Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US OPEN August 31 - September 13 2015 (SEE MOD NOTE POST #8)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,991 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Does Vinci hit a topspin one handed BH at all? Or is she like Graf?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

This final needs more slice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭JTMan

Sky sports 3 afaik

All the TV guides say Sky Sports 3 is showing NFL.

Sky Sports 4 is showing the US open but it is not the men's final. They are showing the women's doubles final.

What channel is showing the mens singles final? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭CassieManson

JTMan wrote: »
    All the TV guides say Sky Sports 3 is showing NFL.

Sky Sports 4 is showing the US open but it is not the men's final. They are showing the women's doubles final.

What channel is showing the mens singles final? Thanks.

Ladies final is on now. Mens final tomorrow evening

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Henry9

It's basically where Federer has been stepping right in when returning (2nd) serve and kind of half volleying the return and usually gaining control of the point. Becker and a few others have decided it's disrespectful and all sorts of other stupid things. It's not like he's underhand serving or something.
    Becker has turned into a right clown. The things he used to do on a court, and someone standing a few feet in is 'disrespectful'?

McEnroe has been moaning about it as well. He's got some neck, again considering his antics, and the fact he's been defending Kyrios all year.

It's common sense if you have the reflexes and the volleys to do it, he knows he can't win a baseline slugathon.

They still wax lyrical about Agassi standing inside the baseline, taking the ball early. If someone can do it to your second serve more power to them.

Some tennis players are just babies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

These are fantastic scenes :)

Even with the disappointment of losing, imagine getting to share this with such a good friend. They both look chuffed. Fantasitc!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Mic drop moment from Flavia!! But what a time to retire!!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Apparently she later clarified on Eurosport that she's gonna play out the rest of the season?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Yeah. She's finishing up this year but isn't doing a Bartoli. I think she just meant it was a great way to end her career as a Grand Slam champion but not literally end it there and then. She'll probably qualify for Singapore too with a few more decent results.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭StillIntact

Yesterday's match never got going but a fantastic achievement for Pennetta and a nice change to see someone other than Serena Williams win a major. It was clear that the match was between two lower ranked players given their inconsistency - it felt more like a fourth round match or similar.

Looking forward to today's final and seeing the best players in action. Hoping Federer can make it number 18 - to get back to the top at his age is a credit to his longevity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Come on Fed, you can do it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Suggestions floating around that Fed might have picked up an injury

Relating to Becker's SABR criticisms; Roger isn't adverse to bizarre/begrudging criticisms:

After his 2011 loss, Federer scoffed at the return winner Djokovic hit to erase a match point, comparing him to a kid who swings away with his eyes closed because, well, he's got nothing to lose.

''I never played that way,'' Federer said that day. ''I believe in the hard-work's-going-to-pay-off kind of thing, because early on, maybe I didn't always work at my hardest. So for me, this is very hard to understand how can you play a shot like that on match point. But, look, maybe he's been doing it for 20 years, so for him it was very normal. You've got to ask him.''

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Come on Fed, you can do it.

I kind of want Nole to win, but would also love to see Roger get 18. Watching old matches of Roger from 10 years ago he seems better today and recently than back then. The issue today is that the comp today is superior. As great as he is I would not put him number 1 in a one off match against other greats when all at peak. On grass, yes, but hard and clay he rates behind peak Nole and Nadal.

Rain delay, fantastic.

Way to play into Novaks hands, later start = cooler temps and even slower conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Suggestions floating around that Fed might have picked up an injury

really ?

from where ?

seems its raining in NY... :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 Sicrateb

walshb wrote: »
    I kind of want Nole to win, but would also love to see Roger get 18. Watching old matches of Roger from 10 years ago he seems better today and recently than back then. The issue today is that the comp today is superior. As great as he is I would not put him number 1 in a one off match against other greats when all at peak. On grass, yes, but hard and clay he rates behind peak Nole and Nadal.

Federer in 2006 (his peak) was a much better player than 2015 Federer, his forehand was stunning, he could hit winners from anywhere, he can't do that now. Peak Federer is better than Peak Nadal on every surface except clay, Peak Federer is better than Peak Djokovic on probably every surface, slow hard court is close though. 34 year old Federer two weeks ago beat Djokovic comfortably in the final of the cinicinatti open. Dont tell me 34 year old Federer is better than 24 year old Federer, it's absolute nonsense. I really don't think the field is better in 2015 than it was in 2007 when he was still the clear number 1.

Are you actually mental, how does Federer rate behind Nadal on hard courts compared to Nadal. Federer has 9 hard court slams and 6 WTFs. Nadal has 3 hard court slams and 0 WTFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Sicrateb wrote: »
    Federer in 2006 (his peak) was a much better player than 2015 Federer, his forehand was stunning, he could hit winners from anywhere, he can't do that now. Peak Federer is better than Peak Nadal on every surface except clay, Peak Federer is better than Peak Djokovic on probably every surface, slow hard court is close though. 34 year old Federer two weeks ago beat Djokovic comfortably in the final of the cinicinatti open. Dont tell me 34 year old Federer is better than 24 year old Federer, it's absolute nonsense. I really don't think the field is better in 2015 than it was in 2007 when he was still the clear number 1.

Are you actually mental, how does Federer rate behind Nadal on hard courts compared to Nadal. Federer has 9 hard court slams and 6 WTFs. Nadal has 3 hard court slams and 0 WTFS.

Well, this is going to go nowhere, but sure Federer himself claimed earlier this week that he was playing 'better than ever'. I don't really believe it, but I don't think he is that far off, granted playing a different game...

In terms of tonight, I think it will run along the lines of Wimbledon, Federer will have to win one of the first two sets, and probably both, to win the match.
    If Djokovic comes out with the right intensity after two sets he will have ran the legs off Federer no matter who wins them. If Fed is 2 sets up, he still has a good chance of taking one of the next two.

The whole SABR thing is a good idea from Federer, but again if Djokovic serves as well as he did in Wimbledon, Federer wont be doing much of it.
    if he does, I trust that Djokovic will try to hit him between the eyes, as boris has suggested. Nothing wrong with that either imo.

Sicrateb wrote: »

Nadal leads Federer on hard courts head to head. He beats him on all courts bar grass, and that is only 2-1 to Roger. It is also from 2005 till very recently.

I am not rating them on titles. Peak to peak I will go with Nadal 8/10 times vs Federer on clay and hard. On grass it's very close. 2006 Federer did not have to meet peak Nole. Peak Nole from 2011 and today for me pips any version of Roger. Roger of recent years beats the 2005 and 2006 version of himself. Watch him. He is a more complete player from recent years. If I was to pick his peak I woul go with 2009.

Btw, Federer can still hit winners from anwhere. Today and recently he has been meeting better players, like Nole. So looking invincible against an old Agassi or against Hewitt or Roddick etc, is not the same as looking invincible against players like peak Nadal and Nole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I want Federer to win, but think Djokovic wins.

Don't normally drink coffee at this hour, but for the last grand slam, it is needed.

Fooking rain!

Just arrived in from work, delighted to see I haven't missed a single point! Although the joke will be on me if it's postponed until tomorrow...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

Fed was walking in a peculiar way when he got out of the car on arrival at 12.30 lunchtime. Limping?
    But Rusedski pointed out that both his shoes were unlaced, we then saw footage of him at practice, as nimble as a mountain goat

Just arrived in from work, delighted to see I haven't missed a single point! Although the joke will be on me if it's postponed until tomorrow...

You'll be happy to know that they'll be walking onto court at 2 minutes past 12. Not 12, 2 minutes past. Who makes this sh1t up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

You'll be happy to know that they'll be walking onto court at 2 minutes past 12. Not 12, 2 minutes past. Who makes this sh1t up?

Earlier on they announced they would be playing the national anthems in "8 minutes ".
    That didn't happen either

The same people who dry the courts with towels? :pac:

On Sky they were talking about food intake for the players.

Meanwhile back here in Europe, we are all having to manage our caffeine intake given this could go on for many hours.

I hate when some countries have to always get their military involved in everything.

• Advertisement

After making us wait 3 hours, this screams damp squib all over it, just to rub salt into the wounds.

Advertisement