Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts (+T120 onwards) Autumn/Winter 2015 - see Mod Note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Looks like this will be the end of wintry FI charts for the foreseeable future again.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Looks like this will be the end of wintry FI charts for the foreseeable future again.

Why why

cfs-0-930_idz1.png
    deflated-santa.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

cfs-0-930_idz1.png
    deflated-santa.jpg

Warm or cold

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Darwin

UK met office is not too hopeful of cold in the immediate future, westerly zonality all the way for the immediate outlook (possibly all the way to January) with the odd Polar Maritime incursion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

cfs-0-930_idz1.png

that pressure gradient - is that a hurricane? 60+mb difference between the eye and the outer circle, uh-oh..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    Warm or cold

Cold. As you'll probably be missing your roof .

martinsvi wrote: »
    that pressure gradient - is that a hurricane? 60+mb difference between the eye and the outer circle, uh-oh..

It's the CFS and 900+ hours away. It's not going to happen. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Cold. As you'll probably be missing your roof .

hqdefault.jpg
    martinsvi wrote: »
    It's the CFS and 900+ hours away. It's not going to happen. ;)

And it wouldn't be a hurricane anyways as its a cold core system aka extra tropical cyclone. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I know the CFS is very long range but thought I'd share this extract from a post which I've already posted in the White Christmas thread..

".... Just as a final observation, the CFS shows it being consistently cool (cold at times) from around 10th Jan to mid Feb with 850 hpa uppers at -2 or below at virtually all times and plenty of "pink" all over much of Europe. I attach a typical enough chart from the period....

16012600_0900.gif

Plenty of interest to come accordingly....."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭pauldry

Love the CFS.

Do people actually get employed to forecast the weather "we want"?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

pauldry wrote: »
    Love the CFS.

Do people actually get employed to forecast the weather "we want"?

Ha. I could do that job !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Just for fun but tonight's GFS 12z looking relatively vigorous in FI.

368262.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭highdef

Well this evenings gfs really is teasing us!

ECM putting out some interesting stuff.

ECU1-216_wym7.GIF

ECM1-240_heh1.GIF

06Z GFS deep FI

gfs-0-384_wwq2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Any more stormy weather on the way maq, what is the latest on Hurricane Kate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭B17G

06Z GFS deep FI

Minus eight uppers over the NE.

gfs-1-372_xel9.png

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Any more stormy weather on the way maq, what is the latest on Hurricane Kate.

Remains of Kate won't be anything too interesting here. Plenty of rain and 90-100 km/h gusts on the west coast I'd say.

12Z ECM.

ECH1-240_nam6.GIF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Timmyboy

I'd say that's a good chance of potential snow towards the middle of week after next!
    By a good chance, this means that it's probably at 70% likely hood that there will be snow on the mountains over 2500 feet.
    This is more hope that anything scientific from me but I do like the look of the recent ECMWF charts. :)

12Z ECM ensemble shows the operational run wasn't an outlier. That's a pretty clear signal for a 50 member ensemble mean at 192 hours out. Whether it'll be right or not is a different question, but this is just the FI thread :P

EDH1-192_rmg5.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Listen to this forecast, I hope it comes true! :D:)

http://www.bbc.com/weather/features/34816131

Next Saturday on the 06Z GFS

gfs-0-174_kzg1.png
    gfs-1-180_uyd9.png

Though this run looks like it'll end up being a toppler rather than a sustained cold spell, we'll see. Still FI land.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

GFS 12z still showing some wintry ppn the end of next week but is definitely a toppler setup and not a lasting cold spell.

gfs-0-168_rfc0.png
    gfs-1-168_bjy9.png

What we want to see is the Canadian ridge forming a solid cut off high over Greenland.
    gfsnh-0-114_qws9.png

AnywaysInteresting times ahead still..

Lets see what the ECM has to offer ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭Hooter23

The charts will change but lots of potential there on current charts with weather coming down from the north west / north at times and winter hasn't even started yet:)

Still looking at a cooldown next weekend. GFS has about a 24 window for wintry showers before the high collapses on us Sunday morning. North/northwest areas with best chances here :

gfs-0-162_ylt3.png

ECM keeps that window open a bit longer, about 48 hours. North/northeast areas with best chances here.

ECM1-168_wmr4.GIF

In short, the further north you are the better for wintry showers.

After that, at the moment it looks like we might have a dry, cool period for a while under high pressure. Still all FI of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

It's looking exceptionally cold to me with Saturday looking like an ice day.
    All to play for but need the 12Z to upgrade a bit.

Is your definition of cool 2 to 5 maq?
    Because temps will be no higher on sat and pbly closer to zero imo

Agree with the 24 hour windows alright.
    It is a blink n you miss affair but quite potent

It's looking exceptionally cold to me with Saturday looking like an ice day.
    All to play for but need the 12Z to upgrade a bit.

Is your definition of cool 2 to 5 maq?
    Because temps will be no higher on sat and pbly closer to zero imo

Agree with the 24 hour windows alright.
    It is a blink n you miss affair but quite potent

Too early to know exact temperatures at this stage, 06Z GFS is showing 1-7 Saturday afternoon but it's still 150 hours away, we don't know if there will be shortwaves interrupting the flow or if the high will collapse quicker. Just safe to say "cool" at this stage but cold looking very possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭esposito

Hoping for very cold temps next weekend but used to being disappointed from the recent past. Not too optimistic tbh - I think temps will be in the 4-8 range and won't be cold enough for snow (except on mountains in north)

I hope I'm wrong but the goddam mild weather just never seems to be far away does it. Still, good to see these charts so early.
    We might just have a significant cold shot from the north/east this winter :)

Advertisement