Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gender fluid?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Omackeral wrote: »
    Try going to job a interview for the Fire Brigade or as a school teacher like that and I bet it would make plenty of difference to your employment opportunities.

Yes. It would.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭flunkyfearsome

Links unfortunately the posters who are quite dismissive of gender fluidity need extensive educating, they seem to keep pushing the look how Michael D would be looked at scenario, I myself would be considered gender fluid it's easier for me to dress in men's clothes no one bats an eye lid it's a complete double standard, bravo to all the guys who are gender fluid, it's unbelievably in this day and age we still have knuckle draggers.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Lyaiera wrote: »
    I'm sure Micheal D would have a much better dress sense than that. Tutu and strapless dress? Come on.

And there are trans politicians, so I presume they've met some dignitaries.

I imagine arm wrestling Putin would be hard with a bra strap slipping down. Because that's how politics work, arm wrestling and gooly taps.

I'm not arguing about trans people in political positions whatsoever. I've no issues with trans people at all. The poster above was saying it wouldn't be weird to see Mickey D in a dress at a Presidential function and I was trying to call his/her bluff. If they honestly believe it wouldn't be odd, then I've no words! A closed mind is an unfortunate and ignorant thing in my opinion but so is one that just wants to be onside for absolutely everything just to show how tolerant they are. If I had a kid in first class and he or she came home and told me that the teacher Mr Tormey wore a dress and heels today I'd find it very odd.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭fartingforfun

Links234 wrote: »

Odd how a few people on AH seem to be willing to look past all the scientific concensus on the subject, but cherry pick an opinion piece from some radical catholic kook.
    There is no conclusive evidence that sex change operations improve the lives of transsexuals, with many people remaining severely distressed and even suicidal after the operation, according to a medical review conducted exclusively for Guardian Weekend tomorrow.
    http://www.theguardian.com/society/2004/jul/30/health.mentalhealth
    The Guardian, you don't get any more PC than it.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭flunkyfearsome

Omackeral wrote:
    Try going to job a interview for the Fire Brigade or as a school teacher like that and I bet it would make plenty of difference to your employment opportunities.

If your gay in this country unfortunately you can get fired since 95% of schools are run with Catholic ethos and there's that blasted rule.

• Advertisement

I'm not arguing about trans people in political positions whatsoever. I've no issues with trans people at all. The poster above was saying it wouldn't be weird to see Mickey D in a dress at a Presidential function and I was trying to call his/her bluff. If they honestly believe it wouldn't be odd, then I've no words! A closed mind is an unfortunate and ignorant thing in my opinion but so is one that just wants to be onside for absolutely everything just to show how tolerant they are. If I had a kid in first class and he or she came home and told me that the teacher Mr Tormey wore a dress and heels today I'd find it very odd.

That's why this person arranged the interview. I'm sure if you're friend said, "Let's hop in my private jet and fly to Paris" it'd be a weird experience if you didn't know they were a Euromillions winner. That's why people come out as trans.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Whatever your feelings may be on this phenomenon it definitely needs a name change. Everytime I read "Gender Fluid" I think "semen".

There is no conclusive evidence that sex change operations improve the lives of transsexuals, with many people remaining severely distressed and even suicidal after the operation, according to a medical review conducted exclusively for Guardian Weekend tomorrow.

The people who wrote the original scientific reports The Guardian referred to said that the author deliberately misinterpreted their writing, and ignored all their evidence. That Guardian article has been widely discredited. And The Guardian is noted for being anti-trans.

The people who wrote the original scientific reports The Guardian referred to said that the author deliberately misinterpreted their writing, and ignored all their evidence. That Guardian article has been widely discredited. And The Guardian is noted for being anti-trans.

Show One example of the Guardian being anti trans, they are so PC it hurts.

If your gay in this country unfortunately you can get fired since 95% of schools are run with Catholic ethos and there's that blasted rule.

Well that's fcuking disgusting if true. Although shouldn't the Grounds of Discrimination cover that? Can hardly be legal in 2015?!

• Advertisement

Show One example of the Guardian being anti trans, they are so PC it hurts.

Julie Bindel has done it repeatedly.

It's plainly obvious you have no clue what you're talking about. The Guardian is widely known as being anti-trans, or at best clickbaity, with them giving opinion pieces to second wave feminists who are anti-trans then getting a rebuttal only to bury it on the website.

The whole of the sex-change issues article was based on a guy who pressured trans women into having sex with him, and his studies. That trans people stopped responding to a study, which is perfectly normal within any type of lifespan cohort study and something many sciences deal with. And saying "But they still commit suicide" without ever looking at the reasons for that. A lot of trans people have a hard life, of course things aren't going to be perfect due to one surgery, but it'd be like refusing to get chemotherapy because people still die of cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Well that's fcuking disgusting if true. Although shouldn't the Grounds of Discrimination cover that? Can hardly be legal in 2015?!

It's not true, you might not be hired if you're very openly gay which is absolutely wrong but you won't be fired for being gay. You would have recourse to unfair dismissal laws if you were.

That's why this person arranged the interview. I'm sure if you're friend said, "Let's hop in my private jet and fly to Paris" it'd be a weird experience if you didn't know they were a Euromillions winner. That's why people come out as trans.

You'd be surprised, sure it happened my Gran last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Aren't some hardline feminists anti trans? Due to objecting to the female gender being claimed by someone who's biologically a man?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

And that bullplop article has been debunked time and time again, it was a review of previous studies that used skewed criteria to achieve the result they wanted. I posted about that before here. It was pure agenda driven bunk back when it was published years ago, and it's still bunk now. The fact that it's a study commisioned by a tabloid rag doesn't give it any more credence, especially not a rag like the Guardian.

The actual science is pretty clear on the subject, there's a wealth of studies showing the positive outcomes for transgender people. For example, a study from last year: Transsexual patients' psychiatric comorbidity and positive effect of cross-sex hormonal treatment on mental health: results from a longitudinal study.
    Psychiatric distress and functional impairment were present in a significantly higher percentage of patients before starting the hormonal treatment than after 12 months (50% vs. 17% for anxiety; 42% vs. 23% for depression; 24% vs. 11% for psychological symptoms; 23% vs. 10% for functional impairment). The results revealed that the majority of transsexual patients have no psychiatric comorbidity, suggesting that transsexualism is not necessarily associated with severe comorbid psychiatric findings.

There's a wealth of information out there, but you know, if you'd rather get your info from agenda pushing catholic gas bags and tabloid rags, fair enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

what science is there to support the idea of gender fluid being a real thing?

i've asked like nine times so far and been ignored every time

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭deni20000

Links unfortunately the posters who are quite dismissive of gender fluidity need extensive educating, they seem to keep pushing the look how Michael D would be looked at scenario, I myself would be considered gender fluid it's easier for me to dress in men's clothes no one bats an eye lid it's a complete double standard, bravo to all the guys who are gender fluid, it's unbelievably in this day and age we still have knuckle draggers.

I was thinking of becoming gender fluid myself. There's some really hot looking girls in my local gym and if I was gender fluid I could use their changing room and see them naked. If anyone objected, I'd threaten to report them for violating my LGBTGF rights. I'll let you know if it works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭The_Mac

strelok wrote: »

That'd be like asking if people truly being a cat-kin is a real thing.

It's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Whatever your feelings may be on this phenomenon it definitely needs a name change. Everytime I read "Gender Fluid" I think "semen".

I honestly have no idea where the 'gender fluid' term came from, but the phenomenon itself isn't a particularly new one, I can remember decades ago when 'gender bender' was a common derogatory term for homosexual people, it's been widened out and politicised since though, but it's as close a term I could think of to describe a person who identifies as both genders simultaneously or intermittently, alternating between genders and gender identities.

It's not actually that difficult a concept to grasp, but some of the terminology I agree is quite frankly ridiculous and loaded with all sorts of ideological nonsense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

I honestly have no idea where the 'gender fluid' term came from, but the phenomenon itself isn't a particularly new one, I can remember decades ago when 'gender bender' was a common derogatory term for homosexual people, it's been widened out and politicised since though, but it's as close a term I could think of to describe a person who identifies as both genders simultaneously or intermittently, alternating between genders and gender identities.

It's not actually that difficult a concept to grasp, but some of the terminology I agree is quite frankly ridiculous and loaded with all sorts of ideological nonsense.

you can't just be a man that wants to wear a dress, you have to have a label to hide behind. without the label you're nothing.

• Advertisement

deni20000 wrote: »
    I was thinking of becoming gender fluid myself. There's some really hot looking girls in my local gym and if I was gender fluid I could use their changing room and see them naked. If anyone objected, I'd threaten to report them for violating my LGBTGF rights. I'll let you know if it works out.

That's really creepy.

It's like all those male American politicians who say, "I'll walk into a woman's changing room and stare at them because of this law." And not realising that's a reflection on their pervertedness as creepy men and not anyone who's trans or gender fluid.

If you're first thought is to exploit something so you can gawk at people in their undercrackers you need to take a long look at yourself. And stay away from people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Not much I'm guessing.

Attention seeking on the other hand probably has lots of science behind it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

You know, I've no idea about gender fluid, this is not something I've any experience of or do I know of anyone who says they're gender fluid either, I am honestly freakin' clueless about it. But you know what my attitude to the whole thing is? C'est la vie! It doesn't effect me, so I'm not going to be an asshole about it. Gonna get on with my life, because it's not something that's going to effect me.

That's really creepy.

It's like all those male American politicians who say, "I'll walk into a woman's changing room and stare at them because of this law." And not realising that's a reflection on their pervertedness as creepy men and not anyone who's trans or gender fluid.

If you're first thought is to exploit something so you can gawk at people in their undercrackers you need to take a long look at yourself. And stay away from people.

This "guy" seems to be exploiting his fluidity to get some attention. Who knew of him before this and who gives a fuc$ what he wants to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Not much I'm guessing.

Attention seeking on the other hand probably has lots of science behind it.

Must be easier ways of getting attention? Are you seriously suggesting he would do all this for attention?

The amount of abuse he's getting on here for example.

Must be easier ways of getting attention? Are you seriously suggesting he would do all this for attention?

The amount of abuse he's getting on here for example.

Honestly yes I do. He will now be a poster boy for the LGBT community, will be on various radio/tv stations and a well know face.
    People have done far more for far less attention.

It is PC gone mad, all the straight men who post here and claim there is no difference between a transgender woman and a real woman, answer one simple question, Would you marry a transgender woman who used to be a man?
    Of course you wouldn’t. You know it but its not PC to say so, you know the difference between a woman, and a deranged castrated man.
    I know its true, you know its true, everyone knows its true, but those who are PC won’t say what everyone is thinking.
    For the record i wish all these Trans people nothing but happiness but don’t tell me i have to lie and say i think that they are normal women.

Mod: Banned

Honestly yes I do. He will now be a poster boy for the LGBT community, will be on various radio/tv stations and a well know face.
    People have done far more for far less attention.

Not that I agree with you or anything, because I can imagine the abuse he will get now after all this, but if he does become a poster boy, what's the big deal? Why would this bother you?

Not that I agree with you or anything, because I can imagine the abuse he will get now after all this, but if he does become a poster boy, what's the big deal? Why would this bother you?

It doesn't bother me at all one bit, he can pretend he's elvis for all I care.
    I just don't see the need for it to be broadcast, it's a non story. Man thinks he's a woman sometimes! Big deal

• Advertisement

It doesn't bother me at all one bit, he can pretend he's elvis for all I care.
    I just don't see the need for it to be broadcast, it's a non story. Man thinks he's a woman sometimes! Big deal

It does seem to bother you. Odd.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement