Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remembering Old Bars and Clubs

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

Zenniths or K2 on Howth head, can't remember which came first...couldn't swing a cat in the place. No nostalgia coming from me on this one, the place was a shįtehole and used as a last resort kip in times of desperation. Think it's where a heavily pregnant Sharon Curly decided to get wrecked in and spewed in her handbag. This scene was entirely befitting of the place and its punters. Got kind of an attempted hand job given to me through my Wrangler jeans and was delighted with myself, other than that only bad memories and seriously long walks home.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

thats why I drank in the Schooners, it was a pacifists bar :)

some great bands played there too!

Might have been more down to the sweet smelling haze as you walked in.

:D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

The Blue Banana in Clondalkin. Remember there were shots fired outside two Saturday nights in a row. If you wanted to go more upmarket, there was Cocos on the Belgard Road (which I think might be still open).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭paulbok

Fibbers when I was in college, before it got done up in the mid-late 90's (done up being a bit of a stretch, but altered no less):D
    The back Gate, sister club of Fibbers, college nights - hated the place but my friends loved it. There was a corridor that sometimes was open that led into Fibbers, used to disappear in there after a dring or two.

Once I started working,
    The Thing Moate,
    Colombia Mills,
    Pravda - I loved that place.
    Redbox
    The Kitchen,
    The Mean Fiddler, became the Village, now Opium.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Does anyone else remember Shaft in Dublin? I was only there a couple of times and was beginning to think I dreamt it but I heard they have reunion gigs now and again on Tonik radio

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

The Blue Banana in Clondalkin. Remember there were shots fired outside two Saturday nights in a row. If you wanted to go more upmarket, there was Cocos on the Belgard Road (which I think might be still open).
    I was working the door one of the nights :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

paulbok wrote: »
    Fibbers when I was in college, before it got done up in the mid-late 90's (done up being a bit of a stretch, but altered no less):D
    The back Gate, sister club of Fibbers, college nights - hated the place but my friends loved it. There was a corridor that sometimes was open that led into Fibbers, used to disappear in there after a dring or two.

Once I started working,
    The Thing Moate,
    Colombia Mills,
    Pravda - I loved that place.
    Redbox
    The Kitchen,
    The Mean Fiddler, became the Village, now Opium.

Pravda, in its first few years, was a great spot. Good service and a decent crowd. Was in there recently and it was very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭BUBBLES1978

Nijinsky's on the Curragh
    camolin in wexford
    wise guys in tullamore

all in the 90's....pure mental spots

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭DublinCJM

stopped going to annabels after brian murphy. I never thought it was that great anyway.

That was way after my time. You probably didn't even need to wear a tie to get in then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Does anyone else remember Shaft in Dublin? I was only there a couple of times and was beginning to think I dreamt it but I heard they have reunion gigs now and again on Tonik radio

Nearly forgot about shaft.... On Ely place I think, though I was often well on by that stage.

Anyone go to Elevator on the Quays?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,237 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Shaft? You're damn right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,125 ✭✭✭Grueller

Nijinsky's on the Curragh
    camolin in wexford
    wise guys in tullamore

all in the 90's....pure mental spots

Lamberts in Camolin? Turned into some dive after.
    Anybody ever frequent the beacon night club in Courtown?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Katie Daly's in Tipperary, Ballina/killaloe direction

Mad place.. underage drinking, fighting, shifting and general culchie shenanigans

it was mainly disco's but sometimes they would have live acts like Gina dale haze and the champions, Linda Martin & Chips, The Fureys, Smokie etc etc

and on the odd occasion they would have a "video Disco" a big screen showing videos of the major pop hits of the time

ahhh those were the days *sigh

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Henry's was exceptional. Used also go to the Oval before renovation. Was never a regular but was in the Liberty plenty of times - it was the place that sold cans and used to be frequented by the frank and walters?
    How about Jack Plugs, was my first regular? Used to play a lot of suede, stone roses etc.

Don't forget Fanny Adams either.

I used to really like the Bodega as it was in the late 90s. The current version of the Bodega does nothing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Just the standard of Dj'ing and atmosphere was exceptional. You would often have buses of people from Limerick, Waterford, Dublin etc especially for the bigger dance nights sweat on saturday, imrama on Thursday and Sunday was very popular too. More alternative on Wednesdays and Fridays with freakscene and gigantic. Its last year or so was terrible after a walk out by the dj's after an altercation with a bouncer I think.

Jack Plugs was the bar next door to the entrance of Henrys became rattle sanke annies and something else before demolition.

How about Tuesdays in Zoe's? Cant remember what it was called but was a great night.

I was a Wed/Fri person in Henry's, rather than the dance nights. It was an exceptional club - it played the best selection of music, freedom to mosh and dance. Cheap drinks and a different atmosphere in every room. I have so many fond memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

remember when the Gaiety used to be open as a late bar?
    Didn't they show old films too?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Drop the Ball

philstar wrote: »
    Katie Daly's in Tipperary, Ballina/killaloe direction

Mad place.. underage drinking, fighting, shifting and general culchie shenanigans...ahhh those were the days *sigh

Katie Daly's, you could not have described any better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭John T Carroll

The Wharf Tavern in (or near) Alexander Basin, one of the best, if not THE best pint(s) of Guiness I have drank in a long life of stout drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

There used to be a cool little bar in Howth that I used to go to for a game of pool in the late 90s/early 2000s that has now since closed. I only realized when I went to go back around 2008. Shame, used to love that place. It was up the side road where the Garda station is. Loads of fishermen used to drink in it.

That place used to be called the lighthouse. The Cock in Howth is also closed and does anyone remember The Coach house beside the Hotel ( Good times).
    Also when O'Connells used to be the pier house it was a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Zenniths or K2 on Howth head, can't remember which came first...couldn't swing a cat in the place. No nostalgia coming from me on this one, the place was a shįtehole and used as a last resort kip in times of desperation. Think it's where a heavily pregnant Sharon Curly decided to get wrecked in and spewed in her handbag. This scene was entirely befitting of the place and its punters. Got kind of an attempted hand job given to me through my Wrangler jeans and was delighted with myself, other than that only bad memories and seriously long walks home.
    That was Charlies, one of my underage drinking haunts back in the day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

That was Charlies, one of my underage drinking haunts back in the day

I remember that place well, didn't they used to bring out chips and sausages at some point during the night?

My stomping ground was Legends of Sound in the Gresham hotel, still miss it to this day

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

NV Nightclub was my favourite club before they went and called a bunch of their customers knackers and c*nts on Facebook leading to a bankcruptcy inducing boycott by customers :p

Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaysus good time Charlies havent heard that name uttered in a while.
    The disco bar in the racecourse in Baldoyle was good fun or Barcode, anyone remember that place

Buckfast W wrote: »
    Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaysus good time Charlies havent heard that name uttered in a while.
    The disco bar in the racecourse in Baldoyle was good fun or Barcode, anyone remember that place

Barcode was in the gym in Fairview wasn't it? I used to go there until they started pumping dance music into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,247 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Club Sara in rathfarnam.
    Been in a fair oul few scraps down there. Once the tallaght lads mixed with the white church heads shît would hit the fan.

Best thing to happen rathfarnham was that kip closing down. Scum magnet.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Buckfast W wrote: »

Came to post about barcode. What a place. One wrong turn at the loo and you'd be surrounded by Dracula statues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Anyone go to Club USI in Dublin? You had to get a stamp on your student card to get in, and once in you paid around £2 or £2.50 per pint.
    I had many great nights in there.

Barcode was a mad place, yeah it was in the gym in Fairview (Westwood). They had u need sex toilets and all. Funny thing was they had planning and license permission for a bar for members, just not a bar that could hold about a thousand people, they were back and forth in the courts for years over it until they finally got shut down. I reckon everything is still in the place though.

fjon wrote: »
    Anyone go to Club USI in Dublin? You had to get a stamp on your student card to get in, and once in you paid around £2 or £2.50 per pint.
    I had many great nights in there.

Yeah I used to spend many an evening playing pool there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

Galavan's of New Ross in the 90s anyone??

Advertisement