Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remembering Old Bars and Clubs

Options
  • 26-08-2015 8:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

I was on Exchequer St and then Dame Court in Dublin 2. There was a bar there back in around '02 before the Exchequer. I think it had a bit of a reputation for serving underage folk like myself. I was 16 or 17 when I got served. I remember it as being with a few heads that hung around Temple Bar.. (yes, those freaky goth, hippy, grungers) Can anyone remember the name of it? My friend seems to think it began with a 'C.'

Also, feel free to reminisce about Nightclubs or pubs you loved growing up that aren't there any more.

Comments

Back in the day - I used to hang out with a lot of the grungers and goths from Central Bank and the bar we used to always go to was Fibber McGees for our underage drinking. Never went anywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Wasn't a Club a bar. Or was it a biscuit? We used to say they were bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The Roxy in Waterford.

The gents' had no door and the ladies' flooded, but by gods the music was loud and the beer was cold, and they'd sell Jaegermeister to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭RayCon

McGonagles, South Anne St. Knocked down years ago, still miss it. :( *sniff*

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

kylith wrote: »
    The Roxy in Waterford.

The gents' had no door and the ladies' flooded, but by gods the music was loud and the beer was cold, and they'd sell Jaegermeister to anyone.

The Bok only passed away a couple of months ago :(

• Advertisement

Sir Henrys, Cork, early 90s.

Just...legendary.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Club Sara in rathfarnam.
    Been in a fair oul few scraps down there. Once the tallaght lads mixed with the white church heads shît would hit the fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Wasn't a Club a bar. Or was it a biscuit? We used to say they were bars.

Now now, its a biscuit not a bar !

"If you like a lotta chocolate on your biscuit join our club"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

Paparazzi and The Top Hat, both in Dun Laoghaire.

Ziggy's in Deansgrange

Those places were just mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Breens in Waterford, you could pay the bouncer 20p each and he'd let ye in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Dorian Grays in Frankfurt airport, that place was just epic. They closed for renovation around 1999 or 2000 and never opened again. Really miss that place. I remember doing Sambucas one night in there and I lit the whole bar :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

The original Hennigans in Sligo was a great bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Sir Henry's in Cork - quite possibly the greatest music venue & club that ever existed. I still feel sad that it's gone.

The Oval in Cork, before it got polished up, was a great pub. Black & White Russians for 2 quid each, poured out of a 2l coke bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

The Palace in Camden street, I dont mean the way it is now I mean the way it was back in the early 2000's, upstairs for dance music (with the green lasers) and downstairs for the pop music which included a little sample of the A team theme tune or baywatch to mix it up a little, the dance floor used to go wild! Every thursday without fail, great times, there have never been nights like it since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

The Vintage on Camden street. A dirty old, spit and sawdust, pub that is long gone. Back around 1991, a pint of Guinness would set you back £1.50, which was cheap even back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Ska nights at Bensons in the Parnell Mooney I remember fondly,very lax drug policy.Happy times.Had some brilliant nights in the castle in Finglas too,they also had a very pragmatic drug policy. Early morning dancing in The White Horse,a 'niteclub' that opened at 7.30 am...No prizes for guessing their drug policy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

kfallon wrote: »
    The Bok only passed away a couple of months ago :(

The Bok was my introduction to Waterford.. he was hilarious.

dudara wrote: »
    Sir Henry's in Cork - quite possibly the greatest music venue & club that ever existed. I still feel sad that it's gone.

The Oval in Cork, before it got polished up, was a great pub. Black & White Russians for 2 quid each, poured out of a 2l coke bottle.

I used to play in Sir Henrys every Wednesday night in the back bar upstairs,

and I also used to go to the Oval when it opened first. Ever go to The Liberty?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Spirals Nightclub in Tralee,

Used to have an ad on 2fm

"See your face in the place"

Spirals Nightclub in Tralee,

Used to have an ad on 2fm

"See your face in the place"

Remember it 20 years back...it just seemed more exciting than Horans!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

Ska nights at Bensons in the Parnell Mooney I remember fondly,very lax drug policy.Happy times.Had some brilliant nights in the castle in Finglas too,they also had a very pragmatic drug policy. Early morning dancing in The White Horse,a 'niteclub' that opened at 7.30 am...No prizes for guessing their drug policy!

They have The Breakfast Club there now. It's called The Dark Horse now though and people don't eat sausages or beans... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Cuba in Galway was my college haunt, closed about 5 years ago. The first floor of the nightclub was pop, R&B, 90s etc and the second floor was rock and indie. Bar 903 on the ground floor always had brilliant bands and salsa nights and good cocktails. We were gutted when it closed, we were in the place every week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Do you know what's worse than people taking about pubs they drink in?

Talking about pubs that no longer exist they drank in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

They have The Breakfast Club there now. It's called The Dark Horse now though and people don't eat sausages or beans... ;)

I've been in midweek a couple of times for an early Eye-opener, different name, different clientele.All stockbrokers and cocksmokers these days :o

Do you know what's worse than people taking about pubs they drink in?

Talking about pubs that no longer exist they drank in.

remember the Hair of the Dog in Moville??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

remember the Hair of the Dog in Moville??

I remember when it was the Anchor. I'm sure someone somewhere remembers when it was the shipping office for the boat to the US.

Very few reading this care about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

McGowans/Rodeo Jobs in Churchtown was my local nightclub. I worked in supervalu across the road so the bouncers new me and let me in even though I was underage.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,529 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

The Temple Theatre in Dublin,
    God what a kip but the nights out in there where unreal,

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭via4

Tripod!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

Paparazzi and The Top Hat, both in Dun Laoghaire.

Ziggy's in Deansgrange

Those places were just mental.

I was resident DJ in all three back then, as well as Scruples in the Kingston... the stuff I saw, from Ridin' to Killin' and everything inbetween...

Advertisement