Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2015/16 : See Mod Note Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I'm not a happy bunny cause I know we'll never get this weather again or for a least a very long time....

Yep here's the only real-Winters months/seasons (heavy snow and cold) I have experienced:

*March 2013 - the last true Winter month I experienced
    *December 2010 - nothing will beat this month! One of my favourite months ever.
    *November 2010 - the end of the month was amazing
    *January 2010
    *December 2009
    *November 1996
    *December 1995

See hardly any!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Looking at the TAF (Aviation forecast) for Krakow airport, there's heavy snow/heavy rain snow forecast there for tonight. Current temp of 5c.

Where Ireland are drawing in Warsaw, its a chilly 4c.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭XplaygirlX

sryanbruen wrote:
    *December 2010 - nothing will beat this month! One of my favourite months ever. *November 2010 - the end of the month was amazing

Love this quote sryanbruen! And your absolutely right. Let's just hope and pray that we get some sort of a winter this year. :)

Is it true that the Atlantic is warmer than usual?
    If so, we're in for a sh!te winter...again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Tindie wrote: »
    This is links is 5 years old and still makes happy lol
    https://youtu.be/dHwAamQ0b9Y

Don't think we are ever going to anything like that again
    Or are we ...............

I don't see why not? 2009/2010 didn't set any records for snowfall depths at any Met Eireann stations according to Met Eireann data from 1961-2011.

• Advertisement

sryanbruen wrote:
    *December 2010 - nothing will beat this month! One of my favourite months ever. *November 2010 - the end of the month was amazing

Love this quote sryanbruen! And your absolutely right. Let's just hope and pray that we get some sort of a winter this year. :)

Yep there is like 90% chance, we will get at least a colder than normal Winter due to El Nino (cold Atlantic) as well as the continent is getting unusually cold early. The attachment shows my station's temperature records for December 2010. As ya can see, hardly a day had average or above average temperatures. My average for December 2010 turned out to be -2.2c (equalling as coldest month on record with February 1986). I am hoping that we will get at least around a mean temperature of 1c for (at least again) one of the Winter months.

No the Atlantic is much colder than normal which is why we've been having such a cold year (none of my months have been warmer than normal yet) due to frequent northwesterly winds off a COLD Atlantic. I don't know where you got that fact from that it was warmer than normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

I don't see why not? 2009/2010 didn't set any records for snowfall depths at any Met Eireann stations according to Met Eireann data from 1961-2011.

December 2010 did however of the following Winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

It's actually colder than normal but we could still be in for a shi!te winter depending on your perspective;)

• Advertisement

Please god. Hate the rain, but I love snow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Snow IS falling now!

..in Poland. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭johndeere3350

Nice day today.
    I'll take as many of these as we get until it turns nasty.
    The snow and ice is nice I love it as much as the next one but there us going to be alot of mucky weather between here and next may

If anything, dryer, Hopefully.

Unfortunately, my area has been wetter than normal too but also quite sunnier than normal. Statistics - yes I know this isn't my "soapbox" as I've been argued to about before but this is to compare with others. First percentage is % of LTA rainfall, deviation of average is temperature and second percentage is % of LTA sunshine.

January - Dry and relatively cold. Sunniest January on record. 49%, -0.8c, 229%

February - Dry and sunny but very cold. 64%, -1.2c, 116%

March - Relatively wet and cold but very sunny. 118%, -0.8c, 150%

April - Sunniest April on record. Very dry and cold (due to nights). 46%, -0.7c, 167%

May - Wettest May on record. Very cold and dull. 291%, -1.7c, 82%

June - Cold during most of the month. Mainly sunny and very dry. 31%, -0.7c, 112%

July - Second dullest July on record. Very cold and wet. 173%, -1.2c, 67%

August - Very wet second half. Mainly sunny and cold. 135%, -1.2c, 115%

September - Extremely wet on individual days but very sunny and cold. 115%, -1.9c, 140%

October (so far) - At my driest October on record, relatively sunny and cold. 13%, -0.5c, 44%

No month has been warmer than normal so far. May and July were some of the poorest months I ever came across - along with August 2008 & 2011, March 2013, January 2013, June 2012, July 2012. Anyway, back to the thread title, I hope this Winter is like the Winter of 2010/11 without that February.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Accuweather winter forecast..
    High pressure to the north of the United Kingdom for much of the winter season will result in a very typical winter for parts of northwest Europe with stretches of tranquil weather and overall near-normal temperatures.

While the winter will not be free of cold air masses and powerful wind storms, much of the season will pass with near-normal temperatures and only occasional storms.

The greatest threat for damaging wind storms in the United Kingdom, Ireland and northwest Europe appears to be through December as storms approaching from the Atlantic will push into western Europe.

As the winter progresses, this storm track will press farther south and limit the threat for any damaging wind events, resulting in periods of tranquil weather from England into northern France and western Germany.

According to AccuWeather Senior Meteorologist Alan Reppert, "The United Kingdom and Ireland look to avoid the worst storm impacts as most of the storm systems track to the south across France and northern Spain.

Extreme cold is also expected to be limited for northwest Europe as the core of the cold air builds over Scandinavia and then is unleashed southward with only brief periods of below-normal temperatures reaching northwest Europe.

The one exception will be Ireland and Scotland where colder-than-normal water temperatures in the North Atlantic will keep high temperatures below normal for much of the winter. Overnight low temperatures will still be near normal.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/2015-2016-europe-winter-forecast-seasonable-london-paris-storms-france-italy-alps/52871620

Just one more forecast to add to the list dosn't mean our winter will be like this but with so many different forecasts somebodys got to be right:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Hooter23

So the Accuweather forecast is also saying high pressure will build to the north of us like others forecasts ive read and with scandinavia forecast to have "abnormally cold winter" it shouldn't take much for that cold to filter down in our direction around the high pressure...

Im making up my own forecast now lol:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

joujoujou wrote: »
    Snow IS falling now!

..in Poland. :D

Teasing bordering on mental cruelty should be banned in a snow-lovers thread :mad:

I'm gonna report you....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Some pictures of our first snowfall this season in southern Poland. Very early (October 12th).

About 12cm in all, but it will all be a slushy mess today as the heat builds again for the weekend!

Kept us all on our toes as many people hadn't changed their tyres over to winters (I had last week as I saw the charts).

365344.jpg

365345.jpg

365346.jpg

ken76 wrote: »

Story destoryed itself before it started. Migratory birds from Siberia? Alot of Siberia is getting snow now early in the year, MAYBE that's why they migrated!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Mod note
    Reports of overnight Autumn frosts etc moved to the Autumn Chat Thread
    Can we keep this one for discussing the coming winter please otherwise it gets a bit messy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Good article here about the silliness of long range "forecasting". If you are time limited, skip to the last two paragraphs.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Irelandcool

http://www.accuweather.com/en/features/trend/north-atlantic-cold-blob-could-affect-gulf-stream-weather-europe-eastern-us/52869594

Just wondering how will this affect our weather this winter. Normally due to the gulf stream our winters normally escape but with this we might be in for a harsh winter. (cold blob, reminds me of the blob in of of california but its much warmer).

HighLine wrote: »
    Good article here about the silliness of long range "forecasting". If you are time limited, skip to the last two paragraphs.

Very very well written article that deserves recognition. I'm going to share it on Facebook and to anyone who says " Oh Ireland is gonna get a cold winter" is going to have it in their inbox immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Shaking in my car for 5 minutes this morning......it's coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Ice on my windscreen yesterday morning. It has triggered my winter wonderland excitement!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the first morning of the year where I turn on the tap water and its absolutely freezing cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

http://en.sat24.com/en/gb/visual
    The east coast cloud together with the cold breeze out there now reminds me of 2010! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement