Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Apparently according to the news BBC HD, a lot of the stuff in paris started after "Libya collapsed"

"Libya collapsed"

Did the ground fall from under it?

How did it collapse? earthquakes?

Was I too busy cycling to have miissed all this?

Grand.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

RobFowl wrote: »
    You're more than welcome :)

Looks like about 4 degrees at 08:30 tomorrow so its one to poke the nose out the window and look before committing to fully getting out of bed ....

I've to work tomorrow morning. A very slow and gentle roll in is planned if its to be cold. Though I imagine the Well travelled roads of Dublin 9/11 & 1 will be a little less Icy than North Co. Dublin

I nearly got taken out of it earlier by a taxi on my way to work this morn, the closest of close calls I've had without being hit. Instead of doing my "hey hand up, watch out like next time" gesture that I'd do in situation I rapped the back of with my palm. Not something I've ever done, and not something I should have done but when he stopped he genuinely didn't seem to realise how close he was to hitting me and began with verbal threats. If I can the your vehicle, it's close.

If I were his passenger I'd have gotten out.

I have his reg, taxi number and name but not sure what to be doing

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭WicklowTiger

lennymc wrote: »
    I have a problem. I'm struggling to find a reason to buy another bike. Help.

It's simple maths. The optimum number of bikes can be calculated by the the formula

n = x + 1

Where n represents the total number of bikes and x is the number of bikes you currently possess. Works every time!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It's simple maths. The optimum number of bikes can be calculated by the the formula

n = x + 1

Where n represents the total number of bikes and x is the number of bikes you currently possess. Works every time!
    Doesn't quite work when you have to add n<y+6 where y=the number of bikes you can stash out of sight of your other half. In my case y=12. Suspect y may be a bit lower for lenny as I'm guessing he does not have as many hidey holes and overseas bases in which to stash them as I do.....

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

lenny - one other option you may wish to explore:

"that tyre looks a bit flat - need a spare pair of wheels";
    a few days later
    "frameset's scratched - maybe time for a new one";
    after that
    "brakes not working properly - must replace groupset"
    etc.

Once you've replaced all those parts and added a few bits and pieces you can think about all those spares you now have and see if you can put them all together

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭WicklowTiger

Beasty wrote: »
    Doesn't quite work when you have to add n<y+6 where y=the number of bikes you can stash out of sight of your other half. In my case y=12. Suspect y may be a bit lower for lenny as I'm guessing he does not have as many hidey holes and overseas bases in which to stash them as I do.....

Sounds like you've taken it to the next level. I used to have a similar problem with computers and gadgets etc. I now have a software business! Bit extreme but problem solved! Needless to say we have to "test" our software on the latest devices all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

How the heck do you make porridge without it turning into a congealed lump.

I am Following the instructions and it turns into a lump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Podcast on urban life in US makes an astonishing point: working-class neighbourhoods there can see cycle lanes as "city trying to gentrify us out"

http://thefederalist.com/2015/11/19/the-urbanophile-illustrates-gentrification-infrastructure-and-the-nypd/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

bazermc wrote: »

Use more milk? In fairness though, people who don't like porridge compare it to wallpaper paste.

Buy this stuff as the packet is a milk measure too.

Leave in fridge for 10/15 minutes to let the milk soak in and microwave for two minutes and twenty seconds @ 800 I add an extra 20 because the fridge tends to make the bowl etc cool.

It's quite lovely as it is. Sadly it seems to have run out of Tesco/SuperValu/Dunnes near me.

I didn't eat that much during the year... or did I?:eek:

• Advertisement

Some people like their porridge in a lump; I recently had some in a Flemish house that was a big lump on a plate, with raisins in it. It was pretty nice. I normally make it more soupy, which is simply done by adding more water (and a dash of milk at the end), and a pinch of salt. Lidl and Aldi both have good porridge.

bazermc wrote: »

IF you ever buy quick oats or the like, keep the scoop that comes with it. 2 Scoops of your oats, then 5/6 water. Leave it over night in the fridge and If your doing it in Microwave then do 1 minute, stir, then check every 30 secs.

Otherwise first part, then do it in a pot, keep stirring. Add in a little milk or water if it's going the wrong way.

Honey and Jam too, and a banana. Oooh, i might have porridge for dinner now..

Dealz stock these and the unflavoured ones. 6 Sachets for €1.49. I keep some in work for when I'm rushed in the monring

200mm of water in Pyrex jug

Add porridge until you have about 5mm of water sat on top. Add sugar to taste (the Scots are obsessed with salt though)

Microwave for 2 mins

Add full far milk and stir thoroughly. Add more milk if required to smooth texture

Microwave for 1 minute and the repeat the previous step of stirring and adding milk

Microwave for 30s and then add enough milk to get it to just the texture you like (and stir it enough to ensure its the same throughout)

Pour/spoon into bowl.

Wash jug out and place in dishwasher

Take finished product into office (with spoon!)

Once proper skin has formed, get stuck in

Works every time for me.....

But if you microwave the sugar, the first few spoons won't be crunchy!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Does nobody else soak their oats overnight? I've always done it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Use more milk? In fairness though, people who don't like porridge compare it to wallpaper u .

Leave in fridge for 10/15 minutes to let the milk soak in and microwave for two minutes and twenty seconds @ 800 I add an extra 20 because the fridge tends to make the bowl etc cool.

It's quite lovely as it is. Sadly it seems to have run out of Tesco/SuperValu/Dunnes near me.

I didn't eat that much during the year... or did I?:eek:

Booo, we make great porridge in Ireland!

But if you microwave the sugar, the first few spoons won't be crunchy!
    I prefer the skin uncrunchy!
    Presume that's a tradition originating in a bygone age when people would have used raw oats. There's certainly no need to do that with the modern stuff that you buy in a supermarket

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Booo, we make great porridge in Ireland!
    I'm not convinced Ireland produces enough oats to satisfy the country's demand for porridge and suspect quite a lot of them are imported even by the "Irish" brands

Think Ireland produces enough water to do all the soaking required as mentioned above though....

Yup I do, saves a bit of time in the morning, in prep and cooking time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

40g of porridge
    100ml water
    100ml milk

2 min 20 sec in 900w microwave. Take out, stir and heat for another 40 seconds. Perfect every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Have a fry instead, much nicer :p

traprunner wrote: »
    40g of porridge
    100ml water
    100ml milk

2 min 20 sec in 900w microwave. Take out, stir and heat for another 40 seconds. Perfect every time.

Whereas it must take, oh, gosh, five minutes on the stove ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Ah, but microwaved porridge means no pan to clean, and this is time that can more pleasurably be spent arguing with people on the internet!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I hate porridge !
    Bland mulch with the appearance of infant ****e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

That's a bit difficult when I have it in work since I don't have access to a cooker :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Jeez yis are all doing it wrong.

1 mug of boiling water in a pot with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to boil, stir in 1/2 mug oats, reduce heat to min, wait 3 mins. Eat...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

RobFowl wrote: »
    I hate porridge !
    +1

It's the work of the devil. I haven't eaten it since I was old enough to say 'NO' and get away with it. Being forced to eat that obnoxious fare was the most traumatic part of my childhood. Yuck!

...And bad enough to have to eat it hot, my oul lad used to eat it late at night when it was cold and curdled after sitting in a pot all day. I think I'm going to be sick!

*Stomach heaves*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Jumbo oats in the microwave with soy milk and a dash of maple syrup before serving. Mmm-mm.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

What's all this water malarkey. Cretins.

Milk and more milk. Never understood this thing of making porridge with water.

I rarely have it but when I do, it's with milk, have some respect for yourselves.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement