Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Almost every morning:

80g Lidl porrige
    20g honey
    1 pinch of salt
    Hot water to cover
    10min when I'm drinking coffee
    ready!

You can call me names now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Alek wrote: »
    You can call me names now.

Hello names

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

CramCycle wrote: »
    What's all this water malarkey. Cretins.

Milk and more milk. Never understood this thing of making porridge with water.

I rarely have it but when I do, it's with milk, have some respect for yourselves.

No dairy. Don't you want to stay under 60kg?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

Beasty wrote: »
    I'm not convinced Ireland produces enough oats to satisfy the country's demand for porridge and suspect quite a lot of them are imported even by the "Irish" brands

My new favourite conspiracy theory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

...And bad enough to have to eat it hot, my oul lad used to eat it late at night when it was cold and curdled after sitting in a pot all day. I think I'm going to be sick!

*Stomach heaves*

Amateur! My mother used to love tripe and onions. #TellMeAboutYourChildhood

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Does nobody else soak their oats overnight? I've always done it.
    You're meant to sow you oats overnight - not soak them!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

You're meant to sow you oats overnight - not soak them!

Tried to last night, only just now stopped the bleeding.......

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Granola and natural yoghurt for the win.

I actually used to hate it, but then got a taste for it. Keeps you full for hours.

On a more serious note, my edge 500 is on its way out after five faithful years. OK, it works fine, but half the lines on the top half the screen don't appear anymore after a relatively benign drop. Obviously this means Santy is bringing me a new one. The question is Edge 520 or Edge 810? I'm leaning towards the 520 because it's newer and I don't need navigation. And it's €100 cheaper.
    Also means my 500 can become the commuter computer.

My mother used to love tripe and onions.

Tripe stew is a very traditional Polish cuisine. I love it myself :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

I think the water in the office was extra cold today. I had to heat up my porridge for an extra 20 seconds :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Count me a fan of porridge. Half water, half milk.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I made friends with the bonnet of a taxi this morning. Fun times. May have screwed up my wrist...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I made friends with the bonnet of a taxi this morning. Fun times. May have screwed up my wrist...

Done that once about 15 years ago now. More of a one night stand as they ran a red and drove off after I got to my feet. I hope your taxi was a bit more chivalrous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Count me a fan of porridge. Half water, half milk.

I find water is disgusting with it, I have to make it with milk, and even at that, I have to load it with either jam or honey before eating it.

I have the kids adding honey (acacia honey, made by the gods of the bee world)to all their cereal now, weetabix(yum), corn flakes, even cheerios and the likes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Fook, that'll put paid to any late night solo fun for a bit ;)

Nice surprise this am, done twice in two days for speeding ( genuinely thought it was an 80 zone but speed cameras said 60). Paid up and got 6 points in total (first in 25 years of driving.
    Anyway two Garda letters in post, thought Fook what have I done ...
    Inside a letter saying 60 had no basis in law and cheques for 160 in total and removal of points.
    Happy days.
    Now what can I get for 160 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Tripe stew is a very traditional Polish cuisine. I love it myself :D
    Tripe is the meat eaters equivalent of Tofu. It has wobbly texture and no inherent flavour. It takes on the flavour of whatever you cook it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

seamus wrote: »
    The question is Edge 520 or Edge 810?
    Actually think I answered this one myself, since the 810 is now cheaper than the 520 it means there's an Edge 820 probably due out. 810 is for touring and people who need maps. 520 is for gadget heads like me who want to connect up with their phone and stuff.

No inherent flavour? We must be talking about a different thing. When prepared it has a taste you can't confuse with anything... and there are no other unusual ingredients in the stew. And the smell when it cooks... well, this is something I can't get used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Actually think I answered this one myself, since the 810 is now cheaper than the 520 it means there's an Edge 820 probably due out. 810 is for touring and people who need maps. 520 is for gadget heads like me who want to connect up with their phone and stuff.

I might have a like-new 800 for sale ;)

• Advertisement

No inherent flavour? We must be talking about a different thing. When prepared it has a taste you can't confuse with anything... and there are no other unusual ingredients in the stew. And the smell when it cooks... well, this is something I can't get used to.

I dunno, i've cook it several times and don't get any smell or much flavour. Even the butcher told me as I was buying for the first time that it doesn't have much flavour. We're talking about the same stuff here, are we? White wobbly stuff with the square ridges???
    "Tripe tastes like……..well…..tripe, which is relatively bland but easily flavoured by the sauce around it. The actual tripe brings the texture or ‘meatiness’ to the dish. I love tripe cooked simply and traditionally in a lovely, hot white onion sauce where there is a tender bite in the tripe and a subtle harmony of herbs, peppercorns and onions in rich smooth gravy. I love it served with warm
    http://www.jameswhelanbutchers.com/info/5067/talking-tripe/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

RobFowl wrote: »
    Nice surprise this am, done twice in two days for speeding ( genuinely thought it was an 80 zone but speed cameras said 60). Paid up and got 6 points in total (first in 25 years of driving.
    Anyway two Garda letters in post, thought Fook what have I done ...
    Inside a letter saying 60 had no basis in law and cheques for 160 in total and removal of points.
    Happy days.
    Now what can I get for 160 ;)

Six new points ;)

I dunno, i've cook it several times and don't get any smell or much flavour.

I think they may come pre-cooked in Ireland.

If you get them raw, its a whole new kitchen experience, sometimes involving your neighbours ;)

https://www.winiary.pl/image.ashx/flaki-jelenie-00-jpg.jpg?fileID=137642&width=500&height=250&frame=True&bg=0&resize=0&crop=3&hRefill=0&vRefill=0&quality=100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

I dunno, i've cook it several times and don't get any smell or much flavour. Even the butcher told me as I was buying for the first time that it doesn't have much flavour. We're talking about the same stuff here, are we? White wobbly stuff with the square ridges???

Surprised with you and the butcher you quoted...

Tripe when cooked right is fantastic, but the taste does come from what you put with it. Cork style = mank, Madrid style FTW

http://www.cookstr.com/recipes/tripe-madrid-style

Drisheen is in a world of it's own on the mankness stakes. One of the very very few foods I can't eat. Even frying it in butter doesn't make it edible

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

810 also connects to your phone so you can be remotely tracked by your other half. Not entirely sure if this is a good thing....

I like the idea of mapping on my 810, but don't use it that much tbh. Had planned on touring this year which didn't happen, but will hopefully manage next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I find water is disgusting with it, I have to make it with milk, and even at that, I have to load it with either jam or honey before eating it.

I have the kids adding honey (acacia honey, made by the gods of the bee world)to all their cereal now, weetabix(yum), corn flakes, even cheerios and the likes.

Half a mug of oats in a bowl. Fill the same mug with a mixture of water and milk (to taste) and add. Mug only needs a rinse then. Pinch of salt. 2 1/2 minutes in microwave. Woila.

ford2600 wrote: »
    Surprised with you and the butcher you quoted...

Tripe when cooked right is fantastic, but the taste does come from what you put with it.
    That's exactly what I've been saying. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

That's exactly what I've been saying. :confused:

I wasn't diasgreeing with you, just a dig at your link

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Just in for 2 xrays. One on my wrist, the other on my ribs. The video of the crash is fun!

• Advertisement

I think what you are getting at butcher's is "washed tripe"
    Washed tripe is more typically known as dressed tripe. To dress the tripe, the stomachs are cleaned and the fat trimmed off.[4] It is then boiled and bleached, giving it the white color more commonly associated with tripe as seen on market stalls and in butchers shops. The task of dressing the tripe is usually carried out by a professional tripe dresser.

I was refering the unwashed one - you can get it from a butchers in a mediterranean / arabic shop, in example.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement