Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remembering Old Bars and Clubs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The System, it was just off Grafton Street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Kiss nightclub in drogheda,used to be Luciano's before that...also the rosnaree hotel just before it,had some mad nights in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Buckfast W wrote: »
    They had u need sex toilets and all
    :-0

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

That was Charlies, one of my underage drinking haunts back in the day

A age old debate only had by northsiders with a sharp eye and the unlikely ability to be sober enough to remember what Zeniths actually looks like on the inside...they filmed the nightclub scene in Zeniths where she spewed and then used Charlie's for the scene outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

The Old Rogue in Waterford was a great spot, full of hairy bikers, and brilliant music:)
    Cheers nightclub was good too, back when you got your supper ticket going in, and a feed later on in the night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,208 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Thread bump :pac:

Wow some memories here.

Was in DIT Kevin St late 80s-early 90s - Junction Bar (although it was actualy called John McGraths) for pints. Used to have the most amazing bursted yet still comfortable sofas and a great jukebox. When I started lager was £1.30 a pint and Guinness £1.05 or so. This was the upstairs, the downstairs was strictly for grumpy old locals and would throw students out :pac: Then in the early 90s they 'renovated' the upstairs, stripped out the comfy seats and installed those fucking horrible standing-up type tables, and a few tall stools, the idea presumably that people on their feet will drink faster :rolleyes: at that point it was deserted for the many other options in the area.

Olympic Ballroom for events - it had a mezzanine or whatever you call it level which was the spot for surreptitious riding, and yes I did indulge

The Bleedin' Horse opened up a couple of years later, after having been derelict for about 20 years. Was always regarded as too poncy and expensive for students, maybe that was their plan, and it's not like Camden St area has a shortage of bars... Was in Charlies a couple of times but don't remember much as I was pretty drunk when we moved on in there. Ryan's opened up and it was the 'too posh for the Junction' place to go around there, until Devitts was renovated and it took over, then Whelan's came along...

Sides - once claimed to have been in there to appear cool. Was never actually in there :pac:

Club M was a dump even then. Was in there ten years later and it hadn't improved.

Zoo Bar - was in there once post-exams, don't remember anything apart from dodgy cocktails and pretentiousness. You're supposed to feel privileged to be let in but the place had practically nothing going for it. Not the first nor the last kip to trade on supposed exclusivity.

Top Hat - was in there only once but it was the Nirvana / Sonic Youth gig in 1991. Still got the stub, and yes I was there for every note from both bands. Kurt Cobain had to lug his own gear onto the stage. They were LOUD as in My Bloody Valentine loud. Visceral. Amazing.

Fibbers - would've been right up my alley at the time but never actually went there. One night I copped off and her friends were all going to Fibbers, I chose to go to her place...

Isolde's Tower - where middle aged civil servants from the numerous nearby Revenue offices ended up on a "work do" when the proper pubs closed :p

The Sub - I grew up in Crumlin and it had a dodgy rep even in the 70s. I remember ending up in there at the end of a Sunday drive close to 40 years ago (somehow my dad's Sunday family drives always ended up in a pub) and he led me by the hand into a jacks cubicle and there was just a raw hole in the floor where somebody had wrenched off an entire toilet and left nothing but this entry into the sewer... it's not the worst "pub jacks you ever experienced as a kid" though as that was some unremembered place outside the greater Dublin area where the entire gents (a step down from the door) was flooded with two inches of watery urine.

Banna Beach - was there in the early 00s at a biker rally, 200-ish bikers pitching tents in the green in the middle of the holiday homes. IIRC there were three interlinked rooms that night, one with Black Sabbath etc. for us lot, one small one with Brendan Shine type stuff for the local oul wans and a 'dance' room for the local lads off their face on whatever. Some conflicts when room C drifted into room A and kicked up. Mad contrast between the three all in one place and IIRC mostly being served at the same bar.

Went back there 2012 for a family holiday, I vaguely recognised the place but a totally different vibe :pac:

McGonagles - was only in there a couple of times but a great place and much missed. Wine bar and Champagne cider :pac:

There was a somewhat dodgy bar we used to go to sometimes on Upper O'Connell St too- had to look up the name - Madigans. Still there. Due to my lengthy fingers I once made nearly a tenner in profit stroking 50p pieces from the back of the wooden cigarette machine refund slot which were out of the reach of most people :pac: that was nearly as much fun as years later cleaning out the "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" quiz machine in a place in Ranelagh on a weekly basis...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Fibber McGees on Parnell St - I practically lived there in my college years in the mid 90s.

Temple of Sound on Ormonde Quay, The System and Columbia Mills.

The UCD Sports Bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭winnie the schtink

anyone remember PEEKERS in dunlaoghaire ,or LONGNECKS in ballina

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭torres9kop

The Bull and bear stillorgan then into hollywood nights after

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

Great post, Hotblack.

You forgot McGrath's on Upper O' Connell Street. I got dragged along there regularly. I know a marriage that came out of there. A very unlikely pair. Still married all these years later.

Zoo Bar was the Pink Elephant before that. Some good nights there and some cringey moments. A guy from a college course used be giving me the eye over the bunsen burners. One night he spotted me in the Pink Elephant and sidled over. I had only had about one drink at that stage. I had to pretend I was way more drunk than I actually was, that I didn't even recognise him just to fob him off. Still had to face him the following week.

I have no idea about Isolde's Tower or where that was. Might have been before my time. Edit: I now know where it is/was. The Czech Inn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭matchthis

The station in Rathmines, late 90's. Was always packed and a good crowd. Never ventured down the road to trampco. Seemed another popular spot

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Madonnas in Temple bar was a tiny tourist trap nightclub but I always had great craic there. Closed about 3 or 4 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Ah the memories. Also the LA in Maynooth.

Loved the Palace on Camden Street. Hated Zanzibar and Tramco. The Gaiety used do a great club night for a while.

What was the nightclub in the Portobello called circa 2002? Also have vague memories of a dreadful place in Temple Bar called Isolde's Tower, no idea what became of it.
    I hated Zanzibar and trampco myself, the palace was miles better!
    I remember a cool night club in Portobello too, 2001 ish in a basement right by the bridge
    isoldes tower is still there now called the Czech inn. Still a kip too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

Temple Theater Dublin..... Place was mental

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Late bars killed the nightclub a fair bit. Used to be a load of clubs in South Dublin that are now long gone.

Flamingos / Hollywood Nights / Deep - Stillorgan
    Bondai - Stillorgan
    There was one above the Leop Inn too - Racy Nights possibly?
    Mistys - above Lamb Doyles
    Club Apres - Kilternan Hotel
    Marlays - Taylors Three Rock, Rathfarnham
    Faces - Churchtown
    Club Sarah - Rathfarnham
    There was one in Terence too where the Tesco is now - can't remember the name of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

The red box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Pink Flamingo @Stillorgan Park Hotel.

...several in Leeson St too, but I can't for the life of me remember their names :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

Not a fadó fadó memory. The Bróg in Cork before it was renovated. Sticky floors, manky seats and music that you could never quite hear. Unless it was live, which was usually quite good. Heckling the bingo when 69 was called.

Started quite a few nights out with the €3 pints before 11. Had two friends down from college in Dublin one time and they were astounded at being able to get a round for 3 people for €9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

The Sportsman's Inn, Mt. Merrion. Live music nearly every night with great residencies. The Lookalikes, Bogey Boys, Fureys, Bagatelle, Full Circle. I nearly lived in the place & the bouncers were sound as long as you looked 18

As for Blinkers in Leopardstown Race Course, what a kip. In those days, they had to serve a 'substantial meal' to get the late licence. Halfway through the night, the houselights went on full, the bars stopped serving and patrons queued up for the almightiest paper plate of greasy slop they called chicken curry. Great nights altogether :)

• Advertisement

Night Owls in Ranelagh.

Why I am I remembering all the rubbish ones? Can't forget the Mean Fiddler my most regular hangout of that era.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

LordSutch wrote: »
    :)

Always full of middle aged men leaning on the rails of 'the pit' leering at young wans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Late bars killed the nightclub a fair bit. Used to be a load of clubs in South Dublin that are now long gone.

Flamingos / Hollywood Nights / Deep - Stillorgan
    Bondai - Stillorgan
    There was one above the Leop Inn too - Racy Nights possibly?
    Mistys - above Lamb Doyles
    Club Apres - Kilternan Hotel
    Marlays - Taylors Three Rock, Rathfarnham
    Faces - Churchtown
    Club Sarah - Rathfarnham
    There was one in Terence too where the Tesco is now - can't remember the name of it.

Showing my age - was in all of them.

Terenure House was Itchy Feet.

Add Night Owls in Ranelagh and Cloud 9 in Spawell.

Also Blinkers in leopardstown racecourse (now club 92)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Do you know what's worse than people taking about pubs they drink in?

Talking about pubs that no longer exist they drank in.

Flanagan's in Sooey ;)

Always full of middle aged men leaning on the rails of 'the pit' leering at young wans
    The opposite of that was probably Sachs on Morehampton Road where all the cougars went to pick up a toy boy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

LordSutch wrote: »

...several in Leeson St too, but I can't for the life of me remember their names :)

Hmmm...
    Blondes
    Streets
    Leggs
    Buck whaleys
    Cats
    Suesey street

Can't remember the one on corner of Leeson and hatch.

Another old old favourite was Sloopys on Fleet street and Zhivago on Baggot street (where love stories begin)

And finally...

The best til last...

"The Big Apple" above the Baggot Inn. Parents used to drop their under age kids to the door knowing they wouldn't gey drunk cos the drink was watered down by a huge margin. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Walter2016 wrote: »
    Can't remember the one on corner of Leeson and hatch

Strings?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

pajor wrote: »
    Not a fadó fadó memory. The Bróg in Cork before it was renovated. Sticky floors, manky seats and music that you could never quite hear. Unless it was live, which was usually quite good. Heckling the bingo when 69 was called.

Started quite a few nights out with the €3 pints before 11. Had two friends down from college in Dublin one time and they were astounded at being able to get a round for 3 people for €9.
    Ah did they do it up? Bah.

I used to live in Cork, had some great nights in there, even if I was little older than the average age. Cheap pints, decent music, dank dive, horrible toilet...it had it all.

I suppose they jacked up the prices since the old days?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Any frequenters of The Flowing Tide downstairs bar? Neptune bar I think it was.

Some great times in there back in the late 90s to early 2000s. Closed now I believe. Was a good spot. Used to be packed out, decent jukebox, nice enough crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

KungPao wrote: »
    Any frequenters of The Flowing Tide downstairs bar? Neptune bar I think it was.

Some great times in there back in the late 90s to early 2000s. Closed now I believe. Was a good spot. Used to be packed out, decent jukebox, nice enough crowd.

Was a not very frequent visitor.

Think a buddy tried a night in there couple years back but I may be mistaken.

Advertisement