Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remembering Old Bars and Clubs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,339 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Setanta hotel Celbridge
    Hitcher Leixlip
    Rockafella Leixlip
    Glenroyal maynooth

F*cking hell man. There's my teenage years through early college right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

F*cking hell man. There's my teenage years through early college right there.

Felt like a pensioner in the hitcher past 20 some night in the hitcher. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Back in the day - I used to hang out with a lot of the grungers and goths from Central Bank and the bar we used to always go to was Fibber McGees for our underage drinking. Never went anywhere else.
    Fibbers is still going. Still full of weirdos.

What about Night Owls? It's the place to be seen. Something something the music is great, the bars open late, why go to the rest cos night owls is the best. Night Owls!
    Europes only laser disco. (which i never believed)
    Do you know what's worse than people taking about pubs they drink in?

Talking about pubs that no longer exist they drank in.
    Probably shouldn't have clicked into a thread called "Remembering Old Bars and Clubs" then, should you?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Charlies Star Bar in Donegal Town, Saloon bar down one side, lounge down the other side and at rear.

Also in Donegal Town, Zaks/BabyJoes. Live Music or DJ most nights. Had to go down a covered ally to get to it, kinda dark and gloomy at times, but great spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

There was a place in kinnegad back in the early 90s used to frequent underage of course out in what seemed like the middle of nowhere
    You'd head there for a row and eventually a disco would break out. Mad kip altogether. I remember Nijinsky's alright you'd leave in your coat and get a ticket for a dinner some crack ateing a dinner at half one in the morning and you full of black Russians. Usually left the whole lot in some ditch half way home.
    It never dawned on us that we didn't have to eat the friggin dinner.
    Joys of been young and stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

The Hitcher, past leixlip in Kildare.

Fireworks, off college green /by trinity hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I used to play in Sir Henrys every Wednesday night in the back bar upstairs,

and I also used to go to the Oval when it opened first. Ever go to The Liberty?

Henry's was exceptional. Used also go to the Oval before renovation. Was never a regular but was in the Liberty plenty of times - it was the place that sold cans and used to be frequented by the frank and walters?
    How about Jack Plugs, was my first regular? Used to play a lot of suede, stone roses etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

Do you know what's worse than people taking about pubs they drink in?

Talking about pubs that no longer exist they drank in.

Cool story bro. Why don't you go a step further and post in.... oh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Charlies Star Bar in Donegal Town, Saloon bar down one side, lounge down the other side and at rear.

Also in Donegal Town, Zaks/BabyJoes. Live Music or DJ most nights. Had to go down a covered ally to get to it, kinda dark and gloomy at times, but great spot.

you forgot the Schooner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Henry's was exceptional. Used also go to the Oval before renovation. Was never a regular but was in the Liberty plenty of times - it was the place that sold cans and used to be frequented by the frank and walters?
    How about Jack Plugs, was my first regular? Used to play a lot of suede, stone roses etc.

I was in it, but I cant remember where it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭kinsy

No, it's on Dame Court. Next to Ri-Ra and it's now called The Exchequor. ;) Been trying to find out for ages :(

Drums? That's what we called it when I was going there around 00/ 01

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The Hitcher, past leixlip in Kildare.

Fireworks, off college green /by trinity hotel

Often wondered why Fireworks never reopened....it was a great space with different levels perfect for a club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

For a few years in the early 90s before the Pink Elephant went on to become Renards, it was known as the Zoo Bar and was a gem of a place. There was a large cocktail bar on the main level (my Piña Colada drinking era) playing tunes like Happy Mondays and the rest of the levels/rooms all had different music playing, from Faith No More, Grunge etc, to Acid House in the basement. William Tell was a decent spot back the also.

The first night club I ever got served in was where Fibbers is now and was called Top Cats.

The Top Hat in Dun Laoghaire holds many a great memory for me. Apartment block now. Seen Ozzy there, Slayer, Metallica two nights in a row ('88). Also seen Sonic Youth there and during the support act we drank cans across the road at the railings. Regret that as 12 months later that band were to become my favourite band and it would have been nice to see that Cobain fellow in the flesh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Setanta hotel Celbridge
    Hitcher Leixlip
    Rockafella Leixlip
    Glenroyal maynooth

Ah the memories. Also the LA in Maynooth.

Loved the Palace on Camden Street. Hated Zanzibar and Tramco. The Gaiety used do a great club night for a while.

What was the nightclub in the Portobello called circa 2002? Also have vague memories of a dreadful place in Temple Bar called Isolde's Tower, no idea what became of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Haha Zanzibar what a dive

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

my only visit to the Top Hat was for Sonic Youth/Nirvana in 1991.
    The Top Hat in Dun Laoghaire holds many a great memory for me. Apartment block now. Seen Ozzy there, Slayer, Metallica two nights in a row ('88). Also seen Sonic Youth there and during the support act we drank cans across the road at the railings. Regret that as 12 months later that band were to become my favourite band and it would have been nice to see that Cobain fellow in the flesh.

I'm not doubting either of you guys but jaysus The Top Hat must of been the size of Croke park the amount of people who claim they were at that gig.
    It's like the GPO in 1916.

I mis-spent a lot of my youth in Goodtime Charlies in the St Lawrence out in Howth

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

Milan in Letterkenny.

Fiver in, 3 euro drinks all night. Never saw anyone wasted in their despite the cheap drink. Pop tunes belting downstairs, absolutely unreal house music upstairs.

They even made burgers and hotdogs in the smoking area upstairs during the summer, and gave them away for free!

Then the closing down night out happened during the college year and 29 people ended up in hospital... Not the best way to bow out, but me and my friends maintain that if we win the lotto we're going to reopen it and take it back to the top

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭CiaranMcDCFC

remember the Hair of the Dog in Moville??

Got drunk in there many's a night. Wasn't it Mike the Yank who owned it, lovely bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

My brothers used to drink in Faces, I was too young but always wanted to go. I think it's Club 92 now, in Leopardstown

Milan in Letterkenny.

Fiver in, 3 euro drinks all night. Never saw anyone wasted in their despite the cheap drink. Pop tunes belting downstairs, absolutely unreal house music upstairs.

They even made burgers and hotdogs in the smoking area upstairs during the summer, and gave them away for free!

Then the closing down night out happened during the college year and 29 people ended up in hospital... Not the best way to bow out, but me and my friends maintain that if we win the lotto we're going to reopen it and take it back to the top

Was it even open or even closed long enough to be considered an old bar. Probably both opened and closed since some of ones mentioned here closed for the last time.

:D

• Advertisement

you forgot the Schooner!

Never really rated it my self.

:p

Slightly off topic, but really prefered The Reveller and ODonnells when they were known as The Voyage and McGroatys.

And you cant forget the sticky floors of Neros.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

Was it even open or even closed long enough to be considered an old bar. Probably both opened and closed since some of ones mentioned here closed for the last time.

:D

Haha I suppose it wouldn't be old at all, I remember it being open when I started drinking. Never really thought about how long it was around, before twisted pepper closed it was the first place I'd been a regular at that shut down.

It certainly doesn't have the nostalgia factor that the Grill has over the town. Don't know how many times I've heard about parents first meeting each other in the grill

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Often wondered why Fireworks never reopened....it was a great space with different levels perfect for a club

Didn't something dodgy happen outside or inside just before it closed down?
    more rumours here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=52009210

Pretty the club was losing it's attraction before it closed anyway... does the Trinity Capital Hotel own it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

Do you remember Nero's Nightclub? or the Shamrock if your older

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

Did anyone drink in a bar called "The Thing Mote"

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭CiaranMcDCFC

Winty wrote: »
    Did anyone drink in a bar called "The Thing Mote"

Still there, just called O'Donoghues now. Not sure if it has changed much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

PandaPoo wrote: »
    My brothers used to drink in Faces, I was too young but always wanted to go. I think it's Club 92 now, in Leopardstown

Blinkers became Club 92.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭DublinCJM

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Blinkers became Club 92.

And Faces was what became of The Breamor Rooms in Churchtown...

Nobody go to Annabels in the Burlington?

Remember in the eighties having to put on a suit to get in there :D

Haha I suppose it wouldn't be old at all, I remember it being open when I started drinking. Never really thought about how long it was around, before twisted pepper closed it was the first place I'd been a regular at that shut down.

It certainly doesn't have the nostalgia factor that the Grill has over the town. Don't know how many times I've heard about parents first meeting each other in the grill

The Grill has been around for feckin donkeys. Haven't heard stories about parents meeting there, but did hear stories about hosting some top bands at the time.
    Winty wrote: »
    Do you remember Nero's Nightclub? or the Shamrock if your older

Check back about 3 posts before yours.

;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Also have vague memories of a dreadful place in Temple Bar called Isolde's Tower, no idea what became of it.

That was a subtly weird place, as far as I remember it sort of marketed itself as an alternative place but was actually full of still in the closet sleazy gay guys.
    Was frequented by mr "Goes Wild" too AFAIK.
    Says a lot when a place is significantly improved by turning into the Czech Inn.

Sort of curious about Sir Henry's, Cork people like to big everything up and you always love the place you first start drinking/doing drugs/seeing gigs in is its rep just those two things combining?, I loved the Nerve Centre and Gweedore (Derry)but without the Rose Tinted glasses its just another indie bar and small venue that happens to have your friends in it.

Advertisement