Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

A lady taxi driver pulled straight out in front of me today... my generalising brain cells went into a meltdown

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Just to right this gender imbalance. My dad's a **** driver.

As is/was mine when he was driving!

Drove a truck for Guinness for decades and was great. Not one accident.
    But once he got into his car god help anyone who got in his way.
    Was like donkey derby.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Fian wrote: »
    i'm assuming the first shot was accidental, rather than one cop thinking 'now's my chance to off bob, he keeps nicking my sandwiches from the staff fridge'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

"Heat the grease in an old frypan or tin and soak the chain in the hot grease. Lasts for ages"
    Does this actually work before I get a blowtorch and heat the grease?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

CramCycle wrote: »
    My mother in law got her license without a test, she has never been in an accident but she is a terrible driver. She also has a miraculous medal in the car and a bottle of holy water for all journeys.
    might have mentioned this before; my mother in law was getting a lift home from a friend (at night) and her friend commented 'i think everyone around here thinks they know me, they keep flashing at me'.
    MIL: 'no, josephine, they're flashing at you because you're driving with full beams on. you should dip them'.
    josephine: 'dip my headlights? sure i'm as blind as a bat, i wouldn't be able to see a thing then'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

snubbleste wrote: »
    "Heat the grease in an old frypan or tin and soak the chain in the hot grease. Lasts for ages"
    Does this actually work before I get a blowtorch and heat the grease?

I think lube/chain technology may have come on a tad since the 1950s but it might still work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Australian genius Duncan Gay says the way to protect cyclists from being killed is to give them licences.

https://twitter.com/bikesnobnyc/status/678915213433917440

$319 fine (€200+) for not wearing a helmet and compulsory carrying of ID. Australia leads the world in this sort of nonsense.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/bikesnobnyc/status/678915213433917440

$319 fine (€200+) for not wearing a helmet and compulsory carrying of ID. Australia leads the world in this sort of nonsense.

I wouldn't have any issues with that, If it meant I could cycle on the road and it robbed about 80% of drivers thinking I was "not paying tax" and the various arguments.

I'm a minority, probably. Possibly my own race, as it happens, a bit like knackers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

I wouldn't have any issues with that, If it meant I could cycle on the road and it robbed about 80% of drivers thinking I was "not paying tax" and the various arguments.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dilemma

I'm not sure there is any concession you could make that would give you anything like parity of esteem in Australia. When it comes to cycling, it's deeply weird.

• Advertisement

Following a lad today up Howth Head, if your stretchy pants feel too tight they probably are too tight... and see through 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Following a lad today up Howth Head, if your stretchy pants feel too tight they probably are too tight... and see through 😕

Or worse. Wet white ones

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Maybe try going for a cycle rather than indulge your pervy fantasies ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

5ac12f33-14c9-4457-8577-3350ee61d77d_zpskm9v0f62.jpg

Hell Yeah!

Disclaimer: That's a Falcon 9 booster stage landing back (Buck Rodgers style) at its launch site after launching 11 satellites into low Earth orbit. What a time to be alive.

Hmmzis wrote: »
    That's a Falcon 9 booster stage landing back (Buck Rodgers style) at its launch site after launching 11 satellites into low Earth orbit. What a time to be alive.

The present is so like a science-fiction story. Watching on-demand, live (well, near-live) footage from Mars on a little screen on your lap in your house is really science-fiction-y.

NSW, Australia again:
    We don’t want to be a Government that ignores cyclists. We want to be one that openly treats them with contempt.
    http://www.sbs.com.au/comedy/article/2015/12/22/new-laws-punish-cyclists-being-struck-cars

(It's a spoof, but it's quite accurate.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Fian

i'm assuming the first shot was accidental, rather than one cop thinking 'now's my chance to off bob, he keeps nicking my sandwiches from the staff fridge'.

Video did not look like he meant to shoot his partner, he either meant to shoot the cyclist or his gun went off by accident.

Diarmuid wrote: »

I got as far as the bit with the word "dichotomy" and I don't get it. Probably might have if I read further but there looked like there were a lot of words in that wiki thing.

Regardless... lots of things requires licences for various reasons and I'd pay one for cycling if it "educated" other road users. I'd like to be treated like someone on a moped, for example.

A really slow moped though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 31,031 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Regardless... lots of things requires licences for various reasons and I'd pay one for cycling if it "educated" other road users. I'd like to be treated like someone on a moped, for example.
    The problem is that even after you've discovered that you're not treated any differently than you were before, you'll be stuck with your ridiculous pedalling license/permission to exist and have no way back.

Besides which, you do realise that scooterists are despised by everybody? Even motorcyclists hate them. Actually, especially motorcyclists. They're like mechanically propelled herpes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Thud

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/assos-ss-rallytrekkingjersey-evo7-mtb-jersey/rp-prod133065

Gotta love the description for this €372 :eek: jersey:
    Note that the back panel is an innovative 3-D mesh construction that has many advantages, as well as one concern:
    reduced UV protection. Wearing an Assos baselayer resolves this potential
    problem. If the rider prefers to not wear the baselayer, we recommend sunscreen be applied to the rider's back.

• Advertisement

You better hurry there's only 3 left

Lumen wrote: »
    <snip>

Besides which, you do realise that scooterists are despised by everybody? Even motorcyclists hate them. Actually, especially motorcyclists. They're like mechanically propelled herpes.

To be honest... no, I didn't know that :)

Exiting stage left... I came across this the other evening after coming across "4th and vine"

She was only 21! :eek:
    I think it is pretty amazing at that age to walk out onto that stage alone and in front of all your peers, and knock out a superb performance, fair play to her. Some serious vocals in it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,967 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Thud wrote: »
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/assos-ss-rallytrekkingjersey-evo7-mtb-jersey/rp-prod133065

Gotta love the description for this €372 :eek: jersey:
    Note that the back panel is an innovative 3-D mesh construction that has many advantages, as well as one concern:
    reduced UV protection. Wearing an Assos baselayer resolves this potential
    problem. If the rider prefers to not wear the baselayer, we recommend sunscreen be applied to the rider's back.
    ...and the obligatory Assos baselayer will be another €95 ......and there's only 2 of them left!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/assos-ss-skinfoil-spring-fall-s7/rp-prod133066

At the other end of of the scale from "permission to exist" Australia:
    Having studied the barriers Stockholmers face in switching from cars to bikes, [Sweden’s Royal Institute of Technology] has recommended that the city’s existing congestion charge zone be adapted to benefit people commuting by bike. Some money earned through the congestion charge (which covers most of the inner city) could be funneled back into cycling benefits—not as cash in hand, but as credits towards bike repairs or upgrades to studded tires for winter riding.
    http://www.citylab.com/cityfixer/2015/12/stockholm-reverse-congestion-charge-cyclists-driving/421767/

Entries for 2016 Wicklow 200 now open. (Sunday 12th June).

http://www.wicklow200.ie/how-to-enter/

Done.

Better be a few before me!

Sponsored by Tyskie Beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

tomasrojo wrote: »
    At the other end of of the scale from "permission to exist" Australia:

http://www.citylab.com/cityfixer/2015/12/stockholm-reverse-congestion-charge-cyclists-driving/421767/

the nordic just seem to have there head on there shoulders for the most part. In Oz the state of NSW has just become a state of all laws and more laws its nut just cycling

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Used Parcel Motel for the first time to send a parcel. Medium sized parcel weighing under 10kgs ( weighed in at a shade under 3kgs.
    For price comparison An Post website was quoting €12.50. Parcel Motel to a house address €7.50. Parcel Motel point to Parcel Motel point €5.50.
    Some difference!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Fian

OleRodrigo wrote: »

Yeah VR linked turbo training might actually be fun rather than a chore, especially if you can compete in a tour de france stage against the actual riders, with a sliding level of "boost" to make it possible to actually compete. Sort of like virtual mechanical doping. No reason why they could not incorporate an easing of power required when drafting an increase in the front too, as well as factoring in climbs.

I am planning a new PC and a VR HMD next year when they come out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

koutoubia wrote: »
    Used Parcel Motel for the first time to send a parcel. Medium sized parcel weighing under 10kgs ( weighed in at a shade under 3kgs.
    For price comparison An Post website was quoting €12.50. Parcel Motel to a house address €7.50. Parcel Motel point to Parcel Motel point €5.50.
    Some difference!

AN post is gone in my view as a postal service for all bar the basics, there customer support, the service, there cost base and union issues blended in with this eirecode debacle.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement