Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rotterdam Marathon 10th April '16

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Firedance wrote: »
    leave it blank, it doesn't seem to recognise Irish post codes in any form.

How do you know this??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

tang1 wrote: »
    How do you know this??

ummm, I guessed?* :p

*yeah yeah I signed up

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

28064212 wrote: »
    ? They're the Irish national post code system. But websites have to be updated to allow for them, and most haven't been.

As Firedance says, just leave it blank. Despite showing it as a required field, it won't accept anything if you select Ireland

You're joking, right?
    It's ready to die. They won't be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,471 ✭✭✭✭28064212

You're joking, right?
    It's ready to die. They won't be used.
    I doubt it's going to die, although it hasn't shown much promise so far. But regardless, it is the official national postcode system, as established by legislation (Communications Regulation (Postal Services) Act 2011)

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭RuMan

Was that a previous Marathon result or do they accept half marathon times to do you know?

Mine was a half, didnt have a full.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

RuMan wrote: »
    Mine was a half, didnt have a full.

What kind of time do you need in the half for the first corral RuMan?

What kind of time do you need in the half for the first corral RuMan?

Was in C (between 2:45 and 3 hours). I'd 81 for half at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

The corrals, l like most race, are bit of a joke. Loads don't follow them. I think I was 2min down after 2k because of people in complete wrong place.

Make sure to get there early! Other than that a great race.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I'm in too. Nice flat marathon, followed by a couple of days in Amsterdam - Perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

I'm in. Really enjoyed my last time running it in 2014.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

RuMan wrote: »
    Was in C (between 2:45 and 3 hours). I'd 81 for half at the time.

When I did this a few years ago the biggest 'pen' problem was the fact that we were behind the business run group. That is one big goddamn group and a lot of em are pure slow. Ok, purer slower.

On the day, myself and Kentucky Pete ducked under the tape and managed to edge through most of that bunch. Look out for this on the day. We were gunning for 3.10 that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Itziger wrote: »
    When I did this a few years ago the biggest 'pen' problem was the fact that we were behind the business run group. That is one big goddamn group and a lot of em are pure slow. Ok, purer slower.

On the day, myself and Kentucky Pete ducked under the tape and managed to edge through most of that bunch. Look out for this on the day. We were gunning for 3.10 that year.

Are you going there in 2016 for your sub 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Are you going there in 2016 for your sub 3?
    It has been mentioned in conversation but it's the last day of the Easter hols and I have a feeling family plans might scupper it. My work load lightens up in April and May and they are the best training months for me. There's a small marathon in Duisburg that I'm considering...... Just hope it's not too warm on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Ok, I'm probably going to bombard ye with plenty of questions over the coming weeks/months regarding Rotterdam :D:D

I've strongly pencilled myself into entering this, 99.99% sure I am barring any injury or family emergency.

But seeing as this is my first foreign marathon(not inc. Dublin :P), I'm not sure of the time scale regarding of entering/booking hotel/ flights ect...

So, is it time enough booking everything in the new year or should I start looking at hotels entry now???

Has anyone any plans made?? Or am I panicking a bit already :D:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

You're panicking too early. :)

Maybe look at hotels, never too early to find a good deal, but, Air BnB will help there closer to the time. Flights to Amsterdam will always be decent, but again, no harm to keep your eye on them.

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Ok, I'm probably going to bombard ye with plenty of questions over the coming weeks/months regarding Rotterdam :D:D

I've strongly pencilled myself into entering this, 99.99% sure I am barring any injury or family emergency.

But seeing as this is my first foreign marathon(not inc. Dublin :P), I'm not sure of the time scale regarding of entering/booking hotel/ flights ect...

So, is it time enough booking everything in the new year or should I start looking at hotels entry now???

Your fooked Marty, sure marathon is sold out and there isn't a bed to be found in Rotterdam that weekend!! Loads of time to get your stuff sorted, maybe download the Skyscanner App for flights and stick an alert on it for flights to Amsterdam it will let you know when prices go up or down on the dates your looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Seriously tempted to sign up.

I've done three marathons before but haven't done any meaningful running since November 2014 which was my last marathon, I actually haven't run outdoors since then which is a bit nuts.

If I don't have anything lined up I don't bother to run seriously apart from to keep weight down but that only consists of 30-45 mins on a treadmill. Will be interesting to see how long it takes me to get back up to full speed.

A few questions

1) is this route flat as a pancake?
    2) how big in size is it i.e over 20,000?
    3) are there many spectators on route?

CONFIRMED:

Firedance
    Notwork Error
    thomas anderson.
    tang1
    The Davestator

POSSIBLES:

martyboy48
    menoscemo
    shels4ever
    Pacing Mule
    dekbhoy
    Mr Jinx
    paulers06
    sydneybound

[quote="tang1;97738548"!! Loads of time to get your stuff sorted, maybe download the Skyscanner App for flights and stick an alert on it for flights to Amsterdam it will let you know when prices go up or down on the dates your looking for.[/quote]

Did this last year and got flight to Amsterdam in January handy enough. Hotels were tougher we stayed a bit out beside metro. If u want near start line probably need to book early.

There is a few uphills under the bridges. Anyone who did Berlin said it's a lot flatter. Was quite windy last year towards the end and has been hot other years. It's similar in size to Dublin- 12- 15k or so. Lot smaller then London/Paris anyway. Spectator wise there were decent crowds other then the bit in the park around 30/35k.

CONFIRMED:

Firedance
    Notwork Error
    thomas anderson.
    tang1
    The Davestator
    Corny

POSSIBLES:

martyboy48
    menoscemo
    shels4ever
    Pacing Mule
    dekbhoy
    Mr Jinx
    paulers06
    sydneybound

:)

• Advertisement

corny wrote: »
    :)

Sorry.

Berlin is flatter? Well sod that!

martyboy48 wrote: »

You can book a lot of hotels without paying a deposit & where you can get a refund if you cancel up to 48 hours before hand, I used booking.com. So you could easily book that now.

I was reading on old threads that the fastest pacers are 3:15, is that correct?

Would have thought they would have at least 3 hours pacers

Also reading on previous years threads that the pacers are not the best, so might be best not to rely on them.

Also reading on previous years threads that the pacers are not the best, so might be best not to rely on them.

That's such a shame. In my three previous marathons the pacers where superb, a bit disappointing that a well established marathon like this can't get pacers correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

They've had 3hr pacers before, organised by Runner's World NL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭aero2k

Hi all,

Just a few points from my perspective:

It's potentially a fast course, though I'd say London and Edinburgh are slightly quicker due to the downhill starts. Weather could be a big factor.

I note the comments about congestion at the start - it does start on a dual carriageway and there are no sharp turns in the first few k, so the only problem is getting stuck behind slower runners. The only remedy there is to turn up early.

Expo location is good, close to the Central train station.

Support is great, very enthusiastic, apart from 30-35k

Bag drop and pick-up are well located.

For the men, there are urinals on the street close to the entrance to the pans - knowing that in advance would have saved me anxious moments in a café just minutes before the start.

Drinks are in cups with a sponge in the top - there's a knack to it but it is possible to get a good drink. I managed it at about half the stations.

Public transport in Holland is wonderful, you could stay a long way away and still be sure of making the start.

Mrs. aero read somewhere that 59 days out is the optimum time for flight booking - we did that and got them for about €80. I think Ryanair might be flying to Schipol soon, or you could do Eindhoven and get a train (note: trains are not cheap).

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

Looking to book a hotel with possibility to cancel. Any recommendations on hotels? Will probably stay a couple of days in Rotterdam and same in Amsterdam on the way back. How many days are ye planning to stay? Just wondering if there is much point in hanging around or if I should spend more time in Amsterdam.

Thanks!

• Advertisement

paulers06 wrote: »
    Looking to book a hotel with possibility to cancel. Any recommendations on hotels? Will probably stay a couple of days in Rotterdam and same in Amsterdam on the way back. How many days are ye planning to stay? Just wondering if there is much point in hanging around or if I should spend more time in Amsterdam.

Thanks!

Most places on booking.com have free cancellation and as already said you could stay miles away from the start line and still be OK with transport links. I stayed in Nootdorp which is nearly in the Hague but got to the start line in 30 mins thanks to the metro.

Advertisement