Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Beasty wrote: »
    Oh! to be 20 again....

....O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,
    Consider Beasty, who was once handsome and tall as you....

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,766 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    John Lennon was using hashtags back in the day?!?!
    He was bigger than Jesus - obviously he had insight, and indeed could start fashions that were way ahead of his time

• Registered Users Posts: 9,149 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Hey man it was the 60s, I'm sure he tried lots of things.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Fixed that for ye.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,775 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i just had someone call around to the house to pick up a petrol strimmer i did not want (was foisted on me by a neighbour) and we ended up chatting about bikes. turns out he has a mercian in the attic he crashed decades ago (he's probably in his late 50s, and built the bike when he was 20) and was warned by someone in rutland cycles that the downtube was probably going to fail.
    he didn't know that there's at least one person in ireland who can repair such things, but i guess a downtube replacement is not a cheap affair?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I haven't had any dealings with Mercian cycles personally but I'd contact them directly and ask about repairing the frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

A bike of that vintage would likely have metal folded over the joins, it certainly wouldn't be an easy task.

I took a spin to Howth and back last night and then attended a neighbours wake, re-hydrating with Jameson was not my best move. Arrived to work an hour late and pissed. I am never letting anybody pour drink for me again. Then I read all the madness that Conor McGregor has been up to

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Weird, on the touch site this page has 9907 before this post, on the desktop one it's 9788

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,775 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

maybe the touch site count includes deleted posts?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Either way we and inching inexorably towards a new new name ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Ryath

RobFowl wrote: »

Is there going to be a poll on it or is it just going to be Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part III?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,149 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Ryath wrote: »
    Is there going to be a poll on it or is it just going to be Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part III?
    Depends on how nice RobFowl is to Beasty.

Depends on how nice RobFowl is to Beasty.

Party bus III it is then :(

I read that and could hear Carlton Kirby in my head :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i just had someone call around to the house to pick up a petrol strimmer i did not want (was foisted on me by a neighbour) and we ended up chatting about bikes. turns out he has a mercian in the attic he crashed decades ago (he's probably in his late 50s, and built the bike when he was 20) and was warned by someone in rutland cycles that the downtube was probably going to fail.
    he didn't know that there's at least one person in ireland who can repair such things, but i guess a downtube replacement is not a cheap affair?
    talk to mercian they were always great when I lived in derby many moons ago

cheers - mailed him with a link to mercian's website earlier based on NamelessPhil's suggestion. they quote £120 for downtube replacement, but i guess that's without any other work such as paint.

he was quite interested to hear that my newest bike uses reynolds tubing; he'd kinda assumed that was something from his youth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭Plastik

I haven't had any dealings with Mercian cycles personally but I'd contact them directly and ask about repairing the frame.

I had a non-Mercian fork repaired (straightened and strengthened) by Mercian a few weeks ago and was very happy with their service.

Mercian bikes themselves are absolutely beautiful and even and old damaged one deserved to be restored.

i'd have offered to buy his bike only he's probably half a foot taller than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭koutoubia

it's been ten years (I think?) since I went on my first Boards spin
    And what moniker were you posting under ten years ago?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Saw this cool quote from John Lennon

“As a kid I had a dream — I wanted to own my own #bicycle. When I got the #bike I must have been the happiest boy in Liverpool, maybe the world. I insisted on taking mine indoors and the first night I even kept it in my bed.”

Think this was it:
    9b03553d38193be6631d4664dad14059.jpg

It's the bike you see in a few photos of him about that age. A Raleigh from what I recall, and on the overwhelming balance of probability for an English boy immediately post-WWII.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

koutoubia wrote: »
    And what moniker were you posting under ten years ago?

El Tonto!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Hate to hear people stop riding because of kids, have others on here managed to handle having young children while still getting out once week just assume it takes planning and depends on parenting styles i assume?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,681 ✭✭✭✭dahat

manafana wrote: »
    Hate to hear people stop riding because of kids, have others on her managed to handle having young children while still getting out once week just assume it takes planning and on parenting styles i assume?

Agreed, while circumstances can change significantly with kids (I have 2), a person always needs time to reflect and clear the head, the weekly bike spin can help someone in so many ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

dahat wrote: »
    Agreed, while circumstances can change significantly with kids (I have 2), a person always needs time to reflect and clear the head, the weekly bike spin can help someone in so many ways.

Yeah i find it easier to understand when it becomes three as one parent runs out of hands :)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,766 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Raam wrote: »
    El Tonto!
    So whatever happened to your Kingdom?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Next round of the arms race begins - Campag 12 speed Super/Record.

Just need a moderate lotto win I suppose

http://hub.chainreactioncycles.com/latest-news/campagnolo-reveal-worlds-first-12-speed-road-groupset/

Seven Worlds will Collide

good god that's an ugly RD.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

• Advertisement

good god that's an ugly RD.

I like it, whole grouppo looks good too..

12 a much more even and rounder looking number than 11 as well ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement