Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remembering Old Bars and Clubs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Danger Doyles :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Remember it 20 years back...it just seemed more exciting than Horans!

It was the best nightclub Tralee has ever had,it was some spot

Now its a gym :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭blue note

Reading this thread made me so happy. Hardly recognised a name. I feel so young :) Only downside is I'll still be working to pay your pensions :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Ballybunion had the Alantic and then you had a nightclub in Banna just outside Tralee

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I was on Exchequer St and then Dame Court in Dublin 2. There was a bar there back in around '02 before the Exchequer. I think it had a bit of a reputation for serving underage folk like myself. I was 16 or 17 when I got served. I remember it as being with a few heads that hung around Temple Bar.. (yes, those freaky goth, hippy, grungers) Can anyone remember the name of it? My friend seems to think it began with a 'C.'

Also, feel free to reminisce about Nightclubs or pubs you loved growing up that aren't there any more.

Charlies? On aungier street I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

The nightclub I visited most was Nijinsky's on the Curragh. In the early 90s, my group of friends (and one in particular) convinced the manager to have an indie/alternative night on Fridays, the night hardly anyone went to. "Why would you want us to play Indian music?". After a short while, in was more popular than the Saturday/chart music night, and was eventually moved to the Saturday night. Sometimes, if there was no transport available, heading across the Curragh plains on foot to Newbridge was the only option. Since there were no lights, the aim was to avoid falling into a hollow (or a sheep, although maybe everyone didn't have this policy).

Of the ones mentioned here, I've been to a good few gigs in McGonagles, had many drunken night in Fibber McGee's (including what I call the 'Mr Puke-Sleeve Night", I've been to The Roxy in Waterford, and my only visit to the Top Hat was for Sonic Youth/Nirvana in 1991.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

The Palace in Camden street, I dont mean the way it is now I mean the way it was back in the early 2000's, upstairs for dance music (with the green lasers) and downstairs for the pop music which included a little sample of the A team theme tune or baywatch to mix it up a little, the dance floor used to go wild! Every thursday without fail, great times, there have never been nights like it since.

I used to go there at least twice a week, IE£1.50 / €2 a drink was nuts. I actually drank so much back then that I stopped drinking in 2002 and have been sober since.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

Bambi wrote: »
    Charlies? On aungier street I think

No, it's on Dame Court. Next to Ri-Ra and it's now called The Exchequor. ;) Been trying to find out for ages :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

The System - off Grafton Street. Everybody danced facing the DJ. Was kinda like an aerobics class.

Club M with the Laser Light Show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

No, it's on Dame Court. Next to Ri-Ra and it's now called The Exchequor. ;) Been trying to find out for ages :(

I worked in Dame Court from 1999 - 2000, I'm pretty sure it was always called the Exchequor. Did you go to Bruce college or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

The Kitchen

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

The Warick in Salthill, fantastic place back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It wasn't that long ago but Cuba was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Setanta hotel Celbridge
    Hitcher Leixlip
    Rockafella Leixlip
    Glenroyal maynooth
    The Vault Connolly
    Club M Temple Bar
    North Star Amien street

God I used to drink in some dives.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

kjl wrote: »
    I worked in Dame Court from 1999 - 2000, I'm pretty sure it was always called the Exchequor. Did you go to Bruce college or something?

Maybe we had a nickname for it.. Hmm.. Maybe the Building or Hotel is The Exchequor but the bar had a different name. Argh.. wrecking my head.

No, didn't go to Bruce.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Setanta hotel Celbridge
    Hitcher Leixlip
    Rockafella Leixlip
    Glenroyal maynooth
    The Vault Connolly
    Club M Temple Bar
    North Star Amien street

God I used to drink in some dives.

The north star is a weird place

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Just googled & Club M is still there!

Then there was Break for the Border.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,529 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Knine wrote: »

Break for the border is also still there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Knine wrote: »

Break for the border is still going. But more of an gastro pub.
    Only thing that gets pulled in there these days is Pork.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,973 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I still miss Eamon Doran's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭John T Carroll

The (Old) Bodega, Cork, early & mid 70s.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

I was on Exchequer St and then Dame Court in Dublin 2. There was a bar there back in around '02 before the Exchequer. I think it had a bit of a reputation for serving underage folk like myself. I was 16 or 17 when I got served. I remember it as being with a few heads that hung around Temple Bar.. (yes, those freaky goth, hippy, grungers) Can anyone remember the name of it? My friend seems to think it began with a 'C.'

Also, feel free to reminisce about Nightclubs or pubs you loved growing up that aren't there any more.

There was The Molly Malones' ( called that around 95-98) later named Drumms later Exchequer Bar, though I don't remember a goth crowd, maybe that was RiRa, the club entrance was next door I think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

The Asylum, Sides, The Ormond & The Olympic Ballroom

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

I miss a bunch of the old tralee pubs. The pig & whistle, the hole in the wall, the rambling house, the town and country. The town and country had great sandwiches and the owner used to give me a cadburys cream egg on my birthday every year (St. Patricks day). But like many places in Ireland the town has gone quiet and with it all the old places have shut up shop or changed for the worse.

Also a shout out to spirals. "The Disco".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Paparazzi and The Top Hat, both in Dun Laoghaire.

Ziggy's in Deansgrange

Those places were just mental.

The joke at the time was that you would get frisked for weapons at the door of Ziggys. If you didn't have one, they would give you one.

At least, i think it was only a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Menas wrote: »
    Only thing that gets pulled in there these days is Pork.

Euphemism??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

kfallon wrote: »
    Euphemism??

Pulled Pork! What they serve in fancy eateries!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

No mention of Fireworks in the old Tara St. fire station yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Break for the border is also still there

But Bartley Dunnes is long gone and probably best forgotten:D What a kip it was, people talk like it was great but just another dirty city hovel like so many of the time.

The Hitching Post was a great spot as was Fibber's and there was also many many pints drank in the George years ago before it extended into the place next door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Menas wrote: »
    Pulled Pork! What they serve in fancy eateries!

Ohhhhhhh......... :p

Advertisement