Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

manafana wrote: »
    Hate to hear people stop riding because of kids, have others on here managed to handle having young children while still getting out once week just assume it takes planning and depends on parenting styles i assume?
    Depends on both parents to be honest. I could get out for either Saturday or Sunday morning spins but really just don't want to. I knowpeople who get up at 4 in the morning and get back for 8 so they don't feel they have unfairly loaded the other parent. The truth is, bar work, if one parent wants to get out for a few hours on one day of the weekend, the only thing stopping them is the other parent or guilt at leaving the other parent, or more importantly losing time you won't get back.

This said, only 3 more years till he will be able to go out for track, then all my problems are solved.

Long story short, if you want to get out, you'll get out, if you don't, you won't. Don't blame the kids or your partner.
    Alek wrote: »

I'd buy a new pair of pants first.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

CramCycle wrote: »
    I'd buy a new pair of pants first.

His friends seem to have learned how to swear from children's television.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

RobFowl wrote: »

12 a much more even and rounder looking number than 11 as well ;)
    Also sounds very "imperial" - much better than the prior decimalisation adopted:)

If car adverts were honest:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I like it, whole grouppo looks good too..

I like how the shifters can shift up three speeds in one go. It's as if there were too many gears back there and we might want to skip one or two...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I like it, whole grouppo looks good too..

But it’s not a prime number!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

But it’s not a prime number!

Nor a palindrome. The next possible palindromic prime number of cogs is 101, and that's at least a decade away.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,545 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm sure someone has to have posted that 'five blades!' onion article in relation to this before.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,545 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Weepsie wrote: »
    Nor a palindrome. The next possible palindromic prime number of cogs is 101, and that's at least a decade away.
    there are eight possible palindromic numbers before we hit 101; starting at 22...

there are eight possible palindromic numbers before we hit 101; starting at 22...

Not a prime though

• Advertisement

arse, i missed that bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

i'm sure someone has to have posted that 'five blades!' onion article in relation to this before.
    I was thinking about that. I was also thinking the next iteration will have to be two extra gears, or some way to get around superstitions.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I was thinking about that. I was also thinking the next iteration will have to be two extra gears, or some way to get around superstitions.

There's already a 1x13 that's been done albeit not commercially, and Shimano patented a 14 cog set up nearly 20 years ago.

Wait till they bring out a CVTinternal hub gear that uses how much effort you are putting into spinning to decide what gear you need to be in. Probably need a powermeter built in in some way.

I've been predicting a combination of electronic gearing, power meters, HR monitors, and GPS data along with training plans where your bike will select the right great for you based on what your aim is, whether you're coming to a hill, and will shout at you to pick up the pace when necessary. Or else call the ambulance on you and lead it to your exact location when you collapse from exhaustion.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

CramCycle wrote: »
    Not a prime though

But 10 wasn't either - nor 9 or 8. Do you really want to go to 13?

I've been predicting a combination of electronic gearing, power meters, HR monitors, and GPS data along with training plans where your bike will select the right great for you based on what your aim is, whether you're coming to a hill, and will shout at you to pick up the pace when necessary. Or else call the ambulance on you and lead it to your exact location when you collapse from exhaustion.
    To complete the setup maybe a robot to do the riding. No need for ambulances, and hopefully more mechanics around, putting paramedics out of a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Beasty wrote: »
    So whatever happened to your Kingdom?

I got bored with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Beasty wrote: »
    So whatever happened to your Kingdom?

What in the name of Jebus...???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Already taken

• Advertisement

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    What in the name of Jebus...???
    He used to be quite ambitious....

compared himself with Springsteen at one stage

....seems to have reverted now though

Don't ask him about his jelly habit though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

#newbikeexcuses

gplus226602079.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

1a71ed51fe92af51163d29d37c302f1a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

buffalo wrote: »
    #newbikeexcuses

The state of the cassette, that's enough of an excuse.

I was stripping down one of the kids bikes over the weekend taking advantage of the relatively decent weather. Was about to do it on the deck before I realised I'd drop every nut and bolt down between the gaps.

Once the bike was stripped I moved the bike stand over to the decking. A bolt instantly popped out of it and down the bloody deck. Can't even see it to fish it out with a magnet on a string. At least it doesn't seem essential, nor was it part of a bike.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Less that 200 posts to go.....

How about "When are we getting 13?"

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

buffalo wrote: »
    #newbikeexcuses

How'd ya manage that?

i'm not quite sure of the purpose of this type of sign; you could take it to suggest that if you want to get to ballymun on a bike, you head straight on, instead of taking a different route another mode of transport would imply. however, where the sign is, it's pointing up the main road to ballymun - ballymun road - and there's no other route you'd take regardless of mode of transport.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3784568,-6.2672912,3a,75y,16.66h,88.48t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1swm9XPO5D0ARdUoSxkkJvEg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Registered Users Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

i'm not quite sure of the purpose of this type of sign; you could take it to suggest that if you want to get to ballymun on a bike, you head straight on, instead of taking a different route another mode of transport would imply. however, where the sign is, it's pointing up the main road to ballymun - ballymun road - and there's no other route you'd take regardless of mode of transport.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3784568,-6.2672912,3a,75y,16.66h,88.48t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1swm9XPO5D0ARdUoSxkkJvEg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
    It's one of a series of signs, just letting those following them know they're still on the right track (like temporary follow diversion signs).

Here's the first on Botanic Rd, telling cyclists to keep left rather than head up Mobhi Rd. if they want Ballymun. I suppose it's an easier route than having to tackle crossing two lanes at Mobhi Rd. > Griffith Ave > Ballymun Rd.

It's odd the planners want cyclists to avoid one section of Mobhi Rd. by going around by the Botanic Gardens and then right onto Mobhi Dr and then going contra flow on the path from there. What you do from Homefarm Rd. is up to you though!

ah, that makes a bit more sense. i'd not spotted that sign on botanic road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

i'm not quite sure of the purpose of this type of sign;

That's what I always wonder passing this: https://goo.gl/maps/MgVP5K4sKr92

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement