Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts (+T120 onwards) Autumn/Winter 2015 - see Mod Note post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

GFS pretty consistent in the past few runs regarding the development of a Greenland high and bitter Northerly flow at +300 hrs. However, it is so deep in FI that there isn't much point discussing it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

patneve2 wrote: »
    GFS pretty consistent in the past few runs regarding the development of a Greenland high and bitter Northerly flow at +300 hrs. However, it is so deep in FI that there isn't much point discussing it yet.

Seems to be slightly slipping away in the latest run, however back in '10 the GFS called it long before any other models did so we'll see :D

EDIT: Once again, is anyone else a total hypocrite when it comes to FI? When we get epic charts like last night, I'm like "Yay, sure how bad can FI be anyway?" whereas when it starts falling apart like it is now I'm like "Pah, it's only FI, who even pays attention to that sh!te" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Seems to be slightly slipping away in the latest run, however back in '10 the GFS called it long before any other models did so we'll see :D

EDIT: Once again, is anyone else a total hypocrite when it comes to FI? When we get epic charts like last night, I'm like "Yay, sure how bad can FI be anyway?" whereas when it starts falling apart like it is now I'm like "Pah, it's only FI, who even pays attention to that sh!te" :D

I don't think it's falling apart. You are never going to get the same output at 300+ hours run after run. The fact that there has been three similar motherly outcomes in a row now at that extreme range is interesting but almost certainly just coincidental since there is little support from the ensembles and...300+ hours is an awfully long time away from a model to predict the numerous hoops that have to be jumped through to get a cold spell here. We've seen cold spells get watered down to damp squibs at under 120 hours, within the reliable timeframe. 300+ hours is absolute cloud cuckoo land and should only ever be looked at for fun, no matter what it's showing. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Hooter23

The fact that there has been three similar motherly outcomes

Sounds nice:pac:

I don't think it's falling apart. You are never going to get the same output at 300+ hours run after run. The fact that there has been three similar motherly outcomes in a row now at that extreme range is interesting but almost certainly just coincidental since there is little support from the ensembles and...300+ hours is an awfully long time away from a model to predict the numerous hoops that have to be jumped through to get a cold spell here. We've seen cold spells get watered down to damp squibs at under 120 hours, within the reliable timeframe. 300+ hours is absolute cloud cuckoo land and should only ever be looked at for fun, no matter what it's showing. ;)

When I say falling apart, I mean that the high is still there but it's stopped being a block, in that it's being swept away by the next system on the polar vortex conveyor belt.

They're saying on Netweather that this year has had a particularly strong start to the polar vortex and that it would take something stronger than a regular block / SSW to disrupt it properly...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Nice looking jet-stream, would bring a nice blast of Arctic air... Only 360hrs away, sure that's nothing :)!!!

hgt300.png

Snow risk chart, 2 weeks away. You could almost bet your house that this will come off:rolleyes::pac:

uksnowrisk.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭B17G

Has this ensemble started the Christmas boozing season a tad early I wonder? Nuclear blast conditions at +132 hrs with the low deepening even further by +144......

370237.png
    370238.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

80knot+ gusts into NW Ireland

ECM1-168.GIF?30-0

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

This horror show is still the best I've seen. 2 years ago, so don't get excited about a large part of Scotland getting demolished :D

uWxyMGT.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭highdef

Latest GFS has done a complete turnaround.....kinda expected really!!! It's showing temperatures getting close to the mid teens in mid December. On the upside, I'm saving a fortune on heating this year!

• Advertisement

highdef wrote: »
    Latest GFS has done a complete turnaround.....kinda expected really!!! It's showing temperatures getting close to the mid teens in mid December. On the upside, I'm saving a fortune on heating this year!

The 18Z GFS has significant differences to the 12Z GFS as early as 96 hours. So no surprise at all that 200 hours beyond that is looking totally different. All these changes have knock on effects that snowball the further into the future you go.

I call this one Barney's Revenge. Everyone that mocked his name, watch out...

barn2.jpg

uzIMRtq.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

GFS out to 204. Let me be the first one to say "undercut" on this the first day of winter!! :rolleyes:

gfs-0-204.png?6

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: I have moved a number of recent posts, in relation to Friday's potential weather, into the Winter Weather discussion thread. Friday, i.e. 48 hours away, is not exactly FI!!! :)

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Mod Note: I have moved a number of recent posts, in relation to Friday's potential weather, into the Winter Weather discussion thread. Friday, i.e. 48 hours away, is not exactly FI!!! :)

Kinda wish it was though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

The ECM has been a horror show lately so this is a pleasant surprise, not a very organised looking PV if you ask me. :)
    edit: no wonder its called FI !! - from 1035 to 970 south of Iceland in 24 hrs!

ECH1-216.GIF?02-0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Whilst the outlook could be alot better in the near term if you like proper winter weather, the extended outlook is not without interest.

FI on the GFS and The ECM to an extent has been improving over the past few days with hints at Greenland/Arctic height rises and never at any stage has the output shown a definite organisation of the Polar Vortex as we move through December, which can only be a good sign. No definite indication we are going to see a cold spell just yet but I've a feeling we will be seeing much better charts early next week based on current FI output.

ECM not showing much organisation of the PV here-

ECH1-192.GIF?04-12

Here's an example of the promising GFS FI charts from the 00z Run today.

gfsnh-0-324.png?0

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Whilst the outlook could be alot better in the near term if you like proper winter weather, the extended outlook is not without interest.

FI on the GFS and The ECM to an extent has been improving over the past few days with hints at Greenland/Arctic height rises and never at any stage has the output shown a definite organisation of the Polar Vortex as we move through December, which can only be a good sign. No definite indication we are going to see a cold spell just yet but I've a feeling we will be seeing much better charts early next week based on current FI output.

ECM not showing much organisation of the PV here-

ECH1-192.GIF?04-12

Here's an example of the promising GFS FI charts from the 00z Run today.

gfsnh-0-324.png?0

Apologies if this is a daft question but can you me why no pv organisation is good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Apologies if this is a daft question but can you me why no pv organisation is good?

Well when the Polar Vortex is organised, Atlantic westerlies generally dominate the weather here with very little prospect of that changing suddenly. At least in the current setup with some amplification we can see short cold spells developing. The prospect of a proper cold spell whilst still unlikely is also much more possible than if we had a highly organised Vortex over the Arctic. Its also a better starting position to be in if we are to see any stratospheric warmings this winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Well when the Polar Vortex is organised, Atlantic westerlies generally dominate the weather here with very little prospect of that changing suddenly. At least in the current setup with some amplification we can see short cold spells developing. The prospect of a proper cold spell whilst still unlikely is also much more possible than if we had a highly organised Vortex over the Arctic. Its also a better starting position to be in if we are to see any stratospheric warmings this winter.

Right ............... so bugger off PV!! Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

The ECM ensemble out to 15 days is showing nothing in the way of cold. Pure +NAO all the way.

Average 500-1000 thickness (colour), 500 hPa height (average and standard deviation (dotted))

ec-ens_nat_gh500mean_gh500std_thk500mean_2015120412_360.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

THE ECM has a deep depression over Ireland next Sunday. The colours are pressure changes, with the west coast seeing a 41-hPa drop from Saturday!

ecm0125_nat_msl_msl-msl24_2015120600_180.png
    ecm0125_nat_msl_t850_6urk_2015120600_168.jpg
    ecm0125_nat_4panel1_2015120600_180.png

GFS and ECM toying with some HP and a sliding low. Still too much required at that stages. But changes from direct Atlantic hits is nice too see.

ecmt850.240.png

gens-19-1-300_oma8.png
    gens-19-2-300_mms8.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Nice blocking high at the end of the 06z run... 100% will happen of course :rolleyes::pac:

gensnh-0-1-372_eaj2.png

gensnh-0-0-372_nav0.png

gens-3-1-300_yul8.png
    gens-3-2-300_gdg3.png

Some big changes, and not to far away.....
    Oh the suspense

Nabber wrote: »
    Some big changes, and not to far away.....
    Oh the suspense

Just cherrypicking individual GEFS members showing things that probably won't happen. :P

Anyone for the Christmas Eve ice day with snow showers?

gens-18-1-384_lvl6.png

We've seen it pop up a few times in the GEFS but it's appeared in the operational run now.

2ItV2ms.png
    y11pArD.png

RG0BS1U.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

We've seen it pop up a few times in the GEFS but it's appeared in the operational run now.

2ItV2ms.png
    y11pArD.png

RG0BS1U.gif

Was just about to comment on that chart...NE to N gale with rain turning to snow - would be amazing

Advertisement