Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US OPEN August 31 - September 13 2015 (SEE MOD NOTE POST #8)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,701 ✭✭✭✭walshb

With Fed on such form , I really wanna see him play Nadal, these 2 need to meet again in a slam and I think the last time Fed beat him at a slam was 2007 - crazy really !!

Yes. I think it was that long ago. I'd probably even back a less than best Nadal to beat a close to best Federer.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

No real surprise to see Kyrgios picked apart by Murray. He's talented, but a long way to go.

Disappointed Laura lost yesterday, although from the little I saw of the match the talent is still there. I just hope she plays as many matches as possible for the remainder of the season and can finally start to make some progress in 2016.

Regarding Nadal's win over Coric, I don't think he'll have been too happy to drop a set, I feel that was the kind of match he needed to win in straights to boost the confidence. I still think he'll reach the QF's, but that's as far as he'll go.

It'd be nice if Kvitova could find some form in NY and restore parity to the women's draw, but I still think she'll have an early exit. Perhaps Schmiedlova will take her out in the third round? Either way if either Kvitova or Muguruza make the QF's from that section I'll be happy. Could well be neither though.

As for Pliskova, what can you say? #8 the world, #5 in the race and she's flopped at all four of the slams this year. Hope she doesn't make it to Singapore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

walshb wrote: »
    Yes. I think it was that long ago. I'd probably even back a less than best Nadal to beat a close to best Federer.

I'd agree, not on Nadal being great though, more to do with the fact that Federer turns into a weak little kitten when he plays Nadal - at least at best of 5 setters.

I'd agree, not on Nadal being great though, more to do with the fact that Federer turns into a weak little kitten when he plays Nadal - at least at best of 5 setters.

His UE count seems to skyrocket when playing Nadal.

His UE count seems to skyrocket when playing Nadal.

Yep, and he does terrible on the BIG points ...

But still, I wanna see them play, when are they scheduled to meet ?

• Advertisement

Yep, and he does terrible on the BIG points ...

But still, I wanna see them play, when are they scheduled to meet ?

I was going to ask you the same thing. Isn't it the QFs?

No idea, can't see how I can find out either, the draws available are rubbish quality

No idea, can't see how I can find out either, the draws available are rubbish quality

Ok, Nole meets Nadal in QFs, and Fed is seeded 2, so Fed won't meet Nadal until the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Ok, Nole meets Nadal in QFs, and Fed is seeded 2, so Fed won't meet Nadal until the final.

Unlikely so, athough if djokovic has a meltdown or something and nadal actually wins, his draw is very open until the final.

I never quite understood why Federer couldn't manage to beat Nadal more often. The optimal pattern of play for Federer seems obvious, just keep hitting nadals backhand repeatedly until a chance for a clean winner turns up or the backhand breaks down.

I think Federer was too proud/stubborn to concede that he couldn't beat him playing his 'normal' game (which in fairness was plenty good to beat everyone else at the time).

Nadal has no problem in 'shamelessly' hammering Federers backhand until that cracked....

Oh no !!
    Then I most definetely do not want NADAL to meet Federer ... Really hope Djokeravitch can win this one ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Arytonblue

First post in tennis forum FTW. Just seen Dimitrov go out to Kukushkin in 5. Been a really poor year for him, 2014 really looked like his breakthrough year to some extent but he's just gone backwards this year, all that hype about him being baby Fed looks to be completely unfounded, he was winning slams regularly at this stage, his time to step up to the next level is really running out, fast. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Djoko, Fed (unless he retires), Murray and Wawrinka still as the big guns in 3 years time. This group of supposed next generation of stars really aren't living up to their billing. Hopefully I'm wrong, I just wanna see someone else win the slams (except Cilic, he doesn't count :pac:)

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Arytonblue wrote: »
    First post in tennis forum FTW. Just seen Dimitrov go out to Kukushkin in 5. Been a really poor year for him, 2014 really looked like his breakthrough year to some extent but he's just gone backwards this year, all that hype about him being baby Fed looks to be completely unfounded, he was winning slams regularly at this stage, his time to step up to the next level is really running out, fast. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Djoko, Fed (unless he retires), Murray and Wawrinka still as the big guns in 3 years time. This group of supposed next generation of stars really aren't living up to their billing. Hopefully I'm wrong, I just wanna see someone else win the slams (except Cilic, he doesn't count :pac:)

It honestly wouldn't be that surprising. The future of men's tennis looks pretty grim right now.

Next up on Ashe after Venus is the Djokovic-Haider-Maurer match. We're all staying up to watch that one yeah? :pac:

lostcat wrote: »
    I never quite understood why Federer couldn't manage to beat Nadal more often. The optimal pattern of play for Federer seems obvious, just keep hitting nadals backhand repeatedly until a chance for a clean winner turns up or the backhand breaks down.

I think Nadal's success is a combination of things. Main thing (forgetting the brilliance of Nadal) being his defence and retrieval abilities. He runs down almost anything that Fed throws at him, making Fed play the extra shots, which he misses a lot of the times. I don't how many points I have seen between the two where Federer is in real control, and so close to closing out the point only for Nadal to retrieve and get the ball back to then win the point via a Fed UE. It adds up to games. It is also soul destroying for Fed and his fans that Fed has to almost shoot Nadal to earn some points. Not sure of their stats, but I'd hazard a guess that Fed has more winners in most of his matches vs. Nadal. It's the UE count that kills him.

Kiki's outburst after her 1st set loss to Serena was disgraceful. She should be thoroughly reprimanded. Should have been DQd!

Ok, was the racket smashing at the end of the match or at the end of the first set?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Kiki's outburst after her loss to Serena was disgraceful. She should be thoroughly reprimanded.

Any link?

I am going mad not having any channel that shows this. Have had sky sports the last few years so this is awful :(

the monkey closed his account? :eek:

Any link?

I am going mad not having any channel that shows this. Have had sky sports the last few years so this is awful :(

the monkey closed his account? :eek:

It was on last night SS2. I will look for the link. It was a sustained outburst. Not just a smack, another smack. 5-6 smacks until she was satisfied. She destroyed the racket right under the umpire's nose. Bang out of order, and should not be let go unpunished.

I didn't hear any commentary on the incident from the commentators or the panel. I missed that, if they commented on it at all.

The highlights are up on youtube, but just shows the loss of the point to give the set away and one throw of the racket...

The highlights are up on youtube, but just shows the loss of the point to give the set away and one throw of the racket...

Yes, I know the part you're talking about. The racket smashing happened when she was at her chair. I am not sure was it post-match or after 1st set... It was not nice to see. Really not. Not exaggerating. Just looked bad in the sport of tennis. Worse that it was a so called lady!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Sounds terribly unprofessional alright.

Murray currently two sets down to Mannarino. Still expect him to win but this is certainly unexpected.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,019 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Was that not Coco who went racquet smash crazy?

• Advertisement

Last time murray won from 2-0 down he won Wimbledon hmmmmm

edit - sorry duplicate post, posting from mobile in dodgy 3g coverage ;)

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Was that not Coco who went racquet smash crazy?

Who's coco? Hold on, maybe I am wrong then. Who was the player who smashed her racket to the ground 5-6 times at her chair, destroying it? I thought it was Bertens during or just after her match with Serena?

My big mistake: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/coco-vandeweghe-smashes-racket-then-smashes-it-some-more-after-crowd-boo-her-at-us-open-2015-live-10484033.html

Apologies to Bertens. I saw it and assumed it was her after her match with Serena.

Thanks for the clarification.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

I'm sure he'd much rather do a Novak and cruise through the early rounds but for the viewer his matches are generally fantastic to watch. That fourth set last night when it seemed that both were running on fumes was compelling viewing. Some of the rallies were fantastic to watch. Poor old Mannarino had nothing left in that final set. So hot over there this year. Heard one of the commentators say that they've already beaten the record for players retiring during their match. Think it's up to ten already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

The heat got the better of Jack Sock as well. Collapsed in the match against Bemelmans. Scary moment! Surprised by Wozniacki's loss...thought she'd go further.

TBH, I'm kind of warming to the idea of Serena doing the Grand Slam. Before, I didn't want her to equal Steffi's record but I think it would be a great thing for tennis. More coverage might equal more fans.

Great to see Tommy Haas still going at 37. Into the doubles R2 with Radek Stepanek....combined age of 73. Haas must be stuck together with surgical glue and pure grit!! Not many players keep going at his age and with his injury history.

Good article on Mardy Fish here

Always liked the guy , seemed a real gent.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/34135338

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Good article on Mardy Fish here

Always liked the guy , seemed a real gent.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/34135338

Not sure I'd call him a gent. I remember quite a few occasions where he was a bit of a tool.

So Wozniacki is having a good year

• Registered Users Posts: 12,019 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

So Wozniacki is having a good year

Happy that Cetkovska won, she played some lovely tennis while Wozniacki was her usual dour self.

• Advertisement

Serena down a set to Bethanie Mattek-Sands. Difficult to see Bethanie actually pulling off the upset but... can you imagine if she did?!

Advertisement