Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Peds Peddler - 400m & The Mile

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

dna_leri wrote: »
    Great time. Sub 2 is in reach

Absolutely dna_leri, summer goal

National Masters 800 & 400

This deserves a long log but I'm absolutely shattered mentally and physically so ill do my best. On Saturday I felt awful, legs were heavy, tried a few strides and it was a struggle. I hoped it was nerves, was slightly worried i overcooked the shake out the previous day.On Sunday I woke up and i knew straight away i felt great. The missus had given me 2 full nights sleep so i hadn't felt like this since the baby was born! I decided at this point i was going to win 2 gold medals today.

Everything leading up to the race was standard enough so i'll just skip to that.

800m

As anyone in masters running knows Dennis is the man to beat over 800m. But I felt I was likely in better race shape coming into this off the back of seniors. So I had 2 plans, 1. sit on Dennis and if the race is slow kick past him with 200 to go 2. if the race is fast, wait until the last straight to kick. The race was slow, it all felt very easy,in fact so easy coming up to 600m i wasn't sure if it was 400 or 600. So when i heard the bell i opted for option 2, knowing i had a lot in the tank i decided to kick early and this is where it all went wrong. I was obviously a bit overexcited or whatever cause i kicked way too hard, like a kick you would need to save for 100m to go,even though i had created a decent gap my legs blew and i barely crossed the line with Dennis passing me with a metre to go. It was a tough one to take, i instantly knew i had thrown it away. If i had done the same kick at any point in the last 150m i wouldve won easily imo. Anyway, it still stings so i'll leave it at that. Lesson learned and hopefully it will help me going forward. As a 400 runner i think plan 1 should always be my go too unless im running for time.

30 Min break

So I had about 30min until my 400m. I felt awful, waddling around legs full of lactic. Fuming with myself, constantly going over the 800 in my head. I took the shoes off and just walked about for 20min. Stuck the spikes on and tried a couple of strides. My legs felt empty, weird sensation, like thye had used up eveyrthing they had. I headed down to the middle of the track and tried a few more, not much better. At this point i probably would have skipped the race if it wasnt for the 53 i had ran at the aai games. I knew that would win the masters 400 almost every year so even if i didnt do that well, i might still drag myself around for a medal.

400m

Absolutely tried to channel my anger here. I wanted to run this the same as every 400 but the 800m blow up was definitely at me and stopped me pushing hard. I got out smoothly with some guy flying past me on the inside, i didnt concern myself with him as if he can keep that up there'll be no stopping him. At the break i can see there's someone to my left in line with me so i use the hill and pick it up just a little to slot in front of him before the bend. Coming off the other side of the bend i can see the leader is struggling so i pass him with ease, at this point i normally start to pick it up but again with the 800 in mind i played it safe just floating around the bend. I realise coming off the bend i still feel good so decide to kick here and comfortably cross the line in first. Let out a good roar which was really more to do with my 800 frustration than it was my 400 victory! It felt like id made amends somewhat.

After

It was a funny evening, have you ever been really angry and happy at the same time, well that's how i felt! Delighted to win the 400, raging i messed up the 800. Anyway it's been a great indoors, so many good races, pbs, new friends. I feel pretty beat up today, stomach is cramped from the 2 races back to back, achilles is sore, hamstring tight, time to take a break for a couple of weeks before i go again for the summer. I'll be doing daily rehab and will throw in the odd jog, that'll do.

Here's a shakey video of the 400, i'll upload the 800 later even though i'd probably rather it's never seen ever again :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Well done, dude. Nice to come away from an event with a national title AND a burning motivation for revenge!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭overpronator

Outstanding again man. Delighted for you.

Cant beat running with a bitta hate either as E says above!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Looks like I picked a good day to revisit the training logs. Delighted to see that.

Congrats on a super run from the outside lane. And you didn't let that lad hotdogging out of the blocks throw you off your rhythm either.

• Advertisement

thank lads, definitely can tell the difference in experience in 400 and 800, still have a bit to learn about racing the 800

Okay so i'm back at it. Took a few days off after nationals followed by lots of easy running.

week 1 - 21mpw easy
    week 2 - 37mpw easy, lots of rowing also, too much tbh, working late every night, drinking at home, eating tons, a strange week!

Going to work off the coaches plan but I also want to use these strange times to bump up my mileage. I've plenty of time now with working from home so id like to use it doing what i love most....running every.single.day :pac:

My sessions this week were a write off, likely cause I overcooked last week. Anyway good to be back even if there's no end goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Okay so i'm back at it. Took a few days off after nationals followed by lots of easy running.

week 1 - 21mpw easy
    week 2 - 37mpw easy, lots of rowing also, too much tbh, working late every night, drinking at home, eating tons, a strange week!

Going to work off the coaches plan but I also want to use these strange times to bump up my mileage. I've plenty of time now with working from home so id like to use it doing what i love most....running every.single.day :pac:

My sessions this week were a write off, likely cause I overcooked last week. Anyway good to be back even if there's no end goal.

I'm finding I've more time and energy to train now that I'm working from home. I had a 6 day week last week. 4 is the gold standard for me these days.

The hard sand on Portmarnock Beach is the closest thing to a track you will find. Think I'll use spikes the next day.

My motivation is based off believing we will get a July to September season. If they pull that rug from under us then motivation will fall off a cliff.

I don't think i'll even run if there is a season, there would have to be little or no cases of corona in the country i would say, or a vaccine. Neither is close .

Mon - 6 easy
    Tues - botched pick ups and some easy miles
    Wed - 3.5 wasy
    Thurs - botched 400s
    Fri - 5 easy
    Sat - 2.5 @ 6.19 and easy
    Sun - 10 easy

Mpw 48

Terrible sessions. Great mileage. I'm working hard on rehab for my Achilles, it's not too bad but worrying nevertheless. If it doesn't improve this week I'll have to cut my mileage dreams.

Changing the plan slightly so i can do a 5k tempo every sat, it will give me something to look forward to. My motivation to run is strong as ever but not so much for the sessions. I'll give it another week and see how I feel about it then.

• Advertisement

Mon - 4m easy, used chest torch and ran around meadowview pitch at night, was spooky but nice

Tues - Mile repeats 6.11, 6.17, 6.19, 6.39, 6.51 On grass, slow but happy out, ill try and beat the average next week and hopefully over the next few weeks it starts to click

Wed - 6m easy grass

Thurs - Rolling hills, about 10, this was a light hill session, again ill build into making it harder, at the moment i'm just enjoying the runs with higher mileage than normal

Fri - 4m easy grass

Sat am mile repeats - I intended on doing 5k tempo but i underestimated how much harder it would be in meadowview, stopped after the first mile and then just done 2 more mile repeats. Will try again next week.

Sat pm - jog with my son 2.5m

Sun - long run
    about 12 mile, mostly grass

Mpw - 53, 50 really minus the walk/jog with my son. Id like to keep this up, achilles/foot hasnt got any worse, i'm working hard on rehab but i'm aware the easiest fix is probably dropping most of the mileage. If it gets worse i'll just have to accept my faith. Running is such an out at the moment with working from home and being handed the kids soon as it hits 5pm. Mondays i've promised myself to go very easy, make it a proper recovery run.

I don't believe im going to be competing again until the indoors so i'm not concerned about sessions that don't work out or sessions suffering due to the extra mileage. Ideally id like to come out the other side of this with another level of endurance and my body well capable of 50mpw on a regular basis. I want to make sure I'm enjoying all the sessions so if i dread a session its getting binned for something else. For now mile repeats, hills & 5k tempo sounds good to me. All at a lower than normal intensity to allow me adapt to the mileage and doing sessions on grass.

I gave away all my runners to my brother and have replaced them with Nike Pegasus 36 for miles, Adidas Boost for sessions and drumroll........Nike Vaporflys for eh, races? I don't know, I just had money from the lack of takeaways so decided to try them. Can't wait to give them a blast, hopefully they arrive before the boards virtual 5k

Walks, manually added miles....absolutely shameless.

Great consistency though - will make a massive difference to your 5k and mile.

Sacksian wrote: »
    Walks, manually added miles....absolutely shameless.

Great consistency though - will make a massive difference to your 5k and mile.

The manually added miles were legit! It was actually a 11pm stress run so I didnt want to log it on strava lol. The walk was definitely cheating, I added it to scare me from doing more. Honestly I feel like running twice a day but I know it would break me.

IvoryTower wrote: »
    The manually added miles were legit! It was actually a 11pm stress run so I didnt want to log it on strava lol. The walk was definitely cheating, I added it to scare me from doing more. Honestly I feel like running twice a day but I know it would break me.

I'm only kidding - it's very impressive (your mileage is motivating me to get my mileage up!) and it's good to keep track of all activity, especially if you're trying to diagnose anything that aggravates injury. As long as the running's not making your achilles worse and you're keeping up your rehab, I don't think it's a problem.

There's a great book "Anatomy for Runners" by Jay Dicharry that I found really useful for dealing with my achilles problems (which seem to be more or less cured) - get the physical book because the drills, etc are the most useful part of it. He's very much of the belief that achilles problems need activity (within reason).

Sacksian wrote: »
    I'm only kidding - it's very impressive (your mileage is motivating me to get my mileage up!) and it's good to keep track of all activity, especially if you're trying to diagnose anything that aggravates injury. As long as the running's not making your achilles worse and you're keeping up your rehab, I don't think it's a problem.

There's a great book "Anatomy for Runners" by Jay Dicharry that I found really useful for dealing with my achilles problems (which seem to be more or less cured) - get the physical book because the drills, etc are the most useful part of it. He's very much of the belief that achilles problems need activity (within reason).

I haven't read a book in about 15 years but I'll definitely think about it, now is certainly the time to do it :)

Mon - 4m recovery[/B]

Tues - 5 x mile
    w2.30 recovery, 7am on grass, 9m total

6.19, 6.24, 6.24, 6.27, 6.16, 6.17

Wed - 6m easy

Thurs - Hills + Easy

Fri - 4 easy + strides

Sat - 7m run, was going to be a progressive tempo but soon as i started to pick it up i felt bolloxed so just finished out the 7m

Sun - 10m, 3m steady at the end for no reason other than my own entertainment

50MPW

About 80% of running easy on grass. I started to wear a plantar sock to bed and it has almost instantly wiped out any pain i had running. My feet were quite tired and sore the first half of the week but they seem to have come through unscathed. I actually feel more confident now I can handle the mileage. I'm think i'll keep this up for another week then take a down week, do a mile TT and boards virtual 5k in that week then back on the wagon but with new sessions.

I actually think I will keep hills all summer, its the one session at 7am that's very doable, tempos are awful

Great running. I've a suspicion you'll be well under your 5 k target ;)

Great running. I've a suspicion you'll be well under your 5 k target ;)

I dont know...I kind of tried twice already and gave up...it could be a 7am thing, maybe the idea that this is a "race" will help!

Mon - 4m easy

Tues - 5 x 1m 6.15 worked down to 6.30 as I got tired. I stood on glass a couple of weeks ago and during the warm up i had really shape pain in my foot, I sat down and rubbed it for a bit and was able to do the session flat footed

Wed - 6m easy flat footed. My missus tried to take the glass out, we spent the guts of 2 hours digging for it, we think we got a piece of it as we heard a crunch at one point. Decided to let it heal now and see what happens

Thurs - hills , went well, cant tell if foot any better cause the swelling is sore anyway

Friday - 6m easy, tweaked something on the way home, I think it's from altering my form to suit the glass. At this point I'm getting worried that things are going to fall apart so I've decided to not change the miles and start my down week straight away. See if I can get the glass out(if it's still there) and let the niggle heal

Sat - 40min rower. When I cross train I simply try keep hr 130-145 for as long as I can.

Sun - 40min bike, tyre was kinda flat so I gave up and done 30min easy run, happy to saw I couldn't feel the niggle but the glass is still likely there.

So my plan was mile TT mid week, boards 5k Sat, just easy running and cross training in between. Will see how the body is. Running is the only thing keeping me sane at the moment so priority is to not get injured.

I saw your post on Strava about the glass. An absolute pain I can imagine. Been there before with countless splinters etc.

It won't heal properly until you get it out or at least I've never had luck on that front. If it gets infected it can get nasty. Make sure you're sterilising whatever you're poking at it with and apply an antiseptic cream afterwards.

• Advertisement

Agree with both DG & your assessment.

I think you have to take a long view, especially if you reckon you're going to be training like this for the long haul. Being able to get out consistently for the next few months is the priority (for sanity as much as anything). With that perspective, and with the mileage you have under your belt, a down week or a couple of weeks without sessions, whatever it takes to get the foot right, isn't going to make a difference long term.

yeah thats it, ill take it day by day for now. A friend told me to leave it in a basin of hot water until my foot is mush like if you spent too much time in a swimming pool so thats tonights plan!

Mile TT

So i've had a nice few days off, i went for a easy run Tues followed by some strides and my legs were loving the break from miles. I figured at this point i was going to try the mile TT. The glass is still potentially an issue but i cant really do anything about it for now. I'm waiting for the area we cut into to fully heal so i can figure out for sure if there's still something there. My guess is probably something tiny and ive no idea how that will affect me going forward.

I decided to run along the ramparts, it's completely flat and tarmac. Also being along the river the wind is generally going one way so i could likely use it for a wee push. My Vaporflys had arrived the day before so they were getting their first run out. I stuck them on in the car, got out to jog over to ramparts and my god straight away i was like these are insane. I can't believe there was actually a debate as to their benefit in the vaporfly thread, they are ridiculous!

I jogged the route keeping an eye on the distance so i would know where i was. I didnt feel any wind but when i turned to come back i could certainly feel it into my face so i knew what direction i was running, back to the start i go. The plan was simple, aim for 5min pace, keeping an eye on the watch for the first half and then going for it.

Started very smooth, loving the runners, theyre doing all the work i thought! This continued and at half way i knew i was bang on pace. Slowly the pain started to seep in and I really didnt feel like putting up a fight, I just didnt have that race feeling where i had any good reason to suffer. I checked the watch and it was I think about .75, i started thinking maybe i'll just stop at .8, took a look at the time and realised i was on for sub 5 comfortably, so at this point i'm definitely not stopping but i still refused to make much more of an effort,just didnt want the pain, the wind on my back and runners are definitely helping to keep going. I keep an eye on the watch right from .95 to the mile just wanting it to be over. I stop at the mile, delighted with the time 5.53 and tbh i don't even feel too bad, the biggest problem was definitely the lack of racing of late meaning i didnt want to know about the pain.

So there it is, nice wind and Vaporfly assisted sub 5 lol. I will be back to that route as I've no problem with getting a little help in a TT where you don't have anywhere near the fight you would have in a race. Id nearly run one downhill just to see how fast i could go! Without a doubt so long as i stay healthy i will be doing a mile every few weeks, maybe every block of 4 weeks like i just done. 5k on Saturday now all going well, no idea what pace to run, maybe 6.15-6.20 pace. I haven't been able to hold it in training but maybe with this bit of rest, the help of the hill and lets not forget the shoes!

Tltr - 4.53

Well done again. Are you one of those blessed with an extremely low heart rate? Looked like you were bopping along in the 160s and cruising :D

Well done again. Are you one of those blessed with an extremely low heart rate? Looked like you were bopping along in the 160s and cruising :D

no im quite the opposite actually, its improved a lot recently with all the miles, I wouldn't trust that wrist monitor at all, on the 235 its well known to be wrong pretty much always :pac: . I wear the chest one on my easy and long runs and its a battle to keep the hr below 150

Running this for club relay, boards 5k and for a charity nomination. The thought briefly crossed my mind that I should run a more honest 5k route, that thought was quickly laughed off. I got up at 7.30am, i wanted to get out before the roads were busy as it's mostly a main road i'll be on. I eat my breakfast, i take a dangerous amount of caffeine, do some mobility drills as i'm stiff as can be, still feeling a bit of burn from my mile tt. Out the door, I jog to the highest point within 2km, i do some more drills and strides as i prepare my journey to the lowest point within 2km.

The start is a lovely dirty downhill for a few hundred metres, can't really judge this just enjoying the free headstart, out then onto the flat road and my normal pace kicks in, probably 6 - 6.20ish who knows :pac: The decline begins, i check the watch and its sub 6mm, im cruising, its all way too easy. The hill goes all the way to about 2.5km, so i guess you could say this is when the race really starts for me. But of course i've saved so much energy at this point its just fine, im trotting along at sub 6min pace, i dont even feel like trying any harder cause it doesnt feel like a race, i dont feel like stopping like i would in a race, there's a breeze in my face which is making it harder than i would have liked. Then i had a great idea, turn around! So for the last half a mile i now have a breeze on my back lol, it's a bit sore now and i should really kick to the end but i don't want any pain so i just keep going and push a bit for the last .11

18.16. Didn't even feel too bad after which is great. Does it count? nope.Was it shameless? yep. Was it fun? Absolutely. I'm hoping my relay team win the club competition so I can create a solid amount of froth from the overly competitive fun runners among us!

You poor thing. That wind in your face sounded horrible. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

I think Hugh should be made to go straight back out and do it again. There wasn't half enough suffering :D:D

I'm just annoyed I didnt think of turning sooner!

• Advertisement

Down/TT Week over.

Mon - Rest
    Tues - 4m Easy & strides
    Wed - Mile TT
    Thurs - Rest
    Fri - Rest
    Sat - 5k TT
    Sun - 7m easy

Mpw - 20-25

A really fun week. Back to the grind now. It looks like everyone who lives near me also ran down the Dublin road for their 5k TT! The plan right now is to repeat the last 4 weeks unless i get fed up or the body is not happy with the mileage. So mile intervals, hill sprints, tempo, long run then test in 3-4 weeks maybe in line with whatever virtual runs are on the go.

Advertisement