Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gender fluid?

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

the way i pick her quote up is that you cannot choose and slip between the two, you are either one or the other. As i said Frank Warren chose to be a woman as he felt he was born a woman in a mans body, i can only guess the pain the man went through all his life, especially in regards to the sport he was involved in. but the difference is, he made his choice and stuck to it, this bollox of well today I am a woman and I am going to wear a dress and probably tomorrow I will dress as a man sounds to me like someone is a bit mentally fcuked up.
    That's just my opinion but I am not a psychiatrist.

Her name is Kelly Maloney

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

eviltwin wrote: »
    Her name is Kelly Maloney

That sounds pretty narky I'm sure no offense was intended by Royal, no need for it :P

stephenl15 wrote: »
    That sounds pretty narky I'm sure no offense was intended by Royal, no need for it :P

No narkiness, just giving him the correct name of the lady in question. Frank Warren is a completely different person.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭deni20000

So your argument is that the only thing preventing you from sexually harassing women is your gender? I think you have bigger problems than gender fluidity.

Like I already said -
    It was a joke just to wind up politically correct people with no sense of humour - like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

No narkiness, just giving him the correct name of the lady in question. Frank Warren is a completely different person.

Oops my bad :P Apologies :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

Links234 wrote: »
    No, I don't think she missed the point at all, that was a pretty deliberate personal attack directed at me, not in reference to story in the OP

Gender appropriation is an attack on (and the invisiblisation of) the material reality of being female.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

I think where confusion comes in here, is that people are using the words "man" and "woman"... or "male" and "female".

As far as I know, there has never been a man/male that has become woman/female, or vise-versa... it's biologically impossible.

You can only transition into a transgendered male or female. Or you can cross dress as a member of the opposite sex. But both are just cosmetic alterations. Your original gender remains the one you were born with.

To remove such confusion, we should keep separate terms for these individuals. This would remove much of the confusion and arguments.

It's very simple, a "trans-woman" is a separate entity from a "woman"... it's common sense. They use the terms "she" and "her" because it's socially more convenient. But beyond that, there are no similarities beyond the cosmetic.

And obviously the same for trans-men. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

the way i pick her quote up is that you cannot choose and slip between the two, you are either one or the other. As i said Frank Warren chose to be a woman as he felt he was born a woman in a mans body, i can only guess the pain the man went through all his life, especially in regards to the sport he was involved in. but the difference is, he made his choice and stuck to it, this bollox of well today I am a woman and I am going to wear a dress and probably tomorrow I will dress as a man sounds to me like someone is a bit mentally fcuked up.
    That's just my opinion but I am not a psychiatrist.
    My point was that, although I do not agree with transgenderism as a phenomenon, if you agree that gender dysphoria is legitimate, genderfluidity trivializes/undermines that. There is room for criticism of genderfluidity from a transgender perspective.

folamh wrote: »
    Gender appropriation is an attack on (and the invisiblisation of) the material reality of being female.

Bullish!t. Plenty of women who were born without wombs will never have to worry about the things you mentioned.....are they not women ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

It's a different name but old Frank and Kelly have a huge amount in common let's be honest

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

Links234 wrote: »
    Not rising to the bait, thanks ;)

I'm not sure what bait you're referring to here?

Her statement was factually correct. If you are identifying as a "trans-woman"... that's precisely what you are.

It would be completely inaccurate to describe you as a "female" if you were born as a "male"...

"Trans-female" yes. But not "female". :)

Banned

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I detest political correctness and how people have to fall into certain categories or labels. But how anyone could think that a transgender male to female is an insult to women is beyond me - to be quite honest it should be more of a compliment if that's the way your mind works.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Meh, it's the same person that used to manage frank Bruno is it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Just a point on RTE, Am I correct in that Declan Buckley rather than Shirley Temple Bar present tele bingo, and was stopped presenting it in his persona as Shirley Temple Bar?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

It's a different name but old Frank and Kelly have a huge amount in common let's be honest

pretty sure you're thinking of frank maloney

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Hitchens

"that's right, 'Arry"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Closed for now, I'm out and about so haven't time to go through it so please be patient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Sincere apologies, I was up the wall in work and was busy after.

Anyway, thread has gone a bit off the rails with some nasty comments thrown in for good measure. I've gone through the thread and the reports and anything that we felt crossed the line was acted upon with some posters receiving bans.

We've decided that there's nothing to gain from reopening this thread so it will remain closed.

Cheers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement