincerely hope in my case its a lot more than 1 min faster than Dublin

Depends on time. I would hazard 90-120sec for a 3hr runner. The gains are bigger as you increase in time, smaller as you get closer to WR time!

Depends on time. I would hazard 90-120sec for a 3hr runner. The gains are bigger as you increase in time, smaller as you get closer to WR time!

how does an hour sound :pac: I'm being facetious - I'm not comparing like with like as training/fitness etc are vastly different this time around so its not really a case of which course is faster in my case it's (hopefully) that I'm faster!

• Advertisement

Did a 5mile recovery run tonight

Fell apart after the 2nd one.

It's going to be a long few weeks

Advertisement