Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Decimalisation is a soft option. Pounds, shillings, pence, stones, pounds, miles, furlongs, chains, yards, inches, gallons, pints etc. are from the pre-digital era - a great way to get an excellent mathematical grounding (and even now I'll convert some of these in my head just for the sake of it.....)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Beasty wrote: »
    Decimalisation is a soft option. Pounds, shillings, pence, stones, pounds, miles, furlongs, chains, yards, inches, gallons, pints etc. are from the pre-digital era - a great way to get an excellent mathematical grounding (and even now I'll convert some of these in my head just for the sake of it.....)
    No. The system of S.I. units has been around since the French Revolution.

How old are you?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Lumen wrote: »

How old are you?!?

No one really knows!
    Like a a Giant redwood you would have to cut him in half to count the rings.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

koutoubia wrote: »
    No one really knows!
    Like a a Giant redwood you would have to cut him in half to count the rings.

Lusk-Doyle might volunteer for that job ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭koutoubia

RobFowl wrote: »
    Lusk-Doyle might volunteer for that job ...

I really didnt want to say that ..so glad you did!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

colm18 wrote: »
    I hear daragh_ has Zwift. Everyone round to his gaff?

Where is everyone else? Anyone want to do a Boards Spin on Zwift? (Hides in anticipation of a 3 week thread on optimum routes).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Luxman wrote: »
    Depends. We're they pushing you and running alongside or nicking your garmin?
    None of the above, though a push would've been handy at that point in the spin.
    colm18 wrote: »
    The letter that references states there are cyclists mounting paths at 50km/h to get around lights :eek: I wouldn't even fancy hitting a dished kerb at that speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

daragh_ wrote: »
    Where is everyone else? Anyone want to do a Boards Spin on Zwift? (Hides in anticipation of a 3 week thread on optimum routes).

You forgot to add in the additional 6 week thread to design the virtual Boards kit too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Paris has instituted a new system whereby cyclists can go through red lights where it's safe (eg going straight at a T junction)

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-33773868

and two Italian journalists are collecting signatures to have the bicycle awarded the Nobel Peace Prize - sign here

http://caterpillar.blog.rai.it/bikethenobel-english/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Tune in today for some hilarity, tut tutting and general idiocy on the loiveline. Seriously, this is public service broadcasting in Ireland.

https://twitter.com/Liveline_RTE/status/676387162359771136

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Just had a carbfest.. lasagne with garlic bread and chickpea salad.. I am already falling asleep..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Tune in today for some hilarity, tut tutting and general idiocy on the loiveline. Seriously, this is public service broadcasting in Ireland.

https://twitter.com/Liveline_RTE/status/676387162359771136

The False Dichotomy and Fabricated Controversy Line was too long, probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

General Winter has claimed victory again, talking all day about sneaking off to get in a spin...ended up doing 45 minutes on the Turbo.

Those youtube videos are pretty good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Fian

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/incredibly-lucky-cyclist-crashes-into-train-and-survives-34287990.html

Indo goes as far as Poland for video to illustrate the dangers of cycling. That there is a true demonstration of care for cycling safety!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

To the two gentlemen in the white van that slowed down to beep at me and laugh out the window as I changed a puncture this morning.......

Middle-Finger-510.jpg

In other news, Conti Ultra Sports are a right bollix to get on and off an Aksium rim......... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

In other news, Conti Ultra Sports are a right bollix to get on and off an Aksium rim......... :(

this.... tore the hands off myself last week getting a new set on my winter wheels, 40 minutes and a pinched tube later i realise i've both tyres on with the direction arrows facing the wrong way.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

Some hard-hitting research on cycling in the British Medical Journal this month, Debunking the curse of the rainbow jersey: http://www.bmj.com/content/351/bmj.h6304. Good news for Peter Sagan!
    Objective To understand the underlying mechanism of the “curse of the rainbow jersey,” the lack of wins that purportedly affects the current cycling world champion.

Design Historical cohort study.

Setting On the road.

Participants Professional cyclists who won the World Championship Road Race or the Tour of Lombardy, 1965-2013.

Main outcome measures Number of professional wins per season in the year when the target race was won (year 0) and in the two following years (years 1 and 2; the world champion wears the rainbow jersey in year 1). The following hypotheses were tested: the “spotlight effect” (that is, people notice when a champion loses), the “marked man hypothesis” (the champion, who must wear a visible jersey, is marked closely by competitors), and “regression to the mean” (a successful season will be generally followed by a less successful one).

Results On average, world champions registered 5.04 wins in year 0, 3.96 in year 1, and 3.47 in year 2; meanwhile, winners of the Tour of Lombardy registered 5.08, 4.22, and 3.83 wins. In a regression model that accounted for the propensity to win of each rider, the baseline year accrued more wins than did the other years (win ratio 1.49, 95% confidence interval 1.24 to 1.80), but the year in the rainbow jersey did not differ significantly from other cycling seasons.

Conclusions The cycling world champion is significantly less successful during the year when he wears the rainbow jersey than in the previous year, but this is best explained by regression to the mean, not by a curse.

But doesn't the CotRJ also involve one's own broken limbs and tragic accidents and deaths and injuries to those one loves? Where's the research on that, huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Guybrush T

penguin88 wrote: »
    Some hard-hitting research on cycling in the British Medical Journal this month, Debunking the curse of the rainbow jersey: http://www.bmj.com/content/351/bmj.h6304. Good news for Peter Sagan!

I'm not sure why it's good news for Sagan. The conclusion is that the year after winning the World Championship is likely to be less successful than the one in which the rainbow jersey was won, but the reason isn't because the rainbow jersey is cursed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

But doesn't the CotRJ also involve one's own broken limbs and tragic accidents and deaths and injuries to those one loves? Where's the research on that, huh?

Not as bad as the curse of Dad's Army.

(Old Viz gag.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Fian

Fian wrote: »
    …Nicholson told the Guardian from the hospital where he is getting his elbow stitched up after slipping in the shower on his return…

Curse of the Rainbow?

Looking at the forum on the Warm Showers website, where he found people to stay with, there's one posting on GPS routes in Europe. One of the links has only a couple of tiny sites in Ireland, the other has one from Waterford around the south and west coast and around the north coast to jump off to Scotland. Might be nice to add a few routes

https://www.warmshowers.org/forums/general/region-and-country-specific-information

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

Guybrush T wrote: »
    I'm not sure why it's good news for Sagan. The conclusion is that the year after winning the World Championship is likely to be less successful than the one in which the rainbow jersey was won, but the reason isn't because the rainbow jersey is cursed.

That's true, but at least he doesn't have to worry about some sort of black magic and just have to worry about normal regression to the mean which is a factor for winners of any race. Unless Lombardia is also cursed...curse of the falling leaves?

During the Tour of Costa Rica a taxi driver pulls the all too often stunt of pulling across cyclists, this time a pretty big bunch of them

https://twitter.com/WazeCR/status/676489335747801092?s=09

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Vincenzo Nibbly

I really wish I hadn't watched that with the sound on. Cannot unhear the howls of pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

I really wish I hadn't watched that with the sound on. Cannot unhear the howls of pain.

so bad

That's what really hits home isn't it.

What's this Garmin 500 people talk about here? Is it the Edge 500? And is this the best-of-breed, or are the newer models better?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

What's this Garmin 500 people talk about here? Is it the Edge 500? And is this the best-of-breed, or are the newer models better?

It is, depends what you want as to if its the best, but for what it does, its the best your going to get.]

What do you want in your GPS unit and there will be one to suit it, the 500 covers a huge amount, and has simple versions of the more complicated ones.

The newer versions are shiny-er and have some newer bits and bobs but IMO, its bigger and they are unnecessary.

• Advertisement

And that's the plain 500, or is the 520 better? (Thinking of the 520 as the same model with a 2.)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement