Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts (+T120 onwards) Autumn/Winter 2015 - see Mod Note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

patneve2 wrote: »
    Well, interesting ECM in FI with cold high pressure that would bring unseasonable heavy frost at night. GFS, on the other hand, goes for more of what we had last year with PM air exiting Canada/Greenland and reaching our shores in brisk W winds.

Yeah the ECM looks like it could bring the first snow to high ground next week if its right. Northerly straight from the North Pole.
    ECM1-168_fqr5.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

Both the 12z runs of the GFS and UKMO showing quite a potent low for next Monday, centre of low goes north of us on GFS and south of us on UKMO. ECMWF making nothing of it at present, but the later 12z run should be interesting....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Darwin wrote: »
    Both the 12z runs of the GFS and UKMO showing quite a potent low for next Monday, centre of low goes north of us on GFS and south of us on UKMO. ECMWF making nothing of it at present, but the later 12z run should be interesting....

12Z ECM doesn't develop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Hooter23

So its either potentially stormy or cold and frosty interesting whichever way it turns out...

Today's eye candy from the CFS :pac:

cfs-0-1194_ijo4.png

cfs-2-1194_ocf8.png

• Advertisement

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Today's eye candy from the CFS :pac:

cfs-0-1194_ijo4.png

cfs-2-1194_ocf8.png

And a White Christmas in Saint-Tropez!

cfs-0-1542_xou9.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

Love the CFS (complete fantasy snow) Forecast;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Be interesting to see if the latest ECM 240 chart verifies. I don't think I have ever seen such a huge and extensive anticyclone over Central Europe at this time of year.

LgWXJjZ.gif

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Be interesting to see if the latest ECM 240 chart verifies. I don't think I have ever seen such a huge and extensive anticyclone over Central Europe at this time of year.

LgWXJjZ.gif
    right what does that mean

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

gerrybhoy wrote: »

looks like summer fantasy land just 4 months too late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

gerrybhoy wrote: »

A bore fest for this time of year:(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The end of next week sees a possible cold plunge down over Ireland. White tops on mountains perhaps ?

ICRMkG4.png?1

N7YO2bH.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The end of next week sees a possible cold plunge down over Ireland. White tops on mountains perhaps ?

ICRMkG4.png?1

N7YO2bH.png?1

Them charts aren't cold though. Maybe some returning PM airmass, but certainly no snow from them i wouldn't have thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

ICRMkG4.png?1

N7YO2bH.png?1

Those colours refer to 500 hPa heights, not thickness or temperature. Just a deep low-pressure system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭B17G

Some of the ensembles hinting at a possible storm next weekend.

gens-4-1-150_zmq0.png

FI looking real boring at the moment. :rolleyes:

Bring on any kind of interesting weather, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

If you want to be really depressed I just looked at the CFS all the way out to 21 January 2016. The coldest 850 uppers it forecasts between now and new year are a brief flirtation with -3's / -4's in early December. Most of the time uppers are well in excess of 0c. Its a bit better in Jan 2016 but still no -6's, let alone -8's......

And yes, I know its only the CFS.

Stormy conditions for the west coast around 144 hours on the 06Z GFS but the low will probably be weaker/further offshore on the next run so very much FI stuff.

Tail end of the 0Z GFS run. :P

gfsnh-0-384_uts7.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭arctictree

12z GFS still going for a cold theme but a bit earlier:

Rtavn3121.gif

• Advertisement

Stormy conditions for the west on Friday on the 12Z GFS but the UKMO and ECM don't develop the low, so it's FI stuff even though its only 96 hours.

:P

gensnh-16-1-348_rih7.png

Once again, GFS probably overdoing it with another low.

jiTTfWO.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

:P

gensnh-16-1-348_rih7.png

This is pretty much the holy grail of wintry weather :D

This is pretty much the holy grail of wintry weather :D

Nah I think that would be closer to this. ;)

archives-1933-2-24-12-0.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Nah I think that would be closer to this. ;)

archives-1933-2-24-12-0.png

Apologies if this is the wrong thread for this and/or if its too much of an ask. I wonder though could one of the more knowledgeable contributors here explain what it is about Maq's chart above that makes it so wintry. Maq having identified it as wintry I believe I understand it (if I am right its cold air sourced in Russia feeding into a low pressure system to our south leading to snowmaggedon) - but if I was just shown that chart in the abstract I'm not sure if I'd have come to the same conclusion. I generally need to look at (upper) temp charts also just to confirm my read of a chart is correct. I can't be the only one either I also suspect.

Just a thought on educating us masses with winter coming....

Apologies if this is the wrong thread for this and/or if its too much of an ask. I wonder though could one of the more knowledgeable contributors here explain what it is about Maq's chart above that makes it so wintry. Maq having identified it as wintry I believe I understand it (if I am right its cold air sourced in Russia feeding into a low pressure system to our south leading to snowmaggedon) - but if I was just shown that chart in the abstract I'm not sure if I'd have come to the same conclusion. I generally need to look at (upper) temp charts also just to confirm my read of a chart is correct. I can't be the only one either I also suspect.

Just a thought on educating us masses with winter coming....

Yeah ur pretty much correct. There we have cold air sourced from a cold continent, a low pressure undercutting a high to bring strong instability ( heavy snow showers) and a blocked atlantic to keep the dominant wind easterly in direction.

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Yeah ur pretty much correct. There we have cold air sourced from a cold continent, a low pressure undercutting a high to bring strong instability ( heavy snow showers) and a blocked atlantic to keep the dominant wind easterly in direction.

Indeed, blocked Atlantic, easterly flow, cold pool over Ireland and most important of all the low delivering copious amounts of frontal snow with strong winds. Drifts over 300cm.

http://www.irishidentity.com/extras/weather/stories/bigsnow.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

• Advertisement

I'll just leave these here... :pac:

gfs-0-348_szx9.png
    gfs-1-348_gfu5.png

Advertisement