Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Peds Peddler - 400m & The Mile

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Dromisken 5k

Plan was to run for sub 20, of course I didnt check what that pace was so messed it up. I had it in my head it was around 6.40. Felt comfy after 2 miles, ran the last mile in 6min which clawed back some time. Happy out anyway , nice to get a feel for the distance. Will push harder in rathfarnhan or whatever its called.

Body feels sore but good, no injury concerns. Looking forward to the griffith mile now, it could be another pacing disaster but it's a long way till christmas so not too concerned.

Sun - 8m 35mpw
    Mon - rest
    Tues - tempo with pickups, 6.35 - 7.10
    Wed - 5m easy
    Thurs - 5 x 1k @ 3.40km. Was meant to be 6 reps but a 3.30 in the middle broke me
    Fri - 5m easy
    Sat - 5m easy
    Sun - griffit mile, 3m w/u and w/d
    Mpw - 34

2 solid weeks in the bag, body feels good.

GRIFFITH AVENUE MILE

Was unsure about all of this but it's actually a great event. Very well organised. There was a sub 5.30 group and nobody messed about, this group was legit. Unfortunately my racers got soaked by a leaking bottle so I had to resort to wearing my long run shoes. Bad start. Anyway I convinced myself they felt good and was all set to get as close to 5 as I could.

When the gun went it was quite smooth, so no having to go around folk etc. I swear by about 400m I was cursing my shoes already. The wind was in our face also but the downhill kinda makes up for that to he fair. I was using my friend to help pace me thinking she'd be about 5.10, I looked at the watch and we were at 5.15 pace so i decided to push on. About 0.7 in and it was really starting to get tough, all I could think was ****ing shoes and ****ing wind. When we got closer to the finish line I didn't even have a kick I just tried to maintain what I had. Over the line in 5.09, which was net 5.08. Considering how bad it felt I was delighted tbh. I dont know what difference my runners would of made, I'll let my head think I couldve ran about 5.05.

This time next month we have a mile time trial in our training ground. It's a tough course for a mile but will be good practice all the same.

TLTR - 5.08

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Well run dude. Pity about the runners.

Couldn't make it in the end myself. Management had organised a challenge match for us for the weekend so it put paid to my hopes of running.

Well run dude. Pity about the runners.

Couldn't make it in the end myself. Management had organised a challenge match for us for the weekend so it put paid to my hopes of running.

Thats a pity alright it would have been perfect for you. The only tricky part is you're not fully aware of how far you've gone compared to being on the track.

Here are some mile options for us, not many....last year NIA live had a mile(indoor track) Dec 4th, which would be great. They havent announced their schedule yet.

Alsaa 15th Oct 8pm 1 mile (Bernie Murphy mile)
    Alsaa 3rd Dec 8pm 1 mile
    Alsaa 11th Feb 7.30pm 1 mile

Mon - Rest
    Tues - 4m tempo with pick ups. This went badly, started too fast which kind of ruined it
    Wed - 5m easy
    Thurs - 400s with 200 jog rest. This went awful, done about 5 at 86 and left it at that
    Fri - 4m easy
    Sat - too hungover after bellator
    Sun- Rath 5k
    MPW - 28.5

Bad week for training and miles a bit low.

Rathfarnham 5k

I was a bit anxious about this because i had an awful week of training topped off with an 8 hour beer session on Friday night. Everything pointed to this being a bad idea. Plan was to keep the pace around 6.25 to get sub 20

Mile 1 - this race starts very fast and we had the wind on our back, played it pretty safe and came in at 6.22

mile 2 - into the drag and of course into the wind/breeze, started to hurt here, 6.30 pace felt hard but i figured if i could hold that i could make up for it in the last mile

Mile 3 - feeling the burn coming around the corner but then you're greeted by a down hill with wind on your back and damn it feels good. Picked up the pace and enjoyed the rest of the race. 6.14 for last mile

Really enjoyable race and super fast course. Only annoyance is i spent most of it looking at my watch. Hopefully less of that as I get the hang of the distance. It might be a ****e time in the grand scheme but considering I didnt run sub 20 last year at all its a good start to my winter training. Now to knuckle down and do some training.

TLTR - 19.44

• Advertisement

Mon - 4m easy
    Tues - 8m easy/lsr
    wed - 4m easy/ strength work
    thurs - 400s @86, better than last week, still missed a couple of reps
    fri - rest/strength work
    Sat - hills + wu/wd = 6m
    Sun - 4.4m easy

MPW - 32

Sunday was meant to be a long run but felt my Achilles twinge around 3m, tried to run it off and decided to call it a day. I think it's fine so will just check during the warm up tomorrow. Watched the louth novice xc after where my homie overpronator came 2nd whoop.

