Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Peds Peddler - 400m & The Mile

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Congratulations on the new arrival man!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

Congratulations! Great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Those 31sec 200s are impressive!

(also congrats on the new arrival!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Great news. Congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Sacksian wrote: »
    Those 31sec 200s are impressive!

(also congrats on the new arrival!)

Thanks Everyone!

Yeah I was pretty happy with them for January. I think i'll aim for 31 second laps on Saturday and see where it leaves me!

• Advertisement

Mon - Rest
    Tues - 6 x 1k @3.40 2.30r

3.42, 3.39, 3.40, 3,42, 3.38, 3.38

38km/h winds on the track, delighted with this, my aerobic side is really starting to come together

wed - 5m easy and light strength session, just easing the strength work back in after christmas

Thurs - 8 x 400 with 90rest @76

74, 77, 76, 75, 75 , 77, 75, 75

I wanted a harder session but coach thought otherwise with race sat. happy with it, could have done more thanks to the long rest. Massage after keep the body in check

Fri - 2 mile easy with strides

Race tomorrow, indoor league round 1 800m. Really excited about this, fitness is good, body feels good, 2pm race, its going to go well! I'd like to start a bit quicker than usual in this race, try and come through in 31 then let the fitness carry me through to a pb.

What recovery were you doing between your 1ks?

Good luck in the race too by the way.

What recovery were you doing between your 1ks?

Good luck in the race too by the way.

2.30r, just added there. This session replaces my tempo, much more fun might I add...

I did something similar as a session this week as I look to up my mileage only it was 5 x 1k and 1k recovery.

I did something similar as a session this week as I look to up my mileage only it was 5 x 1k and 1k recovery.

Sounds like a lot of rest to me but I assume you got the session from somewhere?

• Advertisement

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Sounds like a lot of rest to me but I assume you got the session from somewhere?

Nope :pac:

I'm learning still, hence my initial question about what you did in between. Thanks for that.

It was my first ever go at sets of 1ks but in the back of my head I wanted to cover distance too so it was a bastardised session of sorts that might get some comments when I log it next week.

It was still tough, probably because of the wind, terrain and the pace I was trying to hit. My "recovery" pace was definitely too fast too. I can see the benefit of a track (or at least a consistent terrain) for such a session though as I was a little all over the place. I'm thinking of a similar one next week but now might do more repeats with a shorter but slower recovery.

The rest (or lack of) is very important, if you want extra mileage you could warm up/down a little longer. You can jog the rest as well, usually that means sacrificing some of the pace. We jog the rest in our sessions up until Christmas, now it's full rest with focus on faster reps leading to indoors

Are you doing 10 mile long run? If not I would work up to that and do it every week religiously, forever :)

The rest (or lack of) is very important, if you want extra mileage you could warm up/down a little longer. You can jog the rest as well, usually that means sacrificing some of the pace. We jog the rest in our sessions up until Christmas, now it's full rest with focus on faster reps leading to indoors

Are you doing 10 mile long run? If not I would work up to that and do it every week religiously, forever :)

8.75 miles this week. Maybe the 10 next week. I never thought I'd entertain such long runs when I started out tbh.

What's the target for tomorrow and what would you be happy with? Is it an indoor PB or overall PB you're hoping for?

Tell me about it, 2 years ago I was doing about 3k mileage per week! I didn't really warm to mileage last season but I've come around and its paying off big time. 30-40 miles is fine for me.

I think an indoor PB of 2.06 would be great. I think my outdoor pb is 2.06 as well. Probably be disappointed with slower, I guess a 2.07 sb is acceptable but I know I'm fitter than that

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Belated congrats on the new addition. Nice start to the year. Best of luck tomorrow.

KSU wrote: »
    Belated congrats on the new addition. Nice start to the year. Best of luck tomorrow.

Thanks KSU!

Tell me about it, 2 years ago I was doing about 3k mileage per week! I didn't really warm to mileage last season but I've come around and its paying off big time. 30-40 miles is fine for me.

I think an indoor PB of 2.06 would be great. I think my outdoor pb is 2.06 as well. Probably be disappointed with slower, I guess a 2.07 sb is acceptable but I know I'm fitter than that

Best of luck tomorrow - get out and go with it and hopefully there’ll be enough of a race to pull you along to great things!!

I won’t be there - I’m sitting this one and Tuesday out, so that I can be suitably prepared when we do meet over 800m.

Thanks Saskian

Indoor League 800m guest

Beyond excited for this. When you know you're in good shape you just cant wait to get out there. Only thing on my mind race plan wise was get out faster than usual, sprinting about 20-30m, then be brave on the 3rd lap.

Lap 1

Went out hard and it settled me into the lead group, about 100m in there was a stumble in front of me, I had to hesitate a little but no big deal. No casualties. Crossed the line in 31 sitting behind a guy who was at the back of the group.

Lap 2

Everything was going well so I just thought to myself ,watch out for this guy I'm sitting on slowing down. At about 350 he looked at his watch and I knew that meant he was struggling so I passed him and was now chasing the leaders. Crossed line in 1.03

Lap 3

Cant remember much here, didn't lose ground on a the group, passed a 2 or 3 I think. I knew coming to the line I should kick cause i felt really good 1.34

Lap 4

Kicked and passed a few more, was strong right to the end(in my head anyway) thought I caught the guy in 3rd but it wasnt to be. Finished 2.05.50, absolutely delighted.

TLTR - 2.05.50 PB!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Great racing, brilliant stuff!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Awesome well done :D

• Advertisement

Super. Great running.

Well done - sounds like a really smart race and, based on those splits, there's more to come.

2:05 is about the limit of my hopes for the indoor season, so I'll be watching the progress closely!!

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

Stonkin time, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Great stuff. Congrats. Not surprised at all by that result. It was coming.

Also great to finally see you recording your full time to the nearest hundredth. This is a game of fine margins so you can't ignore those margins.

Sun - 10m easy 8.50 pace hr 40

Thanks everyone. I guess my pb is soft so I suspect there'll be a few more coming but you have to enjoy every one cause you never know when you might get injured etc and will look back on it wishing you had taken a moment to enjoy it.

Due to baby life, I wont get to race as much as I'd hoped over the next couple of months. At least that means a lot of solid training with little distraction. Keeping the easy runs and longs runs super easy. Injury is the only thing stopping the next few seconds so will be making sure I get enough rest.

On we go!

There's nothing 'soft' about 2:05.5 - that's a great time.

Just checking back on your log to put it into context. A year ago, in the same race, you ran 2.13.54, hitting 400m in 64s. 12 months later, you've run two 400s faster than 64s back-to-back!

But I also ran 53 for 400 in my last outdoor season as a sprinter ,so I think theres plenty more there for the taking. Absolutely appreciate where I've come from by the way. Swapping from sprinting to md is tougher than I'd imagined.

Mon - Rest

Tues - 6 x 1k 2.30r

3.36, 3.41, 3.33, 3.38, 3.30, 3.35 Good session.

Wed - 5m easy

Thurs - (5 x 300) x 2 @52 with 100m walk recovery or 60s

Averaged 53, this felt hard, think i was dehydrated which didnt help. Happy enough.

Fri - 4m recovery

Sat - (6 x 200) x 2 @31, full recovery between sets, 200m jog between reps

Ran 33's instead, rolling 31s too fast even on a good day. Soon as this started i wished i wasnt there, body just didnt feel up for it. Hamstring felt slightly tight as well. Got through it anyway without pushing myself very hard.

Sun - 2m easy

Foot felt a little sore and it was getting worse so i just called it a day. I'm familiar with this niggle and usually when i stop its okay the next day, keep going and it could be sore for a week.

I have the option of racing this Sunday in Athlone but i'm thinking i'll give it a skip. Susan is out Sat night so ill be doing all the feeds the night before race, combined with the 4-5 hours driving, meh. Back to work tomorrow, everything has been very comfortable so far with the baby, training on my own has gone pretty well so far. I suspect we'll both be a little more tired now with work on top, will keep an eye on things. Would be a shame to get injured by not giving myself enough rest, if I feel as tired as I did Saturday morning for a session I should really just do an easy run instead. Easier said than done, mad for the sessions!

Mon - Rest
    Tues - 5 x 600 @1.52 w2.30r

1.52/53 for all of them. Great Session. Looking back I was running 1.56's in June last year, best thing about a log is looking back at where you've come from

Wed - Rest. Couldn't find a time to get out.

Thurs - 2 x (5 x 300) @51/52

50, 52, 51, 51, 53 51, 51, 52, 53, X

I decided not to do the last rep, i probably should have forced myself, either way it was a really good session anyway.

Fri - Rest. Again, couldn't find time to get out.

Sat - 2 x (6 x 200)

Ran them all in 34s, had breeze on my back, was fairly meh session tbh. I missed the club hill session and couldnt bring myself to do the hills on my own. Next time i'll do them. Definitely missing the group work ethic.

Sun - 10m long run 8.36 pace 146hr

My feet are still at me a little bit which is surprising since i missed both my easy runs this week.

So that was my first week back at work and it was certainly trickier than before. The sessions were fine as they're already planned in advance, i stop at track on way home and i'm home by 6.30pm. Usually I would do my easy runs and strength work in the morning but now i take over the feeds from 4am so that's out of the question. I had thought i would just nip out the door when i saw a window but its just too manic, between cleaning, eating, baby and entertaining my 6 old the time just flys. I'm thinking of joining a gym, see if i can fit them in on lunch breaks...

Entered AAI games, 400m, its not going to be pretty but it's just what i need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Mon - Rest
    Tues - 5 x 600 @1.52 w2.30r

1.52/53 for all of them. Great Session. Looking back I was running 1.56's in June last year, best thing about a log is looking back at where you've come from

That is a great session alright. Have done something similar myself but usually with longer recovery.

Advertisement