Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US OPEN August 31 - September 13 2015 (SEE MOD NOTE POST #8)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

the_monkey wrote: »
    Qualies under way, don't know if James McGee is playing or not ..

Official site

http://www.usopen.org/index.html

McGee had surgery not that long ago, not sure what on or how long his recovery is but I haven't heard much about him lately.

Kyrgios v Murray in R1. Who cares about the rest of the draw.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Kyrgios-Murray could be fun, but it seems like the kinda match that'll be hyped but ultimately turn out to be a Murray straight-sets win.

Kyrgios-Murray could be fun, but it seems like the kinda match that'll be hyped but ultimately turn out to be a Murray straight-sets win.

Press will have a field day painting Murray as the white knight feminist hero taking on the evil misogynist of Kyrgios.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I hope the crowd are nice to him in NY, give him a chance to redeem himself. If he's a dick again then... carry on :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I hope the crowd are nice to him in NY, give him a chance to redeem himself. If he's a dick again then... carry on :)

Hopefully they give him an awful time. He doesn't deserve anything more. It will be interesting to see what sort of reception he gets, he got booed in Cincinnati. Imagine he beat Murray and made the quarter final where he would meet Stan, now that would be interesting.

Cant see him beating Murray though.

Here are the links to the draws.

Men
    http://www.usopen.org/en_US/scores/draws/ms/index.html?promo=fromatp

Women
    http://www.usopen.org/en_US/scores/draws/ws/index.html?promo=subnav

I'm just going to put a little Mod Note here. Every time there's a slam new people appear so just in case....

PLEASE KEEP ALL DISCUSSION CIVIL AND AS ON TOPIC AS POSSIBLE. WE DO NOT NEED ANOTHER DISCUSSION ABOUT HOW SERENA WOULD DO ON THE MEN'S TOUR OR HOW PLAYER X, Y AND Z ARE DOPERS, CHEATS, FINISHED ETC. ETC. GRUNTING/SHRIEKING IS NOT AN ISSUE FOR THE PLAYERS SO IT IS NOT AN ISSUE THAT NEEDS TO BE DISCUSSED HERE. IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT TURN DOWN THE VOLUME ON YOUR TV.

Floppybits wrote: »
    Hopefully they give him an awful time. He doesn't deserve anything more. It will be interesting to see what sort of reception he gets, he got booed in Cincinnati. Imagine he beat Murray and made the quarter final where he would meet Stan, now that would be interesting.

Cant see him beating Murray though.

Personally I think t's being blown out of proportion a bit now, yeah what he said was stupish and dickish, does he really deserve to still be jeered for it weeks later though? Give him a chance to redeem himself.

^ Personally I think t's being blown out of proportion a bit now, yeah what he said was stupish and dickish, does he really deserve to still be jeered for it weeks later though? Give him a chance to redeem himself.

He doesn't seem to have made any effort to redeem himself though. The ATP haven't really handled the situation either which will probably wind people up a bit more too. Chances are he'll be on his best behaviour for the rest of the year to avoid a ban but we won't actually know if he's learned his lesson until his "probation" is up.

Personally I think t's being blown out of proportion a bit now, yeah what he said was stupish and dickish, does he really deserve to still be jeered for it weeks later though? Give him a chance to redeem himself.

Its not just what he done and said on the court, its what he hasn't done since and what he has said he has done but hasn't.

He didn't apologise to Wawrinka or Vekic personally, when he said in his press conference he did. He had a chance and blew it.

why should he be given support?

• Advertisement

Its not just what he done and said on the court, its what he hasn't done since and what he has said he has done but hasn't.

He didn't apologise to Wawrinka or Vekic personally, when he said in his press conference he did. He had a chance and blew it.

why should he be given support?

There's probably a happy medium. They don't have to boo him and hurl abuse, they could just ignore him. Imagine a big stadium full of people just being dead quiet as you walk out, as your name is announced, after any/every point you win.

So, do we think anyone can stop Serena over the next fortnight? Looking at the draw, I see only Sloane Stephens, Madison Keys and Azarenka in the final as people who could cause her problems, and even then, could they actually beat her? So difficult to see it happening. But basically if she is to lose, I think it would take an outstanding performance from her opponent, and a complete meltdown from Serena.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Sharapova is out due to right leg injury. Hasn't played since Wimbledon but hopes to be back for the Asian swing. Bit of a disappointing season for her.

Mardy Fish's last hurrah. He's playing Grandstand tomorrow. Up first I think. I always liked him....seemed like a nice guy. Spoke very honestly about his struggles off the court.

Maria :(

So, what upsets might we see on day 1? I reckon Cibulkova will take out Ana, which I wouldn't mind actually. Sloane could lose to Vandeweghe, but there wouldn't be too much shame in that result tbh, Vandeweghe having a good year. Nadal has a dangerous match against Coric too, but I highly doubt Borna will be able to beat him over five sets.

Re-watching last year's men's final on Sky Sports now, what a hideous match that was!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

I reckon Cilic wont make it past the 1st week ... then his ranking will tumble with all those points to defend.

I think Kei can do well this year.

I reckon Cilic wont make it past the 1st week ... then his ranking will tumble with all those points to defend.

I think Kei can do well this year.

Kei is gone and so is Ivanovic. Not a surprise really.

Jankovic, Watson and Pliskova also out. Nice to see Fish through to the next round where he'll play Feli.

Halep up first tomorrow on AA. Murray-Kyrgios is night session.

First time in years I'll miss the majority of tennis. Stupid first real job!!:mad::pac:

:O !!!!

Kei !!!, well well well, we have ourselves an upset already.

• Advertisement

dont count Nadal out either ..

:O !!!!

Kei !!!, well well well, we have ourselves an upset already.

Was he carrying an injury? He is so injury prone that he will need to take a look at his game and his training to see why he is so injury prone and make some changes to prevent it.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Was he carrying an injury? He is so injury prone that he will need to take a look at his game and his training to see why he is so injury prone and make some changes to prevent it.

Him going out really opens up Djokovics side of the draw. Everyone who 'might' reasonably beat him is on the other side now. And no, Nadal isn't going to beat him. He should make the final now if he has enough left in the tank (both mentally and physically), he seemed a bit drained in the last two tournaments.

The other half of the draw looks jam-packed and most of the interesting early matches should be in this half, but Federer and Murray should make the semi.

Nice win for Young. Coming back from 2 set down to beat #11 seed Simon. Another seed bites the dust! Seems to be a few retirements as well.....season taking its toll on the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,026 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Murray v Kryigos is good fun so far.

Murray obviously strong fav, but Nick playing quite well if a little erratic, not expecting a comfortable match whatsoever for Murray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

Oh, Laura. 4-0 up in the final set against Vesnina and she didn't close it out. Would have been a big confidence booster to win but she's only coming back so I'm sure there will be a lot of positives she'll take out of today's performance.

Thought Coric was a nightmare R1 draw for Rafa but from the little I saw, he was playing well and very aggressively- did well to get through in 4. Coric, though, is such an exciting talent- you just know he'll be a future world No.1. Him, Zverev and Kokkinakis look like they'll be the future. You could throw Kyrgios in there as well but I'm not sure he wants it enough to ever win a Slam, never mind the off-court antics and unpredictable style.

Serena's draw looking very straightforward now. Vandeweghe will probably trouble her a bit but probably not enough to get a win. Can't see Keys beating her. If she meets Bencic, that could be very interesting. Belinda's having a great year and she has the quality and fearlessness to cause an upset but we'll see.

Think Murray should get through this as he's playing his best tennis and seems to be in a really good place mentally. A nightmare R1 draw for him as well, though. Forgetting his personality and off-court drama, Kyrgios is just brilliant to watch- such an unpredictable style which makes for great viewing, seeing the contrast to the style of other players.

smurfs5 wrote: »
    Oh, Laura. 4-0 up in the final set against Vesnina and she didn't close it out. Would have been a big confidence booster to win but she's only coming back so I'm sure there will be a lot of positives she'll take out of today's performance.

Thought Coric was a nightmare R1 draw for Rafa but from the little I saw, he was playing well and very aggressively- did well to get through in 4. Coric, though, is such an exciting talent- you just know he'll be a future world No.1. Him and Zverev look like they'll be the future. You could throw Kyrgios in there as well but I'm not sure he wants it enough to ever win a Slam, never mind the off-court antics and unpredictable style.

Serena's draw looking very straightforward now. Vandeweghe will probably trouble her a bit but probably not enough to get a win. Can't see Keys beating her. If she meets Bencic, that could be very interesting. Belinda's having a great year and she has the quality and fearlessness to cause an upset but we'll see.

Think Murray should get through this as he's playing his best tennis and seems to be in a really good place mentally. A nightmare R1 draw for him as well, though. Forgetting his personality and off-court drama, Kyrgios is just brilliant to watch- such an unpredictable style which makes for great viewing, seeing the contrast to the style of other players.

Thiem looks a talent as well,will be interesting to keep an eye on him.

Kokkinakis was very unlucky against Gasquet, got injured in the fourth set and could barely move, it was actually quite grim to watch but definitely seen enough in him that in a few years he could be a threat.

yeah its a brutal draw for Murray, quite a few journeymen floating about and he ends up getting someone who couldn't have a million miles away from a seeding?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Thiem looks a talent as well,will be interesting to keep an eye on him.

Kokkinakis was very unlucky against Gasquet, got injured in the fourth set and could barely move, it was actually quite grim to watch but definitely seen enough in him that in a few years he could be a threat.

yeah its a brutal draw for Murray, quite a few journeymen floating about and he ends up getting someone who couldn't have a million miles away from a seeding?:eek:

Yes, I edited my post to include Kokkinakis and I forgot about Thiem- haven't seen much of him but from what I've read from ex-pros and pundits, there seems to be a lot of excitement around him. I'd say that in 5 years time, Coric, Kokkinakis, Thiem, Zverev and Kyrgios would be pretty good bets for the Top 10.

He can still win this can Nick, but some suicidal stuff in with moments of absolute genius.

• Advertisement

With Fed on such form , I really wanna see him play Nadal, these 2 need to meet again in a slam and I think the last time Fed beat him at a slam was 2007 - crazy really !!

Advertisement