Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Today, while driving, I turned left from Merrion Square onto Clare Street. I had to stop at a red light/green pedestrian crossing while I was waiting to turn right to Lincoln Place. As I was stopped, a cyclist came up my left side, went through the red light at the pedestrian crossing, mounted the footpath (full of peds) and continued cycling on the footpath up Leinster Street. He was in no particular hurry.

It was a Garda. In uniform. On a Garda bicycle.

A stellar example.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,324 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

He was full of peds? Hope they tested him....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

crosstownk wrote: »
    Today, while driving, I turned left from Merrion Square onto Clare Street. I had to stop at a red light/green pedestrian crossing while I was waiting to turn right to Lincoln Place. As I was stopped, a cyclist came up my left side, went through the red light at the pedestrian crossing, mounted the footpath (full of peds) and continued cycling on the footpath up Leinster Street. He was in no particular hurry.

It was a Garda. In uniform. On a Garda bicycle.

A stellar example.

What is this foot "path" you speak of?

APOSTATE!!!!

Cyclists use the FOOTPAD!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

AFAIK Guards are allowed break rules of the road while on duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    AFAIK Guards are allowed break rules of the road while on duty.
    They are exempt from rather than allowed to 'break' the rules (except section 49 etc.)

• Advertisement

They are exempt from rather than allowed to 'break' the rules (except section 49 etc.)

Is it the same thing, more or less?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

arn't the rules of the road for motorised traffic

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    Is it the same thing, more or less?
    Well no - one can't break a rule that one is exempt from. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

When was one crowned?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

manafana wrote: »
    arn't the rules of the road for motorised traffic

Nope. There are exemptions from speed limitations for non motorised traffic that's about it.

• Advertisement

Now, I'm as fond of the occasional bout of pedantry as the next fella, but I draw the line with delusions of grandeur. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,126 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Eamonnator wrote: »
    When was one crowned?
    It looks like HRH WA has been crowned at least 14 times, according to VeloViewer anyway :pac:

It looks like HRH WA has been crowned at least 14 times, according to VeloViewer anyway :pac:
    LOL :D

(Most of those are pretty tame segments - it's virtually impossible for mere mortals to get crowned nowadays!)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

That may be the case for the boys in blue but surely an attitude of lead by example could be applied? Just because he can doesn't mean he has to.

Maybe I'm have delusions of grandeur in my idealistic world :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Is the Stephen Roche monument still up in Dundrum? (It looks rather uninformative from pictures online.)

Various other racing cyclist monuments listed here http://www.hidden-dublin.com/cycling/cycling02.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

Is the Stephen Roche monument still up in Dundrum? (It looks rather uninformative from pictures online.)

Various other racing cyclist monuments listed here http://www.hidden-dublin.com/cycling/cycling02.html

Yes, but they moved it to up beside the new shopping centre, and made it far less visible from the road: https://goo.gl/maps/kLXZShJTn2R2

edit: for full contrast, this is where it used to be: https://goo.gl/maps/VM19ERzSuXs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

It's down the side of the Dundrum Town Centre now. Was pointing it out to someone yesterday. Not that conspicous, down an alley that runs parallel to the front of the cinema.

EDIT: buffalo got there first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭H.E. Pennypacker

From the Sindo:

http://www.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-reviews/dont-look-now-but-there-is-a-new-audi-a4-34257286.html

"My daughter got out to see if there was any damage. There wasn't. But the cyclist had passed so close our rear, kerb-side bumper that the Audi A4's hazard lights flashed and the seat belts tightened around us. In other words it sensed impact. And we weren't even moving. I tell you this because there is a prevalence of two-wheel reckless drivers on some roads. Be careful out there."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

From the Sindo:

http://www.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-reviews/dont-look-now-but-there-is-a-new-audi-a4-34257286.html

"My daughter got out to see if there was any damage. There wasn't. But the cyclist had passed so close our rear, kerb-side bumper that the Audi A4's hazard lights flashed and the seat belts tightened around us. In other words it sensed impact. And we weren't even moving. I tell you this because there is a prevalence of two-wheel reckless drivers on some roads. Be careful out there."

2057774314.jpg

tomasrojo wrote: »
    It's down the side of the Dundrum Town Centre now. Was pointing it out to someone yesterday. Not that conspicous, down an alley that runs parallel to the front of the cinema.

EDIT: buffalo got there first.

Yeah it really isn't that well placed now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

From the Sindo:

The editor must have been on holidays. It reads like a bit they wrote for some part of the review but decided to exclude it and then the proof readers and editors never copped it was accidentally included so they ended up without that odd, it doesn't fit in with the review, paragraph.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭koutoubia

There is a plaque marking the birthplace of Harry Reynolds in Balbriggan.

CramCycle wrote: »
    The editor must have been on holidays. It reads like a bit they wrote for some part of the review but decided to exclude it and then the proof readers and editors never copped it was accidentally included so they ended up without that odd, it doesn't fit in with the review, paragraph.

Nah. He has the "my side of the road" bit every week, a bit of a rant against random road users.
    If you ignore him, he might go away.
    Personally, I think the editor is on permanent sabbatical, but that's another matter.

koutoubia wrote: »
    There is a plague marking the birthplace of Harry Reynolds in Balbriggan.

autocorrect can be funny at times.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Eamonnator wrote: »
    autocorrect can be funny at times.

Its funny the things your eyes autocorrect as well, I never even noticed the dark ways that they commemorate people around that part of the country.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

koutoubia wrote: »
    There is a plague marking the birthplace of Harry Reynolds in Balbriggan.

And he is buried beside the old church in Balrothery :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

From the Sindo:

The absolute crathurs!
    RobFowl wrote: »
    And he is buried beside the old church in Balrothery :)

Should have put him in St Andrew's Church, wasn't that a leprosarium?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

CramCycle wrote: »
    The editor must have been on holidays. <snip>

That might explain how the following got through (Or it could just be me)

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/amid-the-usual-teen-court-dramas-a-case-that-will-shock-the-nation-34260969.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Jesus that's awful ****e. The first third is an observational piece of what the regular clientele wear to court and other social commentary. Heaven forbid that a Rathfarnham lad would have to mix with the tracker knackers.

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Jesus that's awful ****e. The first third is an observational piece of what the regular clientele wear to court and other social commentary. Heaven forbid that a Rathfarnham lad would have to mix with the tracker knackers.

disgusting human beings the lot of them anyway, money no good to them now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement