Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gender fluid?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The sexuality of trans people seems to be an undefined variable.

Huh?

Trans people can be straight, gay or bi just like cis people

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

What is non-binary is this a kind of non-computer code or what?

Non binary gender identity

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Fukuyama wrote: »
    Was there not going to be a referendum to put it in the constitution? I mean the next government could overturn legislation. Maybe I heard wrong but I really though it was queued up to go to referendum.

No

Basically the gender recocgnition act originally required that a person who went through the legal process of legally transitioning to their preferred gender would be single (supposedly there were constitutional difficulties). This meant that effectively people who came out as trans after they got married would be locked out of the process unless they got divorced.

Because the marriage equality referendum passed this requirement to be single is not part of the legislation any longer.

So no we thankfully do not have a planned referendum on gender recognition.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Huh?

Trans people can be straight, gay or bi just like cis people

I really don't get this cis word, or rather the need for it. Never have heard it used in real life and I certainly wouldn't use it to describe myself nor would anyone I know use it, let alone have heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Omackeral wrote: »
    I really don't get this cis word, or rather the need for it. Never have heard it used in real life and I certainly wouldn't use it to describe myself nor would anyone I know use it, let alone have heard of it.
    I think the idea behind the 'need' for it is that it doesn't carry the connotations that 'normal' does, or the implications that being the opposite of 'normal' does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Omackeral wrote: »

Its an online word. Not used in real life. It keep the PC mob happy as it protects the delicate non straight lot happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Paulownia

It would be more fun if some presenters came out as naturists and went on naked!
    Will Irish dress designers be lining up to dress him? Could this open up a whole new market? TV on T V

• Registered Users Posts: 8,005 ✭✭✭Hitchens

THERE HAS BEEN an outpouring of support for RTÉ presenter Jonathan Clynch after it was revealed he identifies as gender fluid.

Clynch, a long-time radio presenter at RTÉ, will now be referred to on air as “Jonathan Rachel Clynch”.

The story was reported in yesterday’s Irish Star, with sources telling the paper that the broadcaster was “supportive” of the decision.

Clynch was due to appear on the Marian Finucane show yesterday, but the presenter said that he had decided against it, saying he would not let “any newspaper dictate when he would or he wouldn’t talk about himself”.

“He was to come in and talk to us here today about the whole thing and to explain it and how his life and that will be changed for the better for him now, but he only found out yesterday that this would be in the papers today.”

RTÉ says it is supportive of Clynch, calling him a “valued member of staff and a highly-respected journalist”.

Clynch’s decision has drawn praise.

According to the Star story, Clynch sometimes identifies as a man and as a woman at other times.

From the Journal.ie

It seems that his story may have leaked

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭terryduff12

This should end all the gender shortage quota for the government parties. Put it out to the members of the parties that they would be more than welcome to come as they feel whatever it maybe. Noonan ankles might be too big for six inch heels tho

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

What is the pronoun for someone who is simultaneously both genders?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭fartingforfun

Lyaiera wrote: »
    What blind bit of difference does it make to you? How does anything like that have any effect on you whatsoever. A guy is wearing a dress? So ****ing what? Two men are kissing? So ****ing what?

More PC double standards, why should you care that most straight people think this type of stuff is weird?
    The vast majority of straight people have there stomach turn when they see two men kiss, nasty stuff, but you know what we just look away and let them get on with it.
    The PC crowd demand that straight people see this as normal, it is to them, and i wish them well, but it will never be seen as normal to straight people, it will alway be weird.
    So go live your life and be happy, but don't tell the rest of use we are in the wrong just because we don't dabble in homosexual relationships.
    Online you get to read what people really think, in real life we put on a good front so not to upset people, but i guarantee straight people are speaking with a forked tongue with regards this issue, they tell you what you want to hear to your face so as not to offend, but when you are not there that say the opposite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

This should end all the gender shortage quota for the government parties. Put it out to the members of the parties that they would be more than welcome to come as they feel whatever it maybe. Noonan ankles might be too big for six inch heels tho

It was always a very narrow minded and offensive policy - where were the quotas for attack helicopters and voltage fluid table lamps?

Mad?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

More PC double standards, why should you care that most straight people think this type of stuff is weird?
    The vast majority of straight people have there stomach turn when they see two men kiss, nasty stuff, but you know what we just look away and let them get on with it.
    The PC crowd demand that straight people see this as normal, it is to them, and i wish them well, but it will never be seen as normal to straight people, it will alway be weird.
    So go live your life and be happy, but don't tell the rest of use we are in the wrong just because we don't dabble in homosexual relationships.
    Online you get to read what people really think, in real life we put on a good front so not to upset people, but i guarantee straight people are speaking with a forked tongue with regards this issue, they tell you what you want to hear to your face so as not to offend, but when you are not there that say the opposite.

As a straight person, I'd prefer if you didn't claim to speak for most straight people, as your prejudiced views don't correspond with my own.
    My stomach doesn't turn when I see two men kissing, and I don't think it's weird when men wear women's clothes (do you also have a problem with women kissing women, and women wearing men's clothes?)
    Both have been happening for as long as people and clothes have been around.

I can somewhat understand a straight person being repulsed in a purely physical way by same-sex sexual acts, as they don't conform to their own sexual desires, though I can't imagine why someone's stomach would turn.

But men wearing women's clothes?
    I really can't understand why someone would get so annoyed by this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I think if you're that way inclined, you're either "identifying":rolleyes: as one or the other at any given time.

I don't think you can be both at the same time.

If you get it wrong you'll know. Viral within an hour.

"They," I'd imagine, or "he" or "she" if that particular person has a preference and has made you aware of it.

All the good work do by the PC is now been undone with their fanatical actions.
    Gender equality, well thats on the way out, supposed to have 50% of staff as women, bet now they are all male but the employer can claim 50% identify as female.
    The PC loons will have to bite their lip as this is what they wanted.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I think if you're that way inclined, you're either "identifying":rolleyes: as one or the other at any given time.

I don't think you can be both at the same time.

Isn't that what fluid means? Somewhere on an analog scale between the standard extremes?
    Or is it like flipping a coin, it's one or the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Suggest "SG" for Schroedinger's Gender, pronounced "Sig". :D

• Advertisement

All the good work do by the PC is now been undone with their fanatical actions.
    Gender equality, well thats on the way out, supposed to have 50% of staff as women, bet now they are all male but the employer can claim 50% identify as female.
    The PC loons will have to bite their lip as this is what they wanted.

What a conundrum, what if everyone decides to be male on a monday- will the boss have to send half home and get an agency to source female identifying staff for the day?

Will you have to indicate today's choice with a button on the way into work? Or would it be a dial or a sliding scale? Is that not very restrictive, making people commit to one gender for the whole day, would you have do it again after lunch? Or on the hour?

Tricky business getting these quotas right!!

What a conundrum, what if everyone decides to be male on a monday- will the boss have to send half home and get an agency to source female identifying staff for the day?

Will you have to indicate today's choice with a button on the way into work? Or would it be a dial or a sliding scale? Is that not very restrictive, making people commit to one gender for the whole day, would you have do it again after lunch? Or on the hour?

Well realistically, workplaces wouldn't be expected to accommodate so many of their employees on such short notice, as they wouldn't have the time to consider what changes would be necessary, and to then put those in place.

It's just as well then, that the few people who make decisions like this, do so seriously and take their time, and don't just decide to change their gender on a whim for the amusement of unfunny lunkheads on the internet.

jimgoose wrote: »
    Suggest "SG" for Schroedinger's Gender, pronounced "Sig". :D

Heisenberg uncertainty, quantum genders. My gender is multiverse, stop looking at my wormhole.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

It's just as well then, that the few people who make decisions like this, do so seriously and take their time, and don't just decide to change their gender on a whim for the amusement of unfunny lunkheads on the internet.

http://genderqueeries.tumblr.com/identities

seriously?

All quotas can be easily met now thanks to the PC zealots, you can claim to be any gender or race you want at any time, you can change depending on the weather.
    It has become a joke, the desire they have to not offend anyone will ultimately be the downfall of the PC world view.
    A lot of good things regarding equality have happen in the last few decades, but now these equality laws can be circumvented by claiming to be something you are not, and because we have to be PC there is nothing that can be done about it. Well not at the moment, but you can sense the backlash is building.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Isn't that what fluid means? Somewhere on an analog scale between the standard extremes?
    Or is it like flipping a coin, it's one or the other?

Yeah, I believe so.

Although to be honest, I had never heard of the term up until yesterday.

On a purely practical level, it's difficult for me to see how he/she can remain credible as a political broadcast journalist.

Are interviewees obliged to address him by his female name when he's clearly a guy in women's clothes?

What if they don't?

Does he correct them mid-interview?

Does he outline his "gender" at the beginning of every broadcast?
    What if he decides to change clothes between news broadcasts?

These shenanigans have no place whatsoever in serious political journalism and should really be confined to the privacy of his non-professional life in my opinion.

strelok wrote: »

I don't see any evidence of people changing gender on a whim there.
    All quotas can be easily met now thanks to the PC zealots, you can claim to be any gender or race you want at any time, you can change depending on the weather.
    It has become a joke, the desire they have to not offend anyone will ultimately be the downfall of the PC world view.
    A lot of good things regarding equality have happen in the last few decades, but now these equality laws can be circumvented by claiming to be something you are not, and because we have to be PC there is nothing that can be done about it. Well not at the moment, but you can sense the backlash is building.

I'm off now to marry my wardrobe, and have a gay affair with Thursday afternoon!! Sure anything goes now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Its an online word. Not used in real life. It keep the PC mob happy as it protects the delicate non straight lot happy.

Non straight lot? What does your gender identity have to do with your sexual orientation?

Well realistically, workplaces wouldn't be expected to accommodate so many of their employees on such short notice, as they wouldn't have the time to consider what changes would be necessary, and to then put those in place.

What would be the mtbg, mean time between genderdecisions? And the standard deviation, if I can use typical mathematical phrases without offending anyone?

I mean, to be fair - if it is acceptable to transition without being confined to one or the other, who are you to put a time restriction on it or force people to okay it with their employers first? Risky territory that.

• Advertisement

Careful now.
    I believe it is still a banning offence to mention being trans race on the same day as mentioning trans anything else.

A woman who wants to be a woman with different cultural heritage is taboo on boards and to link it in any way with ex olympians is VERBOTEN.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement