Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rotterdam Marathon 10th April '16

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Really like the sounds of this marathon (flat and good crowds).

Funnily enough from London flights are cheap into Rotterdam and a day out in Amsterdam and a few beers seems too good to turn down.

Having a marathon to aim for will give me proper direction with training, I'm just trying to convince myself here. Going for an hours run and Wednesday and if I feel good I'll sign up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Over in Rotterdam and Amsterdam at the mo. Prefer Rotterdam as a city and think it'll be a better marathon to run than Berlin.

Rotterdam is nice and flat and there'll be more to look at than Berlin.

Only problem I reckon will be the wind

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

CONFIRMED:

Firedance
    Notwork Error
    thomas anderson.
    tang1
    The Davestator
    Corny
    younganne

POSSIBLES:

martyboy48
    menoscemo
    shels4ever
    Pacing Mule
    dekbhoy
    Mr Jinx
    paulers06
    sydneybound

I entered this a couple of weeks ago but haven't been on here in ages. Just building back up after injury again so hoping to get to the start line in one piece. - it will be 3 year since doing a Marathon (London 2013)

looking at hotels on bookings.com - haven't a clue!!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Younganne wrote: »
    CONFIRMED:

Firedance
    Notwork Error
    thomas anderson.
    tang1
    The Davestator
    Corny
    younganne

POSSIBLES:

martyboy48
    menoscemo
    shels4ever
    Pacing Mule
    dekbhoy
    Mr Jinx
    paulers06
    sydneybound

I entered this a couple of weeks ago but haven't been on here in ages. Just building back up after injury again so hoping to get to the start line in one piece. - it will be 3 year since doing a Marathon (London 2013)

looking at hotels on bookings.com - haven't a clue!!:confused:

If staying in Rotterdam, anything near the Coolsingel will have you close to everything i.e marathon start, expo, metro stations if flying into Schipol and travelling to Rotterdam via train then. Booked the citizenM hotel myself which is central to everything listed above and keeps herself happy to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Thanks Tang1, just to have the Coolsingel area details is great. When i go into the route on the website it doesn't show anything so I wasn't sure what area to be looking. We will probably fly into Schipol and travel up by train and likewise have to have something for himself to keep him occupier!!

Ps i was in Tang recently at a funeral and assumed thats where you got your name from. is that your neck of the woods?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Thanks Tang1, just to have the Coolsingel area details is great. When i go into the route on the website it doesn't show anything so I wasn't sure what area to be looking. We will probably fly into Schipol and travel up by train and likewise have to have something for himself to keep him occupier!!

Ps i was in Tang recently at a funeral and assumed thats where you got your name from. is that your neck of the woods?

The Athletes are staying at The Hilton if that' helps :D Hotel Emma is also popular with marathoners and there are a few nice apartments on Air B n B. I think others were saying that the transport system is so good you could stay anywhere and be at the start line very quickly.

Yeah born & bred Tang alright but gone out of there good 15/16 years now. Most people I meet think I make the name up when I tell them where i'm from, it's only runners who seem to know it exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I signed up on the 3rd Nov, but the payment still hasnt come out of my account. Anyone else having this problem? Just want the payment out, so I know I'm in.

Did I enter my IBAN correctly????:eek::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Did I enter my IBAN correctly????

I hope you didn't enter it at all. It's not necessary if using a card for payment. Did you enter a Dr or Cr card number or pay via PayPal?

aquinn wrote: »
    I hope you didn't enter it at all. It's not necessary if using a card for payment. Did you enter a Dr or Cr card number or pay via PayPal?

Didnt see a card option? Got the confirmation email and it said money would be taken by 10 days

• Advertisement

Didnt see a card option? Got the confirmation email and it said money would be taken by 10 days

There is no credit card option for entry from what I saw either.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

CONFIRMED:

Firedance
    Notwork Error
    thomas anderson.
    tang1
    The Davestator
    Corny
    younganne
    paulers06

POSSIBLES:

martyboy48
    menoscemo
    shels4ever
    Pacing Mule
    dekbhoy
    Mr Jinx
    sydneybound

I'm in!!! Running the Clonakilty half in a couple of weeks but going to take it handy until I resume marathon training after Xmas.

Would appreciate it if anyone could share any good hotel deals. Gonna stay the 9th & 10th followed by a couple of days in Amsterdam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭aero2k

aero2k wrote: »
    Mrs. aero read somewhere that 59 days out is the optimum time for flight booking - we did that and got them for about €80. I think Ryanair might be flying to Schipol soon, or you could do Eindhoven and get a train (note: trains are not cheap).

I just realised that I should point out that we travelled out on the Thursday before and back on the Tuesday after race day which probably made it easier to get cheap flights. It's very well served though so you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭charkee

I have ran rotterdam three times,may return next year ,not decided yet.

re accommodation recommend any hotel near the main train station ,which is a short walk to start and finish.

city centre near finish is a good buzz for a few hours after race,but it then
    empties out.rotterdam on a sunday night is quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

charkee wrote: »
    city centre near finish is a good buzz for a few hours after race,but it then
    empties out.rotterdam on a sunday night is quiet.

Good to know, thanks. Might just stay the night before and head to Amsterdam that afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Are most people looking at flying in on the Saturday and home on Monday ? Is there likely to be a boards beers on the Sunday ? (Would most likely be traveling alone to this so if there's nothing social happening would consider hopping the plane straight back on Sunday night)

Are most people looking at flying in on the Saturday and home on Monday ? Is there likely to be a boards beers on the Sunday ? (Would most likely be traveling alone to this so if there's nothing social happening would consider hopping the plane straight back on Sunday night)

Going Saturday to Monday myself, with the potential numbers going surely we could organise a few post PB beers somewhere after.

there had better be!!!

Firedance wrote: »
    there had better be!!!

So you'll chance more than 2 glasses of vino that day?!!

tang1 wrote: »
    So you'll chance more than 2 glasses of vino that day?!!

vino, in Amsterdam? I think not - beers PB beers all the way :D

• Advertisement

vino, in Amsterdam? I think not - beers PB beers all the way :D

Ah so 1 bottle of beer then!!

tang1 wrote: »
    Ah so 1 bottle of beer then!!

is that all you'll be allowed? :pac:

is that all you'll be allowed? :pac:

All i'll be able for hopefully!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

If I'm going to this there better be beers involved :D:D

martyboy48 wrote: »
    If I'm going to this there better be beers involved :D:D

get off the fence and register already!!

So tempted to register tonight, need a challenge for 2016!!

So tempted to register tonight, need a challenge for 2016!!

What's stopping you, longer you leave it the more you pay.

I signed up on the 3rd Nov, but the payment still hasnt come out of my account. Anyone else having this problem? Just want the payment out, so I know I'm in.

Did I enter my IBAN correctly????:eek::confused:

Trying to enter and its a bit tricky, wish they just took debit or credit cards. Maybe I'm being a bit dull after a long day at work, it seems to be a bit of a pain to enter with this IBAN business! I've a UK card not sure if that makes any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,471 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Trying to enter and its a bit tricky, wish they just took debit or credit cards. Maybe I'm being a bit dull after a long day at work, it seems to be a bit of a pain to enter with this IBAN business! I've a UK card not sure if that makes any difference.
    Your IBAN is for your bank account, it has nothing to do with your card. You should be able to find it on your bank statement or on your online banking

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement

Payment for my entry came out yesterday. Strange system but I'm in now officially

Advertisement