Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

nee wrote: »
    One of my friends got the public art commission for the new place, I missed the opening and now you can't get in to see it boo!

This secure bike parking, would it be reachable to the general public by any chance?...

Afraid not, staff or student card needed!

If you want to see the new building you could express interest in doing a course here and get a tour ;)

https://www.rcsi.com/dublin/undergraduate/meet-rcsi/rcsi-campus-tour

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

nee wrote: »
    This secure bike parking, would it be reachable to the general public by any chance?...

Wouldn't be very secure then if it were to be accessible to the great unwashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

"Blue Bike" sounds like a condition you'd get from not getting out on enough spins.
    There are, I'm told, a few towns in the USA called "Blue Ball". I think some people wanted relief from all the Bethlehems and Jerusalems in New England. And relief of another kind, potentially.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

colm18 wrote: »
    Afraid not, staff or student card needed!

If you want to see the new building you could express interest in doing a course here and get a tour ;)

https://www.rcsi.com/dublin/undergraduate/meet-rcsi/rcsi-campus-tour

Oooh I guess I could want to do any number of things...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

tomasrojo wrote: »
    There are, I'm told, a few towns in the USA called "Blue Ball". I think some people wanted relief from all the Bethlehems and Jerusalems in New England. And relief of another kind, potentially.
    One in Co. Offaly too it seems. Better than coming from Nobber, Co. Meath I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭Ryath

One in Co. Offaly too it seems. Better than coming from Nobber, Co. Meath I suppose.

Or Muff, Co. Donnegal

rqNX0nRu_400x400.jpg

From the Talk page of that Wikipedia entry:
    This is hanging by the side of the road in Blue Ball. Anybody know how old it is, how it got there etcetera. (NO smart-ass trolling tyvm)
    280px-The_Blue_Ball.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

My bike in blueball, I'd done some serious mileage that week and the name was fitting.

Blueball.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭Ryath

My bike in blueball, I'd done some serious mileage that week and the name was fitting.

Blueball.PNG

Was actually our last stop before Mullingar on the Easter Fleche a few years ago. Had around 400k done with another 50 to do!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There's a road in the UK called Bell End that this week was allowed keep its name

https://news.sky.com/story/rude-street-bell-end-will-not-have-name-changed-11326278

• Registered Users Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭dahat

The Mrs has booked a week away in Portugal this summer for the family and as with most cyclists I'm wondering could I swing a bike spin or two while I'm there (she doesn't know yet)!!

Has anyone cycled here or hired bikes from locally? Is it a suitable area for some cycling?

We are staying in Praia du Rocha, Algrave Mor apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I am certainly suffering from blueball syndrome. Haven't been out on the bike in months due to a part time masters and a new arrival. I think my summer of cycling is ruined (not by the new arrival because I'd give up anything for him). I had hoped to do the Wicklow 200 this year but I won't even be fit for the 100. College assignments run into the start of June too :(

I was up at stupid o'clock for the F1 this morning with fuk intention of going cycling after, it was just too miserable for me at around 9ish. I need to get the bad weather bike reassembled

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I'll be spending the May Bank holiday in Sligo with the Mrs. Does anyone know if there are greenway type cycles to be had with rentals?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Took the Luas into town and back today, it's no wonder Dublin people won't leave the car at home if this is the alternative. Either the standard of driving is dropping or there are maintenance concerns, I was flung around the place all the way in and all the way back

school boy, bet u stood facing frontwards or backwards, mostly no issue when u stand sideways,

I was up at stupid o'clock for the F1 this morning with fuk intention of going cycling after, it was just too miserable for me at around 9ish. I need to get the bad weather bike reassembled

Saturday was fun and dirty, but this morning was dank hard to get out in

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

Spotted this in a pub in Wicklow, reminded me of the 'cyclists collided with a car' reports we often read.

"Struck by tree while horse-riding"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'll be spending the May Bank holiday in Sligo with the Mrs. Does anyone know if there are greenway type cycles to be had with rentals?

Not a Greenway but Sligo town to strandhill has an on road cycle path most of the way. Lovely cafe and good pub in strandhill too

Plenty of signposted cycle ways on the Sligo town side of Benbulbin too on the way to Glencar waterfall if I recall correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

The thread was locked, but the IT have a follow-up to the hit and run in Clontarf a few years ago. His wife went back to work as a florist to help her cope and find some happiness:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/hit-and-run-rebuilding-a-life-after-cyclist-husband-s-death-1.3462488

• Advertisement

buffalo wrote: »
    The thread was locked, but the IT have a follow-up to the hit and run in Clontarf a few years ago. His wife went back to work as a florist to help her cope and find some happiness:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/hit-and-run-rebuilding-a-life-after-cyclist-husband-s-death-1.3462488

This is insane, firstly the manner he was hit, secondly someone with four previous convictions (far too easy for people to stay driving), the original sentence just 2 and half yrs (6yrs half suspended in end), the usual bull that the car killed him not a person,

In all this is main reason im pro self drive, and all cars having computers on board, hopefully move to a time where a banned driver can't jump in a car.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

manafana wrote: »
    This is insane, firstly the manner he was hit, secondly someone with four previous convictions (far too easy for people to stay driving), the original sentence just 2 and half yrs (6yrs half suspended in end), the usual bull that the car killed him not a person,

15, not four previous convictions

CramCycle wrote: »
    15, not four previous convictions

four driving convictions i should say, insane really.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

four driving convictions i should say, insane really.

I misread it, either way, someone who should not have been on the road, or possibly out in society at the time, lovely. She is a more forgiving person than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Would this be suitable to use on my bike chain?

Vel wrote: »
    Would this be suitable to use on my bike chain?
    Probably ok, provided you clean the chain and relube frequently. Lubes made specifically for chains are better. I've used 3-in-1 at various time when I didn't have more expensive oils, and the main problem is that any rain washes it out and rusting starts, as it's a very light oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Probably ok, provided you clean the chain and relube frequently. Lubes made specifically for chains are better. I've used 3-in-1 at various time when I didn't have more expensive oils, and the main problem is that any rain washes it out and rusting starts, as it's a very light oil.

I'll do as you say with this oil this time and buy the proper stuff next time.

There is a strange yellow thing in the sky today radiating a bit of warmth. I am hopeful it will stay around and we can say goodbye to the rain and therefore my cheap oil will stay put!

Thanks!

Good article about clothing innovations created by Victorian ladies who wanted to cycle and faced outcries about immodesty:
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2018/apr/16/the-ingenious-cyclewear-victorian-women-invented-to-navigate-social-mores
    Importantly, they remind us that not all inventions are told through loud or heroic narratives. These inventors put in an awful lot of work to not be seen.

school boy, bet u stood facing frontwards or backwards, mostly no issue when u stand sideways,

I was actually leaning on the cushion bit at the side so standing sideways. Was the same last night, some kid actually fell of the seat coming out of James' and heading towards Rialto.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Vel wrote: »
    There is a strange yellow thing in the sky today radiating a bit of warmth. I am hopeful it will stay around and we can say goodbye to the rain ...

I believe that's the fabled daystar, it's rumoured to holiday in our northern climes sometimes for as much as a week at a time...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement