Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rotterdam Marathon 10th April '16

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

snailsong wrote: »
    Last 20 miler for me this morning. Did about 15k on a bog trail and loved it. 10k race next week then taper.

Kilmovee ? I think I'm going to run that myself. I was wondering is a 10k 2 weeks out advisable? What's the conventional wisdom on the subject? Did 27 mile run yesterday as my last really long run but still have a 18 or 20 miler left. Everyone has their own ideas but I think 3 weeks is too long without a long run, I'd at least fit in a 2 hour run in that time. Il do a 13 or 15 on the Sunday before with a large chunk at marathon pace maybe 10 miles but after next weekends race all the in between days will be easy 5 or 6 mile runs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Kilmovee ? I think I'm going to run that myself. I was wondering is a 10k 2 weeks out advisable? What's the conventional wisdom on the subject? Did 27 mile run yesterday as my last really long run but still have a 18 or 20 miler left. Everyone has their own ideas but I think 3 weeks is too long without a long run, I'd at least fit in a 2 hour run in that time. Il do a 13 or 15 on the Sunday before with a large chunk at marathon pace maybe 10 miles but after next weekends race all the in between days will be easy 5 or 6 mile runs.

Take it that elusive sub 2.30 is the target up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Looks like Rotter is out for me. Did my foot in on Friday night doing an 11 miler. Attempted a 20miler today but foot went after 9miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

ultrapercy wrote: »

Well done last week man, cracking run. I think most conventional advice will go against running a 10k 2 weeks out just for the simple reason of what's to be gained from it. There's no real training effect that will be picked up from it that will be helpful for the marathon and a poor performance can screw with people's heads especially when they're unlikely to perform to their best over 10k this close to a marathon. Most will usually avoid it when the real goal is the marathon but I'm not sure there's anything inherently wrong with it but not much to be gained from it either. Just my take from reading about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

I'm edging towards the 10 miler in St Annes on Easter Monday. Having done the last LSR this weekend the theory is the faster 'shorter' race will be a good blow-out pre marathon. I'm pencilling in the BHAA 4 mile race a week before Rotterdam too. Probably more to be achieved from doing a short fast race than another longer run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Well, I'm no expert but I'll be doing the 10k. The p+d plans I follow always have a race 2 weeks out. I accept that the training gains are marginal and a poor performance would be bad for the head. However the converse is also true, a good run is a great mental boost. I've run pbs at this stage a few times and whilst the marathon is the main goal the 10k is a secondary target.

Quite happy to stop the long runs at this stage though. If I had a base like yourself, UP, a 15 miler with MP miles the week before might be grand but not many of us do.

snailsong wrote: »
    Well, I'm no expert but I'll be doing the 10k. The p+d plans I follow always have a race 2 weeks out. I accept that the training gains are marginal and a poor performance would be bad for the head. However the converse is also true, a good run is a great mental boost. I've run pbs at this stage a few times and whilst the marathon is the main goal the 10k is a secondary target.

Quite happy to stop the long runs at this stage though. If I had a base like yourself, UP, a 15 miler with MP miles the week before might be grand but not many of us do.

Ya everyone is different and respond differently to training. I see most coach's stop long runs 3/4 weeks out. Regarding the race it's a good point about the mental boost from a good race but even if you don't run well you have the excuse of training miles in the legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Bawnmore_Ent.

34k done today at marathon pace, well 2 seconds slower per km, sure the excitement of the day will give me the missing time. I gave it sock for last few k, legs didn't thank me after, had to hobble home. Protein shake, hot/cold shower and an hour in bed, and I was right for a 1 k swim and 2 pints , forgot I said i would stay off the beer until post RM 🙊

tang1 wrote: »
    Take it that elusive sub 2.30 is the target up?

Ya that's the aim alright. Like everyone else just hoping for decent weather on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Got the official app and checked the website but haven't seen a elevation profile anywhere. Anyone like to direct me to one. Mainly interested in the last 10k!

• Advertisement

Got the official app and checked the website but haven't seen a elevation profile anywhere. Anyone like to direct me to one. Mainly interested in the last 10k!

There's an elevation profile of the route in the race profile thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

There's an elevation profile of the route in the race profile thread.

it's flat, there is no elevation - RIGHT?

Firedance wrote: »
    it's flat, there is no elevation - RIGHT?

It's flat like Longwood!!

I'm out :( doctors orders - best of luck everyone! will definitely be stalking so run well ok!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

I have a friend trying to get an entry for the 10k in Rotterdam. Circumstances have caused her to withdraw from marathon plans and do 10k instead. What would be the chances of getting a late entry for the 10k, does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    I have a friend trying to get an entry for the 10k in Rotterdam. Circumstances have caused her to withdraw from marathon plans and do 10k instead. What would be the chances of getting a late entry for the 10k, does anyone know?

Check the website but there maybe an option at the expo to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Check the website but there maybe an option at the expo to do this.

Tks will pass on the info :)

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Tks will pass on the info :)

Don't see anything jumping out on the website, but I have a vague recollection of it. Best to email them, they are pretty responsive also.

Don't see anything jumping out on the website, but I have a vague recollection of it. Best to email them, they are pretty responsive also.

Just e-mailed them there about it as I was getting ideas to run the 1/4. They answered back in like 2 seconds and said "unfortunately, this is not possible". The 1/4 was sold out months ago so it's probably too late now.

El Caballo wrote: »
    Just e-mailed them there about it as I was getting ideas to run the 1/4. They answered back in like 2 seconds and said "unfortunately, this is not possible". The 1/4 was sold out months ago so it's probably too late now.

Presume they know you have a marathon entry?

• Advertisement

Presume they know you have a marathon entry?

Yep, told them I couldn't do it and asked if I could change it over to the 1/4. No go.

Question regarding train tickets, is it best to purchase prior to arriving or just buy on arrival like here for DART/train?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Last time I was in Amsterdam we accidentally bought a discounted ticket and got a hefty fine for not being able to translate Dutch. Find an agent there if machine not in English.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Question regarding train tickets, is it best to purchase prior to arriving or just buy on arrival like here for DART/train?

Its quite painless to do in the airport/train terminal Tang, there are loads of machines and all can be switched to English.

Not sure if there is much of a price difference doing it online beforehand but it's relatively cheap to get the Rotterdam from the airport.

Just be aware of the class differences with the carriages, we accidently got on a 1st class carriage and a rather stern inspector moved us..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Yep, told them I couldn't do it and asked if I could change it over to the 1/4. No go.

Drat. Had pinned hopes on this when I was reading your posts the other day. Suppose it makes sense, you'd have lots of marathon runners trying to drop down otherwise I'd say.

Drat. Had pinned hopes on this when I was reading your posts the other day. Suppose it makes sense, you'd have lots of marathon runners trying to drop down otherwise I'd say.

I know:( I was getting excited as well. You're still doing the marathon, yeah? How have the last few weeks gone?

You come past the start / finish area at 17 miles before heading out to the park. Long run option?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I know:( I was getting excited as well. You're still doing the marathon, yeah? How have the last few weeks gone?

The last 6 weeks have been dreadful. One 'long' run (17.5 miles) but I died in that mentally and physically. 13.5 on Friday was hard work, so yeah. Dreadful.
    Have zero interest in running a marathon, literally none. The main reasons for entering was to get a weekend away and getting me out running in some sort of decent fashion again though, so I'm 100% fulfilling that end of the bargain :D Anything else on a knife edge, and has been for weeks!

You come past the start / finish area at 17 miles before heading out to the park. Long run option?

Cheers BB, it's a tempting option. I'll play it by ear.

• Advertisement

has anyone looked at the tracking app for this, it only seems to allow tracing one person at a time(?) On the DCM one it let me put in 8 or 9 bib numbers and it listed them in a row.

And Mbarr I think your bib number is wrong?

Advertisement