Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gender fluid?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Boring username

It appears that Tumblr style identity politics is slowly bleeding into the mainstream. You'd be a fool to downplay it.

It is being forced into the popular mainstream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

As a matter of interest why did this have to be announced to the public?

It's nobody elses business and he's not a very famous individual that people actually give a toss about.

Seems like a lot of it could be attention seeking and looking to build himself a profile rather than a real need to announce this to the public.Can people not keep their private lives private anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

Why are people getting so worked up and angry over this? Why do you care so much what he identifies as. It has no affect on your life and he certainly isn't hurting anyone one. The same can't be said about some of the commenter's here.

It's one thing if you don't understand it. I don't really understand it. As a general rule though, I try not to form opinions on things I don't understand. I might end up looking ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Why are people getting so worked up and angry over this? Why do you care so much what he identifies as. It has no affect on your life and he certainly isn't hurting anyone one. The same can't be said about some of the commenter's here.

It's one thing if you don't understand it. I don't really understand it. As a general rule though, I try not to form opinions on things I don't understand. I might end up looking ignorant.
    You're playing it pretty fast and loose with the auld "h" word there

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Martial9

As a matter of interest why did this have to be announced to the public?

It's nobody elses business and he's not a very famous individual that people actually give a toss about.

Seems like a lot of it could be attention seeking and looking to build himself a profile rather than a real need to announce this to the public.Can people not keep their private lives private anymore.

They will be on one of the chatshows with Miriam or Ryan talking about their 'experience' and how grateful they are for all the public support they have received etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

The public have a right to question an absurd new double gender identity that seems to have been dreamed up on tumblr. Did this concept of gender fluid even exist 24 hours ago? Naturally the public are curious, and skeptical, and people pushing the idea should be prepared to defend their view robustly.
    Asking for a free pass just isn't going to cut it.

And as we both know, there are plenty of people who are looking to shut down genuine debate by claiming offence. So that's worth bearing in mind too. It's a very effective tool, and is something that needs to be challenged and confronted at every turn. It's essentially a fascist tool, ironically used by the left.

Boards is quick to ban what it terms abuse, and most websites now have a report button. As for children being bullied on the internet, there are safeguards like netnanny that can be used to reduce (but not eliminate) online abuse. Or we could just hand over regulation to Fidelma Doofus Eames when it comes to cyberbullying.... :eek:

Anyway, everyone gets abuse on the internet. Everyone. Including me and you. I've lost count of the amount of times I've been racially abused and called a drunken Paddy. It goes with the territory unfortunately.

Just like real life-if you've ever played a team sport you'll get abuse. Just suck it up and see it for what it is-an attempt to troll you. Some people are good are letting it wash over, others are very sensitive. Them's the breaks, and what cannot be cured must be endured.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Who are you to tell people what the can and can't identify with? You're trying to move the goalposts now. Either we let people identify with whatever we want, or we stick with the natural traits of male or female. It's people like you who have opened pandoras box here and encouraged gender and identity fluidity, so no complaining now that it's going outside your expected paradigms.

Hey-that's OFFENSIVE. ™ Please report for your mandatory diversity and tolerance training.

Anyway, nobody has suggested otherwise. The world will keep spinning, the trains will keep rolling. It's just that the public are rightfully calling out a daft concept, and no amount of shouting and comically crying 'hate speech light' is going to stop that.

It's interesting that the media reported this as widespread support, considering they could only find 5 randomers on twitter who expressed their positivity. A quick glance at the comments section reveals the truth-bewilderment, amusement, and confusion.

http://www.thejournal.ie/jonathan-clynch-gender-fluid-2328089-Sep2015/

http://www.independent.ie/life/its-time-to-live-and-let-live-in-this-brave-new-world-of-ours-31522538.html

Look, it's nice that someone has decided that they are both sexes simultaneously, and if that makes them feel good then off they pop. Just don't expect us all to swallow this narrative without question. I get the impression that some of our more progressive minds are willing to champion any cause, no matter how absurd or batsh1t crazy, just so they can stick it to the traditional conservative Irish public. There's a troubling fanaticism at the root of this.

As Links1234 exclaimed earlier, their first inclination was to shout 'one of us! One of us!' It's this clannish mentality that needs to be examined-one of what, exactly? It seems the LGBT community are willing to accept anything that isn't perceived as normal, no matter how ridiculous or tedious the claim, just so they can claim brownie points on the social media tolerance championship table. Next week, it'll be some new fad.

As someone has already noted, Rachel Dolezal is a white woman who self identified as black, and was rightfully ridiculed for it. It's only fair that we should be allowed to challenged the RTE person (see, now I don't even know what term to use) on their seemingly made up beliefs.

Serious question-if I decide over the coming weeks that I self identify as a paraplegic, should I be entitled to legally change my status and claim a free travel allowance and disability? I broke both my legs before, so I have a historical and cultural claim to be accepted as part of the community. Before you answer my question, I'll ask you to check you privilege as an able bodied non minority

It did exist though. Is something "seemingly made up" solely because you havnt heard of it before? I don't see a problem with questioning in a tactful manner, that's how people learn to understand each other. You speak about people shutting down debate. Who is shutting down any real debate? People are "crying offence" at comments you know perfectly well are intended to be satirical, which are fully intended to derail any serious discussion.

As for your comments on the LGBT community, you may be surprised to learn that people that may come under the LGBT category are not some form of hive mind. For all you know anyone posting here could be LGBT and posting negative comments about this person. I've heard transphobic comments made my straight and gay people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Gender Fluid may not be very understandable. I think mostly for the person who identifies as this.

It's obviously not as cut and dried as feeling you want to change from your birth gender - which must be a difficult journey to undertake both mentally and physically.

It's not as simple as dressing up in an opposite genders clothes and enjoying doing so.

It's nothing to do with changing ones appearance temporarily.

As a female I have never felt the 'norms' of my gender, I'm not girlie, never played with dolls, don't breakdown in tears in a hormone induced fugue. (Not that women really do!)
    Admittedly I probably was a tomboy as a child, and all through my life I have found the company of men as friends easier. I have more in common with them. But I am female. I don't wish to be any other way.

And the truth of the matter is how do I know if I'm not a little bit male really? I don't know how anyone actually could significantly be 50% both genders. They are just who they are - like me.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

You're playing it pretty fast and loose with the auld "h" word there

I was expecting a comment like this. Like I said I don't pretend to fully understand. But seen as he doesn't Identify fully as male or female and I have to use some kind of pronoun, I thought "he" was still appropriate given I was talking about Jonathan who is *intending* to dress as a women. If it was from Rachel's point of view, then I would have used "she". I'm always open to correction though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

So basically this guy wants to cross dress on rte whenever he wants depending on his mood.

Personally I think it ridiculous but each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

"Genderfluidity" seems to trivialize/undermine gender dysphoria as a legitimate phenomenon. So what, you don't identify with the gender you were assigned at birth, but only on certain days? And how is this is distinguishable from the non-conformity to traditional gender roles that most ordinary people experience?

• Advertisement

Pretzill wrote: »
    As a female I have never felt the 'norms' of my gender, I'm not girlie, never played with dolls, don't breakdown in tears in a hormone induced fugue. (Not that women really do!)
    Admittedly I probably was a tomboy as a child, and all through my life I have found the company of men as friends easier. I have more in common with them. But I am female. I don't wish to be any other way.

And the truth of the matter is how do I know if I'm not a little bit male really? I don't know how anyone actually could significantly be 50% both genders. They are just who they are - like me.

You're not male just because you don't conform to traditional stereotypes of what females are like. Being female is simply to have female biology. Not being emotional and liking pink.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

folamh wrote: »
    You're not male just because you don't conform to traditional stereotypes of what females are like. Being female is simply to have female biology. Not being emotional and liking pink.

*twirls pigtails*

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Waestrel

As a libertarian minded man, I have to be ok with Jonathan Rachel pursuing his own happiness, he is within his rights to do so. AS long as this doesnt become another circus where tax payers money is used to fund interest groups aligned with his lifestyle or "Trans quotas" for jobs excluding otherwise competent people from those jobs.

Given that he works for RTE , a government sink-hole for other peoples money, its doubtful that he/she wont be used to advance some group's interests, on the tax payers dime.

Anyone want to lay odds on taxpayers money being used to promote "trans awareness " or similar, of course with a nice wage for Jonathan rachel somewhere involved?

I could say exactly.
    But I know having female or male biology doesn't necessarily mean some people feel they are either/neither. Ask transgendered females who still have male biology how they feel, it's all outside the realm of stereotypes. The point I was trying to make is I don't predominately feel female, either, but I am female.

Pretzill wrote: »
    I could say exactly.
    But I know having female or male biology doesn't necessarily mean some people feel they are either/neither. Ask transgendered females who still have male biology how they feel, it's all outside the realm of stereotypes. The point I was trying to make is I don't predominately feel female, either, but I am female.

Female isn't a feeling. It's a biological reality. Transgendered "females" aren't female, they're male.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭deni20000

Bit strange that he can't make up his mind. I suppose he'll still have to use the men's bathroom although some US universities now have gender neutral toilets but the trannies complained about that and demanded to use the female toilets when they're dressed as women. Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing him do a news report in drag - should be funnier than RTE's comedy shows anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

What I don't understand:

1) Why is there no mention of this on the RTE website? Only sources seem to be the Irish Daily Star and Indo. (Both Independent News and Media pubs I believe)

2) Why on earth would anybody want to identify themselves with an epithet as horrendous as "Gender Fluid"? Seriously. Sounds like something you don't want to get on your clothes.

3) Why has nobody posted this vid yet? I know it's 35 years old but it still says just about everything there is to say on the subject and is still achingly funny. Maybe the People's Front of Judea knew more about this topic than we do today. :)

Female isn't a feeling. It's a biological reality. Transgendered "females" aren't female, they're male.

Okay. But I would say the opposite because is it not something in someones biological make up that wholeheartedly makes them believe they are female when they still have male/female hormones, glands etc. Regardless of the semantics of the word feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Waestrel

Kinda contrary to my previous post, but I am also open to the idea that transgender may not be a thing

http://www.wsj.com/articles/paul-mchugh-transgender-surgery-isnt-the-solution-1402615120

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭deni20000

Martial9 wrote: »
    They will be on one of the chatshows with Miriam or Ryan talking about their 'experience' and how grateful they are for all the public support they have received etc.

He was supposed to make the big announcement on the Marian Finnucane show this morning (Sunday) but threw a hissy fit and pulled out because the Daily Star broke the story.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

If he turns up for work in a dress and high heels would it not be very hard to take him seriously.

It's not exactly professional if that is what he intends to do.

I've a feeling if I turned up for work tomorrow dressed as a woman I;d be in front of HR fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

If he turns up for work in a dress and high heels would it not be very hard to take him seriously.

I've a feeling if I turned up for work tomorrow dressed as a woman I;d be in front of HR fairly quickly.

If you call it ridiculous, you're a bigot or an a**hole or whatever and are barked at with the line ''How does it affect you?''. It might not affect you but how does that strip you of your right to offer a viewpoint? How does anything on boards affect you really, it's just a site where people give opinions. You saying that something, in your opinion, is silly or daft is just that, an opinion, and in my book that's fine. Live and let live for sure, but people are entitled to think what they want without being shamed into silence. You may have a view on something so you come on here to give it. People are becoming afraid to speak their mind nowadays andwalk on eggshells for fear of using a word or term which may offend someone...or worse, offend someone on someone else's behalf.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

deni20000 wrote: »
    He was supposed to make the big announcement on the Marian Finnucane show this morning (Sunday) but threw a hissy fit and pulled out because the Daily Star broke the story.

Maybe he is a woman after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Why should it though?

If you are competent in your job, what does it matter?

Why should it though?

If you are competent in your job, what does it matter?

If Michael D Higgins turned up to meet President Obama and Michelle at the White House in a strapless dress and frilly tutu, would you find that grand? You gonna be honest or are you gonna play the ''sure what difference does it make'' line?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Omackeral wrote: »
    If Michael D Higgins turned up to meet President Obama and Michelle at the White House in a strapless dress and frilly tutu, would you find that grand? You gonna be honest or are you gonna play the ''sure what difference does it make'' line?

I'm sure Micheal D would have a much better dress sense than that. Tutu and strapless dress? Come on.

And there are trans politicians, so I presume they've met some dignitaries.

I imagine arm wrestling Putin would be hard with a bra strap slipping down. Because that's how politics work, arm wrestling and gooly taps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Omackeral wrote: »

Sure, what difference does it make?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭fartingforfun

I think with this Genderfluidity nonsense we are either at peak PC or close to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Waestrel wrote: »
    Kinda contrary to my previous post, but I am also open to the idea that transgender may not be a thing

Pure bull**** peddling from the notorious Paul McHugh, a conservative Catholic bigot who's covered up for pedophiles in the past and has a seriously anti-lgbt agenda, he's as shady as it gets. I'm just going to link to a previous post I made about the guy here.

Odd how a few people on AH seem to be willing to look past all the scientific concensus on the subject, but cherry pick an opinion piece from some radical catholic kook.

• Advertisement

Sure, what difference does it make?

Try going to job a interview for the Fire Brigade or as a school teacher like that and I bet it would make plenty of difference to your employment opportunities.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement