Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Peds Peddler - 400m & The Mile

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Fri - Rest
    Sat - Group were doing hills, played it safe and done 3 x 8min tempo around 7min pace
    Sun - 8m @ 7.49 yay MPW 23, i think this will creep up a few more miles but not going to push my luck
    Mon - Gym
    Tues - 3 x 10min 6.41, 6.44, 6.37 stopped 5min into last rep
    Wed - Gym + 30min threadmill
    Thurs - 800s @3min w 2.30 rest 2.55, 2.58, 2.59, 2.59, 3.00 yay, chuffed with this session, at 7am as well

Fri - Gym + Threamdmill 4m easy
    Sat - Hills, felt confident my Achilles was in good nick and got through the session with no change, it was really...really...hard. Running up the hill is fine it just takes me too long to recover. I was good bit behind everyone else but happy to get through it

MPW - 29.8 wasnt even trying to hit 30 so delighted it just kinda happened

Sun - 7.61 @ 7.46 ,bit too fast for my current fitness but got through unscathed
    Mon - Hungover rest
    Tues - 3 x 10 6.30, 6.50. 6.50 . The beer didn't help here but at least I got through it, should try for 6.40 next week
    Wed - Gym + 4m easy on threadmill HR 148
    Thurs - 800s w 2.30r. 2.59 , 2.53, 2.54, 2.55, 2.55 The group are doing 6 x 1k this evening but I couldnt bring myself to do that session on my own this morning so stuck with what i'm familiar with. Theres something very comforting knowing exactly what your splits should be throughout the session

A good week in the bag, will aim for 8m long run this sunday, try to nail the tempo, and keep the easy runs easy.

Looking back my last set of 800s in Feb were 2.51, 2.51, 2.52, 2.48, 2.47, so i've a bit to go yet

Fri - Gym + 4m easy on threadmill
    Sat - Hills - still terribly far behind everyone else on these but good session i guess, i find hills boring these days, give me track reps any day
    Sun - 10m @ 7.49 , meant to run 8 but felt good so kept going. Nice flat route and didnt look at the watch, lovely run

MPW - 35

Mon - Rest
    Tues - 4 x 7min tempo @6.25, 6.25, 6.24, 6.34
    Wed - Gym + 4m easy on Threadmill
    Thurs - 5 x 800 w2.30r 2.48, 2.48, 2.48, 2.48, 2.50

I started at a different point, running downhill to uphill and also wore lighter runners. I think the runners made a big difference. Great session, training pb i guess :)

edit:

Weight: 12.8
    Target: 12.0

Fri - Gym + 4m easy on threadmill
    Sat - Hills, way better, kept with a group until the last 2 reps
    Sun - 8.3m @8.17 Felt wrong from the get go, few niggles, HR up, decided to take it easy. Come 8 miles I could feel my pre-christmas foot pain coming so I decided to stop and walk home. I remember clearly when this happened last time I kept running and a mile later I was limping.

MPW - 33

Mon - Hungover rest
    Tues - 200's @33 , these were comfortable which was great cause knew they would be a shock to my body
    Wed - GYM + bike, started to jog but could feel foot so switched to bike and done 10k. Decided from here all easy miles and maybe the long run would be done on bike until foot feels normal
    Thurs - 800s w2.30r. 2.43, 2.46, 2.47, 2.49, 2.47 ...still improving...

Weight - 12.78
    Target - 12.0

Ate and drank loads over the weekend, don't think i'm out again until the next bank holiday so hopefully this will come down. With my mileage dropping it might be hard to shift

• Advertisement

Fri - Bike 30min + GYM
    Sat - Bike 60min (was meant to be hills but calf was a little sore form the 200s so decided to be sensible)
    Sun - LSR 11.58m @8.24 + GYM . Longer than usual just cause i bumped into friends along the way. Gym was unnecessary but was meeting a friend who wouldn't go if I didnt show up!