Achilles aside, happy out

Mon - rest
    Tues - 5m tempo with pick ups 34.31
    Wed - 5.4 easy + strength
    Thurs - Mile trial, pulled out after 600m, legs were pooped
    Fri - 3.58 easy Sore achilles so stopped early + strength
    Sat - hills
    Sun - 6.5 easy

MPW 31.8

Not a great week. Wasted a night on the mile trial, an easy run and long run cut short cause of niggles. I've noticed running slow seems to be when the niggles arise, it's never during a fast session, it might be cause my form is sloppy when I run slower. Anyway just something i'll keep an eye on for now. At least my mpw are consistent if not spectacular , id like to think if I keep that up until Christmas Id be in good nick to push for an indoor pb. I may forget about 40mpw for now.

Mon - rest
    Tues - 12 x 200 rolling
    Wed - 4m easy
    Thurs - 3 x (4 x 400) @ 84, 100m jog between reps and 3min between sets
    Fri - 5m easy
    Sat - rest/hangover
    Sun - 10m

Mpw - 31.7

Missed hills cause of wedding hangover but otherwise a solid week with no niggles

Mon - rest
    Tues - tempo, 3 x 10min, disaster session, blew up in first set, then the second, then went home
    Wed - 5m easy
    Thurs - 3 x (4 x 400) @ 84, 100m jog between reps and 3min between sets. Great session.
    Fri - 5m easy
    Sat - Oldbridge parkrun. I didn't go all out here, id say harder than tempo but not in any pain as such. 20.18 but the course is a bit short. It reminded me that I should run 1 or 2 more 5k races before jingle bells to get used to the hurt
    Sun - 10m

MPW - 36.5

Was really pissed on Tuesday that I blew up in training again. I get put with people I just can't keep with, from now on if there's any doubt ill run on my own cause its not worth it. Looking back through the log i'm wasting a session every second week doing this. Going to track this to keep the pressure on myself.

On a positive note my HR is improving on easy runs, I ran 10m at 9min pace, so slow, but my hr stayed at 140 which is unheard of for me.

SESSIONS SINCE LAST BLOW UP: 2 :cool:

Mon - rest
    Tues - 7m easy
    Wed - 6m easy
    Thurs - 6m easy
    Fri - 4m easy
    Sat - 800s x 5 2.52, 2.52, 2.58, 3.00, 3.01
    Sun - 10m @8.30 hr149

Mpw - 38.6

The xc group were tapering for seniors so I took the opportunity to have a down week. Lots of easy miles, first 800s of the season and an improved long run. Long way to go for the 800s to get back down to 2.43s but no panic

Shout out to our mens xc team who won Louth seniors. Will join them in a year or two hopefully.

No blow ups: 3

• Advertisement

Mon - Rest
    Tues - Tempo/Pyramid 5.07m
    Wed - 4.36m easy
    Thurs - 3 x(4 x 400), 100m jog between reps, 3min between sets. 86-88, there was a strong wind so we just went on feel
    Fri - 5m easy
    Sat - hills 3 x(4 x 160), jog back recovery with 3min jog between sets
    Sun - 10m @ 9min pace

MPW- 38

Strength work every Wed & Fri after my easy runs, I forget to log this but I never miss it.

I'm almost afraid to say it but....everything is going well, body feels great, literally zero niggles. Sessions are going well, no blow ups. My upcoming target races are the mile on the 3rd Dec and jingle bells 5k on the 7th Dec. I reckon I need to run a 5k before jingle bells to remind myself of the hurt, Oldbrige Parkrun might do the trick. I'll get another crack of the mile on the 17th Dec so i'm not worried about a test run for that.

SESSIONS SINCE LAST BLOW UP: 6

Mon - Rest
    Tues - Tempo/Pyramid 5.28m , slight improvement on last week
    Wed - 4 easy, strength work, 2m jog
    Thurs - 10 x 400 84s. 84 is poor really, I wont have any hope getting close to 5min in the mile if i dont get this down by a good bit
    Fri - 4m easy, strength work, 1m jog
    Sat - couldnt make club session so joined overpronator for 10 x 60s hills, good session, more like a fartlek than hill sprints
    Sun - 10m @ 8.36 hr 149

MPW - 40

Worked through the last 2 weekends doing up my house and now I've a cold to pay for it. Happy with this week, the sanding at home has me bolloxed so just to get through it all is a bonus. I need to up my game with the 400s, I think I could push a little harder this week, maybe 82s. It's certainly putting me off the idea of racing a mile soon. I'll see how the next 2 weeks go. Nice mileage although slightly buffed by jogging here and there.

No blow ups: 9

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Mon - Rest
    Tues - Tempo/Pyramid 5.28m , slight improvement on last week
    Wed - 4 easy, strength work, 2m jog
    Thurs - 10 x 400 84s. 84 is poor really, I wont have any hope getting close to 5min in the mile if i dont get this down by a good bit
    Fri - 4m easy, strength work, 1m jog
    Sat - couldnt make club session so joined overpronator for 10 x 60s hills, good session, more like a fartlek than hill sprints
    Sun - 10m @ 8.36 hr 149

MPW - 40

Worked through the last 2 weekends doing up my house and now I've a cold to pay for it. Happy with this week, the sanding at home has me bolloxed so just to get through it all is a bonus. I need to up my game with the 400s, I think I could push a little harder this week, maybe 82s. It's certainly putting me off the idea of racing a mile soon. I'll see how the next 2 weeks go. Nice mileage although slightly buffed by jogging here and there.

No blow ups: 9

I wouldn't worry too much about the 400s. Based on your background (and 400m flat speed!), you could treat 400s as your tempo work and do them at 5k pace, which is probably closer to 90s for you? And try and get them up to 12-14.

Don't be afraid of breaking stuff into sets for any session, especially if your ultimate target is 8/1500 (but also even if you're targeting longer distances, it suits some runners to do things that way - depending on if you're more fast-twitch than slow-twitch).

If you're doing mile-paced stuff, do 200s or even 100s. 20 x 200m off 100m is a nice rhythm session and you can ease into it, take the 100m as slow as you need. A 37s 200m should feel comfortable enough with your 400m speed.

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with 3 or 4 x 10 x 100 at mile pace, even if no one seems to ever do it. Just turn-around (maybe a few metres past the 100m and then back) after each 100 and go again and then take a lap jog between sets.

Thanks saskian will keep them in mind, good to hear about the 400s

Mon - Rest
    Tues - Tempo/Pyramid 5.39m good improvement
    Wed - 4m easy and strength work
    Thurs - 10 x 400 60r. 82, 79, 81, 80, 80, 80, 80, 80, 80, 79, 78. Woo! Figured 82's but felt comfy doing 80s so just rolled with it.
    Fri - 4m easy and strength work
    Sat - 9m easy. Was meant to do Parkrun but I got a call from work at 12.30am, after the issue was sorted I couldnt sleep, ended up going for a run at 6am with zero sleep, got 4 hours sleep then after it thankfully.
    Sun - Hills - in an effort to save my weekend I done what my training group had done on the Saturday.

Mpw - 36.5

Delighted with that week, on Tuesday I felt stronger than usual on the tempo and it really showed then on Thurs during the 400s. My vo2 max went up a notch on the garmin(53 to 54, still awful) as well so more proof to back up how i felt. Pity about the Parkrun, it just means no practice run for Jingle Bells. I could do it next weekend but with the mile on Tuesday I think i'll leave it.

Mon - Rest
    Tues - Tempo/Pyramid -5.45 solid, felt harder than last week but made it through
    Wed - 5m easy + Strength work
    Thurs 12 x 400 at training ground/gravel track. 81, 82 , 82, 80, 80, ?, ? , ? , ? , 78 , 77, 76 Track is up and down so erratic times but felt strong throughout and we pushed it a little at the end, could have done 80's all day which is a good sign
    Fri - 5m easy + Strength
    Sat - 10m @ 8.06 hr 154

Mpw 34

I was torn about skipping hills on Sat with it being race week ahead so I decided to allow myself push a bit for the last few miles of long run. It's a lot easier to do a long run when you haven't done hills the day before.

Weight

So after hitting a high of just over 13 stone a while back i decided to try eating less, the weight fell off for a few weeks, about 12 pounds. One thing I noticed though is that my training didnt improve until my weight plateaued for a couple of weeks at 172. I guess it makes sense that you will have less energy losing that amount of weight. I'm happy with 172, im not exactly eating clean so there's more there if i want it but with Christmas and baby incoming I think keeping it around 172 is good.

Race Week

Rest now for 2 days then the NIA Mile Tues, Jingle Bells Sat. PB for mile is 5.05 so at the very least I would want a pb, I will be going for the 5 though of course! The plan is to check the time at 200 and maybe 400, after that just dig in, hopefully there's people to race which usually pulls me on.

For the 5k, my pb is 19.02(i think), that's likely out of reach but anything in the 19-19.30 range would be a solid run.

