Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Just the metallic external empty shell insert to power device without data transfer.

Are you sure? I always thought they just removed/disabled some of the pins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

3463860.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 31,030 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Raam wrote: »
    Are you sure? I always thought they just removed/disabled some of the pins.
    This seems easy, particularly if you have some heatshrink lying around to tidy up the outer afterwards.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-a-USB-no-data-charger-cable/?ALLSTEPS

• Registered Users Posts: 24,967 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...If I think of it, I'll take the charger to work tomorrow and try the 500 charger on the 810. I'll turn off the 810 without saving it and charge it see if it resets the ride. If it does, it won't matter. Better than resetting it during a 300k ride! :)
    Tried that this morning - worked fine without resetting. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Safe from damaging the Garmin unit or safe from resetting the ride?

Safe from resetting the ride

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,967 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Safe from resetting the ride
    Are there pins inside the end of the cable?

You could try it on a short ride of no consequence. Bring the charger with you. Stop for a break or whatever, stop the Garmin and turn it off without saving the ride. Plug in the charger for a while and then switch the Garmin back on again and see if it picks up where it left off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

For those lunatic Audax type rides...It's worth noting that Edges do have Data history limitations. The the 520 is 180 hours or something like that. Or it might be 200 files. The Edge 20 only stores 20 rides. Not sure if it just overwrites the older one or "something" from the 20/25 manual "When the device memory if full, your oldest data is overwritten"

I tend to hook my edge to a PC once a month and go into the Activities folder, highlight last months Data and right click, send to compressed folder/zip. email the zip file to myself and then delete the older rides. It also speeds up uploads as it doesn't have to check loads of historic files.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Australian genius Duncan Gay says the way to protect cyclists from being killed is to give them licences.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Australian genius Duncan Gay says the way to protect cyclists from being killed is to give them licences.

Genius cos that works for cars and motorcycles or is it just to identify them afterwards ffs

Like high-viz, licence plates are a secular Miraculous Medal that protect the cyclist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

It might be time to start offering asylum to Australian cyclists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

So... Etiquette query. Was passed out by a small club spin when out on my own this morning. Spent a few kms sitting behind them. About 100-150ms. Felt a bit weird but they had their thing. I had mine. The pace was a bit slower than I'd have liked, so I overtook and went on my way. Bad form?

These little things don't matter but they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

So... Etiquette query. Was passed out by a small club spin when out on my own this morning. Spent a few kms sitting behind them. About 100-150ms. Felt a bit weird but they had their thing. I had mine. The pace was a bit slower than I'd have liked, so I overtook and went on my way. Bad form?

These little things don't matter but they do.

Nope. Do whatever you want.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Raam wrote: »
    Nope. Do whatever you want.

Just be aware they were talking about and laughing at you ...

If they were going too slow how come they caught and passed you ;)

RobFowl wrote: »
    Just be aware they were talking about and laughing at you ...

If they were going too slow how come they caught and passed you ;)

Well, thanks to Strava Flybys they know exactly who I am.

I was recovering from having momentarily caught my testicle between my saddle and my leg. Personally, I think they heard my cry if pain and figured they'd pounce.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Like high-viz, licence plates are a secular Miraculous Medal that protect the cyclist.

My mother in law got her license without a test, she has never been in an accident but she is a terrible driver. She also has a miraculous medal in the car and a bottle of holy water for all journeys.

Either the piece of paper is more beneficial than the test, the medals work, both together act as a forcefield from danger or, controversially to many drivers who have shouted at other drivers, not being in an accident does not mean you are a good or safe driver, it's just a statement that has no impact on future road events involving that person.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

tomasrojo wrote: »
    It might be time to start offering asylum to Australian cyclists.

Must...share...so...on...the...nose...

https://twitter.com/Flaminghobo1/status/664188753284583428?s=09

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

CramCycle wrote: »
    My mother in law got her license without a test, she has never been in an accident but she is a terrible driver. She also has a miraculous medal in the car and a bottle of holy water for all journeys.

Either the piece of paper is more beneficial than the test, the medals work, both together act as a forcefield from danger or, controversially to many drivers who have shouted at other drivers, not being in an accident does not mean you are a good or safe driver, it's just a statement that has no impact on future road events involving that person.

passing your test just meant on one day you where able to drive as required by the testing standards, once gotten the driving can go anyway it wants.

manafana wrote: »
    passing your test just meant on one day you where able to drive as required by the testing standards, once gotten the driving can go anyway it wants.

It also means you passed that particular time's testing standards. I failed a test for not doing something that today you'd be failed for doing - applying the handbrake at a red light.

manafana wrote: »

The required standard for her was to fill in a form.

• Advertisement

More than 50 years ago, then?

http://www.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-talk/why-roads-are-safer-after-50-years-of-the-driving-test-30062291.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,060 ✭✭✭buffalo

It also means you passed that particular time's testing standards. I failed a test for not doing something that today you'd be failed for doing - applying the handbrake at a red light.

Why do you think you'd be failed for applying the handbrake at a red light?

buffalo wrote: »
    Why do you think you'd be failed for applying the handbrake at a red light?

Because people here have told me that it's now a fail item.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,060 ✭✭✭buffalo

Because people here have told me that it's now a fail item.

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet! :D
    Examples of ‘Vehicle Control’ faults include:

Handbrake: not applied as appropriate on an incline, or during a prolonged stop in traffic, or being applied before the vehicle has come to a halt, or inadequate application, or attempting to drive while the handbrake is still engaged. Not applying the handbrake at the end of the test.

http://rsa.ie/Documents/ADI/Information%20Pack/DrivingFault_Marking_Guides.pdf

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

My mother was the same, never had to do a test, never had a major accident but an awful driver!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

1913801_1673385696238668_7568791614161044512_n.jpg?oh=172a23ea995e50d651ba1aaf7b1d8915&oe=5714DCD6

I won't comment on my mother in laws age but the amnesty was 1979 AFAIK so 37 years ago.

My own mother failed her test in London, also in the 70s, then followed my aunts suggestion to wear a short skirt on the retest (she wore trousers for the first one). She claims she made more mistakes the second time but they were not noted for some reason.

Just to right this gender imbalance. My dad's a **** driver.

I'll see your father and raise you mine: he drove with his face close to the windscreen, hunched over the wheel, at a steady 30mph, the car placed midway over the centre line of the road, and occasionally shouted "BE QUIET CAN'T YOU SEE I'M DRIVING BE QUIET" at any of us who opened our trap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Fian

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement