Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts (+T120 onwards) Autumn/Winter 2015 - see Mod Note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Iancar29 wrote: »
    I'll just leave these here... :pac:
    Glorious chart but I hope this doesn't happen, I would take another six weeks of this very mild weather and wait for a proper winter rather than an early false alarm! Too early for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I'll just leave these here... :pac:

gfs-0-348_szx9.png
    gfs-1-348_gfu5.png

If only this actually happened! But no it will sadly not :(

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

sryanbruen wrote: »
    If only this actually happened! But no it will sadly not :(

What is this chart saying its bringing?

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    What is this chart saying its bringing?

Very cold temperatures on Thursday, November 19th.

Very cold temperatures on Thursday, November 19th.

Any precip?

• Advertisement

Any precip?

No as the pressure is relatively high

No as the pressure is relatively high
    Hopefully a bit of wintry precip over these few cold days

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Hopefully a bit of wintry precip over these few cold days

It's 348 hours out, which is in the extremely unreliable time-frame. FI stands for Fantasy Island. These charts are just for fun until you get till around 148-168 hours out and even then it can completely change quite easily.

It's 348 hours out, which is in the extremely unreliable time-frame. FI stands for Fantasy Island. These charts are just for fun until you get till around 148-168 hours out and even then it can completely change quite easily.

Like the end of the world in 2012 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Like the end of the world in 2012 :D

I don't think the Mayans were taking leap years into account, so they may have only been out by a few years :pac:

• Advertisement

I don't think the Mayans were taking leap years into account, so they may have only been out by a few years :pac:

It was a joke.

Another fun deep FI from the 18Z GFS.

It was a joke.

Whilst my post was entirely serious and sincere? ;)

Boy oh boy :D

367631.png

EDIT:

Just had a look through the GFS ensembles and made a few notes. Being honest I'm a bit lazy tonight so I only looked at 850hpa temperatures, didn't look at pressure or precipitation. Will do that when and if these good scenarios move out of FI and become serious possibilities.

There are 20 variations in the ensemble. Most of the runs which show cold towards the end of November unfortunately also show a large lobe of heat building from the equatorial Atlantic towards Greenland, and this then being swept Eastwards by the jet stream towards us. I've made a list of the ensembles which actually look promising:

3, 6, 10,and 11 are the best ones.

6 in particular is the absolute holy grail. with very cold uppers which persist for several days at the end of the run, and beyond.

2, 7, and 19 are good, but look like they're getting ready to dissipate (about to warm up) at +384 hours, beyond which the models don't run so I could be wrong about this. Just seems like that's the way it's going for Ireland in those runs, you can see warmth spreading nearby.

4, 15, and 17 are the opposite of the above - no sub-zero temperatures on these charts, but they look towards the tail end of the run like the cold is about to envelope Ireland.

How I'm judging a good and bad run is fairly simple - whether the zero degree isotherm is above, below, or splitting Ireland. We need that isotherm to the south of us before we can even talk about snow persisting on the ground. Obviously the truly epic runs (variation +6 is amazing, check it out in case it disappears on the next run :D) have temperatures of -4 to -8 on them, but at least getting the 0 isotherm properly below Ireland is a start, because it implies that the jet stream has moved to the south which can potentially allow cold northern air to sweep downwards.

Back in 2010, what happened was that the jet stream formed "waves", so that it swung sharply to the North just before Greenland, peaked there, and then was rammed sharply South where it remained until it had passed Ireland. What I don't yet understand, and somebody feel free to educate me if they know this, is the chicken-and-egg status of the jet stream moving and the blocking high which formed over Greenland that November. In other words, did the jet stream shift because the block forced it to, or did the block form because of the jet stream's unusual behaviour?

Boy oh boy :D

367631.png

EDIT:

Just had a look through the GFS ensembles and made a few notes. Being honest I'm a bit lazy tonight so I only looked at 850hpa temperatures, didn't look at pressure or precipitation. Will do that when and if these good scenarios move out of FI and become serious possibilities.

There are 20 variations in the ensemble. Most of the runs which show cold towards the end of November unfortunately also show a large lobe of heat building from the equatorial Atlantic towards Greenland, and this then being swept Eastwards by the jet stream towards us. I've made a list of the ensembles which actually look promising:

3, 6, 10,and 11 are the best ones.

6 in particular is the absolute holy grail. with very cold uppers which persist for several days at the end of the run, and beyond.

2, 7, and 19 are good, but look like they're getting ready to dissipate (about to warm up) at +384 hours, beyond which the models don't run so I could be wrong about this. Just seems like that's the way it's going for Ireland in those runs, you can see warmth spreading nearby.

4, 15, and 17 are the opposite of the above - no sub-zero temperatures on these charts, but they look towards the tail end of the run like the cold is about to envelope Ireland.

How I'm judging a good and bad run is fairly simple - whether the zero degree isotherm is above, below, or splitting Ireland. We need that isotherm to the south of us before we can even talk about snow persisting on the ground. Obviously the truly epic runs (variation +6 is amazing, check it out in case it disappears on the next run :D) have temperatures of -4 to -8 on them, but at least getting the 0 isotherm properly below Ireland is a start, because it implies that the jet stream has moved to the south which can potentially allow cold northern air to sweep downwards.

Back in 2010, what happened was that the jet stream formed "waves", so that it swung sharply to the North just before Greenland, peaked there, and then was rammed sharply South where it remained until it had passed Ireland. What I don't yet understand, and somebody feel free to educate me if they know this, is the chicken-and-egg status of the jet stream moving and the blocking high which formed over Greenland that November. In other words, did the jet stream shift because the block forced it to, or did the block form because of the jet stream's unusual behaviour?
    . Wonder what precip it will bring, hopefully some of the white stuff 😊😏😏😏

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Its gone on the 12z lads... good oul FI

Somebody attach a model or whatever

When in doubt....GEFS

gensnh-10-1-384_srq2.png

Yep, back again on the Operational 06z
    gfs-0-276_ppu2.png

Some lovely looking blocking out in far FI among the GEFS.

gensnh-10-1-360_qxz1.png

• Advertisement

. Wonder what precip it will bring, hopefully some of the white stuff 😊😏😏😏

Shaded white line areas are snow ;)

High pressure is now trying to edge its way up to Greenland near the ends of the main GFS and ECM runs. It's having only varying measures of success and is generally being swept aside fairly quickly, but the fact that charts with such a distorted polar vortex are appearing this early in November is a good sign indeed. Believe ;)

Some lovely looking blocking out in far FI among the GEFS.

gensnh-10-1-360_qxz1.png

r9TptTb.gif

10 days out.... it WILL change.. but nice to see! :)

367753.png

Shaded white line areas are snow ;)

And where are these lines can i ask

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Pink on Iancars chart = snow....

Ramping early November..... It's almost as beautiful as the snow.....

gensnh-18-1-384_icb6.png
    gensnh-10-1-384_vci6.png

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

November 2010 repeat ?

vqf3YN.png

22 November 2010

3boEIS.gif

November 2010 repeat ?

We can dream :D

This is shaping up to be the most interesting November in years. Last year and the year before, even FI didn't hint at anything like this. :D

Where the hell is Redsunset with his SSW tracking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

We can dream :D

This is shaping up to be the most interesting November in years. Last year and the year before, even FI didn't hint at anything like this. :D

Where the hell is Redsunset with his SSW tracking?

https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/84231-stratosphere-temperature-watch-20152016/

Advertisement