Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US OPEN August 31 - September 13 2015 (SEE MOD NOTE POST #8)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,604 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

BN-KG480_0911SE_M_20150911150839.jpg

Vinci is like a frail old woman compared to Serena in this pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Arytonblue

Jaysus some hold there from Fed 0-40 down, always love when these two play together, shot making is always top notch, emphasis on winners instead of that grinding style that tries to maximize unforced errorS. Hope to feck it's a better spectacle than that previous semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,002 ✭✭✭✭walshb

If Stan can control the BH he can win.

UE count killing Stan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

walshb wrote: »
    UE count killing Stan.

It's 13-10 UE wise, not exactly killing him.

Stans first serve percentage on the other hand....though with only one break it's not proving too bad yet.

• Advertisement

Fed's been made look better than he is because Stan's not really playing well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

Still can't quite believe the result from earlier. Incredible performance from Vinci. Serena clearly not at her best and seemed to be feeling the pressure (despite saying that she "doesn't feel pressure" in the presser afterwards). Had more than double the unforced errors of Vinci in the 2nd and 3rd sets and her groundstrokes just didn't have the power or effectiveness that they usually do.

Vinci played a fantastic game, though. She had consistently good groundstrokes, utilised the slice backhand well, mixed up her shots extremely well, kept the points short so Serena couldn't get a rhythm and even though there were a few nervy points towards the end (especially when she was 15-40 on her serve but managed to hold for 5-3) and had the resilience to close out the match. Her post-match interview was the best ever as well! Very funny and likeable player.

It really is one of the biggest upsets in tennis history. Most shock results don't have so much riding on them. She would've been the first woman to win the calendar year Grand Slam since Graf in 1988. To come so close and then lose it at what was probably the last main hurdle (Serena's record in GS finals and her ability to do what's required and experience of them would've been too much for either Halep or Pennetta IMO regardless of pressure).

Apparently, tickets for the Women's Final were going for over $1,500 with the prospect of Serena making history. They can now be found for $62. Really hope there's a big crowd tomorrow anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Arytonblue

Fed's been made look better than he is because Stan's not really playing well.

Think you're being a bit harsh on Federer there tbh, he's been clinical as he usually is, Stan for me hasn't been really worth some of the hype he'd been getting in the lead up to this match but he's still a very solid opponent. Nobody has really shined for me in the tournament, but like Djoko, Fed's been handily beating what's in front of him so far. Can't really fault him so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

Martina Hingis and Leander Paes almost won a calendar year Grand Slam as well, only missing out on the Roland Garros mixed title. What a partnership that's proved to be.

Didn't have much faith in Cilic considering his record against Novak but what a pathetic performance for a Slam semi-final. He's played some good tennis during the tournament and did better than I expected to reach the SFs but to go out like that is below a player of his ability.

Stan being outclassed by Roger here. Very disappointing performance but Roger is playing sensational tennis and looks unbeatable in this form. I'll make a prediction and say that Roger will beat Novak on Sunday. I've seen more of Roger's matches than I have Novak's during the tournament but the performances against Darcis and Kohlschreiber were masterclasses- I usually turn off one-sided matches like that because of their predictability but it was exhibition tennis and brilliant to watch. It would be a travesty if Federer finished the year without a Slam based on his displays.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Well after that fabulous women's semi earlier, the men's were right damp squibs - I didn't stay up for the Swiss affair, but what a disappointment. Looking forward to today's final - it'll be interesting to see what the crowds are like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Those calling the Cilic performance embarrassing must have missed Novak's post match interview. He said he knew before the match that Cilic was suffering badly with an ankle injury and he was brave to even come on to the court and complete the match.

Shame for Cilic but even at his best I don't think he'd have got past Novak. Intriguing final in store. Fed's renaissance has really surprised me. I really thought he was done last year. Now I think he can win a sixth US Open.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Pighead wrote: »
    Those calling the Cilic performance embarrassing must have missed Novak's post match interview. He said he knew before the match that Cilic was suffering badly with an ankle injury and he was brave to even come on to the court and complete the match.

Shame for Cilic but even at his best I don't think he'd have got past Novak. Intriguing final in store. Fed's renaissance has really surprised me. I really thought he was done last year. Now I think he can win a sixth US Open.

I agree that Federer is looking fantastic at the minute, however I just can't see him beating Novak. I thought Federer looked awesome against Murray at Wimbledon this year and then just crumbled in the final and I see something similar happening in this final (unfortunately!). Over a best of 5 sets match I think Novak has the physical edge of Federer, so I'm picking Novak in 4 sets.

Arytonblue wrote: »
    Think you're being a bit harsh on Federer there tbh, he's been clinical as he usually is, Stan for me hasn't been really worth some of the hype he'd been getting in the lead up to this match but he's still a very solid opponent. Nobody has really shined for me in the tournament, but like Djoko, Fed's been handily beating what's in front of him so far. Can't really fault him so far.

I think you may have taken me up wrong. Roger played very well, and his form did cause Stan to suffer. I just felt Stan looked flat even when Roger wasn't doing all that much. Not sure of the stats, but they seemed very weak for 1st serve percentage and UE count for Stan.

I think Nole's court coverage is the deciding factor tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

pconn062 wrote: »
    I agree that Federer is looking fantastic at the minute, however I just can't see him beating Novak. I thought Federer looked awesome against Murray at Wimbledon this year and then just crumbled in the final and I see something similar happening in this final (unfortunately!). Over a best of 5 sets match I think Novak has the physical edge of Federer, so I'm picking Novak in 4 sets.
    Not sure if I agree that Novak has the physical edge either. Fed never seems to get tired! Novak generally goes awol for a period of a tough five setter but to his credit he generally comes again. Interestingly they have played ten times against each other since the beginning of 2014 and it's 5 apiece (Granted Novak has won the two best of five setters they've played). Anyway, should be a close game. Can't wait.

It's Nole's intense rallying ability. Relentless. He is also a little better on the scramble and retrieval. Fed just gets beaten down; forced to play the extra shot. This creates tension and tightness, and then the UE count creeps in. Expect Roger to match, and even exceed Nole's winners total, but losing on crucial points, and having a higher UE count.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Yeah, Cilic must have been injured to some extent yesteday. I mean, there's rolling over for your opponent and there's winning three games in a slam semi-final. The Federer-Wawrinka match was utter tripe as well, so disappointed.

Weirdly looking forward to the women's final today, hoping that Vinci can take the title after her heroics yesterday. Although if Vinci wins the title will we be able to say that she only won cause Bouchard was injured....? :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 Tonorr

It's Nole's intense rallying ability. Relentless. He is also a little better on the scramble and retrieval. Fed just gets beaten down; forced to play the extra shot. This creates tension and tightness, and then the UE count creeps in. Expect Roger to match, and even exceed Nole's winners total, but losing on crucial points, and having a higher UE count.

What happened in the Cincinatti Final then? Federer has the game to beat Djokovic, Federer at his best even at 34 is better on fast hard courts than Djokovic at 28 on fast hard courts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Fook off, Federer with your SABR.

sabr ?

Tonorr wrote: »
    What happened in the Cincinatti Final then? Federer has the game to beat Djokovic, Federer at his best even at 34 is better on fast hard courts than Djokovic at 28 on fast hard courts.

I think Fed has a good chance. I will still go with Nole in 4 competitive sets. I think the recent 3 setter was an in form Fed vs an ininterested Nole. Nole will be too strong tomorrow. I am 65 percent confident.

• Advertisement

sabr ?

Sneak Attack By Roger!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭StillIntact

I think Fed has a good chance. I will still go with Nole in 4 competitive sets. I think the. Recent 3 setter was an in form Fed vs an ininterested Nole. Nole will be too strong tomorrow. I am 65 percent confident.

Tend to agree with a Djokovic win given it's 5 rather than 3 sets. If Federer can get a good start and win the first set he has a very good chance. If he goes a set down I doubt he can win 3 of the next 4. Although after Vinci's win yesterday you never know.

No idea how Vinci Pennetta will go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭JTMan

Which TV channel is screening the US Open men's final live? Thanks, I can't find the information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

JTMan wrote: »
    Which TV channel is screening the US Open men's final live? Thanks, I can't find the information.

Sky sports 3 afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Wicklow Brave

See Boris Becker said that he thinks SABR is disrespectful and Djokovic also had a slight dig at it. Pathetic. Hope Federer triple bagels him.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

See Boris Becker said that he thinks SABR is disrespectful and Djokovic also had a slight dig at it. Pathetic. Hope Federer triple bagels him.

It's just a bloody tactic. It's smart is what it is. Stop whinging about it and find a new tactic yourself to nullify it.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

It's just a bloody tactic. It's smart is what it is. Stop whinging about it and find a new tactic yourself to nullify it.

What's all this? I've obviously missed something.

Actually really excited for this women's final. Hoping for a close match with Vinci winning, but I think it's gonna go Pennetta's way.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

What's all this? I've obviously missed something.

It's basically where Federer has been stepping right in when returning (2nd) serve and kind of half volleying the return and usually gaining control of the point. Becker and a few others have decided it's disrespectful and all sorts of other stupid things. It's not like he's underhand serving or something.

http://espn.go.com/tennis/usopen15/story/_/id/13634493/tennis-said-roger-federer-justifies-sneak-attack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Wicklow Brave

It's basically where Federer has been stepping right in when returning (2nd) serve and kind of half volleying the return and usually gaining control of the point. Becker and a few others have decided it's disrespectful and all sorts of other stupid things. It's not like he's underhand serving or something.

http://espn.go.com/tennis/usopen15/story/_/id/13634493/tennis-said-roger-federer-justifies-sneak-attack

Yeah, agree with the article, why don't we stop Nadal using so much topspin or Karlovic serving so fast? Nonsense. Smart, innovative tactic. Really hope Federer can get it done, I've really enjoyed his tennis these last two weeks.

• Advertisement

Advertisement