Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

It'll be in the last place you look!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

No - first place I checked.

I'm hoping it's at home somewhere. When my fingers are cold, it gets very loose. (I keep meaning to get it resized as I'm 35kgs lighter now than when I got married 16 years ago).

I have found giving up on looking for something and you will find it, probably a fortnight to a month later.

Your other option is to tell the truth, in your efforts to keep your partner interested in you, you lost 16kg and you should not be punished for loving them so much.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I have found giving up on looking for something and you will find it, probably a fortnight to a month later.

Your other option is to tell the truth, in your efforts to keep your partner interested in you, you lost 16kg and you should not be punished for loving them so much.

WA lost 16 years and 35kg :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

traprunner wrote: »
    WA lost 16 years and 35kg :D

Well the 16 years must be worth at least one ring, and 35kg is over twice the amount of love I thought was being given so there can be no complaints either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Just last week I had a conversation with a GP during which I mentioned I cycled to work most days. When I described my route, the doctor said it was very dangerous since there were long stretches with "no cycle lane" and pretty much chastised me for engaging in what she thought was such risky behaviour. That's what you're up against.

Even if it were true that your commute was dangerous, she probably would be taken aback if you were to take her to task for driving to her place of work, putting pedestrians and cyclists at risk (even if driving carefully) and polluting the air.

These are also health issues, but somehow don't matter as much as lecturing people who like to walk and cycle about how remiss they are.

• Advertisement

They were, good idea in that you commuted in the long distance by car and you could use the likes of LUAS or DB to get in the rest of the way.

Charging also results in neighbouring estates filling up with cars whose owners don't want to pay. This also results in residents of these estates lobbying against pedestrian access from their estates to the public transport hub, resulting in under-use of public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

No - first place I checked.

I'm hoping it's at home somewhere. When my fingers are cold, it gets very loose. (I keep meaning to get it resized as I'm 35kgs lighter now than when I got married 16 years ago).
    Just found it! :D:D:D

I ran out of Nicorette and went searching around the crevices of my back-pack for a piece. It must have slipped off when I was getting my gear out when I arrived at work this morning.

Just found it! :D:D:D

I ran out of Nicorette and went searching around the crevices of my back-pack for a piece. It must have slipped off when I was getting my gear out when I arrived at work this morning.

Phew! Awkward conversation/argument averted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Jeweller tomorrow for the snippers!

Phew! Awkward conversation/argument averted!
    Nah - I lost it before for a few months and Mrs WA wasn't bothered.

(She not in a position to be anyway as she doesn't wear her own wedding ring!)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

So what was the gig like?

*Resisting temptation to ask how did it feel.........

12243356_10153898510501833_1217817480352020896_n.jpg?oh=e8976311f3da9c7d01dc0be332051989&oe=56E5D021

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Having watched the first episode, I'm going to leave the following here. Good to see they can still do the humour so well.

Worth a gander if you enjoyed the films.

All hail to the King, baby!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

We're never going to succeed in significantly boosting the numbers cycling unless we stop scaremongering. It's hardly surprising that more people don't cycle if all they hear from state bodies is about how dangerous it allegedly is.

Just last week I had a conversation with a GP during which I mentioned I cycled to work most days. When I described my route, the doctor said it was very dangerous since there were long stretches with "no cycle lane" and pretty much chastised me for engaging in what she thought was such risky behaviour. That's what you're up against.

In my experience, most people don't need much convincing that cycling is often the quickest way in. They simply won't consider it because they're convinced they're taking their life in their own hands.

I find that both disappointing and at the same time I feel quite angry that the perception of cycling is at that level...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭furiousox

Having watched the first episode, I'm going to leave the following here. Good to see they can still do the humour so well.

Worth a gander if you enjoyed the films.

All hail to the King, baby!

Looks great!
    Who's laughing now??

CPL 593H

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

RobFowl wrote: »
    I find that both disappointing and at the same time I feel quite angry that the perception of cycling is at that level...
    My GP advised me it may be in my best interests to give up racing. Can't understand why she thinks cycling may be dangerous ....

Beasty wrote: »
    My GP advised me it may be in my best interests to give up racing. Can't understand why she thinks cycling may be dangerous ....

Cycling is good for you, competitive racing possibly not ;)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

RobFowl wrote: »
    competitive racing possibly not ;)
    But what could possibly go wrong?

Suspect my GP simply lacks experience of dealing with "competitive" cyclists. I'm trying my best to educate her and I'm hopeful she understands things a bit better now......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Even if it were true that your commute was dangerous, she probably would be taken aback if you were to take her to task for driving to her place of work, putting pedestrians and cyclists at risk (even if driving carefully) and polluting the air.

These are also health issues, but somehow don't matter as much as lecturing people who like to walk and cycle about how remiss they are.

To echo Jep some more...
    Cycling is not dangerous. It is simply not. What is dangerous is having cars and trucks and buses whooshing around in our city streets and on our small rural roads. These fast-moving and very heavy steel boxes hit pedestrians, cyclists and each other all the time and cause death and injury almost every day. It’s the cars and trucks and buses that are dangerous. And being on foot or on a bike is only made dangerous by having them around.

http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/time-to-listen-to-cyclists-1.2435236

I got onto Kryptonote about buying 2 locks on the same day that have the same key. It was totally unintentional on my part. They asked for photos and I sent them. They got back immediately to tell me that it shouldn't have happened and they were dispatching 2 new locks to me. I checked the tracking number and they should be on a flight soon.

(Park-and-ride) were (free), good idea in that you commuted in the long distance by car and you could use the likes of LUAS or DB to get in the rest of the way. You could even have a bike in your boot (I done this with my SAAB quite a bit. Then for some reason they started charging in some. Not sure if they all are charging though.

As far as I know, they all charge now. And hospital car parks, of all places, make, quite literally, millions of euro from charging for car parking for sick and dying people and their friends and relatives who come to sit by their bedsides. This country has gone a very, very bad way in its relationship to money.

On another note, was listening to an old BBC podcast, On Your Bike, about the history of cycling, which talked about a stamp heroising Baden-Powell for his use of bicycle scouts in Britain's hideous war against the Boers from 1899 to 1902. The programme gave the impression (or I gained the impression - was listening while doggy-walking) that it was a penny-farthing that was used to race across the Transvaal; sadly, the stamp seems to have him riding a safety bicycle.

368996.jpg

Edit: couldn't resist adding his scouting manual - I say, chaps!

http://ridevintage.com/1910-cyclist-scouts-training-boy-scouts/

and a picture of his ideal boy scout from it:

368997.jpg

• Advertisement

^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Any reason for the Star of David in the chain ring? Jewish manufacturer or just a design?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Just saw what the looked like a father and daughter whizz past me in phibsborough on a 3 person tandem bike (the third saddle was vacant) It looked great.

Anyone else ever see it?

^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Any reason for the Star of David in the chain ring? Jewish manufacturer or just a design?

No idea - I'd have to listen back to the podcast to see if they mention the manufacturer of the bikes; I don't think they did, in that case, though they mentioned the maker of the military bikes used in WWI (can't remember who it was, though). Chain rings on these WWI British bikes don't seem to be similar https://bsamuseum.wordpress.com/ww1-military-bicycles-in-world-war-one-wwi/

In the scouts' handbook I liked the advice on lights: "Don't go out with a wick which has been standing in the oil for months; always soak the wick in vinegar and then dry it, this then gives a clear and smokeless light; if you have a short wick and oil running short, drop a pebble in the reservoir". Ah, happy days. I suppose most of the poor little souls were cut to bits by the guns of the coming war.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Maybe if modern bikes came with those rifle holders as standard, rather than bottle cages, the morning commutes might be more relaxed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Any reason for the Star of David in the chain ring?

It may be just unintentional design, I have a feeling that the circled hexagram became widely recognisable as the Star of David only after the II WW.

Alek wrote: »
    It may be just unintentional design, I have a feeling that the circled hexagram became widely recognisable as the Star of David only after the II WW.

It may also have been Masonic.

As for the rifle, people forget how very militarised the training of the Empire's children was. I recently came across someone in an 1900s issue of the Kilkenny Moderator calling for the local Church Scouts to be given military training, a suggestion that must have gone down well, since Lord Roberts (the guy behind the Curragh Mutiny) was their overall commander.

I got onto Kryptonote about buying 2 locks on the same day that have the same key. It was totally unintentional on my part. They asked for photos and I sent them. They got back immediately to tell me that it shouldn't have happened and they were dispatching 2 new locks to me. I checked the tracking number and they should be on a flight soon.
    I think you do get key "collisions" like this from time to time. As far as I know, they don't make unique keys for each lock, just a fairly wide range of teeth patterns, so someone somewhere with your brand and model of lock can open your lock. They just don't know it.

Probably another good reason to have two locks.

Alek wrote: »

Wikipedia says that the Star of David was never exclusively a Jewish symbol. It's quite a nice pattern, so maybe the manufacturer just put it in on a whim. Fancy patterns on chainrings used to be quite a nice tradition.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I think you do get key "collisions" like this from time to time. As far as I know, they don't make unique keys for each lock, just a fairly wide range of teeth patterns, so someone somewhere with your brand and model of lock can open your lock. They just don't know it.

Probably another good reason to have two locks.

I'm sure key collisions do happen but I'd imagine their quality control should ensure that it doesn't happen in the same delivery to one bike shop or even to the one distributor (within certain time constraints). It may be the case that this is just a coincidence and the two locks came in different deliveries to the same shop months apart.

I have to say that I am impressed with the Kryptonite customer service on the matter though. Without me asking, they said they said to keep or recycle them and they would dispatch new ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Weepsie wrote: »
    Just saw what the looked like a father and daughter whizz past me in phibsborough on a 3 person tandem bike (the third saddle was vacant) It looked great.

Anyone else ever see it?
    I saw them three years ago, with all saddles occupied. It's the only trandem I've seen in the wild, so I assume it's the same one.

I've seen a number of tandems in the last year, including three together climbing Howth from the graveyard side a couple of months ago :eek: Never been on one, so I dunno if the hills are harder or easier on them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement