Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remembering Old Bars and Clubs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,581 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Anyone ever go to Tomango out in Malahide back in the day ,
    It was a meat market

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Often wondered why Fireworks never reopened....it was a great space with different levels perfect for a club

Rumour was the fire station got it closed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

For a few years in the early 90s before the Pink Elephant went on to become Renards, it was known as the Zoo Bar and was a gem of a place. There was a large cocktail bar on the main level (my Piña Colada drinking era) playing tunes like Happy Mondays and the rest of the levels/rooms all had different music playing, from Faith No More, Grunge etc, to Acid House in the basement. William Tell was a decent spot back the also.

ah yes, the Zoo bar - with the cocktail happy hour that was 2 or 3 hours long.. the flaming orgasms & other suitably named cocktails!!!

Thing Moot was the Suffolk back then, the Hairy Lemon was the William Tell, and Dartley Bums was being demolished....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Anyone ever go to Tomango out in Malahide back in the day ,
    It was a meat market

Tomangoes where the gang goes. Kip. Wasn't it in Portmarnock?

Speaking of North Dublin kips, K2 on Howth Summit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Winty wrote: »
    Do you remember Nero's Nightclub? or the Shamrock if your older

Remember neros like yesterday.. I was in the Shamrock a couple of times too.

• Advertisement

Winty wrote: »
    Did anyone drink in a bar called "The Thing Mote"

I was in it a few times.

Anyone ever drink up in the Submarine bar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

The Master wrote: »
    I'm not doubting either of you guys but jaysus The Top Hat must of been the size of Croke park the amount of people who claim they were at that gig.
    It's like the GPO in 1916.

Well, tbh, I would doubt the amount of people that said they seen Nirvana play also, as the road was packed from the railings all the way down to the service station when they were on and I'd at best there was maybe 200 inside. I had twin deck copy of Bleach and even I didn't want to go in and see them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

That was a subtly weird place, as far as I remember it sort of marketed itself as an alternative place but was actually full of still in the closet sleazy gay guys.
    Was frequented by mr "Goes Wild" too AFAIK.
    Says a lot when a place is significantly improved by turning into the Czech Inn.

Is it the Czech Inn now? I was only ever there when already very drunk so don't even remember exactly where it was, just that it was awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Sort of curious about Sir Henry's, Cork people like to big everything up and you always love the place you first start drinking/doing drugs/seeing gigs in is its rep just those two things combining?, I loved the Nerve Centre and Gweedore (Derry)but without the Rose Tinted glasses its just another indie bar and small venue that happens to have your friends in it.

Just the standard of Dj'ing and atmosphere was exceptional. You would often have buses of people from Limerick, Waterford, Dublin etc especially for the bigger dance nights sweat on saturday, imrama on Thursday and Sunday was very popular too. More alternative on Wednesdays and Fridays with freakscene and gigantic. Its last year or so was terrible after a walk out by the dj's after an altercation with a bouncer I think.

Jack Plugs was the bar next door to the entrance of Henrys became rattle sanke annies and something else before demolition.

How about Tuesdays in Zoe's? Cant remember what it was called but was a great night.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Some great raves at the Red Box down the years, particularly Dave Clarke in 2003.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Is it the Czech Inn now? I was only ever there when already very drunk so don't even remember exactly where it was, just that it was awful.

Fairly certain it is, possibly the Czech in occupies the spot next door, Isolde's is gone for possibly ten years at the this stage.
    Downstairs and upstairs in the Czech Inn are very different beasts, the upstairs is a "traditional" eastern european bar, which since its open very late,you can actually have a conversation in the place and reasonable bouncers it actually serves a purpose. Downstairs is just bad disco.

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Just the standard of Dj'ing and atmosphere was exceptional. You would often have buses of people from Limerick, Waterford, Dublin etc especially for the bigger dance nights sweat on saturday, imrama on Thursday and Sunday was very popular too. More alternative on Wednesdays and Fridays with freakscene and gigantic. Its last year or so was terrible after a walk out by the dj's after an altercation with a bouncer I think.

Jack Plugs was the bar next door to the entrance of Henrys became rattle sanke annies and something else before demolition.

How about Tuesdays in Zoe's? Cant remember what it was called but was a great night.

I remember it now.. is Snotty Joes still there?

I was a student in Crawford and I played in a Cork based blues band for a couple of years. We used to play Charlies, Mojos, and Nancy Spains regularly. We also had a regular spot upstairs in Sir Henrys and the odd time we played the Meeting House in Middleton. The good old days :) !

I remember it now.. is Snotty Joes still there?

I was a student in Crawford and I played in a Cork based blues band for a couple of years. We used to play Charlies, Mojos, and Nancy Spains regularly. We also had a regular spot upstairs in Sir Henrys and the odd time we played the Meeting House in Middleton. The good old days :) !

Snotty Joes, theres still a pub there but cant remember the name. 40is biker type crowd I think.
    I was never fond off nancies but was a college favourite in the late 90s. I drank in the meeting place a few times too - Rory Gallagher tribute bar vibe if I remember correctly.

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Snotty Joes, theres still a pub there but cant remember the name. 40is biker type crowd I think.
    I was never fond off nancies but was a college favourite in the late 90s. I drank in the meeting place a few times too - Rory Gallagher tribute bar vibe if I remember correctly.

yes, we covered some Gallagher tunes, thats how we got the gig in the first place. The Meeting House was one of those places you were well looked after if you happened to be playing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Remember neros like yesterday.. I was in the Shamrock a couple of times too.

It was a better time. Less fights on The Diamond after the lads got out their frustrations wearing the face off some young one during the slow set/erection section. The girl fights were scary though, gawd they could be vicious sometimes standing up for their man.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    It was a better time. Less fights on The Diamond after the lads got out their frustrations wearing the face off some young one during the slow set/erection section. The girl fights were scary though, gawd they could be vicious sometimes standing up for their man.

thats why I drank in the Schooners, it was a pacifists bar :)

some great bands played there too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

The greatest travesty visited on Galway was closing Taylor's and opening a lap dancing joint in its stead. That bar was the best, with oul' crochety Seamus.

Padraicin's and the Harbour were mental.

I'd some great times at 110th street in the Town Hall. Cuba was class. But better was O'Malleys across the road, total rave cave.

Bartley Dunnes was some spot back in the day. The OLD Foggy Dew, Fibbers and Bruxelles. The Welcome and Thornbush on Parnell St. Old Bruxelles. Chinaman and Charlie's.

Who could forget Sides? McGonagles of course. No beer only wine. The Pink Elephant for happy hour cocktails on a Tuesday, no idea how we got in there.

Misspent youth indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,126 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Paparazzi and The Top Hat, both in Dun Laoghaire.

Ziggy's in Deansgrange

Those places were just mental.

Am I the only one that remembers the top hat in dun laoghaire being a roller skating place? I have a vague memory of going there when I was a kid, maybe I'm totally wrong though!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Switch in Temple bar was a great nightclub.

Anyone remember the night in zoe's cork (upstairs of black bush/scotts, not sure what it is now) around 98/99/2000 i reckon called Mór Disco?

I first went after being in a hostel in London and reading the top 20 European nightclubs and it was the only Irish one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Am I the only one that remembers the top hat in dun laoghaire being a roller skating place? I have a vague memory of going there when I was a kid, maybe I'm totally wrong though!

Yes it was. I think they were called roller discos. I think that must have been before 1983ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,126 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Yes it was. I think they were called roller discos. I think that must have been before 1983ish.

This would have been the late 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

I remember the roller disco in the Top Hat fondly, though I preferred Ice Skating in Dolphin's Barn. Always ended up on my ar$e in both places though.
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

This would have been the late 80s.

Yeah, thinking about it, that makes more sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭ejabrod

Revels nightclub Killarney?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Aidric wrote: »
    Some great raves at the Red Box down the years, particularly Dave Clarke in 2003.

Ha red box, saw more than one person attempting to eat their own head in there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

There used to be a cool little bar in Howth that I used to go to for a game of pool in the late 90s/early 2000s that has now since closed. I only realized when I went to go back around 2008. Shame, used to love that place. It was up the side road where the Garda station is. Loads of fishermen used to drink in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Boring username

Ballybunion had the Alantic and then you had a nightclub in Banna just outside Tralee

Hahaha, I had my 14th birthday party there! What a kip. I caught a stray punch the minute I walked in the door. They had to bolt down all the seats and chairs to stop them being used as weapons. They locals didn't like townies much. Or anybody else, for that matter.

Still though, there's a lot to be said for that lawless mad max style partying.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

DublinCJM wrote: »
    And Faces was what became of The Breamor Rooms in Churchtown...

Nobody go to Annabels in the Burlington?

Remember in the eighties having to put on a suit to get in there :D

stopped going to annabels after brian murphy. I never thought it was that great anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

Ha red box, saw more than one person attempting to eat their own head in there

Went here a good bit,Had a few tasty drinks in the chocolate bar before hand a few times.

I think I was way out of my depth though, I was just there for a drink and a dance, loved dancing up on the stage. i think there were people on far more than drink though and I was too innocent and young to realise!

Advertisement