Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Coming soon, to a commuter route near you....

Man creates 90,000 lumen LED front light

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

You'll still get a motorist winding down window to tell you that you can't be seen without a "yellow jacket".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Need a back light version too and it must be wrapped in hi-vis.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No messing though, 90,000 lumens requiring 1kW and it only weighs 5kg. There's a market in military applications for that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Coming soon, to a commuter route near you....

Man creates 90,000 lumen LED front light

flashlights.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

There was a documentary on about genetic mutations and lactose intolerance was on it. Apparantly something like three quarters of the worlds population is lactose intolerant, with 90% of Chinese and Japanese people lactose intolerant. Our corner of Northeren Europe has the highest lactose tolerance rates in the world, and the gene we have that breaks it down is from I think one Dutch person, my memory isn't 100% on that. But yeah most of us in Ireland are lactose tolerant. I suppose it bodes well for those who are lactose intolerant in terms of hybrid vigour :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

So lactose tolerance is the illness, everyone else is normal. Adds fuel to the argument of some people that we shouldn't consume milk from animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

argument of some people that we they shouldn't consume milk from animals

FTFT :P

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

ThisRegard wrote: »
    So lactose tolerance is the illness, everyone else is normal. Adds fuel to the argument of some people that we shouldn't consume milk from animals.
    Public health advice is generally uselessly non-specific.

In the future we will probably get personal health advice based on genetic predispositions/sensitivites to carcinogens, mind-altering substances etc, which would be really useful when (for instance) considering whether to take up crack smoking as a pastime.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Depending on where in the world you're from, yes and no!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Lumen wrote: »
    which would be really useful when (for instance) considering whether to take up crack smoking as a pastime.

Apparently crack isn't any more dangerous than regular cocaine.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I prefer mutation, makes me feel like one of the X men.
    Apparently crack isn't any more dangerous than regular cocaine.
    Supposedly less dangerous than alcohol if that puts it in perspective.

I just find it surprising, we had milk cartons supplied to the classroom every morning, 50% if not far higher of every class drank a third of a pint of milk with no obvious issues.

Its only when I came to Dublin I discovered that milk was not a common drink for people with dinner.

I can understand it in other countries where milk was not such a substantial part of the diet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Depends where you're buying it. Poitín isn't any more dangerous than whiskey - except that there's no one overseeing how it's made, and it could be made in a lead bath, with blue bag and bleach. Same with drugs; crack could be cut with anything, and you'd be, er, cracked to use it.

crack could be cut with anything, and you'd be, er, cracked to use it.

So could be cocaine, and based on reports of some bars in Ireland, it is equally difficult to say that what your getting in your glass is exactly what is on the label.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Its only when I came to Dublin I discovered that milk was not a common drink for people with dinner.

It's only when I came to dublin that I discovered that it's strange to call round to friend's house for a cup of tea and a biscuit, if you're not a pensioner.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

So lactose tolerance is the illness, everyone else is normal.

It was a mutation that seemed to confer a huge advantage in Europe, due a gene-culture co-evolution, with dairy farming rising in prominence at the same time and creating a strong evolutionary advantage for those who could drink it into adulthood. I guess it was a way of consuming all that grass that Europe is so good at producing.

New Scientist had an article about potential downsides of consuming milk as an adult. Interesting one was that milk is a growth promoter, and quite a complex mix of molecules, with effects other than those associated with nutrition. IIRC, the suspicion was that it can encourage tumour growth, should you have one. There were other downsides discussed, but I can't remember them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

What I feel like after a spin when I take off my bib shorts and still have my leg warmers on..........

Spongebob-in-The-Spongebob-Squarepants-Movie-spongebob-squarepants-19336708-554-310.gif

An image to conjure with. Quite what you'd conjure up with it is another question.

Again with the Irish and their milk as sower as they could get it, I wonder does drinking it soured (they also liked to drink the whey as a refreshing lifter) change how the metabolism meets the milk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

CramCycle wrote: »

This is another thing I only realised recently, some people find the thoughts of milk with dinner as revolting. It has been the norm for me since a kid, to the point of being scolded for leaving little for breakfast the next day. And I'm a Dub.

We get our milk delivered by a milk man and when we initially gave our order he asked if we're sure that's how much we want.

…and there's the famous figure about the Dutch being some of the smallest people in Europe 150 years ago and now being some of the tallest, which Dutch people I've talked to put down to the dairy products they consume. Lots of drinkable yogurts among them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,210 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Is there some sort of general thread on here about cycling technique or some such? I was recently labelled a "grinder" :pac: on the presumption that I don't change gears enough (slightly exaggerated!) and that I was making things harder for myself. My legs felt fine and the main exhaustion was from the warm weather.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,324 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

…and there's the famous figure about the Dutch being some of the smallest people in Europe 150 years ago and now being some of the tallest, which Dutch people I've talked to put down to the dairy products they consume. Lots of drinkable yogurts among them.

I been working with quite a lot of Dutch people over the years. I was told they (certainly used to) routinely feed their cattle growth hormones which was absorbed by people eating the meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

This evening I was delighted to see that the southbound side of the road (bus lane) just south of Drumcondra Bridge has been resurfaced. This time they used a steam roller. Previously is would have buckled the wheels of a steam roller.

A big thanks to DCC from the bottom of my ar$e :D

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Is there some sort of general thread on here about cycling technique or some such?

You must be confused; this is the milk and porridge thread.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

crosstownk wrote: »
    This evening I was delighted to see that the southbound side of the road (bus lane) just south of Drumcondra Bridge has been resurfaced. This time they used a steam roller. Previously is would have buckled the wheels of a steam roller.

A big thanks to DCC from the bottom of my ar$e :D

A part of the road and cycle lane northbound just before Santry is in a terrible state too. There were about 6 lads digging it up too on Friday or Saturday when it was being done.Took a picture of it too as it's just such a bad, bad job.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Weepsie wrote: »
    A part of the road and cycle lane northbound just before Santry is in a terrible state too. There were about 6 lads digging it up too on Friday or Saturday when it was being done.Took a picture of it too as it's just such a bad, bad job.

Agreed. Hopefully it's temporary and the final repair will be acceptable (maybe I'm dreaming).

There's a lot of recent repairs on Dorset St northbound but the manholes still need to be uncovered.......

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

You must be confused; this is the milk and porridge thread.

Name for the next off topic thread? RobFowl might like it better than this one, though his concerns seemed to have lessened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,126 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Weepsie wrote: »
    Name for the next off topic thread? RobFowl might like it better than this one, though his concerns seemed to have lessened.
    Only 8,589 posts to go!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement