Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I can't even look at tripe in a butchers, never mind taste it. The above description, to me, is disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

We do that in Greece as well, it's a known food for hangovers and after a long night. There used to be shops open selling a tripe soup until 8-9am and they would reopen the other day around 11pm. It's absolutely disgusting the way it's cooked though, no idea about the spanish way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Alek wrote: »
    I think what you are getting at butcher's is "washed tripe"

I was refering the unwashed one - you can get it from a butchers in a mediterranean / arabic shop, in example.
    Ah riiight, that sounds more interesting!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Re Porridge, water has no place in porridge. Milk only and lots of it. I like ti kind of dry, maybe a bit of honey but it's oaty milkiness is what makes it brillinat! About 1/3 to an half porridge porridge oats, 2/3 or a half milk, microwave 4 mins, sticky yumminess!
    No dairy. Don't you want to stay under 60kg?

Easy done ;) Nothing would make me give up dairy. I am the dairy queen. I go through a full pound of real butter by myself a week :o
    I have a theory that the crap they put into/process they put food through to make it low fat are shockingly bad for you. Full fat ftw :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I go through a full pound of real butter by myself a week

I thought its only me :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

gadetra wrote: »
    Re Porridge, water has no place in porridge. Milk only and lots of it. I like ti kind of dry, maybe a bit of honey but it's oaty milkiness is what makes it brillinat! About 1/3 to an half porridge porridge oats, 2/3 or a half milk, microwave 4 mins, sticky yumminess!

Easy done ;) Nothing would make me give up dairy. I am the dairy queen. I go through a full pound of real butter by myself a week :o
    I have a theory that the crap they put into/process they put food through to make it low fat are shockingly bad for you. Full fat ftw :D

It's not so much full/low fat but the changing of the fat type in the manufacture of the pretend butters.

1lb a week that your K2 sorted ☺

What's K2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

What's K2?

A mountain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

What's K2?

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.ie/2008/06/vitamin-k2-menatetrenone-mk-4.html?m=1

Given your nationally I presume you have some fermented foods in your diet anyway, so your probably well covered before the 1lb of butter!

• Advertisement

Sourdough bread and yoghurt daily, sauerkraut and soured beets / gherkins sometimes, homebrew... well... also daily ;) On top of this loads of butter, mostly in low-sugar muffins :) Lets face it, I love fermentation products.

By the way - is the K2 vitamin present in fermented and then baked / cooked products?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Will I go for a 1.5k spin this afternoon or leave it for a decent spin tomorrow????

Year to date 2015

Distance 11,998.5 km
    Time 447h 54m
    Elev Gain 100,462 m

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

RobFowl wrote: »
    Will I go for a 1.5k spin this afternoon or leave it for a decent spin tomorrow????

Year to date 2015

Distance 11,998.5 km
    Time 447h 54m
    Elev Gain 100,462 m

Do both?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I thought its only me :o

You are not alone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I have the kids adding honey (acacia honey, made by the gods of the bee world)to all their cereal now, weetabix(yum), corn flakes, even cheerios and the likes.

No honey for kids under a year or so, though, it can carry botulism, I'm told.
    We're talking about the same stuff here, are we? White wobbly stuff with the square ridges???

Kind of like a bath sponge cooked in socks.
    AstraMonti wrote: »
    it's a known food for hangovers and after a long night

That's because the hangover backs away down your throat and flees, screaming.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭roverrules

Nice surprise this am, done twice in two days for speeding ( genuinely thought it was an 80 zone but speed cameras said 60). Paid up and got 6 points in total (first in 25 years of driving.
    Anyway two Garda letters in post, thought Fook what have I done ...
    Inside a letter saying 60 had no basis in law and cheques for 160 in total and removal of points.
    Happy days.
    Now what can I get for 160 ;)

Rainy day won't appreciate that. :)

Nope, it can be a pain watching out for all those things. Our youngest was diagnosed as lactose intolerant, what an absolute pain in the ass that is to manage. Thankfully he's developing a tolerance as he's getting older so we drip feed increasing amounts of food containing lactose to him, so far so good.

Honey contains spores of Clostridium Botulinum, which are harmless to older children and adults as they die in the stomach acids. Very young kids don't have adequate pH in their little tummies and can develop CB infection, very often fatal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Thats the spirit :)

OK.

:/

Shure I'll be dead soon.

Possibly a lot quicker when my missus see this...

#le_sigh

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Our youngest was diagnosed as lactose intolerant, what an absolute pain in the ass that is to manage. Thankfully he's developing a tolerance as he's getting older so we drip feed increasing amounts of food containing lactose to him, so far so good.

Can he have goat's milk? Used to be considered a great lung-strengthener and general builder-upper. I don't generally like goat's milk from the shops, but had some fresh recently and it was delish.

• Advertisement

Reading about Gallipoli at the moment. Anyone cycled from Suvla to Sedd el Bahr? About 30km.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

I made friends with the bonnet of a taxi this morning. Fun times. May have screwed up my wrist...
    Just in for 2 xrays. One on my wrist, the other on my ribs. The video of the crash is fun!

Sorry to hear about your mishap. What did the xrays show up? Are you allowed back on the bike (either by medical practitioners or significant others)?

More importantly, is the bike ok?!! ;)

I presume you will be sharing the aforementioned video with us shortly...........

Can he have goat's milk? Used to be considered a great lung-strengthener and general builder-upper. I don't generally like goat's milk from the shops, but had some fresh recently and it was delish.

He had some, and goats milk yoghurt, and reacted to it, which was another indicator that it was a lactose intolerance rather than a cows milk allergy before we got confirmation from some professor. It didn't taste great either.

Alpro has a kid specific soya alternative which he used for a long time, then all of a sudden lactose free cows milk became easily available, even Supervalu have their own branded stuff, and it tastes pretty much like ordinary milk.

The demand is obviously there for it too, by Sunday our local Supervalu has sold out of both their own and Avonmore's lactose free milk. When he was on the soya, we often had to ask the manager to get extra orders in, it flew off the shelf. Maybe we just live in a lactose intolerant black spot.

Huge chunks of the world are lactose intolerant - possibly more people than aren't. Irish people, back in the day, used to practically live on oatmeal and milk, but the milk was mostly soured into various yogurts and cheeses - "They feede most on Whitemeates, and esteem for a great daintie sower curds, vulgarly called by them Bonnaclabbe," says that old sowerpuss Fynes Moryson (whitemeats meaning milk products; Moryson is a typical helicoptyre journalyste of his time, and isn't greatly accurate - in fact, he's about as accurate about the Irish as Isis propagandists are about the west today, equally motivated by religious mania and hatred - but he gives an idea of the diet). I suppose 'Bonaclabber' is a combination of bánbiadh - whitemeats, or white foods, used for milk products, and clabair, used for milk thickened on a shallow dish, building up lots of goodygood microherd microbes for the tum.

Huge chunks of the world are lactose intolerant - possibly more people than aren't.

Do you have a link to a research about this? There has been lots of misinformation in this regard on the internet lately.

[edit]

Ok, found some info myself:
    A mutation which allowed adults to keep producing lactase emerged around 7000 years ago, and now 35 per cent of people can digest milk as adults – although there are marked geographical variations (see map below). In China and South-East Asia, more than 90 per cent of people are thought to be lactose intolerant, compared with between 2 and 20 per cent of those of northern European descent.

https://d1o50x50snmhul.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/30310202.jpg

but:
    people who genuinely can’t absorb lactose can drink moderate amounts of milk – up to around 250 millilitres – in a sitting without symptoms, and they may be able to drink twice this amount if it is spread throughout the day . They can also usually consume yoghurt and hard cheese without problems, as most of the lactose is broken down by bacteria during their production. But they should avoid goat’s, buffalo’s, sheep’s or yak’s milk, all of which contain similar levels of lactose to cow’s milk.

(https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn27938-everything-you-need-to-know-about-lactose-intolerance/)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Huge chunks of the world are lactose intolerant - possibly more people than aren't. Irish people, back in the day, used to practically live on oatmeal and milk, but the milk was mostly soured into various yogurts and cheeses - "They feede most on Whitemeates, and esteem for a great daintie sower curds, vulgarly called by them Bonnaclabbe," says that old sowerpuss Fynes Moryson (whitemeats meaning milk products; Moryson is a typical helicoptyre journalyste of his time, and isn't greatly accurate - in fact, he's about as accurate about the Irish as Isis propagandists are about the west today, equally motivated by religious mania and hatred - but he gives an idea of the diet). I suppose 'Bonaclabber' is a combination of bánbiadh - whitemeats, or white foods, used for milk products, and clabair, used for milk thickened on a shallow dish, building up lots of goodygood microherd microbes for the tum.

The Story of English by Robert McCrum et al. mentioned the existence of Bonnyclobber in Newfoundland (or Nova Scotia; can't remember) and said the Bonny was from "bainne". Can't remember what he said "Clobber" was from. He could be wrong too. There are some inaccuracies in the book.

Lactose tolerance/lactase persistence is more common than not in people of European descent (about 80%, I think).

tomasrojo wrote: »
    The Story of English by Robert McCrum et al. mentioned the existence of Bonnyclobber in Newfoundland (or Nova Scotia; can't remember) and said the Bonny was from "bainne". Can't remember what he said "Clobber" was from. He could be wrong too. There are some inaccuracies in the book.

Lactose tolerance/lactase persistence is more common than not in people of European descent (about 80%, I think).

I'd be inclined personally to think that bán and bainne might be related, but MacBain relates it to Old Irish banna, a drop, Old Slavic banja, a bath, etc, while he relates bán to various words for shining and light. Dunno if he's right, but sure he's the expert, not me!

I'd be inclined personally to think that bán and bainne might be related, but MacBain relates it to Old Irish banna, a drop, Old Slavic banja, a bath, etc, while he relates bán to various words for shining and light. Dunno if he's right, but sure he's the expert, not me!

This is starting to resemble Myles na gCopaleen's parodies of Father Dineen's dictionary, where a word can mean
    ‘a dead man’s spittle,’ or ‘the loneliness felt at cock crow,’ or ‘a disease of the third eyelid or nictitating membrane in cattle or horses,’ or ‘the bottom of a football’, or ‘a fool who is not entirely incapable of being useful’

Or as in Dineen, where gealach (known to most of us as the moon) means, if I remember right, the white circle in a half-boiled potato.

• Advertisement

Or as in Dineen, where gealach (known to most of us as the moon) means, if I remember right, the white circle in a half-boiled potato.

How often we've all gazed at just such a tater and longed for a pithy summary of our culinary failure.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement