Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Peds Peddler - 400m & The Mile

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Mon - Rest/strength work

Tues - 5 x 800 @ 2.40 2.30r

2.41, 2.42, 2.42, 2.44, 2.42

30-35km wind, delighted with this, in June i was running this session about 1.52+

Wed - 4.2m easy on threadmill

Thurs - 2 x (5 x 300) 60r

52, 50, 51, 52, 54 52, 51, 51, 53, 51

40km wind, great session

Fri - 4.2m easy on threadmill + strength

Sat - 5 x 1m @6.22 90r

3 hours sleep so planned on taking it easy, thankfully it was an easy day for everyone. Nice comfortable session.

Sun - 10m @9min pace, felt pretty wrecked between training and baby sleep so nice and easy, feet were starting to get sore in the last mile so happy to get it over with, rest day tomorrow.

Solid week, building nicely. Managed to get my easy runs back by using a gym at lunchtime. Got to train with the group on Saturday which was a bonus, hopefully be back with them regularly in a few weeks. At the very worst i'll be able to join them in the summer when my son goes to bed a bit later. Next week I have the AAI games senior 400m. Dreading that 400 pain,not sure how it will go but convinced a couple of 400s will give my 800 a boost. As Scullion says, if you don't use a skill you don't have it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

You're in great shape, IT - the aerobic stuff paid dividends in your recent 8s and now it's time to sharpen the saw with the 400s!!

Sacksian wrote: »
    You're in great shape, IT - the aerobic stuff paid dividends in your recent 8s and now it's time to sharpen the saw with the 400s!!

Thanks Saskian! I really feel it, can't believe it's the start of Feb, if I can stay healthy it's going to be a fun year.

Mon - rest

Tues - 5 x 150 walk back, 3 x 200 90 rest, 2 x 300 3min rest. 4 min between sets

5 x 22, 3 x 29, 2 x 45

A good fun session. No complaints

Wed - strength work, foot unhappy since long run, tough session Tues didn't help, decided to skip easy run

Thurs - 6 x 200 @28 2min rest. went to track, soon as I started to jog I knew I had to rest my foot so off home I went

Fri - 5 x 200 @28 2min rest. Foot felt much better so said I'd give it a go, I had 4 or 5 reps in my head, foot was getting a little sore so happy to stop at 5 and have something in my legs for Sunday. All reps were bang on 28, slightly wind assisted to be honest but think I could hit 28 anyway.

AAI GAMES Sunday - 400m

Hard to know how this will go, I'm guessing there could be a 56 there all going well. Not going to worry if it goes bad, the goal of this is to give my 800 a boost and I've no doubt it will. My foot is a slight worry but I've managed this niggle many times so I think I have it under control. The long runs on concrete is the real killer for it so it's probably good timing for me to have a 400m race instead. I'm a bit anxious about using the blocks,hate them, but sure, could have worse problems

AAI Games Senior 400m Heat 1

Rested my foot all day Saturday, bit of icing, lots of sitting around with the baby. It felt pretty good Sunday, you'd know its there but no pain as such. Felt pretty good otherwise. Bit anxious about this race with it being the dreaded 400. I hate the blocks, ive never felt comfortable using them. The last 100m, awful, way worse than an 800 i dont care what anyone says. Then just the fact that i trained for it for 4 years so every race feels kinda bad now that its not my focus.

My missus just slagged me for filling in my diary lol

Anyway, warm up went fine, no pain, all good. Plan was the same as every 400, all out for about 30m, cruise at 95% until 250m, start to pick it up as I slow down and just keep my **** together until the end. There were 5 heats, they put a master runner in each race in lane 2, yeah, thanks for that. So I was in lane 2 with 3 young bucks in 3, 4, 5. I knew I would be on my own which i'm happy with, no interference at the break, can stick to the game plan.

I get out well, everything feels pretty smooth considering i hadn't used the blocks since this time last year. The closest young lad is about 3 seconds head of me throughout so no need to concern myself with him. I'm just staying relaxed and getting ready for the pain. Come 250 i can feel i'm slowing up, so i begin the pick up, its going okay until about half way around the bend, the lactic is really filling up and getting harder and harder to run, with about 30m to go it feels like my arms are weights and my legs wont move unless i keep throwing them hard as I can. I just remind myself the key here is not to panic just keep pumping your arms, you're moving faster than you think

Stopped abruptly as i crossed the line, no way these legs were going any further. Was instantly happy that i had given my all no matter what the time. Left everything out there. I walked straight over to my coach and he said well done you ran high 53...i was like what? nah. Checked official time, 53.74, un****ing believable. Indoor pb and my second fastest 400 ever. Honestly i had it in the back of my mind that i could run a 55 here but 56 would be respectable, had no idea I could pb. Bless that 800 endurance, its going to be a good year!!!

Now I just need to get this foot right, if its not 100% by Tues i'll bite the bullet and skip a session(the horror). I have to keep reminding myself that my season will go well if i just stay injury free...

Tltr 53.74

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Fantastic well done :D

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

Brilliant! The perfectly raced 400, and the result to boot. Love it.

Some wheels!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

IvoryTower wrote: »
    AAI Games Senior 400m Heat 1

Rested my foot all day Saturday, bit of icing, lots of sitting around with the baby. It felt pretty good Sunday, you'd know its there but no pain as such. Felt pretty good otherwise. Bit anxious about this race with it being the dreaded 400. I hate the blocks, ive never felt comfortable using them. The last 100m, awful, way worse than an 800 i dont care what anyone says. Then just the fact that i trained for it for 4 years so every race feels kinda bad now that its not my focus.

My missus just slagged me for filling in my diary lol

Anyway, warm up went fine, no pain, all good. Plan was the same as every 400, all out for about 30m, cruise at 95% until 250m, start to pick it up as I slow down and just keep my **** together until the end. There were 5 heats, they put a master runner in each race in lane 2, yeah, thanks for that. So I was in lane 2 with 3 young bucks in 3, 4, 5. I knew I would be on my own which i'm happy with, no interference at the break, can stick to the game plan.

I get out well, everything feels pretty smooth considering i hadn't used the blocks since this time last year. The closest young lad is about 3 seconds head of me throughout so no need to concern myself with him. I'm just staying relaxed and getting ready for the pain. Come 250 i can feel i'm slowing up, so i begin the pick up, its going okay until about half way around the bend, the lactic is really filling up and getting harder and harder to run, with about 30m to go it feels like my arms are weights and my legs wont move unless i keep throwing them hard as I can. I just remind myself the key here is not to panic just keep pumping your arms, you're moving faster than you think

Stopped abruptly as i crossed the line, no way these legs were going any further. Was instantly happy that i had given my all no matter what the time. Left everything out there. I walked straight over to my coach and he said well done you ran high 53...i was like what? nah. Checked official time, 53.74, un****ing believable. Indoor pb and my second fastest 400 ever. Honestly i had it in the back of my mind that i could run a 55 here but 56 would be respectable, had no idea I could pb. Bless that 800 endurance, its going to be a good year!!!

Now I just need to get this foot right, if its not 100% by Tues i'll bite the bullet and skip a session(the horror). I have to keep reminding myself that my season will go well if i just stay injury free...

Tltr 53.74

Brilliant, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Congrats IT. Fantastic run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Great running. Well done.

Thanks everyone, really appreciate it, was buzzing for days after.

Mon - Rest

Tues - 30 easy and 30 strength work. I realise at this point I've got a cold, I havent had much sleep all week and definitely havent recovered from the pb so push session back to Wednesday

Wed - 10 x 400 - Struggling from the get go, I get to rep 7 and call it a day. Disappointing but the lack of sleep all week is killing me

Thurs - 4m easy

Friday - 2 x 300 w3min rest, 3 x 200 90r , 5 x 150 walk back. 4 min between sets. So same as last week only reversed. I had only 4 hours sleep before this continuing my car crash of a week. Thankfully I can run fast on relatively little sleep so the session still went well and kinda saved an otherwise terrible week.

45, 44, put spikes on, 27, 28, 28, 21 x 5

I used the wind on my back as much as could so times look a bit fast but hitting these times fairly comfortably
    it.
    Sat - 6m easy - The group were doing 400 on 400 off type fartlek but I just wasnt up for it after another bad nights sleep and having done the session on Friday.

Sun - 10m - 10m on an 800m soggy grass loop in a frickin storm. The reason for this torture was I wanted to protect my dodgy feet, so soft ground and being close to my car was the order of the day and it worked a treat. HR was 160 which is far too high but running into that wind every lap i just decided to ignore it and go on feel.

SO. Really struggled this week, getting 3-5 hours sleep most nights due to poxy night feeds. Its fine for a day or two but if you do a few in a row everything starts to fall apart. Got a good sleep Saturday which has made me feel more positive about things going forward. I'm keeping my feet well bubble wrapped for the next few weeks. All easy running on grass no matter how muddy it is. Leinsters is next Saturday, i've entered the senior 800m. 2 of my group who have recently ran 2.02 are entered so my hope is to get their race, hang onto them and take home a nice pb. They will hope to go faster than that but if I fall anywhere in the pb realm i'll be delighted and very much ready for national masters.

Here is my "race" from last week, it's a solo run but nice to be able to check on form and keep that pb memory alive

Mon - 4m recovery on grass + Strength

Tues - 8 x 200 accelerations. Floating for 50m, accelerating for 100m, floating for 50m

29, 27, 27, 28, 27, 27, 28, 29

This is a fun session that gets very hard towards the end. The first 5 reps replicate passing someone in 800 race then the last 3 feel like the end. Very happy with those times, will find out tomorrow if they mean anything.

Wed - Strength + Sports Massage

Thurs - 6 x 150 comfortably, some easy running before

Fri - Rest

Leinsters Tomorrow

So my pal Kieran has pulled out, that's my A plan out the window, but Mark O'Shea is still running. If I get the same heat as him I will try to chase for as long as possible. If not, just go for it. I'm going to try run a positive split for a change, its supposed to be the best way to race it, I prefer the idea of running a negative split but want to try this out.

Good luck tomorrow

Good luck tomorrow

Thanks Career move, can't wait!

Leinster Senior 800m

Who needs a race report when you have a video! So I guess the plan didn't exactly work out, there always seemed to be someone inbetween me and Mark so I couldn't stay tight to him. It turned out Shane Healy had the same plan as me and we kinda got in each others way at different stages with me coming out on top at the end but there was already too big of a gap to stay with Mark. We came through 400 in at least 62 when we wanted 60, i finished with 61, once again positive splits, i cant get away from them! Anyway delighted to go home with a pb of 2.03.56 and come 5th. I felt awful in this race, maybe i was close to max effort as it took a while before I could walk properly afterwards, maybe a good sign! Leinsters is such a mess, warming up for about 90 minutes due to delays. Great to meet Saskian and other boardies, it's a fun day out despite the messiness.

I entered national seniors this morning, the coach has assured me I've 2 easy weeks ahead of national masters so the race would do me good. I had a pain in my left heel/achilles area after the race but I got out and done a really easy 10m this morning on grass and it feels pretty good. I showed my son the race and he said "you're way behind", so I've a bit more work to do :D

Congrats on the pb. You're in super form at the moment.

Congrats on the pb. You're in super form at the moment.

Thanks Career Move. I think the big winner has been my 400. My 800 still has a bit to go, I'm happy with the pb's but i'll be REALLY happy when I knock a few more seconds off. Sub 2 has to be the goal at this stage, with maybe 2 flat this year. I definitely do not feel the same about running 2.03 as I did running 53 2 weeks ago, I know which one was the real pb there!

How are you finding all your mileage, are you firmly back on the marathon buzz?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Great run. Any day you are ahead of Shane Healy is a good day !

dna_leri wrote: »
    Great run. Any day you are ahead of Shane Healy is a good day !

Haha exactly my thoughts the guy is incredible.

• Advertisement

Congrats. You're absolutely flying. Great decision to race National Seniors.

Also, interesting to see you were able to run the seniors at Leinsters rather than masters. I didn't know that was allowed. Its a damning indictment of the numbers and standard at Leinster masters when the best masters would rather race seniors.

I had to halt my warm up on Saturday as the programme was so far behind. I started warming up before the first event started, trusting that the event would start on time. They took an age to get the programme up and running and I ended up having to pause my warm up to avoid being burnt out come the race. Leinsters is consistently one of the worse organised events there is.

It is a mess, if it wasn't up the road I wouldnt bother but handy race to get to and good craic despite the madness.

Sunday - 10m very easy

Mon - 2 x 400, 3 x 200, 3 x 150 lots of rest

63, 63, 28, 28, 28, 20, 20, 20

I'm moving well, wind was a nuisance but helped for the 150s

Tues - Rest/Sports Massage

Wed - 6 x 150 + easy miles

Thurs - rest

Friday - rest

Still some pain in my left foot from the last race, nothing too serious but relieved it happened now with a week to go rather than running 40mpw on it. I would like to have got out Thurs or Fri but not too worried either, in full on taper at this stage. For strength work I just done the prehab elements.

National Senior 800

So same plan as last week, get out hard, get on the train, stay relaxed and hope it brings me to pb glory. I checked last years results and I would have been about 2nd or 3rd last in either heat, so I just need to be aware theyre not all going to be sub 2, be ready to pass if needs be. Should be less traffic than leinsters. Lets gooooooooo

National Senior 800m Heat 1

Nationals never fails, so well organised. As with every race i jotted down my timetable for the day. The great thing about nationals is i know thats not going to change, races were all on time. Had a nice warm-up run outside with Mark before we went our separate ways to warm up. When I done a few strides i knew i felt good, the taper had really done its job. Felt like i was floating with no effort. The heats came out,I was in the first heat, they also informed us that only the winner and 4 fastest times would go through. I felt this was god for me as it encouraged everyone not to piss about and just kick at the end which they often do in heats.

The nerves were really kicking-in in the call room, they were all so serious looking, wouldnt make eye contact with each other. And then there's me, mad for a chat but figure they wouldn't appreciate it! We start our walk out and im loving the adrenaline buzz, this is the feeling you miss at nia live, grades etc, nothing like lining out at nationals and i know it always gives me a boost.

Lap 1

The plan was to sit in, judging by the look of everyone in the call room i figured this could well be right at the back and i may only get a lap or two out of them. I'm sharing a lane and offer the top or bottom, he's delighted to take the top for some reason. The gun goes, i go hard knowing that losing the train in the first 50m would be an awful waste, they're moving fast but i manage to latch on at the end. I think i go through 29

Lap 2

I feel great, staying relaxed as can be, my coach shouts to close the gap a little as ive let a metre or so come between us, i pull it back and keep rolling, i cross the line in 60 and even though i feel perfect i start to doubt myself.

Lap 3

Thankfully i'm so focused on hanging on the back of the train i still do a decent lap, didnt look at the clock here. Just dont have the confidence to go any harder

Lap 4

Coming up the back straight my coach roars at me to kick but i bottled it big time, was still afraid i would struggle to the end. I wait until coming off the last bend to kick, i pass the guy who's after helping me for 3 laps(soz!), strong until the end. 2.01.63, absolutely buzzing, left wondering should i of kicked with 100 to go but who knows. Next time i do a 59/60 400 I won't let it put doubt in my mind, there's more there.

TLTR 2.01.63

Next up, National Masters. Another week of tapering then one more shot at it. Not too worried about the times this will be all about the race which is a nice change. I'm also entered into the 400 which is on straight away after, i dont even want to think about that, it will be absolute torture.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Fair play man, that’s some clipping. Very well done!!

TLTR 2.01.63

Next up, National Masters. Another week of tapering then one more shot at it. Not too worried about the times this will be all about the race which is a nice change. I'm also entered into the 400 which is on straight away after, i dont even want to think about that, it will be absolute torture.

Great running, and another strong finish. Whatever the tactics, you should get a good race next week and you know that if you need to run another pb, you're in the shape to do it.

p.s. Taking the guts of 2 secs off your pb is insane, btw!

Sacksian wrote: »
    Great running, and another strong finish. Whatever the tactics, you should get a good race next week and you know that if you need to run another pb, you're in the shape to do it.

p.s. Taking the guts of 2 secs off your pb is insane, btw!

Thanks saskian. Credit to my coach nailing the taper. I made sure to eat better this week and hydrate this morning which I felt helped. Bit lighter and no yucky feeling. All a learning curve!

National Senior 800m Heat 1

Nationals never fails, so well organised. As with every race i jotted down my timetable for the day. The great thing about nationals is i know thats not going to change, races were all on time. Had a nice warm-up run outside with Mark before we went our separate ways to warm up. When I done a few strides i knew i felt good, the taper had really done its job. Felt like i was floating with no effort. The heats came out,I was in the first heat, they also informed us that only the winner and 4 fastest times would go through. I felt this was god for me as it encouraged everyone not to piss and kick at the end which they often do in heats.

The nerves were really kicking-in in the call room, they were all so serious looking, wouldnt make eye contact with each other. And then there's me, mad for a chat but figure they wouldn't appreciate it! We start our walk out and im loving the adrenaline buzz, this is the feeling you miss at nia live, grades etc, nothing like lining out at nationals and i know it always gives me a boost.

Lap 1

The plan was to sit in, judging by the look of everyone in the call room i figured this could well be right at the back and i may only get a lap or two out of them. I'm sharing a lane and offer the top or bottom, he's delighted to take the top for some reason. The gun goes, i go hard knowing that losing the train in the first 50m would be an awful waste, they're moving fast but i manage to latch on at the end. I think i go through 29

Lap 2

I feel great, staying relaxed as can be, my coach shouts to close the gap a little as ive let a metre or so come between us, i pull it back and keep rolling, i cross the line in 60 and even though i feel perfect i start to doubt myself.

Lap 3

Thankfully i'm so focused on hanging on the back of the train i still do a decent lap, didnt look at the clock here. Just dont have the confidence to go any harder

Lap 4

Coming up the back straight my coach roars at me to kick but i bottled it big time, was still afraid i would struggle to the end. I wait until coming off the last bend to kick, i pass the guy who's after helping me for 3 laps(soz!), strong until the end. 2.01.63, absolutely buzzing, left wondering should i of kicked with 100 to go but who knows. Next time i do a 59/60 400 I won't let it put doubt in my mind, there's more there.

TLTR 2.01.63

Absolutely brilliant stuff. Well done. You're operating on a completely different level to any previous year.

Watched you on live stream and you looked pumped when you finished so I knew it must have been a big PB.

Reading this, I'm now even more excited for tomorrow!!

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Absolutely brilliant stuff. Well done. You're operating on a completely different level to any previous year.

Watched you on live stream and you looked pumped when you finished so I knew it must have been a big PB.

Reading this, I'm now even more excited for tomorrow!!

Thanks chivito, I didnt even know my time but I knew it would be good! Good luck dude will be watching!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Great time. Sub 2 is in reach

Advertisement