MPW - 20.7 + Bike, okay it looks bad but the bike is keeping my sore foot in check and is probably not too much worse than running the easy miles. When the foot feels 100% i'll switch back to running the easy miles

Mon - Rest
    Tues - 3 x 10 @ 6.25. Wasnt able for this at all, paid for Sundays silliness, 7min miles felt really hard. 9min @ 6.36 8min @ 6.51 8min @ 6.54
    Wed - Bike really easy 30min + Really light gym session
    Thurs - 5 x 800 w2.30r

2.44, 2.47, 2.46, 2.45, 2.43 I often take 3min for the last rep, sort of a mental boost!

The best thing about this was realising that Tuesday was just a blip. There's a lot to be said for knowing exactly what time you need to hit every 200m in order to nail the reps. I've entered IMC on Saturday, I think i'm in PB shape going off my 800s.

Weight - 12.65
    Target - 12.00

I train 6 days a week, have a family, a full time job and the hardest thing of it all is losing bloody weight. I can out eat 6 days training with absolute ease. It's about the only reason I would ever want to train for an ultra

Irish milers in Irish Town 800b

Did someone say pb shape lol

It seems I forgot that when I pb'd I would have had a few races, a taper, be lighter, speedwork. Was dead from the gun, disappointed but glad I have first race out of the way. I opened the indoors with 2.21 so could be worse!

There's a ddac graded on Thurs so will see if the coach wants me to run the 400 or 1500 or train

Fri - Bike Easy and some light weights
    Sat - IMC - 800m 2.12
    Sun - 5m @ 8.15 tired
    Mon - GYM
    Tues - 3 x 10min @6.57, 6.50, 7.00
    Wed - Bike + Core
    Thurs - 6m @ 8min Too tired for session

A poor week really. I think it's pretty clear that i'm struggling aerobically. Very physically tired as well. I'm going to keep the gym work light for the rest of the summer, just maintenance. Foot still a little sore in the mornings so i'll keep up the bike, could do with those easy running miles but determined to get everything in order.

Next race is Dublin Graded on Wed

Weight - 12.54
    Target - 12.00

Friday - light gym
    Sat - 800s on the track, only managed 4 and averaged 2.48, considering i managed 5 x 2.45 on the gravel track i feel like this is proof that my legs are jocked.
    Sun - 8m around 8min pace
    Mon - Rest
    Tues - went for a jog to shake out for race, went over my ankle pretty bad so had to stop before i got even a mile done.

Wed - Dublin Graded 800B 2.15

The wind was strong but this is just brutal. Thinking hard today. Either I'm right about my legs being tired or I'm just a bit delusional and unfit as fu ck. It probably wouldn't concern me as much if it wasn't for my season will likely end around mid july because im not around for the masters and there's very few races from mid July on, possibly none if you dont run seniors. No way I'm running seniors at this rate.

Thurs - 4 x 600. 1.58, 1.58, 1.58, 2.03

Weight - 12.65 sigh
    Target - 12.00

Schedule

June 6th DDAC 800m
    June 22nd AAI Games 800m
    June 30th National League 800m
    July 10th Dublin Graded 800m
    July 13th DDAC IMC 800m
    July 28th National Seniors......maybe

Will search for an early August race...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Oiriallach

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Will search for an early August race...

800m in Antrim on Sunday, 4 August, in the Team Trophy meet. It doubles up as an open meet and an Ulster inter-club league. Enter on the day for the open meet. More details here: https://athleticsni.org/download/files/Team%20Trophy%20Timetables.pdf.

Thanks Oiriallach, that's perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Did you run that 800 in Dublin after going over on your ankle the day before?

Are you planning on running any miles this year?

Did you run that 800 in Dublin after going over on your ankle the day before?

Are you planning on running any miles this year?

Yeah once I got started racing I didn't notice it, I can't blame it for being ****e, feels fine now

I'm thinking I might finish the season with the mile race in August, the Dublin graded

Fri - Bike 30min & light gym
    Sat - Hills, great session
    Sun - Bike 60min legs were feeling the burn from the hills so opted for bike
    Mon - 6 mile
    Tues - 400s , was supposed to do 8 but crashed out at 6. 75, 76, 75, 75, 80, 80. Will try for something like 77/78 next time
    Wed - Rest
    Thurs - DDAC Graded 800m

Well, I certainly can't argue with the times anymore, that's where i'm at and i can't deny it ****ing sucks. I'm just going to keep at it and hope it comes right, 2 months to go. Legs are tired, particularly around the calves, but not sure if thats just normal mid season or if i should be pulling pack. I'll get a sports massage, get back to rolling and stretching daily and make sure my HR isn't through the roof on my long run. On we go.

Weight - 12.61
    Target - 12.0 this is likely to be hit by 2022

Sat - Pyramid 6.30 fast, 7.15 slow
    Sun - 10m @ 8.03
    Mon - 30min bike easy, core work / Sports massage
    Tues - 3 x 10min, @7.00, 6.50, 6.40 this was at 7am, took a while to get warmed up by the looks of it
    Wed - Bike 30min, core work
    Thurs - 4 x 200 @32, full rest, 4 x 200 @32, full rest, 4 x 400. Great session, this is my moneymaker right here
    Fri - 4m on threadmill HR - 142

A good week

Sat 15th - 6m @8.55 nice easy run after Thurs sesh
    Sun 16th - 10m @8.39 Trying to keep that HR down, even when it feels like im jogging it's already boredline threshold, says it all really.
    Mon 17th - 4.12m easy 9.15
    Tues 18th - 200s x 8, with 100 acceleration in the middle, 29, 29, 29, 29, 31, 30,31, 30 last few should have been better but good session
    Wed - 19th - 4.56m @8.47
    Thurs - 20th - 600s, managed 5, 1.56, 1.56, 1.58, 1.57, 1.55. 2 really bad nights sleep so this was really tough. Happy to have got through, would like a lash at it rested

So i brought back the easy miles instead of bike, HR goes pretty high soon as i start running, certainly if i look back to April I can see that the easier runs were faster with lower HR. My foot has already started showing signs of giving out so will bike tomorrow and thread carefully. Will try stick to grass. Anyway a decent week, race next wed in Tallaght.

Weight - 12.45 whoop
    Target 12.00

Just look at this place! Training ground to yourself at 7am with the sun splitting, feels good man.

28990mr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Nice pic :D

Nice pic :D

sitting on your arse in a puddle of sweat seems like a good time to appreciate what you have :D

Dublin Graded Tallaght - 800m C

If I think back to all my races in Tallaght over the years I probably should have known better than to run this. Anyway it's in line with all my other sh!t races so I can't complain too much. I entered the B race last time and was last place so I entered the C race and it ended up being a time trial on my own at the front, they weren't far behind but I couldn't hear or see anyone.

At this point I'm not going to save my season so I'm thinking I will end it at the Drogheda IMC and then I can maybe try some other distances while building up mileage for XC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

If you've run 2:07 as recently as March, you can run it again. You've one month until National Seniors. Train like an absolute animal during that time and you'll get back towards that kind of time. 800m is as much mental as physical. If you go through the bell in say 65, it's easy to mentally throw in the towel knowing that you won't break the PB.

If you can lose 5-7 seconds so quickly since March, then you can get it back quickly too.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    If you've run 2:07 as recently as March, you can run it again. You've one month until National Seniors. Train like an absolute animal during that time and you'll get back towards that kind of time. 800m is as much mental as physical. If you go through the bell in say 65, it's easy to mentally throw in the towel knowing that you won't break the PB.

If you can lose 5-7 seconds so quickly since March, then you can get it back quickly too.

Thanks man appreciate the vote of confidence! That's pretty much what I've thought after my last 3 races. It just doesn't seem to be getting any better. The weird thing is I ran 2.12 in my first race, ever since it just feels like I'm flogging dead legs and going no where. I'm training as hard as my legs will allow, if anything they're likely overtired. I lost a lot aerobically when i missed a few weeks after the indoors and I think trying to claw it back is actually making things worse than if I just focused on getting 3 quality sessions in with decent rest.

