Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,819 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

new 105:

i really don't like the look of the RD. it looks like something that was designed in the 80s to look like it should be from the year 2000.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The 11 speed cassette that goes onto a 10 speed hub is probably the best thing in that. Annoying for people who have changed wheels though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Weepsie wrote: »
    The 11 speed cassette that goes onto a 10 speed hub is probably the best thing in that. Annoying for people who have changed wheels though

I just sold a pair of back up wheels because they were 10 speed. Damn it all to hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭buffalo

Anyone know when winter is due to end this year?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,819 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

was a bit nippy this morning indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I was content that I was not being rained down upon and arriving in work soaked. Little victories.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

buffalo wrote: »

Saw a post on the data collation under the premis of social media site, something along the lines of:

"January 74th."

Idleater wrote: »
    Saw a post on the data collation under the premis of social media site, something along the lines of:

"January 74th."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

It won't until we appease the Weather Gods. Jon Snow has to kill a Zombie Dragon.... or we throw Leo into a Volcano. I'm sketchy on the exact details.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

daragh_ wrote: »
    It won't until we appease the Weather Gods. Jon Snow has to kill a Zombie Dragon.... or we throw Leo into a Volcano. I'm sketchy on the exact details.

Surely a driving of the Healy-Raes into the sea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭guanciale

Similar questions asked on weather forum a few weeks back and some of the theories are grim.
    Apparently a mini ice age is possible. This is a prolonged winter (c.6-8 months per annum for up to a decade).

Related to lack of sunspot activities and is something that has apparently occured in Europe every 100-101 years. Apparently records for past four centuries show this.

I really hope this is a horseshyte theory. I am terrified that it is not.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,770 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It ends today. Spring is from tomorrow, until the end of June. Summer is the week after that, then a very cold, wet and windy Autumn will arrive. The good news though is the sun always shines for the Dublin Track GP, which is the back-end of that first week in July...

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭gmacww

new 105:

i really don't like the look of the RD. it looks like something that was designed in the 80s to look like it should be from the year 2000.

In general I prefer the look of the current 105. Possibly with the exception of the calipers in this iteration. They take most of the design from dura-ace and they do look great. Everything else I'd prefer current gen. Especially the levers. Jesus they look awful.

i'm just showing my age, but i much prefer the look of the 15 year old 9-speed 105 i have on the old bike, to the 105 i have on my 3 year old bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Out of left field question.

Has anyone had experiences of using Sealskinz socks with Doc Martins

Surely a driving of the Healy-Raes into the sea
    The amount of hot air, it would do untold damage to coast lines around the world as the rate of melting of the ice caps would increase substantially.
    i'm just showing my age, but i much prefer the look of the 15 year old 9-speed 105 i have on the old bike, to the 105 i have on my 3 year old bike.
    9 speed 105 was the pinnacle of geared cycling technology, I don't care what anyone else says.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

29716257_164312297617043_3275977779513917440_n.jpg

Scheldeprijs yesterday. Looks bad, but in the end it seemed like the Twingo came off worst.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,770 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Scheldeprijs yesterday. Looks bad, but in the end it seemed like the Twingo came off worst.
    Hope the guy coming down the cycle path managed to avoid the carnage. There's at least one racer heading in his direction, head down, presumably trying to clip in on a bike that may not be 100%....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Wonder will the organiser pay for the damage to her car?

Seven Worlds will Collide

Wonder will the organiser pay for the damage to her car?

Presumably would be covered under the events insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,655 ✭✭✭54and56

Hi all,

I don't want to start a new thread for this so apologies if this isn't where I should be posting.

Myself and my wife fancy cycling the Wild Atlantic way from Donegal to Cork over a number of 3-5 day long weekend type breaks. We'd be taking it handy enough so 100km to 120km a day max. 2,500kms / 100km per day = 25 days broken up over 6-7 long weekends over say a 2 year period. That would be the plan staying in commercial accommodation along the way, preferably hotels (not so many in the rural areas), guest houses, pubs with accommodation and if all else fails B&B's but preferably not.

We're based in Dublin so I was hoping there would be a well proven model for doing this i.e. drive to Heuston staion with the bikes and bags. Get the train to the point closest to your departure point along the WAW and then meander along for the # of days planned before diverting to the nearest train station and back to Heuston to load up the bikes and home.

Anyone here done anything like this or can recommend some resource or blog which might help me avoid having to re-invent the wheel here?

Go easy on me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Hi all,

I don't want to start a new thread for this so apologies if this isn't where I should be posting.

Myself and my wife fancy cycling the Wild Atlantic way from Donegal to Cork over a number of 3-5 day long weekend type breaks. We'd be taking it handy enough so 100km to 120km a day max. 2,500kms / 100km per day = 25 days broken up over 6-7 long weekends over say a 2 year period. That would be the plan staying in commercial accommodation along the way, preferably hotels (not so many in the rural areas), guest houses, pubs with accommodation and if all else fails B&B's but preferably not.

We're based in Dublin so I was hoping there would be a well proven model for doing this i.e. drive to Heuston staion with the bikes and bags. Get the train to the point closest to your departure point along the WAW and then meander along for the # of days planned before diverting to the nearest train station and back to Heuston to load up the bikes and home.

Anyone here done anything like this or can recommend some resource or blog which might help me avoid having to re-invent the wheel here?

Go easy on me!!

Another poster just started a very similar thread, maybe chime in there:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057856800

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Completely off topic.. but a couple of months ago I started my 10th year in Ireland.
    Thanks to this forum, and this forum alone, cycling became a huge part of life and I managed to see the best of this beautiful island in the best of ways, in two wheels. I saw amazing small roads and views that it's nearly impossible to see in other ways and I took place in some great events all around the country, from the very north to the very south and all around.

High notes:
    * First ever group ride with niceonetom and caro. They drag me up the enniskerry and I thought I was going to die
    * First ever Wicklow 200
    * My first race with orwell
    * My first open race with orwell
    * Completing Raid De Pyreenes

Low notes:
    * Fecking Blorg dragging me to Larragh in torrential rain in ONLY my third ride. I spent the rest of the day trying to get warm.
    * Night ride in the winter in wicklow. Freezind hands, wind, rain, cold and a puncture. I think it took me close to 45mins to change the fecking tube in the night.

Life now has changed a lot and with two kids the time for cycling has vanished, but seriously, thanks for everything guys. Also FU guys for making me spend so much money in bikes.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Yesterday morning:

447473.jpg

Yesterday afternoon:

447474.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Saw this cool quote from John Lennon

“As a kid I had a dream — I wanted to own my own #bicycle. When I got the #bike I must have been the happiest boy in Liverpool, maybe the world. I insisted on taking mine indoors and the first night I even kept it in my bed.”

https://twitter.com/EuCyclistsFed/status/982166146420912128

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Completely off topic.. but a couple of months ago I started my 10th year in Ireland.
    Thanks to this forum, and this forum alone, cycling became a huge part of life and I managed to see the best of this beautiful island in the best of ways, in two wheels. I saw amazing small roads and views that it's nearly impossible to see in other ways and I took place in some great events all around the country, from the very north to the very south and all around.

High notes:
    * First ever group ride with niceonetom and caro. They drag me up the enniskerry and I thought I was going to die
    * First ever Wicklow 200
    * My first race with orwell
    * My first open race with orwell
    * Completing Raid De Pyreenes

Low notes:
    * Fecking Blorg dragging me to Larragh in torrential rain in ONLY my third ride. I spent the rest of the day trying to get warm.
    * Night ride in the winter in wicklow. Freezind hands, wind, rain, cold and a puncture. I think it took me close to 45mins to change the fecking tube in the night.

Life now has changed a lot and with two kids the time for cycling has vanished, but seriously, thanks for everything guys. Also FU guys for making me spend so much money in bikes.

Without AstraMonti there would be no Boards Evil. So now you all know who to blame. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

I managed to see the best of this beautiful island in the best of ways, in two wheels. I saw amazing small roads and views that it's nearly impossible to see in other ways and I took place in some great events all around the country, from the very north to the very south and all around.

If you are ever South give me a shout and I'll give a few more gems.

There is still a pack of mountain lamb chops with your name on it!

Thanks to this forum, and this forum alone, cycling became a huge part of life....

It's crazy how time flies. I was doing the first round of the Orwell league last night and I realised it was my tenth year doing it. But reading your post reminded me that it's been ten years (I think?) since I went on my first Boards spin and, over the course of that year, met a lot of the people I still cycle with today.

Christ you're really making me feel old now. It was 7 and a half years ago that we did a spin from the lair around North County Dublin to celebrate commiserate over a certain anniversary

Oh! to be 20 again....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

RobFowl wrote: »
    Saw this cool quote from John Lennon

“As a kid I had a dream — I wanted to own my own #bicycle. When I got the #bike I must have been the happiest boy in Liverpool, maybe the world. I insisted on taking mine indoors and the first night I even kept it in my bed.”

https://twitter.com/EuCyclistsFed/status/982166146420912128

John Lennon was using hashtags back in the day?!?!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement