Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Peds Peddler - 400m & The Mile

Options
1181920212224»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Hey Dubh, good to be back!

Thats great, ill have a read through so, might have some questions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Best of luck with this, looking forward to seeing what you think of it!

Thanks Lainey excited to try it.

Early EIM attempts, siding with caution for now, also doing as much on grass until i feel a bit stronger

Sat- 400 on 400 off, I think we done about 7 of these, effort felt about right for this i would say, ignoring the times for now. looking forward to trying it again

Mon - 200s on threadmill. I'm not sure how to program the threadmill yet so i done about 40s on 1min off for 8 reps. I stopped it at 8 because i havent ran fast in so long, figure better play it safe

Tues - 1k on 1k off on grass. This alternated 5min/6min. I think this is probably too fast for my current fitness. I left it at 3 reps. Calves stung a little so played it safe again.

Will try the 200s on threadmill again today.

Wed -10 x 200s on threadmill. 40s on, 1 min off, walking the first 20s of rest. This felt very smooth and feels like the only session im doing right at the moment.

Thurs - 7 x 400, 400 recovery with 20 second walk and start and about 10 seconds before next rep. These just feel too long for 400s with my current speed/fitness.

I've joined the EIM running group on facebook and Klass actually posted changes for people who are unfit, slow, coming back from injury etc. He says to run for time instead of distance until fit enough. So for 400s do 90sec on, 2min off. This sounds better for me right now, when the 90sec starts to look like 400m ill switch back.

Fri - Rest today

Edit - Weight - 201.5 pounds

Time to lose the covid weight. Down from 210 since i started back but its stalled now so going to start recording it to remind myself to lay off the mcdonalds

Post edited by IvoryTower on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Sorry I should have mentioned that FB group. It's very interesting & good that Klass himself or Russ will give their opinions on people's queries.

I had read about it before, there's not all that much you can read about when Googling eim, you'd have read every thead and article in an hour or two! Some good letsrun conversations

Sat - Session time, 200s, job back recovery. Done 7 @41, the last was 43 so i called it a day. I have lost so much speed, here's hoping EIM helps with that

Sun - 8m easy with friends

Mon - Rest

Missed a week, between toddler and work, also think i was pretty tired from the previous week training so i have to keep an eye on the load.

This week

Tues - I jumped in with a club group doing mile repeats, this was at a comfortable pace for me so while not exactly EIM, it keeps in line with being able to recover for the next day.

Wed - Threadmill, 30s on, 60-90s off. Really enjoy this, feel like its already having an impact on my form

Thurs - 800 repeats with the club, again within myself, stopped at 6 when i started to feel tired.

For now i like this idea of running comfortable sessions with the club, it helps me get out of the house to meet people, allows me to recover pretty well like EIM, allows me to do my easy 200s the next day. When they are doing longer tempos ill stick to a traditional EIM session. I will hopefully stick to this now for a few weeks and start to see some fitness.

Entered the Irish runner 5k this Sunday, just want to set an early comeback time that i can chip away at over the next few months to give me a boost. I have absolutely no doubt I will go out way too hard and die a death but I'm here for it.

Irish Runner 5k

First race in over 2 years! First race since my first gold in the indoor masters!

Anyway, to summarise, it was a fun disaster I guess. I got out of the car at the hole in the wall, I went to jog across a green to take a shortcut towards the race start and rolled my ankle in a hole. Crap. Sat there on the grass bitterly disappointed. I needed to use a bathroom anyway so figured id walk to the start line and see how I felt. It got easier to walk after a few minutes, got to the start line, went to do a couple of strides but didn't feel good so i just lined up to start the race and said id drop out if it got too painful.

I went into the 20 - 21 min area, not because I thought I could run that, just because it was nearly empty and I knew someone there to chat to. When the gun went I felt good, the adrenaline mostly numbed any pain, in fact I felt like I was cruising quite comfortably as I hit the 1k mark, at 2k the same, then the hill around 3k, damn. Even though I took it pretty handy up the hill I had a lovely stitch after it, it felt hard now and basically accepted it wasn't worth trying to push through the pain and just enjoy the rest of the race. There was no fight in me, I'm unfit, injured, just enjoyed being back and the race atmosphere.

Obviously its a pretty spectacularly bad time but it will be fun chipping away at it over the coming months. The ankle ballooned when I got home but I managed to get the swelling down and I would hope to be able to run this week.

• Advertisement

Mon - Rest

Tues - Threadmill, 5min wu, 60s on, 90s off x8. Ankle feels okay

Wed - Threadmill,5min wu, 30s on, 90s off x10

Thurs - Training ground,wu 1 mile, 800 on 800 off x 4. Okay, i feel like i have this session down now, i will increase it to 6 reps soon and maybe to 1k reps at some point

Fri - Threadmill 75s on 75s x 8.

Sat - Rest

Sun 10k easy

Nice week of running. The threadmill is the best thing ive ever bought. I finished Klass EIM book and i'm now really convinced this is the way to go for me. Low stress, no tempos,all interval training,daily running, regular racing/time trials, its literally everything i would dream of in a program. the 1k/800m repeats will be my bread and butter.

I'll aim for this over the coming weeks, rest days whenever i feel tired etc

Mon - Rest

Tues - 800s eim

Wed - 200/400s eim

Thurs - 800s eim (or light club session)

Friday - 200/400s eim

Sat - Race/Time trial

Sun - long run with friends

Last week

Mon - Rest

Tues - 800 on 800 off x 5

Wed - 30s on, 90s x 10 off on threadmill

Thurs - 7 x 400 with club, easy pace but was feeling chesty so stopped when it got hard

Fri - rest

Sat - rest

Sun- 10m easy. Buzzing with this, great to have my long run back. Coffee with friends and clubmates after, a routine i hope to hold onto this time.

This week

Mon - rest

Tues - 30s on, 90s x 10 off on threadmill

Post edited by IvoryTower on

Mon - rest

Tues - 30s on, 90s x 10 off on threadmill

Wed - warmup, 15s x 10 with 60s recovery on threadmill. Was an attempt to replicate the eim 100s. It was okay, certainly be more comfortable running that fast on a track

Thurs - Balbriggan 5k. Swapped it in for training last minute. 23.07, stuck with my training buddies, didn't like the course, there were bollards appearing out of no where with no stewards warning people about them, large chunks of the course you couldnt overtake or it was dangerous to. It would be frustrating if you were looking for a good time. I just sat in and made sure to not break a leg. There's some nice flatish 5ks coming up so plenty more practice.

Fri - Rest

Sat - Rest

Sun - 10m easy. Favourite time of the week now, I don't intend on missing many of these.

Goal this week is to try get more of the longer EIM done, 1ks & 400s.

Mon - Rest

Tues - 90s on, 2.30 off (400s eim)

Wed - 90s on, 2.30s off (400s eim)

thurs - 10 x 400 in 110s, 60r. nice and comfortable

Fri - Rest

Sat - kayaking

Sun - 18.75k , meant to do 10m, but 2 of my friends were doing 12 so stuck with them. Lovely run

Mon - rest & sports massage

I think I could add another run on Fri or Sat, will see how i feel. I have entered st cocoa 5k in Kilcock, would like to run this without blowing up and take a chunk off my recent efforts

Week off to do DIY

Mon - rest

Tues - 5 x mile with club @7.30

Wed - diy!

Thurs - 10 x 400, comfortable

Fri - Rest

Sat - rest

Sun - 10m

Id like to get more running done but feeling fitter every wee. Down a stone since the start, happy days. St Cocas on Friday to see where im at. Hopefully around 21-22min now

Mon - Rest

Tues - 1k repeats EIM, about 6min on, 7.30 off. Honestly, this was okay but its very very long. Even though its all very "easy" the sure volume seemed like too much. I'll bring this back to 800m in future until my body is used to running again

Wed - Rest, needed

Thurs - 35s on, 90s off x 15(EIM). This is a lovely light treadmill session. Race Friday but I just want to keep my 4 day week going despite racing

Fri - St. Cocas 5k Kilcock

Lovely evening for it, windy but sunny. Lovely for the fun runners, probably less so for the competitive folk at the front. I set a target of 4.25kms, had my watch this time and set the lap repeats. It worked out perfectly, one slow km with the big hill, but then could make up for it on the last 2km as I felt good. 21.50. Happy with that. I don't feel ready to really hurt, that will come I guess as my times get down to the business end. I think sub 20 for jingle bells or something like that would be a good target but it remains to be seen if my "easy" training will still garner these easy gains.

Sat - Rest

Sun - 7.5k crawl. We had a bug, just shuffled on the grass for a bit.

I don't see myself competing in the new year, enjoying a more relaxed routine, will see how it pans out. Maybe I'll get more hungry as the fitness comes back. It would be nice to get to a point where I can run anything from 200m to 5k throughout the year without much concern. That sounds like a like of fun to me right now.

Mon - Rest

Tues - Fartlek Pyramid thing with the club

Wed - 15 x 35s on 90s off on threadmill (200s eim)

Thurs - Rest

Fri - Rest

Sat - Clontarf 5 mile

My friends were doing the half marathon so i entered the 5 mile for a nice social outing, race, grub and pints. I never ran 5m before but I knew I ran the 5k last week 4.30 - 4.40 pace so just dont run that pace. The kms were clocking around 4.50 and it felt good, comfortable start to finish, happy to finish 38.10.

What next.

My bottleneck that is my feet are aching a bit from the last 2 road races so I think i'll take a few days off, maybe even a week so I can have a fresh start. The plan now, if i stick to it, is to do EIM religiously for a block to give it a real chance. The road training groups are gearing up for marathon, the sessions are long and tough so its a good time for me to go it alone for now. I'll keep my Sunday long easy run with the lads. Hopefully EIM will allow me to add a day assuming I feel less beat up without the club sessions. I'll find a nice 5k race or parkrun then in about 5-6 weeks to put it to the test.

Sun - Rest

Mon - Rest

Wed - 35s on 90s off x 15 threadmill

Thurs - 4 min on 5 min off x 3

Fri - 25 min easy threadmill

Sat - 600 TT in 2 flat, 200 TT in 28. They are nice distances to TT, less scary than 800/400. I should try 300/100 some time as well. Not concerned about the times, they'll come good or at least better.

Sun 10k easy

So removing the club sessions obviously made it much easier to do EIM daily. I've entered carlingford 5k in a few weeks to see how its going.

So every week should look something like

Mon - Rest

Tues - 4min on/5 min off x 5

Wed - 35s on/90s off x 15

Thurs - 90s on/2.30 off x 12

Friday - Easy run, until i feel like i can handle more

Sat - Time trial of choice or hard session. I love time trials so no doubt thats what i will pick

Sun - 10k Easy, if I feel good i'll do more

To me this is an absolutely beautiful plan, if i was to hope something would get me fit, i couldnt come up with a better plan to suit me. I'm not tired at all, i get to time trial regularly, no tempos, full recovery between days. I'm dreaming that this works well and i can just continue to build on it. There should be 100s in there somewhere which i can add when i get fitter. This is enough load for now.

Goals for the year, sub 20 5k, sub 5.30 mile, sun 2.10 800

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Still great speed in your legs IT. I assume you ran that 200 on the fly?

Yes indeed, a lot slower than before but I'm sure it will come, at least some of it :)

I think I missed a week log there but every week is basically as planned

Mon - Rest

Tues - 4min on 5min off. I do this by HR and its incredibly slow. I'm going to read over the book again to make sure I'm doing it right. It's more like a long easy run than anything.

Wed - 35s on 90s Off, this is my 200s EIM on a threadmill, id say its more like 150m on a track, must try it on the track some day

Thurs - 90s on 2.30 off, This is supposed to be 400s EIM, I do this at the training ground and its about 330 - 340m reps, but its been creeping up

Fri - Easy run

Sat - Time Trial, last week was 3k + 10 x steady 100s. This weekend I'll hopefully get back to the track to do something fun

Sun - 10k. I would like to do 10m but essentially if I feel beat up at 10k I just leave it. We do 5k laps so its easy to drop out and wait for the lads

This training is all very easy so far. I'm increasing it in little bits as I feel a bit stronger(when my feet feel good basically). It's like a training program where you're trying to see how fit you can get without working hard. I have Carlingford 5k next Friday so I'll take a down week to allow recovery and hopefully a decent race. I'd love to say 21.59 but I think about 21.30 is realistic improvement on the last race.

• Advertisement

A tough week at work

Mon - Rest

Tues - 6 x 4min on 5min off (10k total)

Wed - work

Thurs - Work

Fri - Carlingford 5k

It wasnt my usual exciting race day. Flat out in a very stressful work day and before I knew it I was rushing up to carlingford without having a thought on racing all day. I could feel the anxious energy through my body all day from work. Warmed up with my mate and I had a feeling the stress might have tired my body but still couldnt wait to race. We were both excited and nervous to get going. The goal was to simply improve on my 22min in kilcock. Hopefully at least 30s.

There was a nice breeze on our back at the start line so i knew my first half should be faster. Off we went, was still unsure about how my legs would hold up after the long day, they felt a bit dead from the stress but my breathing was smooth so that was good enough for me. 4.09 first km, happy with this, in to the breeze on the way back so thats some time in the bank.

After the initial surge everything calmed and I was just throdding along comfortably, waiting for the pain to come but nothing yet. 4.16km

We turned at the end of the long drag so despite feeling good i knew this is when the pain would start. To my surprise the road veers to the right but also goes down to a more sheltered road so while i could feel the wind it wasnt too bad at all. i kept tucking in behind people and then moving on when if i felt good. 4.16 again

Even though i wasnt running any faster for some reason i started to feel a bit of zip in my legs. It was like they were finally free from the thoughts of work that day, I felt like i was on the threadmill where the legs were kinda carrying me faster than I felt I should be going if that makes any sense.

Last km, I knew i felt too good to only have a km left, I still didnt want to push on, was happy with how the race had went and i decided id push hard the last 400m which gave me a nice 3.59 for the last km. 21.04 official so I was absolutely thrilled. I expect to take minutes off this over time but I'm sure as hell going to enjoy every step of the way. Sub 20 is in reach now again and I never would have thought that 6 months ago.

Advertisement