I'm certain if I tried to do 5 x 800 now like i was doing a couple of months ago I wouldn't be able to hit the times, in fact id be surprised if i finished the session. Is that normal this time of year? I would have always assumed apart from the odd blip that I would get better. I guess you add races in and your legs are more tired so it could be that. I'll swap out the long run for an easy run for the last few weeks, try to have some sort of peak.

Thurs - Rest. 3 hours sleep after my race so pushed the tempo back a day. Always have a bad sleep after a late race, combine that with the heat, grim
    Fri - Tempo - 3.15m @ 6.58

weight - 12.50

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭overpronator

Dublin Graded Tallaght - 800m C

If I think back to all my races in Tallaght over the years I probably should have known better than to run this. Anyway it's in line with all my other sh!t races so I can't complain too much. I entered the B race last time and was last place so I entered the C race and it ended up being a time trial on my own at the front, they weren't far behind but I couldn't hear or see anyone.

At this point I'm not going to save my season so I'm thinking I will end it at the Drogheda IMC and then I can maybe try some other distances while building up mileage for XC

Looking forward to us being fat useless messes for CC season together.

Looking forward to us being fat useless messes for CC season together.

Yeah man, looking forward to it, grinding pints & miles :cool:

Sat - 4m Easy
    Sun - 5-6m Easy
    Mon - 6 x 200 32, 30, 30, 30, 29, 30 This was supposed to be prep for Louths on Thurs but I since decided not to race as the 800 is after 9pm
    Tues - 4m Easy
    Wed - 4m Easy
    Thurs - 10 x 400 w 90r 80, 78, 74, 76, 78, 75, 81, 80 These were mostly downhill with some closer to 2 min rest, tough to get going this morning. Really not sleeping well with this weather

Weight - 12.29 nice.
    Target - 12.00

Irish Milers next week, looking forward to racing but praying some people have entered that are similarly ****e. Finishing 50m behind 2nd last on the home ground would not be my finest moment

Sat - 4m Easy
    Sun - 5-6m Easy
    Mon - 6 x 200 32, 30, 30, 30, 29, 30 This was supposed to be prep for Louths on Thurs but I since decided not to race as the 800 is after 9pm
    Tues - 4m Easy
    Wed - 4m Easy
    Thurs - 10 x 400 w 90r 80, 78, 74, 76, 78, 75, 81, 80 These were mostly downhill with some closer to 2 min rest, tough to get going this morning. Really not sleeping well with this weather

Weight - 12.29 nice.
    Target - 12.00

Irish Milers next week, looking forward to racing but praying some people have entered that are similarly ****e. Finishing 50m behind 2nd last on the home ground would not be my finest moment

What difference does it make? Your time will be your time regardless of placing. Give me 2:10 and last place over 2:14 and fourth last any day of the week.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    What difference does it make? Your time will be your time regardless of placing. Give me 2:10 and last place over 2:14 and fourth last any day of the week.

Ah I would take that of course. Would just like to run well in front of my friends etc.

Ah I would take that of course. Would just like to run well in front of my friends etc.

Running well is within your control (the time you run). Placing is determined by things outside your control (who shows up).

Exactly 3 weeks ago 4 miles easy 38min HR 147, today same run, 4m 33min hr 146, i'm gonna go out on a limb here and say i've turned some sort of corner, don't feel as knackered, easy runs actually feel easy.

2 races this week, hopefully I don't regret saying this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Exactly 3 weeks ago 4 miles easy 38min HR 147, today same run, 4m 33min hr 146, i'm gonna go out on a limb here and say i've turned some sort of corner, don't feel as knackered, easy runs actually feel easy.

2 races this week, hopefully I don't regret saying this

I've had a similar season to what you've described a few posts ago - slowest times in years in the 8.

I was originally hoping to finish up this week with 8s at the Graded on Weds and then Drogheda but achilles is acting up so I'm definitely not racing Wednesday. Hopefully, get to do one final race on in Drogheda on Saturday but I may just have to start posting in the xc thread from july. Good luck on Wednesday.

Advertisement