Race Week

Rest now for 2 days then the NIA Mile Tues, Jingle Bells Sat. PB for mile is 5.05 so at the very least I would want a pb, I will be going for the 5 though of course! The plan is to check the time at 200 and maybe 400, after that just dig in, hopefully there's people to race which usually pulls me on.

Should be a few there under 5 mins. Is there a group from DDAC travelling?

Sacksian wrote: »
    Should be a few there under 5 mins. Is there a group from DDAC travelling?

Not this week, just 3 of us, there will on 17th though I believe. 2 of us going for the sub 5 and 1 guy running his first 800 bless him!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭overpronator

Not this week, just 3 of us, there will on 17th

:eek::eek:

:eek::eek:

Is this you announcing your middle-distance debut on Tuesday?!

• Advertisement

He's afraid to race a mile :rolleyes: jingle bells for 2 of us Sat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭overpronator

JB first, then into the unknown in 200m laps!

Hopefully I get to meet you tomorrow night if I make it. I like the thought of a few other sub 5 attempts to work with. My last couple of weeks have been a bit more haphazard than I' would have liked but I hope the previous 5 will stand to me.

My left foot arch is very sore the last week though and now one of the kids is sick again. It's late enough in the day though so I'm hopeful but as with most things I seem to do these days it'll be a last minute call.

Yeah hopefully see you there, we'll smash it, I think

NIA Live - 1 Mile

Very excited to run my first track race of the season and first ever indoor mile. I was pretty nervous today which is rare enough these days. Just the buzz of going for sub 5 had me rattling.

I spoke to a few people before the race and the range of expectation was about 4.50 to 6min. Grand so.

Lap 1 - Quickly settled in behind a couple of guys that felt about the right pace, all good, crossed the line in 37, perfect

Lap 2 - This is too easy, 1,14, perfect

Lap 3 - I think I was around 1.51 which would be spot on but from here it gets blurry.

Lap 4, 5, 6 The only thing of significance that happened here was that I had to overtake the guy i was sitting behind as he had slowed up a good bit, at this point I could tell I was after sleeping for a couple of laps and had lost a lot of time. My mouth was also horribly dry, damn indoors

Lap 7 - I picked it up here as I knew I was way off sub 5, just not sure how much damage had been done

Lap 8 - with 4.30 on the clock I just kicked hard as i could for 200, the unfortunate thing is I felt like I had another 50-100m in me as I cross the line. Don't get me wrong, I was ****ed, but there was no sign of slowing up

Result, not confirmed yet but my friend had be at 5.02, wouldn't be surprised if its a second or too slower. Either way, I may not have got the sub 5 but its likely still a pb and i'm delighted with that. The same night last year I ran 2.22 for 800 so it's a very positive end to my xc training and start to my indoor season. The sub 5 will come eventually.

Jingle Bells now on Saturday :cool:

Shout out to Saskian and Dubh fellow miler boardsies who also had solid runs, looking forward to the next one lads

TLTR - 5.02/5.03 TBC

Well done last night and great to finally put a face to a name.

I was wondering how you got on with your planned splits! It went blurry for me around the same point (laps 4,5,6), think I only saw the clock once during the race, at 1200m.

Should stand to you for Saturday.

It's motivated me to think about getting back down to pb territory so I'll hopefully do a couple of January and February miles (don't think I'll make the one in two weeks).

Lap 7 - I picked it up here as I knew I was way off sub 5, just not sure how much damage had been done

Lap 8 - with 4.30 on the clock I just kicked hard as i could for 200, the unfortunate thing is I felt like I had another 50-100m in me as I cross the line. Don't get me wrong, I was ****ed, but there was no sign of slowing up

Nice to meet you last night. I was fairly certain I was watching the right guy in your race. You might know better but from where I was watching you hit the mid point (lap 4) around 2:33/34, so your second half was quicker.

You're up in pace was very noticeable, showing some great speed. I'd agree you probably could have picked it up a little sooner considering how strong you finished.

@Sacksian: I didn't know you were attending, I would have liked to have said hi. Maybe another day...

Nice to meet you last night. I was fairly certain I was watching the right guy in your race. You might know better but from where I was watching you hit the mid point (lap 4) around 2:33/34, so your second half was quicker.

You're up in pace was very noticeable, showing some great speed. I'd agree you probably could have picked it up a little sooner considering how strong you finished.

@Sacksian: I didn't know you were attending, I would have liked to have said hi. Maybe another day...

How did you get on? I was in the first heat with IT (I was the rabbit!).

How did you get on? I was in the first heat with IT (I was the rabbit!).

A very comfortable looking rabbit I might add :pac:

I was in the second heat. 5:02 :(

Just about to update my log.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Best of luck Saturday man, run well!!

Advertisement