Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Peds Peddler - 400m & The Mile

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Sacksian wrote: »
    I've had a similar season to what you've described a few posts ago - slowest times in years in the 8.

I was originally hoping to finish up this week with 8s at the Graded on Weds and then Drogheda but achilles is acting up so I'm definitely not racing Wednesday. Hopefully, get to do one final race on in Drogheda on Saturday but I may just have to start posting in the xc thread from july. Good luck on Wednesday.

It's hard to put a finger on it, I likely came back after injury all guns blazing and it was just too much. Sometimes I wonder if 3 hard sessions every week is too much for oul lads working full time/family life etc. Gym sessions then on top.

Thanks Saskian, hope you can make it Sat. If I show any improvement at all I think i'll see the season out, I won't be long missing the track when i'm plodding around a field battling with a 70 year old

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

IvoryTower wrote: »
    It's hard to put a finger on it, I likely came back after injury all guns blazing and it was just too much. Sometimes I wonder if 3 hard sessions every week is too much for oul lads working full time/family life etc. Gym sessions then on top.

I tend to agree that 3 hard sessions every week is too much for most of us. I can sustain it for a few weeks but then need to back off. Probably needs to be used tactically e.g. in lead-in to key race or to boost fitness, like in a training camp. Even with a base in place and no recent injuries, it's easy to over-do it.
    BTW do you count a long run as a "hard session" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

dna_leri wrote: »
    I tend to agree that 3 hard sessions every week is too much for most of us. I can sustain it for a few weeks but then need to back off. Probably needs to be used tactically e.g. in lead-in to key race or to boost fitness, like in a training camp. Even with a base in place and no recent injuries, it's easy to over-do it.

Yeah, I was going to comment on this but I'm not one to give advice on how to stay injury-free, although that's because I tend to do stupid things outside training!

To me, that workload sounds insane. BUT if your sessions are on the shorter side or involve a lot of recovery and aren't all anaerobic ball-busters, it's possible although you'd be better doing the gym as part of them or on the same day, rather than as a separate day/session.

It depends on what you call a session and how hard any individual run is.

A lot of distance guys do sessions tues & sat and tempo thurs, which would be too much for me, especially with a longer run on Sunday, whereas you get sprinters doing shorter sessions with a lot of recovery and maybe gym on top.

You might just have got caught a bit between the two in the last while. Build up to something that you know you can maintain and that you'll either enjoy or are motivated by - probably the best way to get consistency.

dna_leri wrote: »

A typical week May/June

Tues - Tempo (hard)
    Thurs - Speed endurance (hard)
    Sat - Hills (hard)

Then easy runs/rest and long run Sunday

I notice we do a steady run on a sat now if we've done a really hard session Thurs

On top of that though I was doing lot of gym work, probably not sleeping enough, not eating well....

I have what I call the stairs test, if I struggle to get up the 2 flights of stairs at work I'm in trouble, unfortunately it's pretty tough at the moment :)

• Advertisement

Dublin graded santey b race

2.09!

Finally a decent run! I love that track, never fails me. It was lashing all evening but the rain stopped in time for me to warm up outside. Barely any wind, can you believe it. Got off fine, the dude beside me slipped in a puddle unfortunately. At the breaking point I was level with some dude and decided to play it safe and settle in behind him. I was at the back of a nice pack so this was perfect running into the corner breeze. At 400 I saw the clock was about 2.04/2.05 so this was spot on, just stay with them I thought. On the back straight the group was starting to stretch, coming up to the last 200 I could feel the guy ahead of me was fading so decided to pass him, at 150 I felt great so kicked to the end. Honestly I felt like I could have ran another 100m. It feels easier kicking/sprinting than it does trying to hold the pace around the 500-600 mark. That doesn't make sense but anyway :)

Happy out. Looking forward to imc now, slower track and likely more wind but I know theres more in me so will give it a blast. Happy to continue my season into August as well cause theres still hope of a PB there.

Nice to be able to post something that's not moaning about being tired

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Congrats :D Sounds like you had a great race

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Great work. Get your entry in for nationals. No reason not to run.

FRI - 5m easy
    Sat - 3 x 300 race pace, 8min rest, 3 x 300 race pace. This would murderous. My training bud was on the group floor after it. Great session, definitely felt it helped with my race last night.
    Sun - 6.4m easy
    Mon - 4m easy
    Tues -pre race shake out, 2m easy + warmup & strides
    Wed - 2m w/u, race, 2m w/d
    Thurs - 6m easy

All easy running below 150hr which is about 8.30 mile pace. Going to pile this on when the track season ends.

IMC Drogheda 800m D race

2.08 SB, possibly an outdoor pb, I ran 2.08 3 years ago...

For the first time in ages I was really nervous before this. Buzzing to race an IMC on the home ground, big crowd, lovely sunny day, really felt up for it. The plan was to be braver than wed night, if it came between me and someone else at the cut to push on. I shared a lane with some nice dude from the north, he said he ran 2.08 a few weeks back, unfortunately this sowed the seed that I should let him lead out. I can't actually remember how that panned out but at 100 there was a group of us coming together so as planned I pushed ahead of them before settling in on someones shoulder. I was wishing at this point that the wind was being blocked but didn't want anyone to box me in either. At 400 i saw 2.03, maybe 2.04 on the clock so i knew all was good. I had no one to block the wind again on the back straight, i just figured make it to the last 200 and away you go. Again the best part of my race, only tied up with meters to go so i'm happy I ran a good race. Looking forward to the video cause it's quite a blur.

Hope that's readable because I'm absolute bolloxed!

Achilles felt a little tender so will just try and easy run tomorrow and see how it is.

• Advertisement

Official time 2:08.35.

You need to start keeping track of your times to the nearest hundredth. :D

Fantastic running. Well done again.

Sat - IMC 2.08.35 + 3m jogging
    Sun - 9m easy @8.32
    Mon - 4m @9.34 recovery run
    Tues - 3 x 10min @6.36 look, its bad, but its better than it was
    Wed - 3.4m @9.30recovery run
    Thurs - (300 x 3) x 2, 2 x 200. 52,51,51 51,50, 49 28, 30. I was bad....was supposed to be hitting 48/30.
    Fri - 4.5m @7.58 hr 152. Some drunk guy wrote off my car last night(drove into it parked) so I just went for a run despite having little sleep. HR higher than id of liked

Well i'm entered into nationals. Hoping to have a good run and end my season then. If the weather is bad or i mess it up i might go again in Antrim a couple of weeks later. Have a wedding on for national masters. Unfortunate lack of races in August tbh, i might give the mile a lash at Dublin graded if I'm not sick of it all by then.

My mileage seems to be knocking around 30mpw without me making any real effort to run more, i seemed to have transitioned somewhat over the last while. My feet seem to have finally accepted its middle distance destiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

You're training for a shorter distance than me but putting in more weekly mileage. I really should up my weekly mileage.

You're training for a shorter distance than me but putting in more weekly mileage. I really should up my weekly mileage.

I was a sprinter up until last year so I've literally gone from 1mpw to 30mpw...it hasnt been without its problems so i would do it slowly. They say no more than 10% increase every week and other training should be taken into account. Football training is intense so keep an eye on that. I do 3 hard sessions a week, couldn't handle 4, id count a football session as 1 deffo

The people I train with who are at a good masters md standard would run between 30 and 60 I would say.

Sat 6 miles
    Sun Rest
    Mon - 3 x 300, 3 x 200, 3 x 100 , race pace, very sluggish lately, can't even get close to my 800 race pace in training over 300m
    Tues - Rest
    Wed - jog + 6 x 100 strides
    Thurs - Rest
    Fri - Jog + strides

Weight - 12.29

Nationals tomorrow. Feeling very weak on my runs, its probably the weather. Hopefully can finish off the season with a decent run tomorrow. The weather looks good, I love Santry, will likely be nervous which i find helps, my weight is good, lots of positives. I'll be running on my own at the back no doubt but at least I won't be running in lane 2 at all so still good opportunity for a decent time.

Best of luck tomorrow.

2.06!

Off to croke park now to celebrate end of season pb, the usual 10 word race report can wait , yeeeooowwwww

• Registered Users Posts: 10,447 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Congrats!

Wow. That's great going and just deserts.

National Seniors 800m Heat 1

It's a strange feeling going into a race knowing you're going to come last but I knew this was a good opportunity for a pb regardless. I haven't gone out too fast at all this season so my only thought was to remember to keep pushing at 500m when that "uh oh" feeling starts to make its way through your body. I felt with the good weather, mondo track and not having to run in lane 2 at all could help get me a pb. It all went as planned I guess, strong finish as usual, no real fear of tying up badly. 2 second outdoor pb, 1 second on my indoor. I would love to go back next year and run close to 2 minutes and maybe beat a few of the young lads.

Season Over!!!

What a great way to end the season. Unfortunately I have a wedding on during the masters so I don't feel any need to keep my season going. I think overall it was a successful year and I came a long way from running 2.20 at Christmas. My 400 times would suggest I've plenty more to go and I do believe that. If I was to change anything this year it would obviously be to not get injured. It's hard to predict what injuries are coming but I was running my easy miles too hard back then, I also have tight calves, bad ankle mobility,these all led to a sore Achilles. Going forward i'll continue doing my easy miles under 150hr, also stretching my calves and doing calve raises everyday.

What now

Daily easy miles now until I feel well recovered. I would love to race the mile next week in Dublin but not sure if i'll have a car by then. A sub 5 mile and sub 19 5k would be two fun targets to go for between now and christmas. I'll likely join up with the cross country training when that gets started. My days of going to the gym 3 times a week seem numbered, the value of easy miles over gym sessions is pretty big in my opinion and ive also another baby on the way at christmas(WOO!), so getting to the gym will become very tricky. I'll aim to do a couple of strength sessions at home every week.

Thanks to everyone else who chipped in with advice and support over the year, always great to have :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭caseyjones1

Delighted for you. Great end to the season. See you for xc, I guess we'll be training together again by then :-)

Delighted for you. Great end to the season. See you for xc, I guess we'll be training together again by then :-)

Can't wait :D

Mon - 7m easy
    Tues- 5m easy
    Wed - Rest
    Thurs - 3.4m easy

I reckon another week or two of only easy running. I have a cold at the moment so doubtful i'll make the mile, will make a call Tuesday

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Mon - 7m easy
    Tues- 5m easy
    Wed - Rest
    Thurs - 3.4m easy

I reckon another week or two of only easy running. I have a cold at the moment so doubtful i'll make the mile, will make a call Tuesday

Do you not plan to take a full break from athletics for a few weeks? Always good from a physical and mental perspective to have a break. All the top 800m runners will take at least a couple of weeks doing no training. Easy running is still training.

This down period is always a good time to do other things to keep fit, like swimming, cycling, kayaking, hiking or whatever. The purpose of a break is mental as much as physical. I was told by a former coach to get out of the mindset that you're training during that time.

I'm not training but i still like to go for an easy run, these are 9 min mile runs, I would actually hate to take a break completely. I got a bike yesterday so I do plan on doing some cycling as well.

Back at it now after a week at the Fleadh. As you can imagine after a week of boozing and not running I feel pretty terrible, i might actually be coming down with something, hopefully just still recovering.... I done an easy run yesterday, then tried a 3 x 8min tempo this morning to try and shake off the cobwebs. It wasn't too bad, just over 7min pace. I've entered the Griffith avenue mile to see where i'm at, with the goal being sub 5 before Christmas. I'm thinking i'll run a few 5k races in place of tempos for fun and to help push myself.

Mon - 5 mile easy
    Tues - tempo just over 7min - was coughing up the green stuff so went to doc, start of chest infection, i asked for augmentin cause ive never beaten a chest infection before without it
    Wed - Rest
    Thurs - 4m easy
    Fri - 4m easy
    Sat - 4m easy followed by another 3m really easy while i waited for a lift
    Sun - 9m really really easy

Feel pretty normal now, just have to finish the antibiotics. Base training starts Tuesday, after a few weeks of easy running and drinking i'm well and truly ready to get back to it.

Mon - Rest
    Tues - Tempo - 20min@7 12min@6.50 5min@7 (was supposed to go down to 6.30 but was wrecked..) total 8miles
    Wed - 5m easy
    Thurs - 3.8m recovery
    Fri - 6.8m easy

The easy runs are super easy, cross country training starts next week i think :cool: I'm not in a rush to add a second session, will see how the body feels after another tempo on Tuesday

Griffith mile coming up but I've decided to just train through it and any other races I do, i'll switch them in instead of a session. The real goal between now and Christmas is to improve aerobically as much as possible. Get my body comfortable running 30-40 miles per week. I think i'm already comfortable with 30, as I get fitter it should just go up while running the same amount of time.

Looking back on strava between sept and christmas last year i averaged 18mpw. I think this could be a big boost for me going into the indoors. I just have to do it sensibly to avoid any injuries. Lots of grass and keeping the easy stuff easy

Friday - 6.8m easy
    Sat - 10m easy
    Sun - 3m recovery
    Mon - rest
    Tues 6m including warm up - tempo with 4 x 2min pick ups, steady about 7.15 picking up to about 6.45
    Wed - 5m easy
    Thurs - 5m easy

So I went a bit overboard last week with the miles, 38 in total, my achilles let me know it wasn't happy, not sore really but i know if i push my luck it will get sore, very much the early signs of what had me miss a month earlier in the year. Decided to do easy miles today instead of session. I'll likely just do similar for the next few days and should be good for the tempo then on Tuesday. I'm eager to up the miles but I think hovering around 30-35 for a few weeks would be sensible.

• Advertisement

Fri - 4m easy
    Sat - 5m easy
    Sun - 6m easy

MPW - 31

Mon - Rest
    Tues - 5m tempo with 5 x 2min pickups. Steady @7.15 pick up @6.40
    Wed - 5m recovery
    Thurs - 6 x 1k @6min pace. Delighted with this session.
    Friday - 5m easy

Achilles feels perfect the last few days. A friend can't make the Dromisken 5k tomorrow so I'm going to give it a bash. The legs are well and truly doms filled but looking forward to setting a marker. I'll try for 20min pace thereabouts. Will set 18.59 as the goal for jingle bells.

Advertisement